PC players: Are you using a controller or K&M?

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll PC players: Are you using a controller or K&M? (381 votes)

Controller 73%
Keyboard and Mouse 27%

I've been using a PS4 controller because to me it seems weird to play a Metal Gear game with keyboard and mouse. Plus the way the menus are designed make it really inconvenient to navigate with anything other than a d-pad or analog stick. But I was wondering what others were using because of Metal Gear Online. Should I start getting used to K&M to stay competitive for MGO?

• 
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Keyboard and Mouse worked for me for my hundred hours of playing. Got used to the iDroid menus quickly enough, and all the other controls felt just fine.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

XBOX 360 controller (wired) for PC here. The aiming (depending on how you have customised your weapons to make aiming easier) is good enough I can get full on "headshot city" on helmet wearing soldiers, so I should be ok when I run as a scout come 2016. I guess M/K will have an accuracy advantage, but that's all I can think about with that set-up.

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Xbone controller just like our hero Solid Scanlon. But I do know a M/K user. He doesn't seem thrilled by most of the ui. But I guess I went 90 hours before I realized that you make loadouts in the pre mission equipment screen and hitting bumpers. So ui is rough all around

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MKB with auto aim turned off. The level of precision I have achieved with my tranq pistol is considerable.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I haven't gotten around to picking up TPP yet, but I am playing GZ with a PS4 controller tied to my motherboard's bluetooth.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Mouse and keyboard. All the menus are easily navigated, and the only downside is the fact that you can only get a keymapping screen for controller. Still easy to figure out what does what. I just can't aim well with a controller anymore, so anything that needs precision aiming will be a mouse and keyboard game for me.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wired 360-for-PC controller. My PC goes into a TV and surround receiver, I'm living that Super Console Life.

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By larmer

I tried with K+M. I really wanted to play with K+M because aiming is so much more accurate.

But the movement controls! GAH! It's terrible on a keyboard. I move too quickly and they hear my footsteps. Holding ctrl makes me move too slow, it's impossible to sneak behind anyone unless they are standing still because they walk faster than me. Sneaking suit dampens the sound of footsteps but it's not perfect.

I love the precision of movement I can get with the analog stick. I mentioned this on the Steam forums and someone who agreed mentioned that the Splinter Cell games would map the mouse wheel to movement speed. I think that is brilliant and I have no idea why any stealth game wouldn't do that on PC. Someone needs to make a mod that does that for MGS V.

I am kind of desperately hoping the Steam controller fixes this problem by offering the precision of both mouse aiming and controller movement. From what I've heard of that thing though, it doesn't sound very impressive. Trackpad tech isn't as precise as it needs to be.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used my xbone controller because I wanted to play on my couch and on my tv.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I hold the controller weird or something but I found it hard to play using an Xbox One controller (specifically pressing the bumper buttons) so I had to switch to a PS4 controller.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@caska: yeah, I've always found the XBone controller's bumpers awkward as well.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't play with a M/K, last action game i played like that was the original Max Pain. It's just too uncomfortable and movement with the keyboard is always awkward and I'd rather have good movement than "precise" aiming. If it gets too bad i may have to skip MGO if its that unfair for gamepad players but hopefully it's like titanfall where everybody was pretty even(at least in the beginning when i played)

mithhunter55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By mithhunter55

@oursin_360 said:

I can't play with a M/K, last action game i played like that was the original Max Pain. It's just too uncomfortable and movement with the keyboard is always awkward and I'd rather have good movement than "precise" aiming. If it gets too bad i may have to skip MGO if its that unfair for gamepad players but hopefully it's like titanfall where everybody was pretty even(at least in the beginning when i played)

I had this thought too about MGO. Then I realized I am just going to end up playing CS:GO instead anyway.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Wired 360-for-PC controller. My PC goes into a TV and surround receiver, I'm living that Super Console Life.

Hey, me too!

Naive_Appeaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried using a controller briefly but it wasn't really working out for me very well. KB + M feels pretty awkward in some spots but the aiming feels way more natural at least.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By CaLe

I've come to hate sitting at a desk to play games, just never feels anywhere near as comfortable as sitting back on my bed with 3 big soft pillows and a controller, using my TV as a monitor. It's so bad I simply won't play games that require mouse and keyboard anymore. I used to spend like 12 hours a day gaming at my PC so this is a hard swing the other way for me, but damn is it much more comfortable. I've never had any issues with using sticks to aim precisely, really don't get why some think it's difficult. Maybe they didn't grow up playing both console and PC games.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

controller, I mean it's just how I've always played Metal Gear. And I how prefer to play games in general when given the option.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I prefer KB&M over a controller for nearly all first- and third-person shooters. After giving each control option a try for a few hours, MGSV proved no exception.

mrroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For some reason, I like kb&m for 1st person games, but prefer controller for 3rd person games. Played this mostly with a PS4 controller.

badseed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kb&m all the way for me, the accuracy is simply unbeatable. The one drawback is turning controls for D-horse, with a keyboard it's hard to do smaller movements.

