• 61 results
#1 Edited by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

Only played like 3 hours but I like how unforgiving it is. It's a survival ass survival game. Ressources are scarce and don't respawn. Food and water are rare and you need a steady supply of both. Probably the first one of these kind of games to have good ''game feel'' since it's based of off the MGSV engine. So if you like don't starve or the exploration/survival aspects of minecraft I would say maybe pick this up?

With its pool of weapons, gadgets, items and resources the game can reward exploration like few others. And I dug the multiplayer beta. It's a pretty neat horde mode.

Pro tips for anyone who's picking it up:

• Get the side step skill. It's like a dodge. Super useful
  • Also get the dash (running) attack for the spear or your preferred weapon. It's usually a pretty great AoE attack and helps you hunt down animals much easier.
  • Ammo is scarce, make good use of what you get.
  • Don't underestimate the first ''tower defense'' mission of the campaign. They throw a lot of zombies your way. Build multiple barricades. A few Molotov cocktails or a weapon upgrade can help a lot.
#2 Posted by TheHT (15761 posts) -

It's kind of adorable to see the slow turn around on giving this thing a chance. Coming from the hyperbole of "crass moneygrab betrayal" to "maybe it's okay I guess." Granted those two reads of this game aren't technically mutually exclusive, but all the same, ya this thing looks alright!

#3 Posted by Sarnecki (1330 posts) -

So what even is this? Like that Seven Days to Die game but with the Metal Gear engine?

#4 Posted by soulcake (2512 posts) -

It's fucked up that Europe and japan have to wait until tomorrow to play this game. Is the story mode any good ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

I'm kind of interested in this game but as a non Metal Gear fan I'm not sure how compelling it would be. I like survival/exploration aspects in games but I've never really cared for any MGS game. I almost beat 1 and played a bit of 2 and thought they were alright? Also how important is co-op in this game? Can you manage going through it solo?

#6 Posted by Savage (776 posts) -

@soulcake:You should listen to the latest episode of the Bombcast where Jeff and Brad talk about (the opening of) the game's story. In short, it's like Metal Gear fan fiction.

@boonsong: If you like survival-style games, you should certainly consider playing this game, since the survival gameplay is the core focus, not the story. There's no need at to be a Metal Gear fan or have any familiarity with Metal Gear; in fact, it might almost be better if you're not a fan so you don't bring various expectations/baggage from past Metal Gear games to this very different game. Co-op play is optional and secondary to the singleplayer-only campaign. You unlock the ability to play standalone co-op missions as you progress through the campaign. The co-op missions are a way to earn extra resources (and they're fun, imo), but you can ignore them and just play solo.

#7 Posted by Shindig (4796 posts) -

If I wasn't so lukewarm on survival games, I might've picked it up. Happy to see it's striking a chord with people, mind. Konami still have some talented people on their books and, contrary to some beliefs, they'll continue to make games.

#8 Posted by DanishingAct (407 posts) -

Yeah, I've been kinda into it too. Dead Rising is a pretty good reference point, but with more intense survival mechanics. I really only expected to mess with the multiplayer, but the campaign is suprisingly cool.

#9 Edited by avantegardener (2355 posts) -

Odds on the presence of a "Metal Gear" mech, they gotta right?

#10 Edited by Zurv (971 posts) -

What region is this unlocked in? So i can VPN and unlock the game (i'm pretty sure this will be a return...but hey.. you never know and i'm super bored..) :)

How friendly is this for a controller? 3rd person is normally great, but if there is shooting... maybe heavy aim assist?

SLI support? but it shouldn't really be needed. Fox engine wasn't very demanding.

#11 Edited by KatyGaGa (626 posts) -

Yeah, but is it...another one of those?

#13 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

The dust that covers most of the map is a great environment for a survival game. It's desorienting, it's more dangerous because of the need for oxygen and it's more rewarding because of that. Going in there feels like you're really dipping into the dangerous unknown hunting for rare ressources and valuable blueprints. Using flags as landmarks is also very neat. This game is really surprising me so far.

#14 Posted by BoOzak (2476 posts) -

@avantegardener: There's a Metal Gear Ray in one of the trailers ;p

I've played an hour or so (preparing to go into the dust) and it's alright but the problems I have with survival games still persist. (it seems like you need to eat or drink every minute or so which can be aggravating, but that's the game I suppose) I wish it was a little more Dead Rising and a little less Dont Starve. The Fox engine still feels good though.

#15 Edited by avantegardener (2355 posts) -

@boozak said:

@avantegardener: There's a Metal Gear Ray in one of the trailers ;p

I've played an hour or so (preparing to go into the dust) and it's alright but the problems I have with survival games still persist. (it seems like you need to eat or drink every minute or so which can be aggravating, but that's the game I suppose) I wish it was a little more Dead Rising and a little less Dont Starve. The Fox engine still feels good though.

Hey, I just found out about whistle tips and Kai the hatchet wielding hitch hiker, I'm catching up here!

