Impressions?

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's...fine. Some of the puzzles are clever. The thing that really gets me is the game seems insistent on taking away control as often as possible - there are just so many cutscenes that it's almost absurd how much your flow is interrupted by watching Luigi get scared by a new ghost, or watching that ghost go to another room, or watching Luigi put a button into the elevator, or watching little animations play out, there are so many points on every floor where you just have to watch. I want to like the game, it's incredibly charming on the surface, but it's so disinterested in letting me actually play that it's difficult to get too invested.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I haven't noticed that at all, I spend so much time tearing rooms apart with glee and exploring that the brief cutscenes hardly feel intrusive. This is one of my favorite games this year by a long shot and the multiplayer is great!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm enjoying it but i'm not of fan of how segmented the game feels, I had the same problem with the last game. I like exploring labrinthyne areas that interconnects and opens up in cool ways, which doesnt really happen when you're encouraged to just tackle each floor without looking back.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a great time so far myself, got maybe six hours played. I love the fact that the game's mostly linear and not just a gigantic, sprawling open area. Now there's actually a chance that I'll play through it in a timely manner and won't get bored.

Also vacuuming up everything that you can is very satisfying and makes some special part of my brain very happy.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving it so far. Forgot how charming all the little animations in these games are. It's like a Nintendo clay animation. Now I want to go back and play the original game over.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

It's a blast

morningcoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like it. I like it more than Odyssey which is the only other big switch game I've played besides Botw.

stugd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: I pretty much feel exactly like this. I'm having fun, but I feel like it's just a pattern of "Go to a floor, do one or two puzzles, fight a boss." I don't remember the last game feeling that way. I'd like a more continuous world. The co op is great, though.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it, though I've noticed some visual oversights where you can see past a room and into the void a couple of times, which is weird for Nintendo.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MocBucket62

I’m digging it. It feels incredibly satisfying to vacuum everything in the rooms/hotels, the amount of destructible environments is surprising and a lot of fun to destroy and the slam mechanic is solid, especially when you slam ghosts into breakable tables or other objects. The fact that you can slam ghosts into tables alone makes this the best wrestling game of 2019. Also this game is my front runner for best collection of boss fights in 2019 so far. A lot of fun to fight and filled with tons of personality. Pretty happy they got back to the idea of portrait ghosts from the first game. The controls were hard to get used to at first, but I found a layout that felt smoother (using the L and R button rather than b and y). I feel certain Luigi’s Mansion 3 will be a lock on my personal top 10.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am enjoying it, especially sucking up everything you can in a room like others have said, and alot of the puzzles are fairly clever but my least favourite part is actually fighting ghosts...

Although I can't play for more than an hour without getting frustrated by the frankly cumbersome controls. Don't remember that being an issue on the Gamecube but that was a long as time ago and I was just a kid; never played Dark Moon.

The goofy humour is surprisingly charming too. I laugh every time Luigi answers the VB: "Hello?" or enters a room "Helloooooo?". It's just funny man.

Avatar image for deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb
deactivated-6373f6c34cbfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it. The difficulty is perfect for me. I’ve never felt the need to look something up, which is saying a lot for me. Although, since that cat ran away I’m kind of lost...

Looks great, and I’m really happy with the amount of cutscenes.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Came here to vent... I love Luigi’s Mansion 1, did not play part 2, but usually love anything Nintendo. I have some negative things to say about the game.

This game was a blast for all of about like 4 hours. I now think I hate it and will probably only finish it due to wanting to see where it goes.

The controls are pretty bad, but manageable for the most part. However, the section I’m currently on is absolute hot garbage. You’ll know the section when you get there, I don’t wanna ruin it if anyone cares. It involves water. There is no saving this part, it’s a slog and is not fun.

The one person is right, the floors have devolved into solve a puzzle or two and fight a boss. This brings me to my next point, bosses. It’s hard to say much and not ruin things, but they have been pretty bad. Extremely tight windows, dragging on for no apparent reason, attacks that sometimes seem completely unavoidable, and overall frustrating without ever feeling like a payoff when you finally do win.

Why does Luigi only run after walking for a bit? This comes into play especially against bosses. You need him to run badly, but no he’s just gonna do as he likes.

The floors themselves started out interesting, but seem to have become more and more of a chore. The level involving a tree especially comes to mind. I hope the last few floors are a bit better.

I could go on but bottom line is, I want to like this game but am getting more and more irritated as it goes on, to the point that I don’t know that I even like the game anymore. Beware for people out there in the fence, try before you buy. I’ll try and update if I do end up finishing it.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mudkatt: also want to add that I agree, the animations will drive you insane. Especially while money is disappearing. But yes way too many forced animations.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some say it's a lot like Van Gogh, but I'm more leaning towards Claude Monet.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's one if most outright charming and funny games to ever come out of Nintendo. Big fan, especially with the sheer amount of imagination and fantastic animation ever scene/level has

altdimension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Just finished it. I've only ever played the first Luigi's Mansion and and I didn't enjoy the format of moving from floor to floor - once I had left I didn't feel compelled to go back (if I didn't get all the gems first time around I didn't bother).

Overall, I thought it was pretty meh - a solid 3/5. Some of the puzzles and bosses were quite annoying and the controls get in the way too.

MudKatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished it today, the last 1/3 of the game is a lot better than the middle section. Overall I’d say it’s just aight. I think the linearity puts a real damper on things. If it had more of a Metroid style of letting you explore and see what you can get into, I think it would have been better.