#1 Edited by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

I've been playing MGS and enjoying it a lot. It's an obtuse systems heavy game with unforgiving mechanics. Figuring my way through it I picked up on a few very important tricks:

-Cap your hunger and thirst at a 100% as much as possible. When at a 100%, those meters will stick there for a few minutes instead of constantly depleting. This way you don't have to worry too much about hunger and thirst and save up on ressources.

-Get the dodge skill. It's a game changer.

-The leg sweep can be used to stun animals and capture them. This only becomes useful when you unlock animal pens.

-Molotov Cocktails are very good in early single player

-Items and animals respawn after a set amount of time (maybe real time)

-Do interesting optional missions(survivors)before main missions. As shown on the quicklook side missions might expire when you progress the main mission.

-You can shoot down birds for food and rare crafting materials

What are your personal tips and tricks? With its systems heavy nature and difficulty I know people are bound to find cool strategies to get through the game. Metal Gear Survive kind of feels like the Demon's Souls of 2018 in that regard.

#2 Posted by Syndrom (518 posts) -

the 100% not depleting is actually kind of wrong. The ticker just doesn't show from 100%-89% it still ticks down however.

#3 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@syndrom: yeah i noticed that last night, good catch.

#4 Posted by berniesbc (250 posts) -

I'm really enjoying this game so far. I've only played maybe an hour or two (just rescued my first survivor), and I've probably died about a half dozen times, but it feels like every time it is 100% my fault. Pretty neat game. The fact that you're referring to it as MGS is weird though, for obvious reasons.

#5 Posted by FLStyle (6587 posts) -

Sacrilege! MGS stands for Metal Gear Solid

#6 Posted by HoboZero (440 posts) -

My own additions:

- drop map pins/badges/whatever when you encounter animals you can hunt for foor. They will respawn and its useful to be able to go back later for more

- don't buy oxygen with kubon unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. seems like the cost doubles every time and never goes back down? Wish I had known that earlier. The damn robots just keep yelling "Buy oxygen!" at me. Peer pressure!

Does anyone know if oxygen usage is constant, or if it depends on actions taken?

#7 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@hobozero: in the tutorial it says you repair the tank to reset the kuban cost.

#8 Posted by Savage (781 posts) -
@syndrom said:

the 100% not depleting is actually kind of wrong. The ticker just doesn't show from 100%-89% it still ticks down however.

It's not wrong, but you are correct about the ticker not showing on the HUD while it's between 100% and 89%. If you eat/drink and reach 100%, the hunger/thirst meter will lock in at 100% for a few minutes, which is more efficient than trying to hover just below 100% for fear of 'wastefully' going over. You can test this by using food or drink right when it would be enough to just barely bump you over 100% (e.g. eat a black carrot, which recovers 250 hunger, when you're at 2751 hunger, and you'll see your hunger level will hold at 100% for much longer than a second).

@hobozero said:
- don't buy oxygen with kubon unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. seems like the cost doubles every time and never goes back down?

Does anyone know if oxygen usage is constant, or if it depends on actions taken?

I'd actually recommend freely buying oxygen anytime you're low. The Kuban cost does increase each time, but it's quite low in absolute numbers. After you go back to base and repair your oxygen tank, the cost resets back to the baseline. The cost also doesn't scale as you progress through the game, so, although a few thousand Kuban may seem like a lot at the start of the game, it's minuscule after a handful of hours, making the cost of replenishing your oxygen effectively become cheaper the further you get in the game. For example, the amount of Kuban you get for harvesting a basic Wanderer is the Wanderer's level times 100, so once you're level 10 and fighting level 10 Wanderers, you're getting 1000 Kuban per kill, enough to replenish your oxygen tank the first couple times with just 1 kill.

As far as I can tell, the oxygen consumption rate does not appear to be affected by activities; it's constant.

#9 Posted by TheKramer89 (553 posts) -

@flstyle said:

Sacrilege! MGS stands for Metal Gear Solid

We should report him. To the police...

