Share Your Favorite Diamond Dog!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Blackout62

Big Boss! He's sneaky, he's legendary, and sometimes he repeats words as a question for emphasis. Why wouldn't you want to be Big Boss?

But sometimes you don't want to be Big Boss. Why don't you want to be Big Boss? What do you have against Big Boss? He became disillusioned by his country and mentor yet keeps working so hard he barely has time to even shower. What else do you want out of him?

No Caption Provided

... Where was I going with this?

Oh right, please feel free to share your favorite soldier to go about fultoning guys or other MGS stuff when you aren't in a Boss sort of mood.

When I came upon my preffered soldier I was reminded of a blog post someone on this site made where they head-canoned the female soldier they were using as a third generation Asian-American. Well it kinda seems like a lot of the female soldiers you pick up look like they're from this certain hapa template. Not the soldier I'm using though; she looks awesome. She's a unicorn! It's actually her nomme de guerre, Sunny Unicorn. With a name like that and the fact that she has an S-rank in combat I don't know why I'd use anyone else.

Again, please feel free to share your favorite soldier to take to the field.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skyrider
No Caption Provided

This is my main man, Rabid Hippo. He's kind of ugly, to be honest, but there is no room for judgment when all my combat unit members wear balaclavas when they're in the field. The Savage skill is my go to perk when deploying as a combat unit member (it used to be rescuer, but then fulton upgrades happened). Being able to do the bionic punch without having to actually equip the arm first? Yes please.

Any Diamond Dog with Hippo in their name is automatically one of my favourites.

Also, am I the only one that prefers the standard Diamond Dogs fatigues to anything Snake gets to wear? Maybe it's the gloves, the knee pads, the balaclava, or all of the above. Whatever the reason may be, it's my jam.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Devil240Z

Smoking wombat

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyrider: I like the yellow in their collars.

MSCanyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flaming Buffalo for life. <3

chu52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Bastard Whale, the only one who ever mattered

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Rampant Gibbon...

Oh shit put all the glasswear away Rampy G is doing the arms thing again!

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyrider: They do have the coolest balaclava I've ever seen.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#9 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I've only ever played as Venom Snake, but I recently got this guy and I love his name...

No Caption Provided

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: How are you getting 11 S-ranks in a report?!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game needs a Cannon Fodder funeral scene. Midnight Buffalo (19XX - 1984)

enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By T_wester

@skyrider: Savage is definitely my favourite skill for most of the game did I use a guy just called Jackal, I think he was one of the wandering motherbase soldiers. Post story have I switched him out for the S+ skilled Running Bat, who also is a Savage.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bloody Bull is a terrifying monster.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for everything bar open-heart surgery.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By artelinarose
No Caption Provided

The one and only. Accept no substitutes.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I cannot understand why you would ever play as anyone but Venom Snake. People were pissed Kojima pulled rug from under them in MGS2, but all of a sudden you're fine with taking Flatulent Giraffe instead of the guy with a goddamn horn in his head and human teeth in body?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Because when Kaz says main missions are the only thing that Boss can handle I like to imagine that he wouldn't waste his time doing the side ops. Also I believe you don't gain Demon points when you go lethal with other soldiers.

There's also the fact that this is voluntary on behalf of the player and not forced upon them.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

We all need a Bastard Wasp on our side...

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravelle

Not mine but thought this was a nice call back.

No Caption Provided

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stubborn Cat's twitter feed is off the chain.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: It'll vary from person to person, but like BaronSamedi said, I like to imagine Diamond Dogs would send combat unit members out on side-op type stuff, and leave to big stuff to Big Boss. Some of the skills are also really useful in the earlier stages of the game, before you get their equivalent arm upgrade. Other skills, like Rescuer, are still really useful up until you get the final fulton upgrade.

And like I said in my previous post, I straight up prefer their uniforms over Big Boss'.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#24 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@blackout62: my heroism is in the hundreds of thousands, maybe into the millions, I don't remember. But that is also after an hour and a half "recruiting tour." So a bunch of those are soldiers I extracted.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: I have someone like that, all S+ and one S++, I believe in R&D. My favorite is DOOM BEAR, though. Wish I had a picture but I have staff out the wazoo and by this point his stats are probably hot ass. I have him contracted because I can't part with my precious DOOM BEAR.

Avatar image for ddi_kazal_st_drebin
DDI_Kazal_St_Drebin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Boss! He's sneaky, he's legendary, and sometimes he repeats words as a question for emphasis. Why wouldn't you want to be Big Boss?

But sometimes you don't want to be Big Boss. Why don't you want to be Big Boss? What do you have against Big Boss? He became disillusioned by his country and mentor yet keeps working so hard he barely has time to even shower. What else do you want out of him?

No Caption Provided

... Where was I going with this?

Oh right, please feel free to share your favorite soldier to go about fultoning guys or other MGS stuff when you aren't in a Boss sort of mood.

When I came upon my preffered soldier I was reminded of a blog post someone on this site made where they head-canoned the female soldier they were using as a third generation Asian-American. Well it kinda seems like a lot of the female soldiers you pick up look like they're from this certain hapa template. Not the soldier I'm using though; she looks awesome. She's a unicorn! It's actually her nomme de guerre, Sunny Unicorn. With a name like that and the fact that she has an S-rank in combat I don't know why I'd use anyone else.

Again, please feel free to share your favorite soldier to take to the field.

I use that exact same character, but a lesser version.
Mine has a different name and only speaks Afrikaans.

So I'm guessing that my Sunny Unicorn is out there somewhere.

zedprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sgtsphynx: @blackout62: I'm somewhere near 400k heroism, and ended up with 16 S and 16 A++ when I redid Where the Bees Sleep in 30 or 45 minutes or so with post game toys. Missions, regardless of their sequence, seem to give a little bump to soldier ranks over free roam.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found my personal Big Boss:

No Caption Provided

intruder_joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaz Miller

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dave_tacitus: That's wild, I have a Spunky Platypus with identical stats. Some volunteers must be hard-coded into the game, even for late game.

Everyone outperforms him now, but I keep rescuing "Silent Basilisk" from the Waiting Room. He speaks NO languages and has the "Diplomat" trait. I love imagining this big, hairy mute who breaks up fights and calms people down just with his expressive eyebrows.

No Caption Provided

zedprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello, old friend. I haven't seen you since the prologue.

No Caption Provided

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By CaLe

This one because she reminds me of one of my favorite Japanese actresses, Miki Nakatani. She even has a mole in the same place, which makes me think this wasn't a coincidence.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess this guy because he's got medals:

No Caption Provided

In actuality my favorites are Finger with his glorious shades:

No Caption Provided

and this chick:

Oh noes scan lines
Oh noes scan lines

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So I already shared Rabid Hippo, but he was just my favourite with the Savage skill. My two all-time favourites are Spying Rooster and Lonely Orca. They're two of my longest serving combat unit members, although I largely now keep them on out of nostalgia (A+ just barely cuts now). Given I recruited them around the same time and they speak all of the same languages, I like to think of them as a brother/sister duo working for Diamond Dogs. Spying Rooster in particular has a special place in my heart, as I've easily spent more time playing as him than any other combat unit member (maybe even more than Snake, actually). I leveled my bonds with both D-Dog and Quiet mostly while playing with him as well. The rescuer perk my be useless to me at this point, but he'll always be my #1. The fact that he's probably the only guy in my combat unit with a non-repeated face doesn't hurt either.

It surprisingly only took one trip to the Combat Unit platform to get this picture of the duo.
It surprisingly only took one trip to the Combat Unit platform to get this picture of the duo.