The Ultimate Ending Discussion (SPOILERS)

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ch3burashka: Pretty sure that most of those trailers are red herrings. Twins in a helicopter, leading you to think that you'd see both Solid and Liquid? Big Boss in a field of bodies, yelling into the air? Deliberate model changes, like Venom Snake on the motorcycle instead of Big Boss? All of it designed to lead us astray in some way.

Kojima loves to show us exactly what is in the game, without context, and often out-of-order or remixed in some way. No, I don't think we were ever supposed to see Big Boss go evil at all.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By OurSin_360

@sarx said:

Why did Skullface hit Mother Base back in 76? He wanted revenge on Zero, he even stated in a tape that he has no beef with Big Boss. Zero did not order the death of Big Boss - he went out of his way to protect him even.

Why did Quiet fall for Venom? Love at first sight when she choked him? After all she knew that Venom was not the legendary Big Boss.

Do we even know that Big Boss was evil in Metal Gear 2? It was a Foxhound OP after all and Foxhound means Cipher. And Solid has a history of being a good pawn who does what other people tell him without questioning it.

1. I forget exactly but it is explained in one Paz's interrogation tape, i think he claimed he had no beef with Boss or Zero but their deaths were necessary to his plans.

2.Because Kojima's female characters have gotten worse and worse, also to answer Otacons famous question "Can love bloom on the battlefield"

3.I think it's clear that Big Boss/ Venom were never "evil" just on the wrong side of Patriots, who i believe were already controlled by AI's by then.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Great write up on the True Ending.

This may have already been discussed but I don't really want to read 300+ posts. I guess I kind of want to say my peace at least a little.

I suppose the two biggest threads before heading into MGSV was:

1. When and how was Outer Heaven created?
  2. How did Big Boss fall back in good graces with the US government so he could be part of FOXHOUND?

While we don't "see" both of those, I think it provides closure on #2. We see Zero is still involved with the remains of MSF and at that moment, it works out for both of them. MSF/Mother Base is destroyed and Zero saves Big Boss's life. In return, Zero can have another shot at using Big Boss's image as a symbol/meme/whatever to unite everyone together. We see Zero begin his push for information control, which puts an end to things like the vocal cord parasite research and beings the development of the Patriot system. At that point, the rest of what we know as as The Patriots runs on autopilot while Zero basically turns into a vegetable. It is probably a stretch, but I think this detail helps put in context how Big Boss ends up back at the US.

You could say Big Boss wanted to be closer to his ultimate enemy or put extra distance between himself and Outer Heaven. To me, part of my biggest question going into MGSV was why would Big Boss go back to the United States, when that would mean he was basically going back to Zero, who would eventually take control of everything? Well at that point, Zero is out of the picture. Members of Diamond Dogs get random bits of context over the years. How Zero is dying. How Strangelove built the AI network. How Anderson and DARPA are going to finish building the Patriots. How there are so many pieces to Cipher, but Zero is basically the only one with the full context.

By the time Big Boss would go back to the US, the founding members of The Patriots are:

• Zero: Basically brain dead.
  • Paramedic: Doing Dr. Clark stuff, beside Les Enfants Terribles, since Diamond Dogs found out the project was shelved early on.
  • Sigint: Working at DARPA, finishing up/keeping the Patriots system running in the early days
  • Ocelot: Still working for Big Boss
  • EVA: Doing a few random things here and there, but will more or less working towards Big Mama stuff.

The human threat isn't really there anymore. What remains is Zero building his information network which he'll use to unite the world together (something Big Boss at that point obviously is opposed to). And you got a sense of how Cipher was operated through the Truth cassettes. A lot of people knew somebody was doing something so this thing can happen, but the way he built his network, nobody really had any context of the big picture. Especially with XOF gone, Zero being so secretive (and ending up basically dead by the time 1984 roles around), you can see how Big Boss would have enough power and influence through the legend of Big Boss and the work he ended up doing fighting in the Cold War in South America and Afghanistan.

I don't want to retcon the story (but let's face it, you kind of have to with this fucking timeline. Like how the fuck is Psycho Mantis ever going to leave Eli/Liquid and work for FOXHOUND!?!), but I guess in my mind by the time MGSV finishes up, there isn't any real opposition where people are trying to still kill Big Boss or don't want him to come back to the United States. His legend continues to span decades and nobody gets a full picture of his figurative and actual phantom. And how many people in the US government or army would know all of the background drama between Zero, Big Boss, XOF, etc. And I haven't played Portable Ops, but I know Campbell is introduced in that game. So Big Boss would in theory have a contact to go back to FOXHOUND if he really wanted to.

