• 53 results
Posted by lord_canti (1689 posts) 3 years, 9 months ago

Poll: this is my last chance to change my pre order, pc or ps4? (308 votes)

pc 56%
ps4 43%

i have been flip flopping with this for the last few weeks on what platform to get, i have pre ordered the ps4 version at the moment but i am tempted to swap over to pc.

pros

• i can get the pc version cheaper than the ps4, on the psn store metal gear is going for £57.99 on psn and i can get the pc version for £27

• the pc version will likely to be the better looking version.

• i have the most friends that will be playing metal gear on pc

cons

• i have played through ground zeros on ps4 with 70% completion getting all but one trophy

• the friends i would want to mess with in the fov mode are on ps4.

• i enjoy going for platinum trophies and i would want the one for phantom pain.

i have a fairly good pc and i am able to run the wither fairly smoothly with similar specification. so what does giant bomb think what platform should i get?

#1 Posted by lord_canti (1689 posts) -

extra con, if i get the pc version i can not play the game at midnight i would need to wait until 7pm the next day in order to play it

#2 Posted by AlisterCat (8084 posts) -

I just had the same dilemma but I bought it on PC for £26. I will be playing with a PS4 controller anyway so it's kind of dumb but saving so much money clinched it. The physical day one edition has a nice steel book case though...

From everything I've seen the PC version does look better, but the only real difference is in the distance. Light sources are rendered further away as well as higher detail geometry on the landscape and buildings. Slightly higher texture filtering for distant textures but they look almost identical close up. That's assuming you can max it at 60fps.

#3 Edited by Teddie (2145 posts) -

The multiplayer on PC (not the FOB stuff, the Metal Gear Online stuff) is delayed until 2016, while consoles get it in October. Point being that you won't be playing that any time soon if you get it for PC so it's not much of a "pro"-- especially when you say the draw of FOB for you would be on PS4.

Also, the game runs at 60FPS with short load times on (current gen) consoles, but obviously the graphics will still be sharper on PC.

The PC port is also of completely unknown quality right now, so you'll have to take that into account (especially if you're not buying it directly through Steam and can't get an easy refund if it does end up being a bad port). The Ground Zeroes port was fine so this will probably be fine too, but it's worth keeping in mind with how some AAA PC ports have ended up lately.

The PC version of PP also comes with GZ free (if you get it on Steam, not sure about elsewhere), so you could just quickly run through the missions on PC to get the prisoners/personel that carry over if that stuff matters that much to you.

Basically they're pretty evenly matched quality-wise and half of your pros/cons cancel themselves out, so just flip a coin or something. The low price on PC is a pretty big plus, though, so if money is an issue for you, that should be an obvious choice.

#4 Posted by emfromthesea (2262 posts) -

I would play the version that you will have a Ground Zeroes save for. There are things that transfer over to Phantom Pain.

Keep in mind that you could still get the PC version bundled with Ground Zeroes for cheaper, too.

#5 Posted by Guybrush (191 posts) -

extra con, if i get the pc version i can not play the game at midnight i would need to wait until 7pm the next day in order to play it

In regards to your extra con, did you see this? It suggests that the game might be available from 1pm on the 31st! So a day early!

Where are you getting it for £27? Would you also get GZ with that? You could blast through that again while you wait.

As for friends, why not join Bombardiers Sans Frontières and make new friends!

#6 Posted by Alucitary (408 posts) -

Tough choice. Unless you are trying to save money right now I'd say screw everything except for the points about friends. The rewards from GZ will probobly be minimal, and acording to reviews the PS4 version has a solid FPS which is all I personally care about. The FOB stuff sounds like it's a huge selling point for the game, and you will definitely want to have the best team possible to screw around with. Usually I would go quality over quantity, but without knowing any specifics it will be up to you to decide.

#7 Posted by probablytuna (5008 posts) -

Just get it on PS4 so you can play it earlier.

#8 Posted by Veektarius (6410 posts) -

I never trust a PC port from a Japanese dev.

