StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By StaticFalconar

It’s MahVal BayBee!!!!!

Ok I just had to do that. I had just finished a 3 hour session today and at the end of it I’m not so much burnt out but in shock and awe as to just I have played. So much that I rather spend the rest of my play time going through mission/training mode, and just messing around to see what is possible. (I have played about 50 matches so far, both online (only friendly matches with people on my friends list), and off)

The first thing I did when I popped the game in, I had to remap the buttons. I didn’t even look at what the default buttons are, I just knew this is a versus game and so I wanted the buttons to play like them. From what I’ve read, the magic combo system is back with a twist so I just mapped the face buttons to be light, medium, hard as the same as jab, short, medium is just about all the other fighting games. This way the muscle memory is still there and I felt right at home.

But this sure isn’t the same games from the past. As a direct comparison, lets just take MVC2. Now the general, general feel from MVC2 is that you have one guy to lead, and the second guy will be the assist to it makes it easier to get in, and the third anchor can be just someone that is descent in both departments or go all in and have another really good assist character. Generally in MVC2, if you lost one character, its generally over already unless your opponent starts to relax too much and let his guard down. However in MVC3, its seriously a whole new game.

To get the most damage for the least work, you have to tag characters in and out frequently (extended aerial combos, DHC, etc).I would not be surprised if some old school players stick to their guns and have a team that revolves around one character only, but that is now just only one way to play the game. Without making this into a big rant, I’ll just simply say, no matter what your play style is, there is a team that will work for you. Super defensive zoning, Rush that shit down, Traps for days, its all there.

I can see I’m about to write a full page already, so I’ll just leave my last paragraph on the early criticism from the only people that I care about; the old school MVC2 crowed. From all the FrameAdvantage vids I have seen, the old school crowed generally likes it but has only one reserve about it; the damage output is too high. I can understand that since there have been matches where I was afraid to use my assist even since a random super could catch them and they would be already half dead. Then there is also the fact that one long combo with a super finisher takes off over 50% of most characters’ life. But as long as Capcom kept their promise and there is no such thing as infinites in this game, the damage output makes up for it. Remember guys, in MVC2, just one touch from someone say Magneto even if he’s the only guy left, he could turn the entire match around (the MVC2 crowed accepted that). The same thing is happening here, except the barrier of entry is just lowered so more people can get into this game easier. Before you get all elitist and say: “back in my days, I had practice for 8 hours a day just to learn this combo thing..” Just stop. While some dexterity should be required to stop the button mashers, Fighting games (imo) should be more about the mind games of controlling space, getting in, and making your opponent second guess himself that he might as well slap a wig on. Forcing people to have hands like Liberace is not the point.

This is only my first impression after all, watch I go back on my own word latter down the line. But what do you guys think? Is the damage set too high with too easy of controls?   

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

It’s MahVal BayBee!!!!!

Ok I just had to do that. I had just finished a 3 hour session today and at the end of it I’m not so much burnt out but in shock and awe as to just I have played. So much that I rather spend the rest of my play time going through mission/training mode, and just messing around to see what is possible. (I have played about 50 matches so far, both online (only friendly matches with people on my friends list), and off)

The first thing I did when I popped the game in, I had to remap the buttons. I didn’t even look at what the default buttons are, I just knew this is a versus game and so I wanted the buttons to play like them. From what I’ve read, the magic combo system is back with a twist so I just mapped the face buttons to be light, medium, hard as the same as jab, short, medium is just about all the other fighting games. This way the muscle memory is still there and I felt right at home.

But this sure isn’t the same games from the past. As a direct comparison, lets just take MVC2. Now the general, general feel from MVC2 is that you have one guy to lead, and the second guy will be the assist to it makes it easier to get in, and the third anchor can be just someone that is descent in both departments or go all in and have another really good assist character. Generally in MVC2, if you lost one character, its generally over already unless your opponent starts to relax too much and let his guard down. However in MVC3, its seriously a whole new game.

To get the most damage for the least work, you have to tag characters in and out frequently (extended aerial combos, DHC, etc).I would not be surprised if some old school players stick to their guns and have a team that revolves around one character only, but that is now just only one way to play the game. Without making this into a big rant, I’ll just simply say, no matter what your play style is, there is a team that will work for you. Super defensive zoning, Rush that shit down, Traps for days, its all there.

I can see I’m about to write a full page already, so I’ll just leave my last paragraph on the early criticism from the only people that I care about; the old school MVC2 crowed. From all the FrameAdvantage vids I have seen, the old school crowed generally likes it but has only one reserve about it; the damage output is too high. I can understand that since there have been matches where I was afraid to use my assist even since a random super could catch them and they would be already half dead. Then there is also the fact that one long combo with a super finisher takes off over 50% of most characters’ life. But as long as Capcom kept their promise and there is no such thing as infinites in this game, the damage output makes up for it. Remember guys, in MVC2, just one touch from someone say Magneto even if he’s the only guy left, he could turn the entire match around (the MVC2 crowed accepted that). The same thing is happening here, except the barrier of entry is just lowered so more people can get into this game easier. Before you get all elitist and say: “back in my days, I had practice for 8 hours a day just to learn this combo thing..” Just stop. While some dexterity should be required to stop the button mashers, Fighting games (imo) should be more about the mind games of controlling space, getting in, and making your opponent second guess himself that he might as well slap a wig on. Forcing people to have hands like Liberace is not the point.