Ok I'm going to stop typing now before I'm here for the rest of the day talking about this fucking game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#304  Edited By RonGalaxy

Is there really no way to get quiet back, and was there really a way to prevent her from leaving and still be able to play mission 46 (ign secrets page says that there is)?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Is there really no way to get quiet back, and was there really a way to prevent her from leaving and still be able to play mission 46 (ign secrets page says that there is)?

I can't say for sure how I did it but I finished the game without losing Quiet and without even unlocking mission 45. My guess is that it might have something to do with your bond level? I didn't have full bond with her, I think it was only around halfway. The whole thing is extremely confusing.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#306  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

@thefantasticfillip: Wow, thank you for writing that whole big essay. I had watched a Lets Play of Peace Walker but it didn't entirely register with me that Big Boss' loss of faith at the end there is essentially the moment he "turned". (I guess I was pretty bored and not entirely paying attention at that point.)

Man, the Metal Gear saga is such a big, beautiful mess. Its not at all what I wanted it to become, but there's some real brilliance to it here and there.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By Capum15

Apparently not having max bond works, but I just put a butterfly on the front bit of my emblem and it froze her story (the missions just don't appear). 46 popped up just fine without 45.

colorbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308  Edited By colorbrandon

@sarx: I think the Quiet-Venom Snake relationship revolved around the languages of revenge and compassion. Venom snake, after rescuing and bringing Miller back to mother base, reminds Miller that Diamond Dogs is not about revenge, but about the future. Quiet's motivations were originally also of revenge, as evidenced by her cassette tapes. Venom snakes shows her compassion by sparing her life after beating her in the sniping duel, exiling Huey instead of executing him, bringing her the boots she tosses aside before playing in the rain, etc. After learning about how quickly the vocal chord parasite mutated, she sought revenge against the players that infected her with it because it meant that keeping her silence was not a sure-fire way to stay by Venom Snake's side. She refuses the Wolbachia treatment because in her mind she can't forgive Venom Snake for foiling her assassination of Big Boss in the hospital, and keeps it as her ace in the hole until the end.

The next bit is me personifying the character, but I feel like by the end of the story, she regrets that she only speaks revenge (hence the line of the tape that says, "I wish we had a common tongue."). She regrets that revenge led her to become infected with the vocal chord parasites, to refuse the Wolbachia treatment, and to exact revenge on the soviet army troops that has left them in this do or die situation. After learning compassion, she realized the best choice was to save Venom Snake's life and leave to protect Diamond Dogs from infection.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@sarx I had the same question initially about Skullface hitting Motherbase. After listening to the last batch of tapes you get the feeling that theres no real emotional reason for Skullface to do that to Big Boss. But don't forget that Skullface was interested being the sole supplier of metal gears with nuclear capabilities to everyone who needed it. (with a nice failsafe on his end to decide if the nuke should proceed or cancel)

And here you have this PMC in the middle of the ocean , with their own nuclear metal gear, who take joboffers as well. That was the reason for Skullface to hit motherbase.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This helped a ton, great writeup! What I can't explain is that my Venom Snake was black and he had a white arm before the plastic surgery cut....

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@kasaioni@artisanbreads I'm not sure if you still need/want this, but I just finished the game yesterday, took some screens of the timelines, and OCRed them into plain text.

Code Talker helps create the U.S. military code talkers' cipher book.

Virtuous Mission.

Operation Snake Eater.

Death of The Boss.

The comatose Volgin is transported to a research facility on the outskirts of Moscow.

Code Talker begins his research of The End's remains.

The Congo Crisis is brought to a close.

China conducts its first hydrogen bomb test.

EVA disappears, last seen in Hanoi.

The U.S. Department of Defense successfully sends its first message using ARPANET.

The Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT) enters into force.

Major Zero disbands FOX.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo changes its name to Zaire.

The "Les Enfants Terribles" project begins.

Clones of Big Boss are born: Eli (Liquid Snake) and David (Solid Snake).

Big Boss parts ways with Zero.

Code Talker discovers a strain of archaea that metabolizes uranium.

India conducts an atomic bomb test.

Peace Walker Incident.

The U.S. and the Soviet Union agree on a general framework for the second round of Strategic Arms Limitation Talks (SALT II).

Mother Base is destroyed.

Zero hides Big Boss in a hospital on Cyprus and leaves him in Ocelot's care.

Skull Face is reassigned to Africa.