#9 Posted by briguyd (29 posts) -

@probablytuna: It comes out on September 1 on all platforms. The PC release was originally going to be the 15th, but they moved it up a few weeks ago.

#10 Posted by Guybrush (191 posts) -

Ground Zeroes was flawless on PC. Albeit coming out months after the console version.

#11 Posted by hassun (9960 posts) -

Cancel your pre-order. Buy the game when it's out on PC.

Avatar image for mycoolyounghistory
#12 Posted by MyCoolYoungHistory (55 posts) -

@guybrush: One would hope that the delay was them figuring out how to get things working as smoothly as the ended up being. Since it was such a success, they probably didn't need as much time for V since the hard part has been done already. Fingers crossed.

#13 Posted by DougCL (369 posts) -

i pre-ordered PS4 because thats where all my friends will be playing, and we will want to do the online stuff together, but i ended up getting a PC copy as well with my new graphics card.

graphics are not top priority for me, so if i was you i would get the game on the platform wherever more of your buds will be using the online features. it would suck not having people to do that FOB stuff with.

#14 Edited by Cirdain (3797 posts) -

@guybrush said:
@veektarius said:

Ground Zeroes was flawless on PC. Albeit coming out months after the console version.

@lord_canti: You could wait for Rockpapershotgun's impressions on it if you're worried about the PC version performance wise.

"We’re told that PC code will be with us as soon as it’s available but no date has been given by Konami. As soon as we receive it, we’ll have somebody playing in what we refer to as the Ludovico Chamber..." - RPS

I imagine that eurogamer will get a PC code when Rps gets it too so digital foundry will have some crazy breakdowns of it. Nvidia will have a ridiculous graphical breakdown like ground0 had so... Yeah. If that was an issue/question then you'll need to wait a bit.

#15 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

Well arkham knight taught me that console ports are something to fear on pc, however people say ground zeroes worked perfect so it may not make a difference. I have the PC version coming for free with my graphics card, but if not i would go PS4 as the game will still look good and according to reviews frame rate is rock solid. You will also get something for the people you save in GZS if that means something to you.

#16 Posted by Ravelle (3306 posts) -

I bought the PS4 Collectors edition because the PC didn't have one, hopefully there won't be that much of a difference.

#17 Posted by probablytuna (5008 posts) -

@briguyd: I was more referring to this ;)

#18 Posted by sammo21 (5971 posts) -

I want it on my shelf, so PS4. I also see no benefit to playing on PC since I can't play it at max settings and the frame rate will be baller on both.

#19 Posted by Lukeweizer (3303 posts) -

Don't preorder. Wait and find out which version runs the best.

#20 Edited by Zurv (1012 posts) -

PC all the way. There is a sweet steam crew already if you are looking for people to raid your base.

The engine is REALLY low demanding on the PC. Even a mid range card (which already is better than a ps4) the game will run great... and yes, we know how it will run, ground zero.

You can also cancel games you don't like it (and haven't played for more than 2 hours) on steam. Want to play with your ps4 controller? connect that to the PC :)

Loading Video...

yeah.. PC :) You can run DSR too (if you have a nvidia card) to run at higher rez

#21 Posted by Funkupotamous (100 posts) -

I've got the PS4 collector's edition which sadly means I won't be able to preload. Personally I went with the PS4 version because of my friends and the aforementioned collector's edition, but I'm guessing there won't actually be too many ways to really interact with them (I was hoping on Peace Walker style co-op to be revealed at some point).

So yeah I feel like the benefits for PC make it stand out a bit more but that's just my opinion.

#22 Posted by bceagles128 (788 posts) -

This sounds easy to me. Why would you pay twice as much money to play it on inferior hardware? And this is coming from someone who owns and plays most things on a PS4.

#23 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Well arkham knight taught me that console ports are something to fear on pc, however people say ground zeroes worked perfect so it may not make a difference.

People are going way overboard lately after that game. That game and MK are outliers for console ports to PC lately. They are almost all pretty good now.

