TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TangoUp

Just finished it. Phew.

It is an incredibly, incredibly short game. And that said, I still think the last level (not just the end boss) should have been canned completely. It is the most stupid, idiotic and insulting pieces of shitty dialogue and exposition and ridiculousness I have ever seen. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Forget Mass Effect 3, I think this game's shitty excuse for an ending takes the Razzie award for the worst finale in games. Also talk about reducing a ninja game into a juvenile WWE wrestling match. That last boss has to be the worst boss I have seen in a game.

The story is all over the place and unfortunately, apart from Mistral and Sam, the bosses don't have much in the way of personalities. The exposition at the end is an overblown rip-off from Vanquish (and Vanquish didn't even pretend to have a coherent story) with the war economy stuff. Are Platinum developers Americans? I don't understand their fascination with all things US.

Back on topic, George was probably the highlight of the story and it's a shame we see him for less than 10 minutes. So character wise,

Doktor - won't shut up

Kevin - his story about the memes and Richard Dawkins saves him from being a bore

Courtney - I think she was written in for the cleavage

Boris - Da, tovarich

Sundowner - Shut up fatty

Monsoon - no comment

Armstrong - what this is, I don't even ...

Wolf - drown in molten lava you sanctimonious tin can

Well, at least I can concentrate on the gameplay when I replay it because this is just a loose set of missions with a few bosses thrown in to give the semblance of a game. I will not be supporting this title by buying the DLC.

That said, the gameplay is smooth but the camera is problematic. 3/5 stars. I expected better from the makers of Vanquish.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tangoup said:
Are Platinum developers Americans?

Not in the least. And the story was, of course, Kojima. Nanomachines, son!

4 stars.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I thought the Armstrong fight was the best part of the game, but I guess if you wanted a more serious game then that ending would be difficult to like.

Also, this may need spoiler tags?

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killacam said:

@tangoup said:

4 stars.

I know they are not. It was meant to be rhetorical. Kojima wrote all of it? I don't believe it because that last bit sounded like Vanquish's plot.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

The ending had me constantly laughing my ass off and I don't see how anyone could dislike it. They were totally taking the piss out of Metal Gear.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By falserelic

You got admit Armstrong had them gainz, all kinds of gainz, all kindzzz...

No Caption Provided

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rebgav

NANOMACHINES, SON!

The only problem I have with MGR is that the bosses are too straightforward, you can master those boss fights in a couple of playthroughs and I feel that robs it of the replayability it needs.

The Armstrong segment is retarded but it's impossible for me to discern whether it's just dumb because Metal Gear villains or because it's a parody of Metal Gear villains.

@tangoup said:

The exposition at the end is an overblown rip-off from Vanquish (and Vanquish didn't even pretend to have a coherent story) with the war economy stuff.

Oh wait, you're trolling. My bad.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's so bad about fighting Steroided Dick Cheney at the end?

And it's a Kojima game, so naturally it's anti-war, anti-nukes. If you hadn't noticed, the whole over arching story of the Metal Gear series is about this stuff. MGR compared to some of his other stories is pretty straight forward.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointment is what Raiden is known for, why did you expect anything less then a game in which he stars in?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

That final boss thing seemed, to me, pretty much par for the course as far as these kinds of game wrap-ups go. Villain goes philosophical, makes a speech on what's wrong with the world and how they're going to "fix" it, offers the hero to join him, the hero declines and they fight it out.

Jack doesn't really fit the type of hero character that are usually in these type of stories (he's not much of a coherent character to start with) so I guess it comes off as a little odd compared to the rest of the game.

I mean, there's also that one point where Armstrong becomes all bulky and starts acting goofy. It's all very Japanese, the whole game is, so it isn't that surprising all things considered. I've seen a lot of it before, and a lot of it since. Overall I greatly enjoyed this particular execution of it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

It's pretty dumb but it's also pretty cool.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Fuck the haters

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The exposition at the end is the game undoing MGS 4. Rising is a Pyrrhic victory. The story, while kind of ridiculous, is about as logical a leap in Metal Gear canon and some of its themes as you can get in a post MGS 4 story. The last boss was no more insane than fighting the President of the United States in downtown Manhattan.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tangoup I disagree with you. Especially on the '' I will not support this game buy buying DLC, I expected better from the makers of Vanquish''. This game is Vanquish with a sword. Vanquish' story and characters were just as horrible and canned. I have no clue why you're so irritated over Rising.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

OH GOD THAT THREAD TITLE.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NANOMACHINES SISTER

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Seriously though, while it is absolutely insane at the end, but what I tend to expect from a metal gear game, as well as talk of the war economy.