This is only my first impression after all, watch I go back on my own word latter down the line. But what do you guys think? Is the damage set too high with too easy of controls?   

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

Back in my day, I really couldn't play any MVC2...

Well aside from Cable, Bulleta, Morrigan... Did pretty well against my buddies (All of us were scrubs, all the time, still today).

Tron, Ammy, Dante is the team I'm trying first for MVC3 I think... When it arrives anyways.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Has it taken you for a ride?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By StarvingGamer

Everything you said was spot on. The only only ONLY thing that I'm not super thrilled about is X-Factor. It does offer for some strategy but it also makes it WAY too easy to make a comeback. Part of me wonders if they might end up changing the handicap for tournaments to make the damage less insane.

Also general hatred towards you because Amazon fucked up my release day shipping. Can't wait to get in some matches.

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By bearshamanbro

I'm liking the low barrier to entry. The commands are pretty manageable and I do like how you can switch between learning characters pretty easy because of this. The fear is that many characters start to feel/play the same but I think you still have to play each character to their individual strengths and know the matchups. Even though the inputs are the same the actual resulting moves are quite different. Hopefully this game is easier to stay sharp on without playing everyday because of this and the game is more about fundamentals and mind games than overcomplicated execution or glitches. Not sure how I feel about the high damage yet. Looking at it as a whole team, 50% health on one character is really only ~16% of your total health which is not too bad. At least so far it feels like comebacks are easier so if you lose someone early it's not the end of the match (which seems to counter-balance the high damage). Chip damage does seem really high to me though and the supers maybe have to much priority (a lot of times they seem to get off despite there not appearing to be enough time to get them off safely). My first impressions are really good too, I just hope the game holds together as people start dissecting it more in-depth.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By l4wd0g

I'm a lot better at MvC3 than I am at Super Street Fighter 4. I think you're right about it being the lower barrier to entry. I'm not playing on simple mode, but it just feels better. The Galactus battle kicked my ass hard though. Thanks for the impressions. 

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar
@l4wd0g said:
" I'm a lot better at MvC3 than I am at Super Street Fighter 4. I think you're right about it being the lower barrier to entry. I'm not playing on simple mode, but it just feels better. The Galactus battle kicked my ass hard though. Thanks for the impressions.  "
For the galactus battle, actually let two of your teamates die (but make sure you stored up many supers) then use X factor and super spam away. I think that match is designed so that only one person can survive the battle (so the only member left would be the story ending you see).  

@StarvingGamer said:
" Everything you said was spot on. The only only ONLY thing that I'm not super thrilled about is X-Factor. It does offer for some strategy but it also makes it WAY too easy to make a comeback. Part of me wonders if they might end up changing the handicap for tournaments to make the damage less insane.  Also general hatred towards you because Amazon fucked up my release day shipping. Can't wait to get in some matches. "
I kinda with you there. I mean we all saw the vid of dark phoenix Reverse OCV, but I have actually been able to do that with other characters as well (or got really close to it). Honestly though that kind of crasyness is what i expected from this game anyway. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@StaticFalconar said:
"Before you get all elitist and say: “back in my days, I had practice for 8 hours a day just to learn this combo thing..” Just stop. While some dexterity should be required to stop the button mashers, Fighting games (imo) should be more about the mind games of controlling space, getting in, and making your opponent second guess himself that he might as well slap a wig on. Forcing people to have hands like Liberace is not the point."
You described, in perfect detail, my feelings on the evolution of fighting games. The lower entry barrier does not infer that the game is inherently scrubby. Simply streamlining controls allows the player to focus on the meta-game, and not making sure he is pressing an absurd button sequence in perfect order.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By ProfessorEss

I hate it.
I hate it for the same reasons I hate Street Fighter IV.
I hate them because I don't like fighting games very much anymore but they're sooooooo beautiful that I really wish they were action games.

Man I wish someone would make a God of War or Just Cause style game that looked like SFIV or MvC3.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By TwilitEnd656

My biggest problem lies with Sentinel. His very presence seems to mean an instant disadvantage on my part.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Red12b

People who spam arther lances are fucking cunts, I wiped this one guy last night he had 9 wins streak so I knew he was cheap going in, I had Wolvie with assist from Ryu with Hadoken and they guy just tried to lance me, he got me once with the hyper but I fucking punished him. 

fucking prick.