Is Mad Max doomed?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I feel sorry for this game, from what I've played I love it, and I don't think it's getting the recognition is deserves next to Metal Gear Solid V (not suprising). Do you guys think there will ever be a sequel, or has a bad release date doomed it?

It really feels like I'm the only one out here playing it... Anyone else really enjoying it?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It looks like a generic Ubisoft open-world game template with Mad Max assets on top. It doesn't look bad but it simply looks middling and I'd rather watch Fury Road again to get my Mad Max fix.

Also welcome back, Neku. Maybe I'm not as active on the forums as I used to be because I haven't seen you here in a while, thought you died

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It was a really bad choice of release date.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By a_e_martin

Seems to me like there are plenty of people playing and enjoying it (myself included). Have you seen the Steam reviews?

As for a sequel, I wonder if that was ever in the cards anyway... I guess we'll see.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've finished it yesterday, and while I feel it's nowhere as flawed as the games media reviews make it out to be, it isn't like it's outstanding either. For example I can't really argue against most of the criticisms Alex has raised, most of them are valid. And while I've enjoyed the game for the most part; it is pretty boilerplate in it's design and it's no rough gem. Just your decent average game at most. About on par with Shadow of Mordor for me ... it's comfort food. What I am trying to say is it was not ever really going to shine imo, even if it did come out a bit earlier/later then MGS. It's going to be remembered and/or forgotten on it's own merits, in the long term that is.

That said being released the same week as MGS5 certainly did not do it any favors, as it didn't do to a lot of pretty rad games that came out in it's shadow.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Its a good mindless open world game that isn't at all special. It looks nice and plays well but came released the same day one of the most anticipated games of the generation came out that has received glowing reviews. It's kind of doomed, think it'll have a cult following of sorts and will be a game that'll get boosts in sales during steam sales, but as for now? I consider it a commercial failure (at least as far as I can tell)

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm having a blast with Max. Might be my favorite game this year, until Just Cause. Gameplay, setting, graphics, physics all top notch. Only real downside is the characters. Super bland.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game would have scored the same no matter in what time slot, though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, being released the same day as MGSV affected the game sales-wise for sure. Other than that, it's not necessarily a make-or-break game for Avalanche since they have Just Cause 3 in the hopper and in a way I'm kinda glad as long as those guys get to keep making games.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I beat it yesterday morning and enjoyed my time with it. I'm most likely going to 100% it over the rest of this week before Super Mario Maker on Friday (Like ~10 scrap locations and some races left to do). Thinking about it a bit, I came away asking myself: Does it need a sequel?

For me at least, it covered all the bases I was looking for from a Mad Max game. I was able to drive around a desert wasteland and wreck shit up with a car that I customized the way I wanted it do drive. Eventually, I ended up really liking how the melee combat was a bit clunkier than Batman. I completely understand how someone might really dislike it but I liked how it makes sense from the perspective that Max is a brawler (And you're fighting on sand).

However, being set in the Mad Max universe, how do you vary the locale up with a sequel? The world is basically a giant desert wasteland. There's only so much they have to work with, setting wise. Story wise, where do you go? Having the three factions duke it out over a new water source or something?

We'll have to wait for some sales numbers, but the PC version has been basically half off the entire time already so it seemed like it's been selling quite a bit there at least. Gaming media hasn't seemed to hot on it but the general public looks to be more positive. With another movie looking highly possible, I could see another game being made but I don't think there needs to be another, at this point at least.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure the game will pick up a bit during sales, but it's just a bad day to release the game. Seems okay, nothing horrible.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was excited about it beforehand but got bored with it real fast. There's just a lot of uninspired design decisions which all add up and make a very tedious and boring game. Why make us pick up loot when there's really only one type of loot (scrap)? The game would've scored higher for me if it just had something like experience or cash instead of scrap.. I'm sure you can finish the game without buying a single upgrade but that would've been even more boring.

Bought MGS the day after and haven't touched Mad Max since.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

some games get a pass some games don't, there's no real logic to it, but these internet trends must be terrifying for a developer.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both, and i actually think Mad Max is better than middling, but yea its similar to MGSV in ways and its not nearly as good. Thats not even a knock against Mad Max but this metal gear game is really, really fun to play and hard to put down even after beating the story stuff.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine this getting a sequel without another movie being released for that awareness bump.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Evilsbane

Guys I have a great idea lets release this game on the same day as one of the best games ever made, it will go great I promise.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Awful release date paired with it's lukewarm reception from critics means I have no expectations that this will sell well at all. I do wanna play it someday (I think it looks pretty cool) but I couldn't buy it over MGS V.

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jerry Holkins (Tycho) at Penny Arcade liked it enough for it to draw a bit of ire from him about the review score systems used by sites and their inconsistencies: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/09/04/biblicality

Not having played the game myself I can't say what I think it plays like. PA do have some following though, so my guess is that it could work in their favour when they start to discount/publisher themed sale/bundle it. (Yes Steam, I'm looking at you)

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well they could have waited and released it on the same day as fallout 4... :-/

I have it on pc and played like an hour while i downloaded MGSV, it seems like a good game from what i played hopefully i'll get around to it. Doesn't seem all that long if you skip the side stuff.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like a game that good benefit from a sequel to iron out the kinks.

