Avatar image for thefantasticfillip
#1 Posted by TheFantasticFillip (70 posts) -

This is due warning: this thread is for people who have either finished the game or spoiled themselves beyond saving. If you want to keep your mind untainted, go no further.

As people dig through the files we are finding more and more cut content from the game, including what appears to be the title screen for an entire third chapter. I'll post the pictures below and link to the thread where they can be found:

Title for the third chapter of the game
Title for the third chapter of the game

Some skin textures from the files. The right is Paz, but the left appears to be the Boss (see snake scar in top right skin)
Some skin textures from the files. The right is Paz, but the left appears to be the Boss (see snake scar in top right skin)
An image of old Venom Snake. This is not Big Boss; note the scar on his forehead where the horn used to be.
An image of old Venom Snake. This is not Big Boss; note the scar on his forehead where the horn used to be.

In addition to this we also know that Kiefer had many lines cut:

https://soundcloud.com/gboon/sets/removed-venom-snake-sutherland-dialogue

Including one important post-game monologue: https://a.pomf.cat/abcyrl.mp4

There's also the cut Liquid Snake mission that's been going around:

This is what we know of so far, and we will undoubtedly get more. Cuts are standard, and I'm actually in a camp to believe that Keifers lines were intentionally cut so that Snake could work better as a self-insert. But stuff like old Snake and that chapter 3 heading send some bad messages. I wonder how much the Kojima-Konami meltdown affected this game's development; I wonder how much this game's development affected the Kojima-Konami meltdown.

I always found the game's structure odd. For one, MGS4 and PW both have 5 chapters and an epilogue. This has two chapters, which is a non-standard set-up for any medium. Chapter 2 mostly being a retread of chapter 1 also raises questions about cuts. I think its undeniable that the game we got was fantastic, but I wonder if Kojima and his team were faced with a time crunch by Konami and had to either sacrifice narrative or sacrifice gameplay quality and went for gameplay.

We will probably never know what this game was supposed to be, but I hope one day they release a "grand gameplan" for it like they did for MGS2 (which is a really interesting read btw if you're a fan of the series, it's basically the outline of MGS2 before it went through radical changes to become its current form: http://junkerhq.net/MGS2gameplan.pdf)

It's also true that Kojima wanted to structure this game more like a television show. I wonder if future chapters will come out as DLC and act like "seasons". Either way, it's a little fishy/sad to see and wonder about all that is gone.

#2 Posted by Mirado (2557 posts) -

Yeah, something happened to the end of this game. Chapter 2 is a lot shorter and feels far more disjointed than Chapter 1, and all of this cut stuff floating back to the surface just confirms that someone pulled the plug and said enough was enough. Whether or not any of this was going to be post release DLC is probably irrelevant now, as we'll probably never see it.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
#3 Posted by GenericBrotagonist (448 posts) -

Are the pictures confirmed real? I've seen tons of articles pointing to the message boards where they were posted, but none claiming to have actually dug into the game files themselves. It seems like they would be pretty easy to fake.

#4 Edited by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

The "old Venom Snake" picture is just some guy's retexture of Venom Snake's model. It's on the facepunch forums where all of these images were cultivated from. He says he just used Ocelot's face texture because he couldn't be arsed to edit/find the normal map for Venom Snake.

All of this brouhaha over stuff being cut from MGSV astounds me, it's like these people never realized that entire characters, arcs, areas, and mechanics get cut from games all the time. For reasons both nefarious and benign. I think Kojima fucked up by including that Episode 51 deleted scene in the Collector's Edition, because all it's done is fuel rampant paranoia and speculation that we got an incomplete game. They included it because they thought it'd be cool to show something that didn't make it into the final game, and it's backfired in the most annoying way possible.

Consider this:Metal Gear Solid V is over 80 hours long. For a full completionist playthrough it'slonger than every single Metal Gear Solid game combined. There is a metric fuckton of content in this game, and all of it does come together in a cohesive, cogent conclusion.

Now if people want to argue that they're unsatisfied with the conclusion, or that they're upset by Kojima subverting their expectations, that's fine. People did the same thing with MGS2, but to argue that the game isn't finished because plans were changed or that content was cut is disingenuous as fuck. This isn't Halo 2, people. Kojima finished the damn game.

#5 Edited by GenericBrotagonist (448 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: I think referring to what was essentially post game content as Chapter 2 was what caused the problem. Calling it Race when it had nothing to do with race was an exceptionally strange choice. Obviously at some point there was a real Chapter 2, but that didn't happen.

