Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
#1 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2998 posts) -

It's fucking happening.

Praise be to Jason.

(For clarification - this was just announced live on air at the pre-pax show. Jeff said they're doing it at/around launch cos fuck it.)

Avatar image for aegon
#2 Posted by Aegon (7301 posts) -

I'm not sure Drew knows what he's getting into. MGSV is, by all accounts, a huge game. Much bigger than the previous ones.

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
#3 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (881 posts) -

Part of me wishes Drew would play the game on his own time and really rollick in the open world and take his time, then write a review or have a podcast about it.

The other part of me knows that Drew has said he doesn't care for open world games and just likes to mainline the story, which makes me think this could be great.

Avatar image for confusedowl
#4 Edited by ConfusedOwl (1214 posts) -

This is the best damn website. Can't wait!

Avatar image for audiobusting
#5 Posted by audioBusting (2558 posts) -

Holy macaroni! Now I have to decide between watching them play it or playing it myself on launch day!

Avatar image for konig_kei
#6 Posted by konig_kei (1025 posts) -

I like Dantom Pain. To me it sounds like what you would call that feeling you have when you hear Dan say stuff only Dan would say, like Terminator 3 was a good movie etc.

Avatar image for bladededge
#7 Edited by BladedEdge (1312 posts) -

Eh, the reviewer over at Gamespot said he put something like 50 hours into this game. That's like, what, 3 or 4 times the hours each of the other games took by themselves?

I wonder if Drew/Dan realize what they are committing too by announcing that to the public (and thus creating threads like this/hype). Not that I am not all for something like this..but MGS5 isn't like the others, or again so the reviewers are saying. MG scanlon V is might well be 30-50 episodes long. Like, the entire length of every other play-through combined? Yah..I do wonder.

Avatar image for devil240z
#8 Posted by Devil240Z (5705 posts) -

At launch? I thought it would be 6 months at least!

Avatar image for jjor64
#9 Posted by JJOR64 (19693 posts) -

Since this is actually happening, I think I will say screw it and just watch Drew play the game. Maybe I will get it at a later date.

Avatar image for milkman
#10 Posted by Milkman (19263 posts) -

I think Giant Bomb just saved me 60 dollars.

Avatar image for devil240z
#11 Posted by Devil240Z (5705 posts) -

I'm so hype now. Also is this showing up cause I can only see the op on my phone.

Avatar image for tanum
#12 Posted by Tanum (23 posts) -

Is this where the line starts? I'd like to purchase tickets.

Avatar image for capum15
#13 Posted by Capum15 (6005 posts) -

I joined in the chat hype explosion when he just went 'alright fuck it' and announced it.

I can finally play an MGS game at the same time!

Though I'll probably need to re-up my subscription now while the sale's goin'.

Avatar image for thesteve19
#14 Posted by thesteve19 (105 posts) -

@bladededge: It may get to where they only stream story missions.

Avatar image for mbdoeden
#15 Edited by mbdoeden (315 posts) -

Super excited to play along with Drew and Dan. I have a feeling it'll be especially exciting to watch as they'll be discovering things together and showing each other cool open world shit AND sharing the story.

Sharing all of that with the audience is even better. Sounds cool!

Avatar image for hatking
#16 Posted by HatKing (7447 posts) -

I'm really glad to see this happening. Totally thrilled to sort of experience this game along side some folks.

Avatar image for aegon
#17 Posted by Aegon (7301 posts) -

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

Avatar image for glots
#18 Posted by glots (4256 posts) -

Guess I'll buy Mad Max instead then and just watch this!

Avatar image for mbdoeden
#19 Posted by mbdoeden (315 posts) -

@aegon said:

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

Yo...

Don't play with my heart here.

Avatar image for bladededge
#20 Posted by BladedEdge (1312 posts) -

@thesteve19: I would be ok with that. But..they would kinda have to have someone beat it first, so that they knew, where to stop and start the recording sessions.

Mind you, if what we get is not really MG Scanlon 5, but more like "MGS5, Endurance Run" I would be totally ok with that. I just wonder if they realize that ,as they have been doing it, it will be more like the second than the first. Your idea for how to avoid that is, however, correct.

We shall see, and I know I at least expect to enjoy it, regardless.

Avatar image for mikerd
#21 Edited by MikeRD (98 posts) -

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

Avatar image for joshth
#22 Posted by joshth (720 posts) -

@mbdoeden said:
@aegon said:

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

Yo...

Don't play with my heart here.

Even though I know it's too good to be true, I had the same thought during that live stream...