The vocal cord parasites are resurrected through reverse evolution.

The Ho Chi Minh Campaign leads to the Fall of Saigon and Vietnam's reunification.

The Soyuz and Apollo spacecraft dock in orbit.

The "Les Enfants Terribles" project is abandoned.

Eli is taken to Great Britain.

Zero suffers brain damage due to Skull Face's parasite attack.

An underground nuclear test site is discovered beneath the Kalahari Desert.

Bowing to international pressure, the South African government abandons the site.

Zero visits Big Boss, then disappears completely, never to be seen in public again.

The Iranian Revolution leads to the Iran Hostage Crisis.

Eli escapes his handlers in Africa and disappears.

President Somoza defects following the FSLN uprising, and the Nicaraguan Revolution comes to fruition.

Vela satellite observes double flash in South African waters (Indian Ocean).

The Soviet Union invades Afghanistan, bringing an end to detente.

The Iran-Iraq War breaks out.

Fearing the ripple effects of the Iranian Revolution, Western nations and the Soviet Union support Iraq.

Emmerich's first child is born with Strangelove. He is named Hal.

Operation Opera: Israeli bombers strike nuclear reactor under construction in Iraq.

A suicide bomber attacks the U.S. Embassy in Beirut, Lebanon.

The U.S. military invades Grenada.

Soviet General Secretary Yuri Andropov dies.

Snake awakens.

Civilian airliner carrying "The Third Boy" crashes in the mountains of Ukraine.

Quiet suffers full-body burns at the hospital on Cyprus, and undergoes parasite therapy to survive.

Skull Face dies.

The Olympic Games are held in Los Angeles.

The games are boycotted by Eastern Bloc countries as retaliation for the Western boycott of the Moscow Olympics.

Eli establishes his "Kingdom of the Flies" in Africa.

Gorbachev takes office in the Soviet Union.

East-West relations enter a second detente, and the post-Cold War period begins.

The Soviet Union makes a complete withdrawal from Afghanistan.

Afghanistan plunges into civil war.

Fall of the Berlin Wall; East and West Germany are reunified.

The Gulf War begins.

Liquid (Eli) and Solid (David) are sent to the battlefield.

The Soviet Union dissolves.

South Africa acknowledges possession of nuclear weapons and simultaneously pledges to abolish its arsenal.

Formation of the Taliban.

The Taliban begins to gain influence in Afghanistan.

While commanding Special Forces unit FOXHOUND from a position in the U.S. military, Big Boss establishes the fortified military nation "Outer Heaven" in South Africa.

The Outer Heaven Uprising occurs, but it is quashed by Solid Snake, who kills Big Boss's phantom.

The First Congo War breaks out.

As a result, President Mobutu is ousted from power in Zaire.

The following year, Zaire officially becomes the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The Second Congo War breaks out due to causes such as ethnic hostility and resource conflicts.

Zanzibar Land Disturbance.

Solid Snake kills Big Boss, but the Patriots revive him and conceal his comatose body.

Coordinated terrorist attacks are carried out against America.

Coalition forces invade Afghanistan.

Camp X-Ray, a black site for housing "enemy combatants," is established at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay.

The Angolan Civil War draws to a close.

The Iraq War begins.

The Second Congo War draws to a close.

Shadow Moses Incident.

Deaths of Master "Kazuhira" Miller, Donald Anderson (Sigint), and Dr. Clark (Para- Medic).

Solid Snake and Hal Emmerich establish Philanthropy, an anti-Metal Gear NGO.

Manhattan Tanker Incident.

The President of the United States publicly pledges to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

Big Shell Incident.

The U.S. begins introducing nanomachines (the SOP system) to its military and affiliated PMCs.

Hungary revises its citizenship laws.

The new terms allow even those who have never resided in the country to become naturalized, provided they are a descendent of a Hungarian citizen and have knowledge of the Hungarian language.

Guns of the Patriots Incident.

"The Patriots" AI system is destroyed.

Deaths of Ocelot and EVA.

Big Boss kills Zero.

Big Boss dies.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#314  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bane: Thank you for doing that. I eventually just went to youtube for the full ending and found it that way because there was no screen shot I could find at the time. This is useful to have though.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Very helpful. Thank you very much.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@chumm: same here! with attention to detail everywhere else this was a weird thing

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

@colorbrandon:Some of my own additional thoughts on Venom-Quiet:

I think you're pretty much right on track there. There is a lot going on with the overall theme of the game revolving around language hindering thought and communication. Quiet could only figure out how to communicate in anything other than hate and revenge once her language was taken away. She seems pretty carefree and aloof in her actual mannerisms at Mother Base, even as gross as some of that stuff is. She also able to express feelings to Venom in the really silly scene with them playing in the rain at Mother Base entirely through physical actions.