#6 Edited by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

@genericbrotagonist: I think the same. If it had been called "Coda" or "Epilogue" it wouldn't be catching nearly as much shit. I imagine there was a similar format to Peace Walker originally; four or five chapters, but for whatever reason they restructured the game into what it is now.

That kind of stuff happens all the time in games development. Absolutely no project ever goes into production and comes out the same thing. It's just weird to me that people are picking this game out of the thousands of other examples to get into a fury over.

#7 Posted by Malarkain (154 posts) -

Someone on 4chan just found this video by digging into the files. It also features that awesome cut monologue by Snake at the end.

Loading Video...
#8 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

@malarkain: Looks like that stuff ties into the FOB stuff. Say if everyone decided to disarm their nukes (or had them stolen/sabotaged by other players), and if the game got to the point where nobody in the region (or world, who knows) didn't have nukes anymore, these scenes would play.

#9 Edited by gesi1223 (266 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

The "old Venom Snake" picture is just some guy's retexture of Venom Snake's model. It's on the facepunch forums where all of these images were cultivated from. He says he just used Ocelot's face texture because he couldn't be arsed to edit/find the normal map for Venom Snake.

All of this brouhaha over stuff being cut from MGSV astounds me, it's like these people never realized that entire characters, arcs, areas, and mechanics get cut from games all the time. For reasons both nefarious and benign. I think Kojima fucked up by including that Episode 51 deleted scene in the Collector's Edition, because all it's done is fuel rampant paranoia and speculation that we got an incomplete game. They included it because they thought it'd be cool to show something that didn't make it into the final game, and it's backfired in the most annoying way possible.

Consider this:Metal Gear Solid V is over 80 hours long. For a full completionist playthrough it'slonger than every single Metal Gear Solid game combined. There is a metric fuckton of content in this game, and all of it does come together in a cohesive, cogent conclusion.

Now if people want to argue that they're unsatisfied with the conclusion, or that they're upset by Kojima subverting their expectations, that's fine. People did the same thing with MGS2, but to argue that the game isn't finished because plans were changed or that content was cut is disingenuous as fuck. This isn't Halo 2, people. Kojima finished the damn game.

Well the way the released game handles the Eli plot thread is really weird and dissatisfying, leaving people(and me) confused wondering why everyone just lets Eli and Tretij just make off with Sahelanthropus AND the yet to be known, humanity threatening third vial of the English Parasites. Metal Gear has a reputation of NOT leaving out details like this. Then people finding out we were SUPPOSED to get the conclusion to it in the game really set people off on the idea that Konami had some fault with really disrupting what KojiPro had in store. It understandably upset a lot of people, because it doesn't come off as being cut due to creative decisions. Even if Kojima didn't add that scene in the CE, I think people would still be upset there is a gaping hole in the entire story now.

Personally I think it's pretty lame that the story is now left with MGS having this weird retcon/plot hole battle with MGSV.

#10 Posted by BisonHero (11578 posts) -

Given how things went south with Kojima and Konami, it's not surprising that at some point Konami probably dropped the hammer and said "Polish what you got, this game has to come out in 6 months."

Yes, it's a long-ass game by Metal Gear standards, and they got seemingly all of the open-world gameplay in place, but it's long because there are so many filler missions of "extract [generic object/person]". It's not surprising to learn that they probably had to cut some amount of story that would require more missions with unique scripting and cutscenes and whatever.

#11 Edited by GenericBrotagonist (448 posts) -

@malarkain: The video was removed due to a copyright claim? That's strange, considering they're fine with every other cutscene being on youtube. Maybe there's some kind of community milestone that has to be hit before we were supposed to see it?

#12 Posted by JesusHammer (912 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: The difference here is that the Episode 51 content directly wraps the only story that is left dangling. Everything else is wrapped up. Yeah stuff gets cut from games all the time. MGS2 itself had the cutscene where Arsenal Gear plowed through NYC, but that didn't really hamper the story the same way this does. I think people would still care about the Eli story being dropped the way it was.

#13 Posted by novadth (238 posts) -

Someone on 4chan just found this video by digging into the files. It also features that awesome cut monologue by Snake at the end.

Loading Video...

Is this the one about the nukes? If so, it's not cut. It's in the game. Has a whole cut scene with Kaz.

#14 Edited by sinjunb (184 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

No, he didn't finish the game. I don't care if a game is 10 hours or 1000 hours long, there's a difference between filler and story content. MGSV is 90% filler content, it recycles it's amazing gameplay sandbox foundation over and over for hours. If we're talking variety of content, it's actually really minimal. There's two open worlds full of 3 or maybe 4 types of bases. Now that I think about it, there's barely anything that takes place indoors. It's all camps, airports, outposts... Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes was more impressive than any one level in TPP.

