There is a trailer for the Remaster

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I don't know if I feel more or less positive about Mass Effect than I did back in the day. Having to write game guides for some of these games (maybe all of them?) probably sapped a lot of my enjoyment out of them. But I know people dig 'em!

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

That sure looks like Mass Effect!

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Seems to me like the current 4K character models and AI-upscaled cutscenes available via PC mods already look as good or better.

Have they said anything about gameplay changes?

Enjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enjay

I saw Steam has a preorder page. Its makes me sad and miss old Bioware. I don't want remasters of the original games, I want fresh (good) games from them.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bigsocrates  Online

@enjay: But what if instead they gave you Anthem on PS5 and added some sweet anniversary cosmetics to the mico-transaction store?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigsocrates  Online

@zoofame: Except there's no multiplayer. Which won't matter for some people, but the multiplayer in those games was actually pretty good.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually excited about this. Unless something changed, there wasn't a reasonable way to get all of the DLC for 2 other than paying full price for them. I wasn't about to spend that money to buy the DLC when I got the game for less than $10. Actually that's the reason I stopped playing ME2.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enjay said:

I saw Steam has a preorder page. Its makes me sad and miss old Bioware. I don't want remasters of the original games, I want fresh (good) games from them.

So much this. Getting a ton of remakes is pretty much admitting you're out of ideas. Plus, I'm not exactly eager to pick at this particular scab, knowing both the shit show of the original trilogy's ending and the wet fart of Andromeda that followed it.

Avatar image for lapsariangiraff
lapsariangiraff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly a bit disappointing. I was expecting a more serious remaster, but this appears to be a basic res-up. Between this, Burnout, and Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, EA is 0/3 with remasters for me lately. Shrug.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By FacelessVixen

I already have everything for the original games, and there are mods to get ultrawide working. I'm good.

But, if the .jpeg skyboxes in ME2 get upgraded to either .png of .tif...

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mellotronrules

as a recovering mass effect fan- it's a little difficult to summon excitement for a spec bump remaster (especially when i own these games on PC already). i'm finding myself with the strange experience of the more time passes- the more complicated my feelings get re: those games. i still marvel at the worldbuilding and audio/visual elements- but the character work isn't as compelling as it used to be. and shephard really is a husk of a character- these days i prefer to take a walk in someone else's shoes than attempt to 'write my own story'...especially now that i know how this all concludes.

still- i suppose these will be neat for those who are experiencing it for the first time.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

@bigsocrates said:

@zoofame: Except there's no multiplayer. Which won't matter for some people, but the multiplayer in those games was actually pretty good.

No multiplayer for 3? That was the best part tbh.

Doesn't look like they did much for pc that they couldn't just do a patch for those who already own it, HDR will be nice though but that could just be patched in tbh.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the Gamespot article they're making a lot of gameplay changes to ME1, which is my favorite of the three. Guess I'll be buying this after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

After watching Mass Alex I feel like I just played this series and have little reason to get excited about this remaster.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Every game website I went to today had, like, 3-6 different articles about Mass Effect. Imagine the disappointment when the all find out Mass Effect died.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Some of those shots look real nice but I don't have it in me to replay Mass Effect again. I mean the level structure is still going to remain the same and those games were very much a product of their time in terms of level design. A LOT of those waist high blocks.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This looks fine but my real takeaway from the trailer is being reminded that ME sure had some good cinematography in the larger moments.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

"And over 40 DLC" is one hell of a statement. First of all, it's just weird to see "DLC" written like that. "Over 40 downloadable content." Just comes across as silly when you write it out like that. I wonder if they're counting, like, individual items from Dr. Pepper codes as DLC, too.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I sure did love the idea of Space Cops. But the rest of it, eh. Glad this is coming for the fans of the series.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

No multiplayer for 3? That was the best part tbh.

Doesn't look like they did much for pc that they couldn't just do a patch for those who already own it, HDR will be nice though but that could just be patched in tbh.

I still fire up the back-compat version of ME3 for multiplayer every once in a while. It is still good, and you can totally still buy lootboxes for it. I even think the prices are still in moonbucks.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I've played mass effect every year since it came out. Its the only game series I do that with other then halo from time to time so I guess it must be good!?

I look forward to having it on modern systems so my kids can play it one day and I can finally put the 360 on the curb before it red rings on me.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ehhh I see some people saying that mods already make the games look this good, and while they look good modded I've also seen someone post a comparison of original to the ALOT mod to legendary edition screenshots and legendary looks noticeably better side by side.

The trailer doesn't show it off very well but it's worth looking at the website to see the comparison shots of original to legendary on there.

Is that improvemrnt worth $60 on pc, I don't know. On console, for sure since you can't mod it there. ME1 getting UI changes and such is cool so maybe worth it on PC.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By development

Cool it’s the same game but with added DRM, and it’ll probably be awhile before Save Game editors work for it. Why would anyone want this? So many actually good remasters have shown how to do this the right way. No excuse for a huge company like BioWare to totally half-ass this.