I mean MGS2 ended with a sword battle on top of Federal hall with a clone of Big Boss in an exosuit that had tenacles that fired missles and his main way of moving about was zooming around on rocket skates that set the ground of fire where he went. Not to mention he was going on and on about wanting to be remembered by people by trying to stop AI's that were running the US.

It's pretty much a series standard that it goes completely insane at the end.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IBurningStar

I completely disagree. Pretty much the last hour was the best part of the game. Armstrong was a great final boss.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I disagree, I think that end boss fight, and everything around it is AMAZING.

His entire body is MADE OF NANOMACHINES!

Avatar image for wickedsickdanceattack
WickedSickDanceAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup:

Platinum wrote that ending as an obvious parody of Kojima. Kojima liked the story and green-lit it. Maybe he didn't realize it was a huge parody of his work, or he just has a good sense of humor! (Plus this "War Economy" stuff has been an undertone in MGS in a couple games)

And no comment on Monsoon???? He is the most Metal Gear character in this game!!!

And wolf is awesome.

Edit: Woah! Isn't George that ridiculously over the top racist kid with the crappy accent that doesn't even exist?!?!?!!?!? I didn't realize this whole post was a joke Hahaha!

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup:

Platinum wrote that ending as an obvious parody of Kojima. Kojima liked the story and green-lit it.

I thought that the lead writer and producer were from KojiPro?

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that last hour of that game was so god damn insane how could you not love it. I didn't like that Armstrong fight as much as the fight with Jetstream Sam though, that fight was incredible. Also Nanomachines...

Avatar image for wickedsickdanceattack
WickedSickDanceAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav: I remember reading about Platinum Games asking Kojima if they could rewrite the game from it's original script since they were taking over development and he allowed it.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killacam: Kojima didnt write this, his right hand man Etsu Tamari did.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With cheesy lines like "I said my sword was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my sword." how can you not love it?

Also, Jack's "Ripper" voice is goddamn hilarious.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I found a lot of the story stuff cringe-worthy. But the spectacle of it all was amazing. Especially in the beginning.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TangoUp

@rebgav said:

The Armstrong segment is retarded but it's impossible for me to discern whether it's just dumb because Metal Gear villains or because it's a parody of Metal Gear villains.

@tangoup said:

The exposition at the end is an overblown rip-off from Vanquish (and Vanquish didn't even pretend to have a coherent story) with the war economy stuff.

Yes that first comment is true. But I've played MGS4 without playing any of the other MGS games and I still loved it. And I assure you, I'm not trolling, I'm serious. Vanquish's US faction has that same motivation. MGR just adds another 50,000 lines of dialogue to say the same.damn.thing.

@fourwude said:
And it's a Kojima game, so naturally it's anti-war, anti-nukes. If you hadn't noticed, the whole over arching story of the Metal Gear series is about this stuff. MGR compared to some of his other stories is pretty straight forward.

I like that premise but it is anything but straightforward after going from trying to save Africa, saving Abkhazia and the kids then moving on to save some bwaiiiins then dealing with PTSD then ugh, that end level. If they were trying to outdo Kojima, I'm afraid they failed miserably.

Disappointment is what Raiden is known for, why did you expect anything less then a game in which he stars in?

Raiden himself isn't bad at all. He's given NOTHING to work with apart from the PTSD and Jack the Ripper angle.

@klei said:

@tangoup I disagree with you. Especially on the '' I will not support this game buy buying DLC, I expected better from the makers of Vanquish''. This game is Vanquish with a sword. Vanquish' story and characters were just as horrible and canned. I have no clue why you're so irritated over Rising.

Because Vanquish didn't spend 50% of the last level on dialogue which makes you want to throw your controller and nor did it move erratically from one concept to another through the story. Besides, the end boss and cinematics were way cooler.

@tangoup:

Edit: Woah! Isn't George that ridiculously over the top racist kid with the crappy accent that doesn't even exist?!?!?!!?!? I didn't realize this whole post was a joke Hahaha!

I am serious.

With cheesy lines like "I said my sword was a tool of justice. Not used in anger. Not used for vengeance. But now... Now I'm not so sure. And besides, this isn't my sword." how can you not love it?

Also, Jack's "Ripper" voice is goddamn hilarious.

That sort of thing is par for the course for these type of games but usually the end bosses are spectacular. Like Vergil in DMC3 or the end boss of Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Armstrong was just ... I don't have the vocabulary to describe this monstrosity.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TangoUp

To continue my tirade against this game, consider the environments you play in,

urban area with buildings and cars

refinery

sewer

warehouse

office building and rooftops

Dark Tunnel

office building

Japanese Garden

sunset on the highway

military base with fences and steel boxes

Seems like all the creative talent has left Platinum Games with Shinji Mikami.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The entire game was beautiful dumb bliss. BOOM! Argument retorted.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was supposed to be ridiculous and stupid. You can't really think the creators were that out of touch. Raiden picks that fucking 30-foot robot leg up and uses it as his standard sword during that boss battle. It's intentional. Think of it like a wrestling match.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Part of me feels like revengeance is a semi-self aware parody of the entire metal gear series, right down to the iconic NANOMACHINES, SON like, which can be used to explain like 90% of MGS.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

It's a funny parody. The only character that I like is Sunny Gurlukovich / Emmerich.