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
#23 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2998 posts) -

@joshth said:
@mbdoeden said:
@aegon said:

You know, this happening coupled with Vinny not getting enough time to play games at home, and Austin's anime editor status....we just might get a FzzzfssefGBEASTzsjksdfuuuwPERSONAzsdsdfkfeFIVEshhhhhhawhER!@#

Yo...

Don't play with my heart here.

Even though I know it's too good to be true, I had the same thought during that live stream...

Don't Even.

DON'T EVEN.

@austin_walker...please...

Avatar image for windir2112
#24 Posted by Windir2112 (214 posts) -

Oh fuck yes! Going to spend all of september digging into the game myself and then binging this once I'm done!

Avatar image for kiryu
#25 Posted by Kiryu (38 posts) -

I can't wait for it either. It would be a cruel twist of fate if it's gets delayed...

Avatar image for jjbsterling
#26 Posted by JJBSterling (582 posts) -

Hmm, I was kind of hoping Drew would be able to play this off-air and at his own speed.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm excited to watch this once I play through it myself.

Avatar image for cirdain
#27 Posted by Cirdain (3797 posts) -
Avatar image for marc
#28 Posted by marc (860 posts) -

Epic. They'll be the rest of the year at least playing through this one.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
#29 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2998 posts) -

@cirdain: Apparently not.

The sentiment expressed by Jeff during the pre-pax show was that, with publishers letting people freely stream/youtube the whole game (and in some cases even paying people to play through and stream their games), GB's stance is changing with the times. No more 6-month standoff period.

Shit's happening at release (or around release... whenever they get around to recording it I guess).

Avatar image for ch3burashka
#30 Posted by ch3burashka (6086 posts) -

Fuckin' A. Good on you Drew.

This means I need to start playing immediately.

Avatar image for jesushammer
#31 Posted by JesusHammer (912 posts) -

@aegon: I need this. I really need this.

Avatar image for mirado
#32 Edited by Mirado (2557 posts) -

@mikerd said:

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

Yeah, I agree. MGSV seems like a game all about the freedom to choose how you want to approach each mission, and I'm worried that Drew will try to make the video "entertaining" rather than taking his time to scope out the area, explore his options, and learn the systems that are in place.

I'd much rather see him take a good two weeks to feel out what this game has to offer before diving in. By all indication, this is a game in which you need a metered pace, where taking the time to recruit soldiers and gather resources is vital to having the tools necessary to keep the end game from feeling frustrating. Hell, even a large part of the story is dolled out in tapes; will Drew really want to sit down and listen while the cameras are rolling?

That's not really compatible with the format they've put down in the first four MGScanlon series. They'll either just have to stream story missions after a certain point, or we'll be seeing lots and lots of episodes with only Mother Base progression.

Avatar image for viciousreiven
#33 Posted by ViciousReiven (983 posts) -

Awesome, I love watching others experience a new game at the same time I'm playing it, just have to stay ahead of the episodes!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#34 Edited by colourful_hippie (5892 posts) -

@milkman said:

I think Giant Bomb just saved me 60 dollars.

Avatar image for reflexroar
#35 Posted by Reflexroar (8 posts) -

This is pretty great news, seeing Drew's reaction to the entire series for the first time has been immensely entertaining. MGScanlon was the final push for me to go premium, super glad I did.

Avatar image for bigjeffrey
#36 Posted by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

Metal Gear 5canlon

Avatar image for pompouspizza
#37 Posted by pompouspizza (1554 posts) -

Holy shit, I did not expect this. Are they doing it at launch, or are they waiting a while?

Avatar image for ksaw
#38 Posted by Ksaw (363 posts) -

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
#39 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2998 posts) -

@ksaw said:

Metal Gear Scanlon V: The Dantom Pain.

@konig_kei: That makes two - I'll change it and see how the shoe fits :P

Avatar image for xchairmandrekx
#40 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (434 posts) -

Wont Dan want to play it himself though?

Instead of playing the whole thing wouldn't it be a better idea to say have them play large amounts of the game on their own time, and then pop in alternating between Dan and Drew, perhaps having them do side ops in the videos to show off how they have been progressing/ discuss story beats they've encountered up that point?

I don't think a traditional full Drew-only play-through really fits here.

Avatar image for marc
#41 Posted by marc (860 posts) -

Wont Dan want to play it himself though?

Instead of playing the whole thing wouldn't it be a better idea to say have them play large amounts of the game on their own time, and then pop in alternating between Dan and Drew, perhaps having them do side ops in the videos to show off how they have been progressing/ discuss story beats they've encountered up that point?

I don't think a traditional full Drew-only play-through really fits here.