#24 Posted by Zurv (1012 posts) -

@oursin_360 said:

Well arkham knight taught me that console ports are something to fear on pc, however people say ground zeroes worked perfect so it may not make a difference.

People are going way overboard lately after that game. That game and MK are outliers for console ports to PC lately. They are almost all pretty good now.

yeah, are both are WB. Be scared of a port from WB :)

That is why i'm not touching the mad max game till way after it is out.

#25 Edited by SomeJerk (4077 posts) -

You can hang out with friends in FOB mode so I vote PS4.

The PC ports of Japanese companies are repeatedly putting western developers ports to shame, so I vote PC on sale later for the mouse-aim experience of running and gunning through the whole thing.

#26 Posted by ZolRoyce (1589 posts) -

@somejerk said:

...so I vote PC on sale later...

That's basically what I came here to say, I'm a big fan of getting a game for a console, playing it with the knowledge that it will run fine, not crash all the time, be a good stable experience. And at some point if I want it is an available option to trade away or sell the console copy and get it on sale on Steam or GOG for really really cheap.
Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned and I get to ride out any bumps in the PC road some games have.

#27 Posted by HoboZero (443 posts) -

Metal Gear Online launches Oct 6 for PS4, and January 2016 for PC. So if it turns out to be awesome and your friends are all playing, you'll be hosed til next year :(

#28 Edited by Zurv (1012 posts) -
@hobozero said:

Metal Gear Online launches Oct 6 for PS4, and January 2016 for PC. So if it turns out to be awesome and your friends are all playing, you'll be hosed til next year :(

that is a legit reason. i'd still say get it on the PC. :D better perf, looks better, cheaper.. unless ones PCs is F'd (user error.. but also a real problem) - i'd not worry about batman issues.

#29 Posted by kishinfoulux (3328 posts) -

I can't think of any scenario where I'd get the console version of a game over the PC version.

#30 Edited by Spoonman671 (5874 posts) -

Probably doesn't matter that much. Don't worry about which platform you play on because, according to reviews, it's awesome on all of them. Personally, I would stick with the platform that has my Ground Zeroes data, as that seems most likely to have an actual effect on your game experience.

#31 Posted by Mirado (2557 posts) -

@lord_canti: You can get a 100% save for GZ on PC if you don't have the time to finish it before the 1st, and it'll be the best looking and best playing version, assuming the PC port doesn't shit the bed.

If you can get it for cheaper, that seems to be the way to go.

#32 Edited by Mitch0712 (664 posts) -

I feel like most people will buy the PC version because you can get it cheaper in a lot of places and it'll look nicer. But I think the player count will fall off because there's so many games to play on the platform. I think people will return to their usuals like CS:GO, Dota 2, TF2, WoW, Hearthstone, LoL, etc.

But on PS4 I think the player count will have more lasting power. Also PS4 gets the online mode two months earlier than PC.

#33 Edited by kasaioni (2397 posts) -

If you get the PC version, you can mod your way around any microtransaction BS.

#34 Posted by DonPixel (2865 posts) -

You can also wait, see which version is better once is released

#35 Edited by Zurv (1012 posts) -

anyone even planning to play the multiplayer? i don't think i'll even start it up. i'll play the shit about of MGS V and then move on to the billion other games coming out in the next few weeks.

(Sword Coast Legends, statis, One piece (don't judge me!), mad max, satellite reign, company of heroes 2 - British, Act of aggression (i'm not sure about that one), gears of war (maybe).. what am i missing....)

#36 Posted by paulmako (1958 posts) -

@zurv said:

what am i missing....)

MARIO MAKER. If you own a Wii U.

Anyway, I am actually picking up a PS4 for this. Well this and Persona 5. It's probably where I'll end up playing Dark Souls 3 too.

#37 Posted by Malarkain (154 posts) -

@mirado: May I ask how? Downloading a 100% save off somewhere?

#38 Posted by Mirado (2557 posts) -

@malarkain: That's what I was led to believe. Of course, I've waited so long for MGSV that I've been sitting on my 100% save for quite a while now, so I can't confirm that first hand.