Edit: actually I have no real dog in this race because I’ve come to realize the writing and game design of all these games, even the first, is not that good when stacked up against modern games written by millennials. No nostalgia for the series, really. No love of the gameplay.

pajamariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pajamariot

@development: Most remasters are touched up graphics + all DLC, which ones are you talking about here? Plus they are touching up ME1 mechanics and balance. From what I can tell, the original three games had DRM as well.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bigsocrates  Online
TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

After watching Mass Alex I feel like I just played this series and have little reason to get excited about this remaster.

@humanity said:

I mean the level structure is still going to remain the same and those games were very much a product of their time in terms of level design. A LOT of those waist high blocks.

These are kinda my reasons too and I’m always very mystified, when I read how someone has replayed just the first game like +20 times. I guess I’m little jealous too, that I have never held that kind of passion for any single-player game?

I feel like I could maybe be more tempted if 3’s ending wasn’t what it is and there’d actually be like a dozen different endings based on all your choices throughout the trilogy.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just a sad reminder that Bioware used to be good, then EA bought them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ehh, I've played through the Mass Effect series a few times and maybe I'll play through it again one day but this is just sharper and more texture-y. Not enough of a difference (even visually) to get me excited enough to purchase. I shouldn't be surprised; this trilogy wouldn't have made sense numbers-wise for EA to commit significant resources to make more meaningful updates.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The original games feel bad with a mouse and have no native controller support without mods. This is also a good chance to even out and improve the first game's bad gameplay - if they do that, sure, I'm sold. Also having all three games under one roof without the messy DLC situation these games have always had will be nice, especially for new players looking to get the entire package.

What I'm saying is, it seems all right to me.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@glots: I did a Paragon and a Renegade playthrough if I think each game with maybe the exception of 3 and that was enough for me. I remember being so crushed when my savegame of the first two games got corrupted on a memory stick when I was moving and I had to go into ME3 with a completely blank slate - then you realize all those choices didn’t really amount to anything..

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobsauce: I mean the entire series was released while they were owned by EA, and 2/3 were fully developed while under EA.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I never actually played these, partly because the gameplay for Mass 1 felt so dated by the time I bought them on Steam. So, I guess if they're making the mechanics a bit more uniform between the three games (which a couple of preview videos seemed to imply), I'll finally play the trilogy. I like space.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just a sad reminder that Bioware used to be good, then EA bought them.

Leaked footage of the EA board meeting with Bioware:

Loading Video...

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bigsocrates  Online

Red alert!

RED ALERT!

Miranda's butt has been nerfed in the remaster.

This is not a drill.

Truly we live in the darkest timeline.

This is obviously the right choice for a large number of reasons, but it does feel a little bit hypocritical in a game where the ability to get it on with NPCs was a major selling point and much discussed feature.

Like, yes, it was kind of misogynistic to just randomly provide a butt shot of not just a character but a character whose face was modeled after a real actress...but also it's not like they can desexualize Miranda, nor should they.

I kind of wish the butt shot was still in (despite the fact that it's sexist) because it really feels like something of a certain time and place in game development and the culture, and while it's definitely sexist it's not truly outrageous in the context of the game and the character.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they going to rewrite the 'she gets around' Shadow Broker files as well?

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ungodly

All I wanted them to do was put the “default” femshep in the first two games, and put controller support in the PC versions. Everything else they put in is just extra whipped cream.

This is my favorite series, and just putting everything in a neat package makes me happy. I feel like everyone wanted a remake, but I don’t. I love this series as is, and bringing new voice actors in, or redesigning everything whole hog, could be potentially awful. So a quick sprucing up, that makes it so I don’t have to mod everything to make it more enjoyable, is all I need.

It would have been great if they added some cut content, but the head guy of this thing made it seem like they had a specific time frame and budget. So they focused on what he thought was most important, and wanted to retain as much as possible the feeling of these games. The head dude seems like he’s doing a good job at mitigating expectations. These are prettier, hopefully better handling, and better running versions of games people love. Not having Pinnacle Station is a bummer, but only because of the apartment that made it easier to get the best armors. The actual station was kind of boring, I thought. Losing the multiplayer for three sucks, but it was always a novelty... albeit a novelty that was far better than anyone expected.

As far as charging 60 bucks, well I mean there’s a lot here, and they didn’t just pull a Mario 3D Allstars. Looking at the screenshots and videos, they put in some work. Also, I haven’t done the math, but if you’re buying all three of these games plus DLC (minus Pinnacle Station), wouldn’t you be spending over 60 dollars?

I don’t know, man. I’m pretty stoked about this thing, and I expected far less than what they’re now presenting. I really enjoy this series, and I’m super jazzed to play it all over again.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: In other words: "I respect women, but that ass, though."