I'd imagine that Dan will jump far enough ahead the day the game comes out such that Metal Gear Scanlon will have no prayer of catching up.

Avatar image for dan_citi
#42 Edited by Dan_CiTi (5186 posts) -

God I need this game now. That being said, I'll watch this after I finish the game/am almost done with it since I'll probably beat it before they do. I hope they take a different approach to this as this game has a lot of open world-ness that Drew would probably want to sink into rather than power through (more or less) for a video series. Maybe Dan can finally be of some more accurate help since he will be playing the game at the same time.

Avatar image for berserker976
#43 Posted by Berserker976 (558 posts) -

@milkman said:

I think Giant Bomb just saved me 60 dollars.

Man, I really hope you guys are joking. More than maybe any other series, playing a MGS game is far different from watching one. Especially one played by Drew.

Avatar image for ghost_cat
#44 Posted by ghost_cat (2241 posts) -

@mirado said:
@mikerd said:

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

Yeah, I agree. MGSV seems like a game all about the freedom to choose how you want to approach each mission, and I'm worried that Drew will try to make the video "entertaining" rather than taking his time to scope out the area, explore his options, and learn the systems that are in place.

I'd much rather see him take a good two weeks to feel out what this game has to offer before diving in. By all indication, this is a game in which you need a metered pace, where taking the time to recruit soldiers and gather resources is vital to having the tools necessary to keep the end game from feeling frustrating. Hell, even a large part of the story is dolled out in tapes; will Drew really want to sit down and listen while the cameras are rolling?

That's not really compatible with the format they've put down in the first four MGScanlon series. They'll either just have to stream story missions after a certain point, or we'll be seeing lots and lots of episodes with only Mother Base progression.

I think Drew has mentioned in the past that he doesn't like open-world games because anything that isn't part of the core story is a distraction. So I guess he's okay to play the game so soon for the segment, as long as he gets to shoot straight down the story path.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
#45 Edited by AdequatelyPrepared (2522 posts) -

Too bad I'll be way too busy playing the game itself to watch this. Should be fun nonetheless.

4 days, Christ. It's been a long wait. A friend and I are even making an event out of the launch day. He'll be swinging around to my place for us to play the opening few hours together.

Avatar image for dudeglove
#46 Edited by dudeglove (13685 posts) -

I hope it all ends with a post-credits phone call with Jason

Avatar image for xchairmandrekx
#47 Edited by XChairmanDrekX (434 posts) -

@ghost_cat said:
@mirado said:
@mikerd said:

I'm happy for more Metal Gear content on the one hand, but on the other, this was Drew's chance to finally play at his own pace and get to learn the mechanics of one of these games, and that'll never happen now as the past 4 attempts have pretty clearly illustrated.

Not sure whether this news is actually good or not.

Yeah, I agree. MGSV seems like a game all about the freedom to choose how you want to approach each mission, and I'm worried that Drew will try to make the video "entertaining" rather than taking his time to scope out the area, explore his options, and learn the systems that are in place.

I'd much rather see him take a good two weeks to feel out what this game has to offer before diving in. By all indication, this is a game in which you need a metered pace, where taking the time to recruit soldiers and gather resources is vital to having the tools necessary to keep the end game from feeling frustrating. Hell, even a large part of the story is dolled out in tapes; will Drew really want to sit down and listen while the cameras are rolling?

That's not really compatible with the format they've put down in the first four MGScanlon series. They'll either just have to stream story missions after a certain point, or we'll be seeing lots and lots of episodes with only Mother Base progression.

I think Drew has mentioned in the past that he doesn't like open-world games because anything that isn't part of the core story is a distraction. So I guess he's okay to play the game so soon for the segment, as long as he gets to shoot straight down the story path.

The problem is, is that if you don't take the time to fulton soldiers, upgrade your MB, do side ops, etc. You are going to be stuck with the bare minimum equipment/loadout/upgrades making the story missions really fucking hard. And with all respect to Drew, he's gonna need a little more than the bare minimum to make it through the game IMO. At the very least he is going to have to do some amount of side stuff, either on or probably preferably off camera, so he can take his time.

Avatar image for ripelivejam
#48 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -

Too new, this doesn't feel right. Also for the sake of sanity they should definitely mainline it. I also wonder if it will lose something with both participants being fresh this time.

Avatar image for samuelrgreen
#49 Posted by samuelrgreen (86 posts) -

Overly excited to see how @drewbert plays through this. He is the modern Jesus.

Avatar image for theblue
#50 Posted by TheBlue (1034 posts) -

Yeah, okay.

YEAH, OKAY.