#39 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

@oursin_360 said:

Not just that, Ubisoft games are shitty on pc too. Also the fact that the company that made the game is now defunct i would be extra cautious about a pc port. Ps4 version will be just fine and if not then it(and xbox) will probably be patched first as they will have the most buys.

#40 Edited by atomicoldman (831 posts) -

I know it has been brought up, but if you go with the PC version, you could join the Bombardiers Sans Frontières group on Steam. I've already amassed like 30 friends from that thing so it's a real good way to have plenty to do with the F.O.B. mode. Also if you pre-purchase you get Ground Zeroes, so while you may have to shoot for all achievements in it again, at the very least you'll have another chance right before launch to import personnel.

@oursin_360Not just that, Ubisoft games are shitty on pc too. Also the fact that the company that made the game is now defunct i would be extra cautious about a pc port. Ps4 version will be just fine and if not then it(and xbox) will probably be patched first as they will have the most buys.

I kinda agree. I do feel Arkham and MK are outliers, and both being from WB is a good indication to not buy their games on PC. Ubisoft has been terrible with ports for quite some time, and will likely be for some time to come, but they seem to also botch their games on consoles too. Far Cry 3 ran like hot trash on last gen hardware, and I think everybody knows how well Unity went.

Konami ramping down game production, and the whole fallout with Kojima, is what makes me worry that this port could be of questionable quality, though. GZ works great, sure, but it had something like 9 months to cook. I'm hoping for the best, but the thing that Arkham did teach me is to be prepared for the worst, and to be a bit more mindful of who is producing what, and what their track record has been on PC.

#41 Posted by BrotherBran (287 posts) -

Wait can we go back to the part where you are getting the game at more than half off??

#42 Posted by Dave_Tacitus (2471 posts) -

@brotherbran: Funstock Digital (Steam key) along with their AUG-COUPMAIL-PRE30 code.

I've been toying with buying from there, never have before, but will probably wait a few days. The code expires at the end of the month and it brings Phantom Pain's price down to £27.99.

Don't know if anything's region locked.

#43 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

Wait can we go back to the part where you are getting the game at more than half off??

If you search around online retailers like eBay there are a lot of free copies that came with graphics cards and that kind of thing for like $30-40.

#44 Posted by BrotherBran (287 posts) -

Oh yea cool. Will likely get it for PC now, but I will try and wait for some report on the PC version

#45 Posted by BoccKob (471 posts) -

You should probably add this to the pros section:

Loading Video...

#46 Edited by Zurv (1012 posts) -

The new gtx 950 (like $150 and more powerful than a ps3/xbone... but that isn't saying much) comes with a free MGS V (as to the higher level cards in the 900 series). I'm sure a lot of people that don't care about MGS V are selling their codes for cheap (also people that got batman before could switch their free game to MGS V too)

#47 Posted by Slag (8157 posts) -

I voted PC, but then I saw your GZ cheevos are on PS4. Unless you want to redo that, I think you might as well go Ps4 and see how the games sync together.

@oursin_360 said:

Yeah I was burned personally pretty bad by that.

But let's not pretend that all ports on PC are bad here, it tends to vary company by company. e.g. Sega ports have been amazing at times, WB has been trash, Koei's often don't work at all, Square Enix is a bit mediocre.

Konami's past recent PC ports have actually been very good so far. Despite the heat Konami has gotten and deserved lately, it's not really fair to hold WB's bad behavior against Konami.

#48 Posted by Random45 (1807 posts) -

Jesus Christ I have been out of the loop, this is coming out for PC?!

I'll be able to play it then, holy crap.

#49 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (434 posts) -

@random45 said:

Jesus Christ I have been out of the loop, this is coming out for PC?!

I'll be able to play it then, holy crap.

Holy shit yes indeed you have been out of the loop. PC version is coming out Sep 1, same as the other versions as well.

#50 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (434 posts) -

@slag: Also remember this is Kojima we are talking about here. His attention to detail is staggering. I'd be super surprised if he let an even slightly buggy PC port out with his name attached.