Throughout the game, Venom seems to be struggling with the legend of Big Boss taking him over. The combination of Ocelot, Quiet, and his original morality before becoming Venom are what allows him to maintain his compassion. With Quiet gone by the end of the game and with Ocelot later leaving him, plus the tape at the end seemingly further hypnotizing him to play his role as Big Boss, we see his transformation into the "demon" that is Big Boss.

Following the Boss's theme of "Can love bloom on the battlefield" from MGS 3, the implication is that in fact it did between Venom and Quiet. I don't think for a second it wasn't intentional that Quiet was your best in-game companion to the point she's almost OP. At times, it was almost scary how well she worked in tandem with me. My favorite account being one of the "Total Stealth" missions where I screwed up and was spotted, and before I could even raise my gun in reflex mode, she had sniped the dude who spotted me. Whether for better or worse gameplay wise, the meta aspect of ripping Quiet away from you near the end of the game certainly achieved its intent.

Code Talker at one point talks about how when translating one word in English to Navajo, it loses the meaning of the original word as the two words are not exactly the same. As someone who used to work on subtitling Japanese, the truth is you can't perfectly translate Japanese to English. There are so many idiosyncrasies in the language that what the best translators end up trying to do is actually rewrite dialogue in such a way that you capture the original spirit of the Japanese conversation. There used to be endless debates out there (and I suspect there still are) whether it is better to offer a more exact translation or if it is better to take some liberties to preserve the original intent.

I would love to know whether one of the inspirations for MGS V's story was in fact Kojima's frustration with the loss of meaning in translating Japanese to English. Since he's such a big movie buff and all, I could see that as a possibility. Not to mention in Japanese public education, English is a much bigger deal than say learning Spanish or French is in the U.S.

Anyway, the story was definitely intriguing even if it was a bit of a mess. It certainly ended up a lot better than I originally though it would after how awful Ground Zeroes was. But then again, I'm a huge Orwell fan, so I'm a sucker for that type of stuff.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319  Edited By BallsLeon

Just finished the story last night and one thing really stood out to me, the Phantom Cigar. Does anyone else see any relevance in the fact that Venom has a cigar vape-rig and Big Boss smokes real cigars?

That always stood out to me during the play through.

Also, what did you guys name Venom? I completely forgot that I named him Sports Johnson, so it made the picture reveal completely hilarious.

fraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ballsleon: I'm not sure why but I laughed so much at that final line :D

I accidentally called my guy F because I can't get used to R2 on the PS4 being the "accept" button instead of the caps button.

Made the reveal an underwhelming reminder.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just finished the story last night and one thing really stood out to me, the Phantom Cigar. Does anyone else see any relevance in the fact that Venom has a cigar vape-rig and Big Boss smokes real cigars?

Also, what did you guys name Venom? I completely forgot that I named him Sports Johnson, so it made the picture reveal completely hilarious.

It's gets even better. There's a tape in Peace Walker where Big Boss specifically talks about how he'd never smoke e-cigs over the real deal.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I named Venom "Hideo" which I also had forgotten, so I did a full "what in the fuck?" before realizing I was the one who had caused it to say Hideo.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By paulmako

I wonder if Kojima swapping out David Hayter for this game was the most meta commentary on languages and voices and phantom pain. (Probably not because they kept the same voice actor for the Japanese version but still)

...David Hayter has the vocal chord parasites. That is the only explanation.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was secretly hoping that during the truth mission when we first hear the real Big Boss talk that it was Hayter again with Keifer voicing Venom.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caska said:

I was secretly hoping that during the truth mission when we first hear the real Big Boss talk that it was Hayter again with Keifer voicing Venom.

Trust me, a LOT of us were hoping for this. You're definitely not alone.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

The thing that always amazes me about the Metal Gear series is that a typical 80s action game enemy name: "Big Boss" has been twisted into this ridiculously amazing storyline, in which, the least confusing and almost most believable aspect is that the name "Big Boss" is perfectly acceptable.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@caska said:

I had thought this too, but then having Keifer's voice in Ground Zeroes wouldn't make sense.

I wonder how the reaction would differ if Hayter had done the voice in Ground Zeroes then Keifer took over in Phantom Pain only to have Hayter come back in the truth mission. It would probably make the twist too obvious.