#10 Posted by HoboZero (440 posts) -

@travisrex: Ah dangit. I've been out in the dust like a hyperventilating astronaut, making tiny excursions. I repaired the tank too, just never looked at the cost again. Double dangit. Thanks :)

#11 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -
#12 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

A questionable, potential tip would be to maybe hold off on repairing stuff until you need to? So far in the first few hours of the game it seems like repairing the oxy tank or your clothes costs the same wether youre at 70% or 50%. I found i was wasting mats repairing stuff every time i went back to base. Maybe the mats are so common though its not really anything to worry about.

#13 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@syndrom: I just tested the 100% meter thing again and it does work very well. When you get your meter past 3000 it will stick to 3000 for a few minutes (no matter how much you "overcharge" it). Just do it and look at the number. It won't tick down for a few minutes

#14 Posted by Alucitary (408 posts) -

When you are in the dust you will sometimes lose navigation, your character marker will disappear, you can't mark your map, and existing marks disappear. It's really easy to get lost when this happens.

solution, carry flag posts. They show up on the map regardless of the navigation status and you can use your compass to reorient yourself.

#15 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@alucitary: to add onto this, it seems once you explore areas of dust and return to base, you will have map functionality in those areas. Ill double check that tonight.

#16 Edited by handlas (3372 posts) -

Anyone run into the problem of having... like... no food at all? I'm at 20% with nothing to eat and the goats that sometimes are by your base haven't been there anymore for me. Seems like I'm screwed? I, unfortunately ate 2 potatoes I picked up somewhere before I realized I could make a potato garden with them. Not sure what to do; can't find any and going on a mission is pointless if I starve half way through.

#17 Posted by Ibaq (20 posts) -

@handlas: going into co-op mode and out again will reset you to 25% if you need it. I’d do that then go out and hunt something until you find some meat. Often times side missions will be marked where animals are

#18 Posted by handlas (3372 posts) -

@ibaq said:

@handlas: going into co-op mode and out again will reset you to 25% if you need it. I’d do that then go out and hunt something until you find some meat. Often times side missions will be marked where animals are

Yeah, seems like it stopped giving me locations for food as well. But I started the game back up after quitting and the goats are back baby! I guess you can cheese it a bit.

#19 Edited by Savage (781 posts) -
@handlas said:

Anyone run into the problem of having... like... no food at all?

Pretty much all clear zones have natural food sources in them (mainly animals that you can hunt). If a clear zone has a pond, there are often wildberries growing near the water. Everything respawns after each in-game day, so you can revisit all the clear zones daily to gather more food.

Another quick source of a little food is to visit each wormhole transporter you've unlocked and search for rodents scurrying about; sometimes you'll find 2-3 gerbils or hedgehogs, which you can easily catch and take back to base to grill for a snack.

If you want to find more potatoes so you can plant them, this YouTube video shows an early-game location where you can find some (this is probably where you found yours). Once you get some crops planted and growing at your base, you'll be less desperate for food.

#20 Posted by HoboZero (440 posts) -

@handlas said:

Anyone run into the problem of having... like... no food at all? I'm at 20% with nothing to eat and the goats that sometimes are by your base haven't been there anymore for me. Seems like I'm screwed? I, unfortunately ate 2 potatoes I picked up somewhere before I realized I could make a potato garden with them. Not sure what to do; can't find any and going on a mission is pointless if I starve half way through.

Happened to me at one point. Had oodles of clean water but none of my hunting grounds were spawning animals. Ended up shooting a bird with my last bullet and scoffing it raw at 2%. Then I was all:

No Caption Provided

Heading into the coop lobby to get back to 25% is a good tip :) As well, I have noticed that there seems to be a point where animals just stop spawning until you quit the game and come back, so if you don't see any try that. At some point food isn't really a problem anymore as you have access to a lot of places where animals spawn on the regular.

Another tip: be careful what sources you rely on for water. My dang ponds done dried up!

#21 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Hot tip, load into co op staging to do normal maintenance stuff, upgrading, etc. None of your stats drop while in staging mode and anything you change carries over to singleplyer

#22 Edited by handlas (3372 posts) -

@hobozero: The pond at my main base dried up as well :(. But I have a new teleporter outside the dust that seems to be spawning more sheep at least. Also saw my first bear which killed me in one swipe.