Even if the Ep51 stuff never came out, people would be talking about how it's an incomplete and unsatisfying story. The structure of it is terrible and doesn't get off the ground until Chapter 2 ends, which is where the game ends. I was thinking to myself "Alright, awesome, now the story can actually finally start in Chapter 3". I'm struggling to see how anyone can play this entire game and think it had a sensible, meaningful climax. The only characters who even had a character arc are Huey and Miller, and Miller only because of literally his last two lines at the very end.

#15 Posted by JesusHammer (912 posts) -

@sinjunb: Are you actually telling me that Quiet didn't have a character arc when she has more development than anybody else? Are you telling me Venom didn't have a character arc? Also there was a very clear climax. It was Episode 30, then 45, then 46. The only thing that feels incomplete is Eli's story.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
#16 Posted by GunslingerPanda (5263 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: The difference here is that the Episode 51 content directly wraps the only story that is left dangling. Everything else is wrapped up. Yeah stuff gets cut from games all the time. MGS2 itself had the cutscene where Arsenal Gear plowed through NYC, but that didn't really hamper the story the same way this does. I think people would still care about the Eli story being dropped the way it was.

In what way does cutting episode 51 hamper the story? It certainly doesn't tie up Eli's story in the way being suggested: In the game we got, Eli leaves with Psycho Mantis. In episode 51... Eli leaves with Psycho Mantis. Only difference is where Sahelanthropus winds up and Mantis doesn't deus ex machina the parasites. Episode 51 felt redundant, and that's probably why it was cut.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
#17 Edited by charlie_victor_bravo (1712 posts) -

Does the game actually have missing story stages [1) Exposition 2) Rising Action 3) Climax 4) Falling Action] that would indicate that chapter 3 is really cut from the game? Granted, It would make more since to have 3 (start, middle, end) chapters instead of 2 (start, Kojima) .

#18 Posted by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

Does the game actually have missing story stages [1) Exposition 2) Rising Action 3) Climax 4) Falling Action] that would indicate that chapter 3 is really cut from the game? Granted, It would make more since to have 3 (start, middle, end) chapters instead of 2 (start, Kojima) .

The game doesn't have an revelation at it's end, nor a nice cinematic for closure nor a epic final boss battle like all the other games. Instead the last story mission is Quiet's Departure in which she leaves a one minute tape for you and a tedious wave of tanks you have to blow up and that's it.

The Sahelanthropus battle sould have been at the end or the game should have had more boss battles than just one.

#19 Posted by DefaultProphet (840 posts) -

@ravelle said:
@charlie_victor_bravo said:

The game doesn't have an revelation at it's end, nor a nice cinematic for closure nor a epic final boss battle like all the other games. Instead the last story mission is Quiet's Departure in which she leaves a one minute tape for you and a tedious wave of tanks you have to blow up and that's it.

The Sahelanthropus battle sould have been at the end or the game should have had more boss battles than just one.

Quiet sniper duel, Man on Fire, Eli, Skulls at the airport and Sahelanthropus are all boss fights.

#20 Edited by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

@defaultprophet said:
@ravelle said:

Quiet sniper duel, Man on Fire, Eli, Skulls at the airport and Sahelanthropus are all boss fights.

Quiet was and Sahe were the only one that felt like actual boss fights then, Eli was just shooting a couple of darts in to him until he fell asleep, the Skulls at the air port felt not like a boss because there were three of them and it was a protect mission and the Man of Fire was just giving him a shower and getting out of there. There was not really a real fight boss fight like previous games.

#21 Edited by DefaultProphet (840 posts) -

@ravelle: Eli was as much of a boss fight as Ocelot in MGS3, just because there isn't an onscreen health bar doesn't mean it's not a boss fight. Skulls is a boss fight, you have to fight them in order to progress and you fight them in ways that aren't standard for the rest of the game, and Man on Fire was a boss fight because you had to figure out how to beat him and was not as simple as "give him a shower" c'mon.

#22 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

@ravelle said:
@defaultprophet said:
@ravelle said:

Quiet was and Sahe were the only one that felt like actual boss fights then, Eli was just shooting a couple of darts in to him until he fell asleep, the Skulls at the air port felt not like a boss because there were three of them and it was a protect mission and the Man of Fire was just giving him a shower and getting out of there. There was not really a real fight boss fight like previous games.