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Assirra

@tangoup said:

@killacam said:

@tangoup said:

4 stars.

I know they are not. It was meant to be rhetorical. Kojima wrote all of it? I don't believe it because that last bit sounded like Vanquish's plot.

Well clearly you never played MGS4 then. This was still light on the "wtf-o-meter" that kojima does compared to that game.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But man, SICK GUITAR RIFFS!!!

Loading Video...

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I necro'd college ball ya know.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup said:

George was probably the highlight of the story

No Caption Provided

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ripelivejam

i was hoping the title of this thread was some sort of delicious pun. :(

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

actually rethinking about this, I think Armstrong is a better evil politican using Metal Gear for their own evil deeds

No Caption Provided

Because in MGS2, all Raiden did was "wha?" There's more of a debate going on

Avatar image for noctisluciscaelum
NoctisLucisCaelum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

You came to a game that has the words Metal Gear in the title and expecting a good coherent story?

You sir are mad.

Also Platinum isn't exactly known for award winning story telling.

5 star gameplay, Metal Gear story nonsense.

Edit: Nice title by the way, If I recall my high school English classes, I would say you're using a pun.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tangoup said:

@rebgav said:

@tangoup said:

Yes that first comment is true. But I've played MGS4 without playing any of the other MGS games and I still loved it. And I assure you, I'm not trolling, I'm serious. Vanquish's US faction has that same motivation. MGR just adds another 50,000 lines of dialogue to say the same.damn.thing.

I was an avid fan of the MGS series until MGS4. That game just made me not give a shit about the story of these games anymore. MGS4 was my Mass Effect 3.

That said, even if Revengeance is considered canon, I don't think it's intended to be taken as seriously as the past games. As people said, it's all parody. Hell, outside of a few namedrops, it hardly feels like it takes place in the same universe as any other MGS. Revengeance Raiden barely even seems like the same character as MGS2 and MGS4 Raiden. Even though I've forsaken the lore and canon of the MGS series, I refuse to believe Revengeance takes place in the same reality as MGS1-5 unless its reality is virtual reality. And through separating Revengeance from past games, I've been able to actually really enjoy it and crazy ass Senator Armstrong. Unfortunately I can't do that with MGS4 cause it's too deeply rooted in the series as the "ultimate ending."

Platinum was smart to treat it as side story with as few ties to past games as possible.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@minipato: Once you get old enough you realize how stupid all of the MGS storylines are, excepting 3 which is still alright even if it's completely ridiculous. The characters are good in Peacewalker as well.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taku128 said:

The ending had me constantly laughing my ass off and I don't see how anyone could dislike it. They were totally taking the piss out of Metal Gear.

Yeah but they somehow did it in the most logical, distilled way. I mean someone like Armstrong had to come along eventually. He basically took Big Boss' and Liquid Ocelot's anarchism to the utmost extreme, where suddenly it wasn't just about creating a world for soldiers, but a world that was solely about Strength, something that was always implied but never stated outright. Armstrong basically had the nuts to say 'fuck people who can't deal with my SMT World of STR' which is something that Big Boss, at least for a long time, still had trouble handling mentally. It's great, I loved it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By Humanity

I thought George was the worst child character ever conceived in video games. Even kids from Japanese RPG's are better than George.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: But how else would the game get its requisite Vanilla Ice reference??

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@crembaw said:

@humanity:

But how else would the game get its requisite Vanilla Ice reference??

Not like this.. not like this..

He was basically the Jar Jar Binks of gaming.

Me badda ninja robot boom boom yah mon?!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

@humanity said:

@crembaw said:

@humanity:

But how else would the game get its requisite Vanilla Ice reference??

Not like this.. not like this..

He was basically the Jar Jar Binks of gaming.

Me badda ninja robot boom boom yah mon?!

I took that hour long Rising survey awhile back, and everytime they asked what I didn't like. "George." He's the fucking worst!

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok to not like that kind of stupid, dumb spectacle, but you also have to understand why other people would love that stuff. The ridiculous, overly long exposition was hilarious to me because of all the other dumb shit that was happening at the same time. There's this standard looking politician dude spouting his policies and philosophy, and then it turns into a big dumb fight and he is fucking MADE OF NANOMACHINES.