Now the prob is... the game is kinda hard? I'm on the mission to rescue your first soldier and the wormhole teleporter it wants you to extract him from is covered in so many damn wanderers. And since it's outside the dust they seem to see you a lot more easily. Died 5 times trying to do it and the harsh non-checkpoints makes it a pain when I have to run back to the place every time. Guess I should start crafting weapons other than spears.

..... just basically did the mission with 10 seconds before the wormhole would be active I went to go grab the soldier and it says "wormhole failed." Wow. Guess you can't run a bit away from it before the timer is done.

#23 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@handlas: i had big issues saving the nurse as well since i thought itd be smart to clear out the wanderers first, not realizing her health continually was ticking down in the meantime. Managed to get through it with only a sliver of her health left.

#24 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

tip for anyone interested at all about the premium boost purchases, the timer on the boosts counts down even when youre not playing the game. I couldnt find this information anywhere, so i just wanted to let folks know.

Another tip, occasionally youll find weapons and armor with the prefix "broken" in the name, if you go to craft, youll notice a new tab labeled "junk." If you craft the broken item it will turn it into a normal, equippable item. Pretty dope. Got some advanced weapons and armor this way without the actual ability to craft them yet.

#25 Edited by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@handlas: Bears are highly susceptible to claymors

#26 Posted by ftongl (11 posts) -

@handlas: there's usually a wormhole console to the objective, clear it first before you even get close to the distress signal. Activate the console, clear the remaining stragglers that get drawn in. Backtrack, and then pick up the distressed. I don't think the HP starts going down until you find them..?

Stopping for a moment gets your compass to appear.

Blue lights in the fog mean box.

Green light mean warp points?

#27 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Upgrading (customizing) weapons and armor automatically repairs durability on the item. Choose to upgrade if possible rather than repairing, 2 birds, 1 stone.

The max it seems you can upgrade something is 5 levels.

#28 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@ftongl: 2 blue lights close together usually mean box, singular means base or whatever you havent been to, green im fairly certain means youve claimed/cleaned out an area.

#29 Posted by TJMasterK (120 posts) -

So I just made a huge list of tips and tricks after (almost) beating the game. I wasn't sure if I should put it here or make my own thread but here it is. Its composed of @travisrex, @pyrodactyl and my own. its pretty long and detailed but I hope it helps people. If I'm missing something let me know and Ill add it to my document.