Except all the bosses have health bars, are antagonists, and actively gate progression like any video game boss does. The only reason anyone could be confused about their status has to do with how MGSV approaches boss fights. That is to say, all of the choice and possibility presented in the open world is available to the player during these boss fights as well. They're not traditional boss fights for an MGS game, sure, but that's because MGSV is not a traditional MGS. I have to imagine I would've been rather perturbed if the boss fights in this game were a throwback to earlier concepts and designs from the series. What they do in MGSV is fairly inventive considering the myriad of ways you can tackle each boss. Not to mention how other open world games tackle boss fights, which is to say, poorly.

The Man on Fire fight in Episode 20 is just as memorable as anything else from the series. Metal Gear S is probably my favourite Metal Gear fight in the series, because it's the first time in an MGS where you get a true appreciation of the scale of these things, and rather than locking you into a predetermined pattern of attack you're free to use your wits and your weapons to take it out however you can. The Quiet boss fight can be approached in a variety of ways, and is a nice call back to The End without ruining the game's pacing. The Skulls are very different compared to what's come before in the series, because the game gives you the choice between head on confrontation and running away if your equipment isn't good enough.

I can understand why someone might not like these boss fights, butthey are boss fights. Just because the boss doesn't wax philosophical about their plight or are given a dramatic, tragic death scene doesn't mean they don't count.

#23 Posted by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

@ravelle said:
@defaultprophet said:
@ravelle said:

Except all the bosses have health bars, are antagonists, and actively gate progression like any video game boss does. The only reason anyone could be confused about their status has to do with how MGSV approaches boss fights. That is to say, all of the choice and possibility presented in the open world is available to the player during these boss fights as well. They're not traditional boss fights for an MGS game, sure, but that's because MGSV is not a traditional MGS. I have to imagine I would've been rather perturbed if the boss fights in this game were a throwback to earlier concepts and designs from the series. What they do in MGSV is fairly inventive considering the myriad of ways you can tackle each boss. Not to mention how other open world games tackle boss fights, which is to say, poorly.

The Man on Fire fight in Episode 20 is just as memorable as anything else from the series. Metal Gear S is probably my favourite Metal Gear fight in the series, because it's the first time in an MGS where you get a true appreciation of the scale of these things, and rather than locking you into a predetermined pattern of attack you're free to use your wits and your weapons to take it out however you can. The Quiet boss fight can be approached in a variety of ways, and is a nice call back to The End without ruining the game's pacing. The Skulls are very different compared to what's come before in the series, because the game gives you the choice between head on confrontation and running away if your equipment isn't good enough.

I can understand why someone might not like these boss fights, butthey are boss fights. Just because the boss doesn't wax philosophical about their plight or are given a dramatic, tragic death scene doesn't mean they don't count.

Yeah, you're absolutely right though. I just didn't stand still to think about it that they were actually boss fights in that sense. And yes Metal Gear S was pretty great, that was some Godzilla influence for sure.

#24 Edited by brads_beard (243 posts) -

Game clearly needed another 20 hours or so of preachy monologues and useless codec conversations.

#25 Edited by sinjunb (184 posts) -

@jesushammer said:

@sinjunb: Are you actually telling me that Quiet didn't have a character arc when she has more development than anybody else? Are you telling me Venom didn't have a character arc? Also there was a very clear climax. It was Episode 30, then 45, then 46. The only thing that feels incomplete is Eli's story.

I barely used Quiet as a buddy and never got mission 45, and have no intention of grinding out buddy points to get it. It's essentially an optional quest, and even upon watching it on YouTube to call that "development" is funny. She's nothing but T&A the entire time up until then.

Episode 30 is a clumsy exposition dump, you know almost nothing about the central conflict until that moment yet it marks around the 70% completion point of the story. 45 doesn't count, and 46 is the first time the story actually comes to life and gets exciting (yet it's the very end of the game). This game barely has a two act structure, much less three.

#26 Edited by brads_beard (243 posts) -

"Clumsy exposition dump" describes pretty much all dialogue in every MGS.

Seems like a lot of people just wanted a different game. Which is fine but calling it unfinished is really odd.

#27 Posted by Efesell (4507 posts) -

I'm satisfied with the shipped product, it hasn't felt unfinished to me.

#28 Posted by Stonyman65 (3808 posts) -

I just wish they got rid of half the generic side quests (like seriously, how many prisoners do I have to extract?!) and spent at least some of that time and money on the main story missions.