What I had been hoping for was an appearance by Solid Snake, voiced by Hayter.

DHIATENSOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melgin: yeah, I thought the same. I figured the whole point of quiet being so reticent to speak English is that it was effectively a death sentence for her, but that didn't seem to be the case. Also it's pretty annoying that post-ending Quiet becomes unavailable for deployment as that massively impacts my desire to keep playing the game (given that her + silenced sleep dart rifle is overwhelmingly the most powerful thing in the game).

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It was a satisfying ending, only thing I would I change is have you play from 'Big Bosses' perspective in the last hospital sequence, I feel like that was the original plan, but got cut along the way, I actually think that would aided the reveal, which I think I had pegged from the 1st scene, still it was well handled and no less awesome.

Chumm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw someone refer to Kojima as The Man Who Trolled the World lol

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By plop1920

Do they explain how venom snake takes the appearance of big boss? Is it just some face/off surgery? I was thinking it could just be nobody knows what Big Boss looks like- they have all heard the exaggerated legend but never saw him. That would seem to fit with the series theme of memes and ideology. Only Ocelot would know, and hes in on it. Someone posted earlier in this thread that Miller may be blind so maybe he couldn't tell either

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, the OP's clued me in on some of the finer points. Zero likes the Big Boss mystique so commissioning the Phantom offers them an option should Big Boss never awaken. Of course, it goes sour if neither awakens but whatever. The Venom face is the result of plastic surgery. It can't be face off because Big Boss needs his face for Big Boss things. If he had a new face, the bandages would not be necessary to keep XOF from shooting him on sight.

Venom's unmasked at the wrong moment in time and then it all kicks off.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#333  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

@guybrush said:
@berserker976 said:
@caska said:

I had thought this too, but then having Keifer's voice in Ground Zeroes wouldn't make sense.

You could have easily made the argument that Ground Zeroes was the mission as brainwashed Medic Boss remembers it. Would simultaneously explain the medic's pitch shifted voice in Ground Zeroes, because his brain is disguising the fact that that was actually him.

I would have loved for Hayter to return just for The Truth and the tapes you unlock post game in order to neatly tie everything together, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the idea at some point but Hayter burned all his bridges before they got far enough in production to contact him for it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd argue you don't need to brainwash the Medic if he's already loyal. Almost like its just there to make Ocelot's later shenanigans less nuts.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's the thing... when asked to input my name and birthday I used my real name and real birthday. I made my avatar look as much like me as I could. So when I turned over that photograph it had my name on the back. It was my face in that mirror. It adds a whole other level of fan service to consider myself the last boss of Metal Gear 1. And I think that was enough to really win me over.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I think it's more just so that he doesn't know and can't let it slip ever. Imagine if the medic was captured and tortured, how long would his loyalty last then and would he crack and revel that Big Boss is actually someone else? It was important for him not to know he wasn't really Big Boss.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's the thing... when asked to input my name and birthday I used my real name and real birthday. I made my avatar look as much like me as I could. So when I turned over that photograph it had my name on the back. It was my face in that mirror. It adds a whole other level of fan service to consider myself the last boss of Metal Gear 1. And I think that was enough to really win me over.

I did the same thing, and it was fucking great.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I think it's more just so that he doesn't know and can't let it slip ever. Imagine if the medic was captured and tortured, how long would his loyalty last then and would he crack and revel that Big Boss is actually someone else? It was important for him not to know he wasn't really Big Boss.

That kinda depends on how long they wanted the ruse to go on for. Part of me wonders if Big Boss would've just sneaked out the backdoor if Quiet looked at the medic, offed him and then walked right out. That said, they were wasting everyone left and right so getting them both out might've been the Plan B.

Mikey2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@thefantasticfillip: I'll mirror the sentiments of many in this forum - but this write up was fantastic. Thank you!

I just finished the game myself - as a huge fan of the franchise i'm sad to consider this might be the last game we get - especially when the gameplay was as perfected as it was in this. Overall though I loved the time I spent playing the game and the experiences I had.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

After having just finished all the story missions here, I very much appreciate the entire post as well as some of the discussion here. I already came away from experiencing the ending liking it, but now I'm firmly in the camp of being absolutely impressed with it and its implications on the overarching narrative of the series and on the character of Big Boss.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say I was expecting something on the hallucination side, and the fact that I knew everyone was upset about an upcoming twist I started to wonder if Big Boss was going to realise that he was mis-interpreting events.

It's all very Metal Gear, and all very cool, even if it is a bit of a punch to the gut.