• · Do main missions until you acquire the Advanced fire/cooking pot (I think after mission 7). This way you can make your own clean water without relying on finding them in the field
  • · Utilize the STAMP feature for the map. Items and animals respawn after a while so mark them so you know where to get what you need.
  • · Lost in the Dust with no marker on the map? Make sure you craft those Flag points when you are exploring. When you plant it down they automatically show up on the map so you can see where you are. Don’t have any? Try and find a main road (seen on the map). Once you get to it you’ll be able to see where you are on the map. Same thing happens when you are in an area you have been to previously.
  • · When crouching and still a compass will show up around you which will help you to navigate the dust.
  • · Utilize the Loadout function (at the storehouse). They give you 4 slots to begin with (which is how many you really need) and set up loadouts for both base defense and scavenging.
  • · Keep the weight of your gear in mind when exploring. The more your gear weighs the less materials you can pick up and bring back to the base.
  • · Check the same structure where you create your loadouts (the storehouse) to see if it has any useful items (like certain meds) at the beginning.
  • · Don’t place all your Fences down right at the beginning of a Wave during Scavenging missions. Place the Digger first and see where the enemies are coming from, then plan based on that.
  • · The red circle around the digger indicates that if you place any objects there, after the wave they will be destroyed.
  • · Craft as much ammo for the Assault rifle and Shotgun as you can, but only use these weapons for base defense.
  • · You can use Kuban Energy to refill your O2 tank, however each time you refill it you only refill 20% at a time and degrade the tank by 10%. The cost of the energy goes up every time as well. Make sure you repair the O2 tank each time you come back to your main base. The Cost will reset when the Tank is at 100% health.
  • · When opening a container tap the trigger to initialize the start of the mini game.
  • · Check with your team at the base once in a while. If they have a “!” icon next to them, they have a side mission for you. Look at the bottom left of the screen to see what that mission is.
  • · Check with Virgil for side mission from them. The missions may have the material you are looking for as a reward.
  • · When using a projectile weapon, you can aim at the lump on enemies backs to instantly take them down if they have not noticed you. (May depend on the damage output of the weapon)
  • · Make sure to fill all ammo slots/quivers with ammo. To do this, go to Change Gear, go to the ammo tab and click the corresponding ammo pouch/quiver. If you have the right ammo already in the bank you can transfer it over to the pouch.
  • · To switch between 2 different arrow types, hold down the main weapon button, highlight the bow and use Square and Circle to switch between them. (May work with firearm ammo as well)
  • · On some items (such as silencers for pistols or different colors for armor) you will notice an icon that indicates that it is locked. This is not true. As long as you have the required materials you should be able to create what you want.
  • · Cap your hunger and thirst at a 100% as much as possible. When at a 100%, those meters will stick there for a few minutes instead of constantly depleting. This way you don't have to worry too much about hunger and thirst and save up on resources. (by pyrodactyl) ( I think it goes down slower than it would be if they are below 90% - TJMasterK)
  • · Get the dodge skill. It's a game changer (by pyrodactyl)
  • · The leg sweep can be used to stun animals and capture them. This only becomes useful when you unlock animal pens (by pyrodactyl)
  • · Molotov Cocktails are very good in early single player (by pyrodactyl)
  • · Items and animals respawn after a set amount of time (maybe real time) (by pyrodactyl)
  • · Do interesting optional missions(survivors)before main missions. As shown on the quicklook side missions might expire when you progress the main mission.
  • · You can shoot down birds for food and rare crafting materials (by pyrodactyl)
  • · If you are spotted by an enemy but haven’t alerted it yet, go prone and wait. After a while, they will lose interest.
  • · Bears are week to Claymores (by pyrodactyl)
  • · Blue lights seen in the dust can either be containers (2 blue lights next to each other) or inactive transports. Green lights in the dust indicate active transporters. Use these to help navigate.
  • · Upgrading (customizing) weapons and armor automatically repairs durability on the item. Choose to upgrade if possible rather than repairing, 2 birds, 1 stone (by TravisRex)
  • · occasionally youll find weapons and armor with the prefix "broken" in the name, if you go to craft, youll notice a new tab labeled "junk." If you craft the broken item it will turn it into a normal, equippable item. Pretty dope. Got some advanced weapons and armor this way without the actual ability to craft them yet. (by TravisRex)
  • · Your character will be able to detect enemies that are hiding/laying down/ inactive. Keep this in mind when going to a container or exploring a ruin.
  • · When acquiring dirty water, makes sure you DON’T have any canteens in your inventory. Dirty water from a canteen cannot be used to make clean water (may change later). Put the empty canteens in your storehouse then grab them once you have the dirty water.
  • When creating a Loadout make sure you have ALL the items that you need for that. Max out the gadgets you can carry then create the loadout. Whenever you switch to that loadout you will be given the amount you had when you created it ( assuming you have more in the storehouse). If you have less than what you want and then create the loadout, then that will be the max number you get from it.

#30 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@tjmasterk: thanks for updating the list. Still loving the game here, but im still pretty early days i think since i keep running around for funsies.

Referencing your tip about canteens and dirty water, if you hit square (ps4) on certain recipes, like water, you can make clean water multiple ways, i think that includes the canteen.

Another thing thats easy to miss, when in the change equipment screen, press l3 to automatically refill ammo and gadgets if you have them in your storehouse.

#31 Posted by andrewf87462 (885 posts) -

Cheers guys for all these tips/tricks. I've just got the game myself, about 5 hours in and really enjoying it. The one pain in the ass thing for me is the food situation, but it just sounds like I need to do a better job at stamping locations on the map and doing a hunting run every now and again.

#32 Posted by berniesbc (250 posts) -

@andrewf87462: Just give it a bit more time and you'll find yourself in a situation where you have so much food it spoils occasionally.

#33 Posted by TJMasterK (120 posts) -

@travisrex:

I thought that was just for making more water at a time, so instead of 1 bottle of clean water you can make 5 at a time or something like that. I'll check today.

