Giant Bomb Private Tournaments

CharlieCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CharlieCon

Let's get this thing going. I have a tournament running with fairly standard rules to being with. Hopefully we can make this a regular thing.

Tournament Code: 61-8561-1900-5750

• Forest Course, 18 holes, standard tees
  • No character restrictions
  • Normal wind
  • Items On (sort of regretting this, but oh well)
  • Ends on May 9 at 6:23 AM

To access a private tournament, select the following:

1. Mario Golf (Quickplay) on Main Menu
  2. Tournaments
  3. Private Tournament
  4. Search by Code

Good luck, y'all.

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

OK I will give this a shot, still getting back in the swing of things... Hur Hur Hur :P

Truckalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tee Leazy only knows one way to golf! 100% go! 0% show! (tee pun sort-of intended)

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't booted up the game yet, but amazon says its at my doorstep when I get home. Excited to give this a go. Has anyone done one of these yet? Do we know if it takes your first score for the tournament or if you can retry to get a better score, etc.

CharlieCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakfastking: From what I've played of public tournaments, you can retry as much as you want until the end date of the tournament. Not sure if that's different for private tourneys, but I'd be surprised.

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breakfastking: From what I've played of public tournaments, you can retry as much as you want until the end date of the tournament. Not sure if that's different for private tourneys, but I'd be surprised.

It's the same.

Also I just posted a -8 round as Walugi. (a fairly respectable score I think) Not bad since I have not played that course yet since I was too busy trying to get a good round on Peach's course for the Official Nintendo Tourney.

A tip from me, I would recommend saving your Bomb and Whirlwind shots till you reach a Par 3 course.

Good Luck guys! :)

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I shot a -10 which I thought was good seeing how I just bought the game, haven't played Mario Golf in years and didn't really know what any of the items did.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@dandead said:

A tip from me, I would recommend saving your Bomb and Whirlwind shots till you reach a Par 3 course.

I actually found the whirlwind much more useful on holes with extreme uphill slopes. There's one Par 5 where the green is at the top of a big hill that is reachable in two if you use the whirlwind item.

I'm currently sitting at -15.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

completely forgot this came out today, but hell i didn't even know the kirby game even EXISTED.

wonder how that is...

Askherserenity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Askherserenity

Going to join in on the tournament with you guys in a bit. Hoping you all suck.

dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DAYOM! Looks like I gotta give it another shot lol.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just finished my round. Yeah... items... I'm not a huge fan, especially from the front tees.

I shot a 21-under (sorry for bumping you into second, Brian!). Three eagles going out (one almost an albatross/double eagle), only one coming in. At least a birdie on every hole except 17 (damnit). This was my best single course score to date (previous was -17 also on the forest) but I've been playing a lot of the challenges lately after "wrapping up" the Castle Club championships. I was using my Mii - 240 drive, straight shot, medium trajectory (slightly less than half sweet spot and control).

Like the game says, drive for show, putt for dough. Fuck, I love Mario Golf. Played so much 64 and GBC back in the day, and played a bunch of Toadstool Tour, though not as voraciously. 64 was one of the few games my dad really liked to play (we play golf together for real, so makes sense).

Love this community and proud to hit the links with ghosts of other duders' balls flying all over the place around me.

BreakfastKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted a -13 I think. Not bad, but I'll be trying again for sure.

Definitely not a fan of items.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Got a -13. Also for shits and giggles and used Star Gold Mario and holy crap does he hit far. Also he is great for racking up Coins very quickly.

CharlieCon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's safe to say for Giant Bomb Tournament #2 we should go ahead and skip items. For some reason when I created the tournament, I thought it would just give us a handful of starting items and not litter the courses with them.

Glad to see more people piling into the tournament! I'd love it if this became a regular, on-going thing.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17 rmanthorp  Moderator

I reeeeaaallly wanna get this game.... (although I just bought a Wii U...)

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving this so far, just got my first hole in one with waluigi. I'll practice a little more than try the tournament

Truckalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Truckalicious

-14 with ma boi Toad. Might have been better if not for super-topspin + the hubris of man -_-

Robogiggletron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant beat the waluigi

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

cant beat the waluigi

Waluigi is awesome in this game. :D

Put up a -12 with him, think that's about the best I'm going to do, lol. That placed me at about 10th on the leaderboard.

omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who is this "Rob" bearing a Canadian flag? -19!? He dares to challenge me atop the scoreboard?

Seriously though, good on you. Decisively in 2nd place. How will this all end? Who knows?

And on an unrelated note, fuck Sky Island. The One-On, One-Putt demon returns from Toadstool Tour, but now you get to do it a whole bunch of times. Once in Castle Club to unlock it for the other modes, then there are two star coin challenges for basically doing it again (one is actually just doing it again, the other is scoring -9 or better on those same holes, so unless you hole-out, it's the same thing). And then there's the 18-hole version of the same thing. What will break first - my completionist compulsion? Or my sanity?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ripelivejam

u guyz suk

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lets play neo turf masters instead

Ackbarguo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am now sitting in first with -22. Lot's of the par 4's are reachable in one shot with items (Bullet Bill, Mushroom, Fire Flower) , so eagle's are very possible on lots of holes. I'm not sure how I feel about items overall. I only have the 18-hole One-on One-putt left to do before I am done with that horrible course, and my goodness is it frustrating (gotten as far as the 15th hole...). I remember it was the last thing i had to do on the gamecube version.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i should get better at game. also wondering if i should grab the DLC.

fire flower eh???....

omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ackbarguo: Damnit! I knew missing that birdie putt on 17 would come back to bite me. Well done! I will happily accept 2nd place to a performance like yours (or 3rd if someone else places above me... or 4th if two people... you get what I mean).

I will not attempt to improve my score, treating this like, you know, an actual tournament. Plus, there's so much else in this game to work on. Star Coins, Moon Coins, Costume Challenges, the 18-hole One-On, One-Putt, the weekly official tournaments, the Extra and Endless Shot, Approach, and Putt Challenges. This game may not be laid out well (at all), but there is a ton to do.

Truckalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omniscientcajun: What is this 'Moon Coin' you speak of? Some late-game secret currency?

omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truckalicious:

After you collect 90 Star Coins (there are 100 in the base game, plus 10 for each dlc course), you will unlock the Moon Coin challenges. For every Star Coin Challenge, there is a Moon Coin Challenge that is much more challenging.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we having any more of these?

bigevil1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By bigevil1987

Yeah, I'd like to play in one.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@charliecon: You should keep updating the main post with new tournaments, seems like enough people are interested.

Truckalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

Yeah, I'd like to play in one.

I'd be in on this too, if just for a chance to place better than 16th :/

omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I'm definitely in for another. Also, congratulations to @ackbarguo (Rob from Canada) for taking 1st in the inaugural GB Forums Tourney.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By downloaded

Anyone still interested in some 3DS golfing? Arrived to the party late and am looking for people to play with :).