Mister_Snig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrroach: I'm the same way. For some reason I'm not a fan of the way a character looks when he or she moves in only eight cardinal directions.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use mouse and keyboard. The only downside is having to hold ctrl to slow walk (open doors without slamming them open or shut)

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watching people play games with K+M that are clearly made for gamepad is painful. It's unnatural.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how a sane person would play this with keyboard and mouse given how much movement matters much more than aiming.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ivdamke

My rule is if it has shooting, a top down camera or menu based gameplay I use a K&M anything else is a controller. I tried MGSV with a controller and it's just too slow with Reflex mode turned off so I went straight back to the K&M.

If it gets too bad i may have to skip MGO if its that unfair for gamepad players but hopefully it's like titanfall where everybody was pretty even(at least in the beginning when i played)

MGO for PC won't be unfair because of K&M vs Controller. The game has no cheat protection, you can use generic trainers online to give yourself infinite health etc.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K&M but holy shit the menus are terribly done for that, controlling the game itself is fine tho.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My rule is if it has shooting, a top down camera or menu based gameplay I use a K&M anything else is a controller. I tried MGSV with a controller and it's just too slow with Reflex mode turned off so I went straight back to the K&M.

@oursin_360 said:

If it gets too bad i may have to skip MGO if its that unfair for gamepad players but hopefully it's like titanfall where everybody was pretty even(at least in the beginning when i played)

MGO for PC won't be unfair because of K&M vs Controller. The game has no cheat protection, you can use generic trainers online to give yourself infinite health etc.

I hope they fix this before the real online comes out at least though, cheating = no fun

gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there toggle aim in this game? I didn't find it in the menu's. That's pretty much my only real annoyance with the game using kb+m. Kinda makes me hold the keys for everything else too even if I don't have to do so. :S

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly played the game on my TV using Steam In Home streaming so I used a wireless Xbox 360 controller.

I play shooters almost exclusively sitting down at my desk with mouse and keyboard but when I tried it with MGSV, it didn't work for me. The shooting feels better with mouse&keyboard but everything else around it like movement and navigating the menus worked way better with a controller so I kept playing that way.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse and keyboard MGSV don't have that awful mouse acceleration that haunts console ports.

monkey523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Trying to aim a gun quickly and accurately with a controller is fucking maddening. How anyone could characterize analog sticks as even remotely "precise" blows me away. With a mouse I can turn 180 with near equal speed and effort as I can line up headshots, no bullet time or auto aim required. As for the movement, I mapped sprint to shift, crouch to ctrl, slow walk to spacebar, and dive to alt, and never had a problem sneaking up behind people, even without the sneaking suit. The menus felt totally fine.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By peacebrother

Been using a DS4. I've never been one for KBM outside of FPS games. The aiming is probably way better with a mouse, but everything else in MGS5 looks like it was made for a pad.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

It was clearly designed to be played with a controller. And even if I prefer aiming with a mouse, I'm generally lining up shots on easy targets anyways so it's not a big deal. If anything, if I was better at aiming in this the crazier action sequenes might be too easy.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to aim a gun quickly and accurately with a controller is fucking maddening. How anyone could characterize analog sticks as even remotely "precise" blows me away. With a mouse I can turn 180 with near equal speed and effort as I can line up headshots, no bullet time or auto aim required. As for the movement, I mapped sprint to shift, crouch to ctrl, slow walk to spacebar, and dive to alt, and never had a problem sneaking up behind people, even without the sneaking suit. The menus felt totally fine.

