Capcom announces Megaman 11

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Acura_Max

Capcom announced on their Megaman 30th anniversary stream that they are creating a new megaman in the vein of the original games. The game will be all platforms including Nintendo switch, xbox one, ps4 and pc. This is pretty exciting news considering how long it has been since capcom has released a "real" megaman game. Here's hoping that it will be as successful as Sonic Mania.

They also announced that all the x games will be released on all platforms. I expect it will probably be released the same way the original games were re-released this year: released in multiple compilations.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they aren't just doing another game with the classic look a la 9 and 10. That said I'm not sure I love the design based in the trailer. But so long as it's good ass Mega Man platforming I could be down for that. I wonder what the robot masters will be or if they'll do like a Greatest Hits sort of thing.

Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm fine with the look, maybe touch up that walking animation is all.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cant wait for the cancellation news a week before release.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something something, anime fan on prom night!!! This looks good, but why not bring back the X Style of 16 Bit graphics? Anyway, this is promising at least.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I mean, at this point the way for Capcom to continue its weird spiteful attitude towards Keiji Inafune would be to make a better Megaman game than Mighty No. 9, which I don’t think will be all that hard.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm glad this is happening, but whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boy is this a wait-and-see kinda game.

elmorales94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By elmorales94

I was ready to buy it as soon as you said "Switch," but I'm really not a fan of the art. Would have preferred a more 16-bit look to it.

edit: GIVE ME BATTLE NETWORK ON THE SWITCH, CAPCOM.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

I'm fine with the style this has - I think it could be better and can we please have more hand drawn 2d stuff? But this is fine. It looks like it could be a great Mega Man game. It could also go the other way.

Really, my biggest problem with this is that it isn't a Mega Man X or Zero sequel. Those two series are where most of my fondness for Mega Man comes from and I'd love to see a big screen version of Mega Man Zero.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

My first impression was that it did not look good, but with some distance I don't actually have anything against the style and if they were going to make another numbered entry in the Classic series it seems like a good choice for a modern aesthetic. It's mostly the jumping animation that puts me off. It just doesn't have a good transition to it. Also, while I like Mega Man's "leaner" design in the concept art it's going to take some time for me to get used to how he looks in-game.

As for the game part of the game it seems alright, I'll probably play it. I feel like I've experienced the entire range of what a Mega Man game can be in the terms of quality with all the games that already exist in the series, so unless they've got some weird new gimmick hidden somewhere in there, the only question that remains for me is: Is this going to be better and more memorable than your average, "Ok" to "Decent" to "Good" Mega Man game?

It would be cool if it was.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like the way mega man looks at all, whole game kinda reminds of that new bubsy game honestly

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nicksmi56

Dude, that Mega Man X Collection though! :D

I was JUST lamenting that I was probably gonna run out of Mega Man games soon, and now they're releasing 8 more for my Switch!!!

Today is amazing! ^_^

Mega Man 11 looks good too (though that block ability seems a bit overpowered) but that can wait until I'm done with 3-6.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh awesome, they moved on from the retro pixel art. Looks more in the vein of 8 or something, but 3D. Also cel-shaded? The enemies and environment have a sorta cel-shaded look anyhow.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@forteexe21: Nah, Capcom will release the X collections (I'm assuming this is their release plan) first, and collection 1 will sell good since it will likely have X1-4 on it. But then collection 2 will sell badly because, duh; and Capcom will declare "Oh... I guess you just don't love Mega Man enough. We're sorry. We'll cancel this unwanted MM11 game too, I guess."

The stupid part is I'm joking, yet this still seems somewhat feasible...

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't care less about MM11, but I will get that X Collection in a heartbeat.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That running animation is so bad.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Luchalma

Glad they're not just going with the 8-bit look again. And yet disappointed it's not just super high res 2D art. Still looks ok.

The real gem is the X collection though. Mega Man X1 is the not so secret best game in the Mega Man series.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nicksmi56

For those who don't know, the Legacy Collections are coming to Switch too in the spring! Which means my collection will no longer be incomplete! :D

Capcom must have been reading my mind. I was JUST complaining about this the other day!

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameplay looks good, artstyle is suuuuper flat. Visually looks like a fan remake project on Unreal 4.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This is cool and all but where's the love for Battle Network/Star Force Capcom???

FonJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There does seem to be something off about the art style. I've barley played any Mega Man games but I might try this if it turns out well.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By hippie_genocide

It reminds me a little of Mega Man Powered Up for the PSP. Not as super deformed but still trying to update the look while maintaining some semblance of the old gameplay. It looks better to me than most of these comments. I've never played an X game before, so I'll pick that collection up for sure.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nicksmi56

@hippie_genocide: Yeah, I don't really get why people are down on it. Looks smooth enough to me and there's nothing I would single out as ugly. The only thing that turns me off is Mega Man having a voice, though that may be because I've only played the first 2 games so far.

I've never played an X before either, but after hearing so much praise for the series from friends and critics, I'm itching to give it a go!

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm down for this, especially the X collection like everyone else is saying. Anyone playing those for the first time is in for a real treat. 11 looks cool, I dig the art style. But I've always preferred the gameplay of the X series to the vanilla ones personally.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first glance this looks like the game Inafune was imagining in his head when he came up with Mighty #9. Looks alright.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nicksmi56 said:

@hippie_genocide: Yeah, I don't really get why people are down on it. Looks smooth enough to me and there's nothing I would single out as ugly. The only thing that turns me off is Mega Man having a voice, though that may be because I've only played the first 2 games so far.

I've never played an X before either, but after hearing so much praise for the series from friends and critics, I'm itching to give it a go!

I don't mind the art style, but it seems a bit sluggish in places, but as you said, the voice freaked me out a bit, Mega Men shouldn't talk.

After reading all the praise for the X series and people saying X1 is the best game of all mega-games I wondered if I'm missing something. In my bubble it's MM2 & MM3 that's the best ever and the X series is nothing to write home about, granted I've only played X1 when it came out, and not to completion, but I'm curious if the people who prefer the X series started there, and people like me who prefer original series are old, like me :)

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By doctordonkey

It's weird to think of a new Megaman in a world where fantastic indie platformers are coming out constantly that were inspired by it. It seems less like a legend returning from the dead to show mere mortals how it's done, and more like grandpa rocking back and forth in his recliner to build up enough momentum to get out of it. Once he's off of the chair, it's just him and his cane, trying to kick it with the new kids who have been doing what he was doing in his prime, and their doing it better.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#29  Edited By BeachThunder

I hate to be that guy...but just give me the pixels.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's weird to think of a new Megaman in a world where fantastic indie platformers are coming out constantly that were inspired by it. It seems less like a legend returning from the dead to show mere mortals how it's done, and more like grandpa rocking back and forth in his recliner to build up enough momentum to get out of it. Once he's off of the chair, it's just him and his cane, trying to kick it with the new kids who have been doing what he was doing in his prime, and their doing it better.

Yah it seems weird that the only way they apparently can make another good to decent Mega Man game is to just make the same game again. I mean a lot of people here aren't even happy with the graphics being anything but pixel based. Seems like they could be doing so much more.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By vasta_narada

The only thing that bothers me about the visuals is how incredibly slow Megaman's run cycle is. The guy runs like he's going at sloth speed!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I guess it looks okay? It's just, compared to what you get from revivals/modern iterations of older series like Kirby or Rayman, this seems cheap. I think 3d, pixels or 2d artwork are all viable ways to go, but this sort of cheap-looking 3d approach isn't too dissimilar from the recent Bubsy game or Mighty No. 9. It's mostly interesting that they're even making a new Mega Man game.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Mysterysheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mysterysheep

If we're just talking about visual quality, I actually think this looks pretty good. It emulates 2D, hand-drawn art with 3D pretty well without looking like some odd hodge-podge of the two like other recent games.

Check out Mighty No. 9:

Loading Video...

And here's the in-development Bloodstained:

Loading Video...

It all just has this half-baked look to it, never really feeling unified. Mega Man 11, on the other hand, actually seems to bring the look together and make it feel cohesive. In fact, if you look at Capcom's track record with trying this kind of technique in the past...

Loading Video...

Now I'll agree with others that it looks like it's mostly the movement and animation that seems a little off, but hopefully that's the stuff that get's tweaked later on. Then again, this might be one of those situations where, while playing the game, the movement makes more sense. Mega Man has always relied on pretty twitchy movement, so perhaps the lack of a smooth transition between jumping and other animations is a necessary trade-off for making the game play well. We will see!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm late to the party, but hey cool a new Megaman game! The art style I think can use some improvements, mainly Megaman's running animation. But some of the enemies look pretty rad in the cel-shaded style. Hopefully this turns out to be pretty solid! Can't wait to play it on the Switch!