#29 Posted by JesusHammer (912 posts) -

@sinjunb: Glad to see people sweeping Quiet's whole character under the rug just because of tits. Clearly no development in a character that comes to kill you ar the start of the game and ends her arc with her leaving you to save you. Nope just tits. I'm just gonna ignore the rest of your post like you ignore important story beats for no reason.

#30 Edited by sinjunb (184 posts) -

@jesushammer: What story beats? Quiet just undergoes stockholm syndrome off-screen, it's never explored or developed. The actual time we get with her is mainly tittilation, but until 45 she's barely a character. It'd be the same thing if she had clothes on all the time.

#31 Posted by JesusHammer (912 posts) -

@sinjunb: Stockholm Syndrome implies she was held against her will. She at no point is. She's basically Ocelot in 3. This is stated right in dialog. She's in love with the legend and that love turns into romantic feelings as she grows closer to him. How is this not development? How does one develop Stockholm Syndrome when one isn't held against their will?

#32 Posted by Tonetta777 (34 posts) -

@jesushammer: In the same way that fridging a large breasted woman in order to give a hero motivation to advance the plot is not considered character development

#33 Posted by deto (16 posts) -

@sinjunb: How does one develop Stockholm Syndrome when one isn't held against their will?

Well, the Stockholm Syndrome is just a form of traumatic bonding and does not necessarily require a hostage scenario but is a result of the desire to not be perceived as a threat anymore. However, it does require one person being intimidated, harassed, beaten, threatened or otherwise abused whilst still developing a strong emotional bond.... which, imo, does not apply to Quiet.

#35 Edited by SomeJerk (4077 posts) -

The paranoia about cut content comes from younger gamers not experienced with the fact that loads of content gets cut from every single game of anywhere near this scale ever and their mentality of blowing up everything negative by a hundred. The rest of us just lean back with curiosity and check out the material that gets out, missing the 51st mission as much as we miss a 51st state, then we move along with our lives. This content is on disc so often because data management for development is imperfect, often in the code a call to a no longer needed resource can be commended out, but the cutscene, model, sound will still be there, so people dig.

The paranoia about Quiet comes from people who seemingly by the many posts all over the freaking internet holy shit, were born and raised in the many cultures where women aren't allowed to drive, vote, and must wear a veil or more while outside (need I say that largechested women get hate online and offline by other women?). Even without mission 45 it's very easy to figure her character out and why she is like she is (cutscenes and tapes). Except for why she gets into Snake the way she does, she has to be extremely broken in the head. Even the most cliche Bondgirl romance makes more sense. I'd rather had a proper Bromance.

Considering the way that part is handled it smells like Kojima's movie influences striking again, you know how Hollywood has to shoehorn romances into everything.

#36 Edited by FrostyRyan (2922 posts) -

@sinjunb: Nothing you're saying is valid if you merely watched the end of her story on youtube and never actually spent time with her, used her as a buddy, went to visit her in her cage, listened to all the tapes, and watched the appropriate triggered scenes.

You're the only one reducing her to just T&A.

Yes Kojima can be very pervy sometimes and certainly lingered on her for certain shots but saying that's ALL she is up until mission 45 is incorrect.

EDIT: and yes, part of that bond you feel with her is due to your actual time during gameplay with her on missions. and yes, that still counts.

#37 Posted by A_E_Martin (615 posts) -

Doesn't Snake/Big Boss have the same scar as The Boss on his chest? There's definitely a scene which makes this evident, either in Peace Walker or in this (it's all a blur to me right now).

#38 Posted by Oldirtybearon (5626 posts) -

@a_e_martin said:

Doesn't Snake/Big Boss have the same scar as The Boss on his chest? There's definitely a scene which makes this evident, either in Peace Walker or in this (it's all a blur to me right now).

It was made to look that way, but it was actually a jigsaw that Snake hid under his skin in case of capture. You can use it to break out of your cell in Peace Walker.

Yeah that sounds fucked up and dumb, but that's what it is.

#39 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Starting to look into this stuff.

I will say on a shallow level: chapter does not mean such a large chunk of something. I mean it can, but to me that's clearly an "Act". It is weird to only have two or three divisions in something this long and call them "Chapters" in any sense.

I think the Eli stuff is underdeveloped (even someone satisfied with the game, like myself, would have to say so) but otherwise I was very happy with MGSV.

#40 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

Was it all cut? I heard that it some of it maybe hidden in the game? In the age of DLC seems kinda silly not to offer a few new chapters as well, i would probably drop some money on it. But I guess Konami doesn't give a fuck anymore anyway.