There is a separate keybind for "slow walk"? I didn't even notice that, tho i didn't play around that much with kb&m because the lack of analog movement just felt too weird for an MGS game.
I do miss the accuracy of using the mouse tho, aiming with the sticks never felt natural to me and having to depend so much on auto-aim (there's even weapon mods for increasing it) feels kinda cheap.
Too bad the game won't allow for using controller+mouse at the same time and also does not support remapping of the controller binds, would actually love to try that combination.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using a Xbox One controller. I pretty much exclusively use a Xbox One controller on PC now unless I'm playing a RTS, or a game that doesn't support controllers. I plan on getting a nice mechanical keyboard soon, so that may change in the future.

empo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never even considered trying with KB&M. While a mouse would be faster/more accurate than a stick for aiming I think movement and especially driving is so terrible with a keyboard. Like having either no steering or full steering and having to do that repeated tap technique is so dumb.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The aiming on a controller is good enough with auto-aim turned on and controlling your movement speed is much nicer with analog control. Getting around and in and out of menus is painful with K&M and I'm a bit disappointed they didn't change any of that stuff to be more suitable for a desktop environment. Aiming is obviously much nicer with a mouse but the trade offs just aren't worth it, unfortunately.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Controller. Nowadays I mostly do HDMI out to my TV and play games on my bed, so controller's really the only good option for that. And it works pretty well in MGS - there are so many sub-commands based off button presses (especially when interrogating or in the LB menu) that I bet I'd find MKB to be a bit confusing.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By arbayer2

@mrroach said:

For some reason, I like kb&m for 1st person games, but prefer controller for 3rd person games. Played this mostly with a PS4 controller.

Swap out the PS4 controller for a wired 360 controller and you've got my general attitude on it. There was a time when I would play third-person shooters with KBM like GTA IV but those times effectively died once I got a gamepad that the games were originally designed for, with mainly the exception of certain GTA Online missions where KBM accuracy's vital to pulling off a timing-sensitive assault.

There's definitely that complaint I have alongside others that movement is way too imprecise on keyboard (especially for this kind of stealth game) and that aiming is rather imprecise on gamepads as well, so I've been playing about 50 or so hours on gamepads to try and learn how to overcompensate with FPS thumbstick aiming which compared to all the other problems is usually the bane of my existence. It's not been perfect and half the time it's killed my stealth runs, but thankfully the game is tolerant of this and I've just gotten past Traitor's Caravan (with a lot of Side Ops grinding involved to make the GMP needed for beating it).

I still need to figure out the hitbox for helmeted headshots, though.

Fly53Corps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fly53Corps

Controller: I'm not an animal.

Krappadizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used the keyboard and mouse myself. It makes the game a bit too easy as you can take down enemies very quickly, but it's very fun. My only complaint is that movement kind of sucks with it. The sneaking speed seems bound to the lowest threshold of analog movement which makes it very slow. But the sneaking suit kind of alleviated that issue. I wish they had bound sneak speed to be adjustable via the mouse wheel like Splinter Cell:Chaos Theory.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Controller. I don't like using KB+M for single player games because I am way too accurate and it makes the game too easy, especially when a game has been designed to be played with a controller. Multiplayer shooters I'll use KB+M every time though.

spiketail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By spiketail

Keyboard and Mouse! Sure, the movement speed options are bad, but either full crouch walk in a sneaking suit or if in camo, crawl. Same effect and I don't have to slow crouch walk. Biggest issue has been grabbing enemies and being too fast on the keys to interrogate which caused weapon/item selection to pop up. Or stuff you can't just hop over/step because it's between 6 -10 inches high. No issues with how the UI works, moving around or driving.

Left handed user myself and the only things I've changed are swapping the mouse buttons and moved the suppressor button to Y instead of G. Just finished 18 & 19 on the main missions, so not even close to the MGO stuff yet.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse and keyboard. I like having the wider range of sensitivity for more shooting accuracy and I'm too proud to use a controller with auto aim.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried both and settled with controller. It felt better for character control for stealth for me. This game does feel designed around the controller so it makes more sense to use it.

AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried both but if I have the option to use a controller I will. Keyboard and mouse felt fine though.

Frag_Maniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Frag_Maniac

I'm an exclusive KB/M player. I find that analog sticks are horribly inadequate for aiming, which is why a lot of games, even shooters like CoD Black Ops III, still have auto target for them.

The only caveat is Japanese developers are very console (cough, SONY) centric, so even if you do get good actual KB/M performance, there are still little quirks, like inadequate control explanation in the controls menu, mapping diagrams that only serve gamepad users, and even gamepad prompts showing onscreen instead of KB/M ones. Worst though is the stuck moving bug.

I actually had to source a guide online for control usage, and found a good one on Ground Zeroes that mostly works, except they changed CQC commands from arrow keys to number keys.

The game works very well on KB/M, but every now and then you can get stuck moving one direction continually until you mash W+S or A+D. How they missed that, the gamepad prompts, and lack of proper KB/M controls explanations in the testing, considering how detailed a game it is, shows they don't care much about KB/M.

absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kb+mouse for me

lack of pressure controls for movement speed easily curbed by just crawling to hold up/choke a guard