#34 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@andrewf87462: be sure to search around ponds for wildberries, they refill a little food and water, good for topping off at 100%. Also, if you food and drink up in the co op staging area then run a co op match, youll be back at 100 after the match, do that to get mats, it helps since you wont have to worry about food. Youll be down to maybe 30% by the end of the match.

#35 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@andrewf87462: if you find patatos, corn and goat pens (you can get all that before the half way point) you'll be fine on food for the rest of the game

#36 Posted by Fawkes (390 posts) -

• · When acquiring dirty water, makes sure you DON’T have any canteens in your inventory. Dirty water from a canteen cannot be used to make clean water (may change later). Put the empty canteens in your storehouse then grab them once you have the dirty water.

Conversely, when drawing clean water I think if you put all your bottles away and only have canteens you'll get the same number of canteens of clean water, even though they are worth more.

#37 Edited by handlas (3372 posts) -

Can anyone confirm this... I started not having any bottles for water but read that the empty bottles are transfer to storage after you drink from them. I had some in there but still was only able to get a few bottles of water. I still find the menu stuff super confusing no matter how far I progress. I just expanded my base... Had no idea I could until I happened upon it in a menu. Also had no idea I could deconstruct the garbage around my base.

#38 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@handlas: i also just found out you can craft canteens in the gadget table. I was also having bottle shortages.

#39 Posted by handlas (3372 posts) -

@handlas: i also just found out you can craft canteens in the gadget table. I was also having bottle shortages.

Ah, yes... I literally just got that now. Also, didn't realize I had two pump things making clean water for me ;/. Been only grabbing dirty water. Partly my fault, been just breezing through the game without paying attention to everything. But I got my base all nice and tidy now with lots of food and water resources. Finally none of that is an issue and I can just go out and grab more stuff at my leisure.

#41 Edited by handlas (3372 posts) -

So... I'm in the second area now. Is there no way to build your base there? I've done a few missions and don't see any place to add to the base. Like, it would be nice to grow food again.

I love that I spent time in the last area making a big tidy base with lots of food and water just to have the next mission take me somewhere new... essentially I wasted a lot of time and resources.

#42 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@handlas: just main line the story mission. You'll get access to base building back at some point

#43 Posted by Savage (781 posts) -

@handlas: There's no base building in the second area, but your base from the first area will not go to waste. You'll eventually be able to travel freely between the second area and the first area where your original base is. So you'll continue building up your base later on.

#44 Posted by handlas (3372 posts) -

Oookay I did it... Spoke too soon sry. I was avoiding that mission where you defend for 15 mins. I ended up just hiding in a corner for like 5 mins at the end and hoped I had enough barricades to hold them off. Also had a bear running around killing some of the zombies which was a nice help.

#45 Edited by nickhead (1256 posts) -

My buddy and I just figured out last night that in coop, all the Kuban energy is shared between all players. It clearly says this beside it but we both never noticed. I mention it because by the 3rd wave on normal or hard, you might need some help. It's totally worth using 100k to get walker gear. One time an anti-aircraft turret also spawned for us. If you're really rich, check out what happens with the 200k support...

Also I'm in post-main quest stuff and the digger at your base indeed does have 24 hour cool downs between waves. They're totally worth doing for rewards but just pay attention to whether you'll be able to make that same time the next day, (you could pay to speed it up but...don't do that).

#46 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

I read a tooltip the other day that said you can speed up the wormhole digger with kuban energy, which is god damned mind blowing. Can someone confirm this? I havent played for a week so i cannot verify. If its true it would make these 15 minute+ defenses way less obnoxious.

Also, if this is true, what the hell? Why wouldnt the game tell you this in the tutorial when you first use a digger?!

#47 Edited by Savage (781 posts) -

@travisrex: That's only in co-op, not singleplayer. In co-op, you can spend 5000 Kuban energy to speed up the digger so that it will extract more Iris energy in the same amount of time. This is crucial to getting higher ranks and better rewards. It does not make the duration of the attack waves shorter.

#48 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@savage: alright, thanks for the clarification!