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bigsocrates  Online

@facelessvixen: More like "This game is of a time and place, and this particular token attempt to sanitize that doesn't actually change the things that make it problematic."

Miranda's butt shot was very emblematic of the ways she was problematic as a character and getting rid of it doesn't fix those things, it just makes them easier to deny. In some ways it's better to just leave it in if you're not going to totally remake the game, because it's more valuable as an artifact of the time the game was made than it is offensive in the context of that game.

If I were the decision maker here I would also remove it because it's so egregious and will bring bad press, and it's not like it adds anything of value to the game (there's not even prurient value to a 10 year old digital butt shot) but getting rid of it just deflects the more interesting conversation of how Mass Effect handled sexuality and the male gaze, which also connects to the more interesting conversation of how Femshep was shortchanged in a number of ways, even while she was an important watermark for female characters in games.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Oh, I can see the progressivism as clear as day; especially after words and terms like "problematic" and "male gaze" being branded onto my hippocampus due to my twilight years of university as a fine arts major. Not that I don't lean left, but most artists go H.A.M. left, especially the Gen Z's.

Anyway. I can't disagree with patriarchy being an issue in media (among other things) given how impressionable some people are. But my reasons as a self-driven contrarian for reaching a similar conclusion are less out of social justice and more for my personal preferences and how I perceive/process/compartmentalize sexuality in games, being that: Despite me being a fan of things like Senran Kagura and HuniePop, I don't need sex appeal in every game that I play, or movie that I watch, and so on and so forth, but I like that lewd content is there in their own sections and genres for when I'm in the mood for it. Basically: It depends.

For Mass Effect specifically, Miranda's butt is just one of those things that I honestly don't remember too well outside of fan art and mans1ay3r since I was more focused on what she was actually saying and her interactions with the characters while actually playing the games (as opposed to watching reviews and video essays that may or may not have mentioned it), which either speaks to your various points, or it just further highlights me focusing on the more meaningful aspects of the games at best, or me being slightly delusional and/or a part of the male gaze problem through self-aware ignorance at worst. ...not that I have a problem with the latter since using games for escapism from various forms of bullshit, as opposed to using as a catalyst for discussing various forms of bullshit, has been my working system since 1994. ...But I digress. It is a big deal in regards to social justice and censorship? Sure. Is it a big deal to me in the larger discussion? Sort of, for the sake of the occasional critical thinking session. But for my personal enjoyment: I'll most likely won't miss Miranda's ass in the remastesr and I'll probably ignore it again in the originals, especially if continue to gender-bend and stick to only playing as female Shepard (and female Ryder for that matter) and think about what I would do as female me.

Well, I mainly decided to chime in since I recently got word of the situation and was curious to see if anyone here mentioned it. Mission accomplished on my end.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks good!

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I just saw some side-by-sides of the original vs. remaster and the new version looks . . . worse in a lot of spots? It's like they took all the colors and dialed them back by 50%. The reds are now kind of tan. The blues look kind of grey-ish. Someone needs to remind them that style and mood are just as important as raw pixel count.

In the original, the lighting and coloring was as intense as it was to hide some of the other graphical jank, but looking at the screenshots they seem to have barely improved the sharpness of the image while losing all of the moodiness of the original. It's most obvious in some of the Eden Prime screenshots. In the original version of the game, the sky was blood red and Sovereign was surrounded by this angry glow that really made it the scene look apocalyptic.

Now its practically sunny out. It's like someone on the colony would look out the window and be like "Oh look, honey. The Reapers' back in the garden again!"

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FacelessVixen

@therealturk: This isn't going to help the console people, but, ReShade. Adjust the contrast and saturation, add in a red or orange tint, add in even more film grain if you want to, and bada bing bada boom! Garrus's calibrations and Ashley's space racism will never look better my dude!

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Junkerman

Looked through some photo comparisons and a lot of the new textures and assests look really nice!

However it seems like 100% across the board the images have been brightened. I see this a lot in all the remasters - I'm not sure I understand why. Just keep the lighting in the originals - it was better!

Maybe its some high level art design thing where the professionals 'know better'.

Like my complaints with other remasters I dont end up noticing it when I'm playing and it'll be nice to have some new spice when I play these games again.

I'm excited to play Bringing Down the Sky... to think I'll get to play new content for a game I've been playing almost every year since 2008 is pretty exciting!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I'm excited about it. These are still great games I'm sure. I'm just disappointed it's coming this late. I remember holding off on multiple DLC once I finished the trilogy because I was hoping for a remaster, but then some news came out that Bioware (or perhaps just EA) had no plans to do it as they wanted to create new things instead, so I went back through the series and bought all the DLC which cost about $59.99. This was probably in 2015, but at this point, I don't remember when I went back through them.