Also keep in mind that two outstanding open world games(Witcher 3 and MGSV) came out this year, so any flaws this game does have seem even greater in comparison to those games.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: OH MAN FALLOUT 4. Man. By the time I get bored with mgs, fallout will be out. I'm so happy :,)

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cloudnineboya

Waiting for a price drop on this one can't handle another open world game, still playing metal gear. I like the look of it so will be a good filler when no games to play.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I intend on picking up a copy once I am done with Metal Gear.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It could be a slow burn seller, it is not terrible so sales might trickle for awhile. I think this fall people might go back and pick it up, after they are done with Metal Gear.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I faked my own death! Haha, but thanks :) I really need to start visiting Giant Bomb as much as I used to, I'm so out of the loop.

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope it isn't doomed, haha. I'm about 9% of the way through it and I've been having fun so far. It's certainly an Avalanche Studios game, for better or ill. The combat feels weighty and does the Batman: Arkham franchise fighting system justice, and the vehicular combat is suitably psychotic and bizarre. The graphics are pretty nice, the framerate is fairly consistent, and I really like Chumbucket and Dinki-Di. They're like a little warped family for ol' Max. Avalanche Studios still has the chops for making open-world games.

However, they also still like to make overly large open worlds and then fill them with repetitive side-missions, collectible rubbish, and other standard genre-fluff to the point of madness. Of the five zones in the game, the three largest are subdivided into six different sub-zones that seemingly each have 6ish scarecrows, 2 sniper towers, 3 camps, a convoy, and 2 minefields. Each camp I've done so far involved blowing up tanks of fuel to screw over Scrotus while fighting some goons along the way (at least they become ally-owned when you're done, like in Far Cry 3. Much appreciated). Once you do enough of these, you can lower the threat level for the overall zone. So, you start at 5 and grind your way down 0 by repeating activities.

Oh, and there are numerous scavenger camps that all include bits of scrap and collectibles. Each zone has a fortress with very nice amenities (free fuel, free water, free food, unlimited ammo, scrap accrual while you aren't playing, etc)... but you have to unlock these perks by finding still more collectibles strewn across the myriad afore-mentioned locations. Oh, and there are "towers" just like Far Cry (only now they're air balloons), a vast number of character and vehicle upgrades all tied to scrap (which you have to grind up), MORE character upgrades tied to completing a large list of challenges, and yeah... it's a bit much.

I kind of wish they'd made a world half the size with more varied content and less grinding / filler, but having just completed the "Draenor Pathfinder" achievement in World of Warcraft for flying in Draenor... eh, this is tolerable by comparison. :-P Frankly, I've found it quite enjoyable so long as I build a virtual to-do list. Kill the scarecrows and snipers on my way to a camp, conquer the camp, rinse and repeat until the zone has no more camps to do, and then move on while buying whatever upgrades I can afford. I just got knuckle-dusters, wrist bracers, spike wheel rims, a shoulder charge, and a gutshot finisher... so I've made progress that's more satisfying that watching three reputation bars slowly crawl up while running the same raid over and over each week in the hopes of literally getting a new pair of pants. *shrug*

At least the bases don't endlessly spawn waves of goons like Just Cause 2 did, and at least the number of collectibles is lower than Just Cause 2... I guess. We're heading in the right direction, bit by bit. Forward momentum! :-D

By the way, credit where credit is due: the checkpoint system in this game is a welcome friend after the heck that Bloodborne put me through. Yeah, the lack of regenerating health can get a bit tedious when you get whittled down on your way to a camp and die from a flubbed parry. However, your death penalty is only a slightly long loading screen before you re-appear inside such said camp with full health and any ammo you had used prior to death in such said camp. I went from being flustered (WHAT? Now I have to drive all the way back here and hope no one gets a cheap pot shot on me along the way?) to relieved and smiling. This game wants me to kick $%$ and conquer, and I certainly appreciate that sentiment. It encourages me to go feral and high-octane crazy, while being just inconvenient enough with the loading screen to make me think before I destroy. Good balance, hehe.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

A friend of mine who is enjoying Mad Max alot summed it all up "If you didn't play Arkham Knight or MGS V, its pretty good"

Also, wasteland wise, Fallout 4 is not that far off yo

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It very well might be doomed. It's that release date. Not only is it hitting with MGS, it's also hitting a few months before Just Cause 3. I hate to say, but they may have done a whole lot better if they rushed the game to land with the movie.

I haven't played it, but I'm guessing it's gonna be the sort of game that Red Faction: Guerilla was for me. A flawed gem that a handful of people will remember fondly.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Junkboy

I really wanted to play this game but mgs consumed me. I feel bad too but hope to come back to it at some point. Sorry mad max. :(

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is it with this game? Why do people who like it feel the need to express worry about it like it's an injured puppy? There are more people defending it from naysayers than there are naysayers, and it's not even like the naysayers are that horrible to the game. Opinions on Mad Max range from middling disinterest to vehement defense.

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By stinger061

I really couldn't care less what the media or wider internet thinks of this game. I'm really enjoying it and the fact it's received a few poor reviews doesn't impact that despite what the comment sections seem to think.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the sales wont be too bad? I mean you can get it right freaking now for $36. That is not a bad deal at all for a game most people say is fun. There sure fucked up that release date though.