MTG: Duels is done

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

MTG: Duels is done getting updates.

I should have feelings about this since this is by far my most played free to play game ever, and likely my most played game that isn't EverQuest or World of Warcraft. I played it on the Xbox at least a couple nights a week for a couple years after release. At first I was playing to get my magic fix, then I was stubbornly chasing that 500 quests completed achievement, which was kind of bugged. I finally got the achievement and I haven't touched the game since. My Xbox says I have 17 days 8 hours played, and almost 1200 solo battles won, both of which make me a little queasy. The game was clunky and loaded slow but I still had fun with it until I made it a pointless slog. I wish I had that time back to put into other games, but at least I have the experience of grinding out a rare achievement (0.03% of players) and feeling nothing when it unlocked.

I also didn't put any money into the game at all. The value never felt good, and I got enough currency through the daily quest grind. That might explain why they are retiring it; that and the fact that it is a buggy mess of a program that never worked well. I put a bunch of money (hundreds of bucks) into MTG Online a long time ago so maybe it evens out?

Not sure if any other duders played, but I am kind of sad to see it die, and so soon. Also sad to lose my card collection. I might mess with whatever they come out with next; I enjoyed the other MTG console games, but I am not putting no 17 days into another Magic game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Firstly, it sucks about you losing your collection.

But secondly, I'm not sad or surprised it died. MTG Duels was always a terrible solution. I'm not really sure how Wizards consistently screw up making a video game adaptation of their ludicrously popular card game. I can kinda see why MTGO is a complete mess from a design/UI point of view, because the mechanics of Magic are hard. But it's long past time they put out a good client that looked like a modern ass video game and didn't have a gimped card and format selection.

Something that had the visual polish of a Hearthstone and allowed you to play Standard Constructed and Limited Drafts/Sealed events with the latest sets seems like a no brainer to me - but I guess Magic players are expected to suffer through MTGO for that.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They waited years to implement what everyone was asking for: the ability to make your own decks with the supplied cards. Instead they produced annual set priced products and resorted to IAP only in reaction to the market and far too late. Sadly, they would've had a head start had they listened.