On topic, I am curious about Survive, in that dangerous 40 euro way.

#16 Posted by ExK4 (118 posts) -

It seems alright but how cool would it be if they just got rid of the survival stuff and replaced the zombies with humans

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
#17 Posted by deactivated-5b85a38d6c493 (1990 posts) -

@savage: Thanks, that does sound pretty good. But after reading some of Jeff's tweets about getting kicked out of the game when his internet went down, and losing his save I'm a bit more skeptical. I'm not so hot on games that require an internet connection just to play even if you wanna go solo.

#18 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@katygaga: I'm not sure what you mean. It's not an early access steam game so no?

#19 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@zurv: it plays great on consoles. Generous aim assist and great movement controls. Not sure about the PC controller integration.

#20 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

Crucial tip: cap your hunger and thirst at 100%. It sticks there for quite a while. Seems way better than staying bellow 100% to maximize ressources.

#21 Edited by OurSin_360 (6094 posts) -

Seems pretty boring to me, the story seems weird enough to be interesting though

#22 Posted by Quarters (2658 posts) -

I'm really torn on this game, because Metal Gear is my favorite series, and I absolutely despise survival games. It's one of my least favorite game genres. I know I'll try it eventually, but I also know I'll probably hate nearly every minute of it.

#23 Posted by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

@oursin_360: don't play this for the story. It's a great survival game with what looks like interesting base management mechanics. The story is intriguing but it's a small part of the game. Most of the game is focused on base defense missions, exploration, finding blueprints and upgrades as well as the essential ressources you need to survive.

#24 Posted by BoOzak (2476 posts) -

@quarters: Yeah i'm with you, this game at least has a story and pretty clear progression which a lot of other survival games dont seem to have. (I'm no expert)

Also, quick tip. If you want to level up or craft something and you dont want to have to worry about your hunger and thirst draining just do it in the co-op lobby where it stays static.

#25 Edited by FacelessVixen (2469 posts) -

Eh. I'm good. Like, #Fuckonami aside, I'm good on survival stuff. Nice to see people enjoying it, though.

It just makes me want to play Fallout 4's survival mode.

#26 Posted by nickhead (1253 posts) -

I've kept my distance from most survival games so I'm not burnt out on those aspects here. The beta convinced me and a buddy to get it for the multi alone and it turns out I'm liking the single player stuff too...but I can't yet decide if that's because I'm forced to play single.

I haven't really found managing food and thirst to be a problem either, even early on. The animals repopulate relatively quick and I haven't got sick from dirty water once (and if I did I have plenty of meds).

I was one of those people hating on this thing hard but so far it's totally ok.

#27 Posted by Drachmalius (520 posts) -

I dig it. Longtime MG fan, was on the #Fuckonami hate train for a while regarding this but it's a lot of fun. I have never played a survival game for more than an hour before, including the Rise of the Tomb Raider survival mode and...some weird steam one. But this has its hooks in me, probably partly because I love the feel of the controls. I love the difficulty, the fact that you can die on any mission makes every trip away from the base feel dangerous and rewarding.

I'll probably be playing this for a long time, I've spent $40 on many worse games. I might even go and try some more survival games after I've gotten my fill of this, its a gateway drug.

#28 Posted by soulcake (2512 posts) -

Of the 6 hours i played it doesn't seem that bad, i am even having fun ! To bad the whole Konami / Kojima / Metal gear hate train is wrecking this thing down. If this was a non metal gear game this thing would be pretty alright.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
#29 Posted by CurseTheseMetalHands (152 posts) -

I was one of the few people who was willing to give the game a chance - because I don't give a fuck about Kojima - but I just refuse to have anything to do with a game that forces me to be online to play a game by myself. That's the thing people should be outraged over, not Konami's questionable use of the Metal Gear name.

#30 Posted by soulcake (2512 posts) -

@cursethesemetalhands: It's a bad form of DRM and allows them to "control" there micro-transaction stuff i am guessing.

#31 Edited by NTM (11505 posts) -

Is the final boss Hitler in a Metal Gear? Oh... I don't think I plan on playing this. I was kind of on the fence when they started showing the game off because it looked more interesting than I expected, but now that it's out, it hasn't been on my mind at all and I'll probably skip it.

#32 Posted by NTM (11505 posts) -

@cursethesemetalhands: I don't refuse it, but yeah I hate when games do that. My favorite game of 2016 (The Division) had it and it's one of my least favorite aspects of the game. I can understand why they do it in The Division, but still, I'd rather it be a choice.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
#33 Posted by CurseTheseMetalHands (152 posts) -

@soulcake: Yeah, I suspect it's directly linked to the microtransactions, which just gives people one more reason to loathe their inclusion.

@ntm: Sadly, The Division is another game I passed on because of the always online requirement. Same with Destiny. I mean, I freakin' love loot games where numbers come flying off dudes when you hurt them. Those games were right up my alley. As much as I love the franchise, if Borderlands 3 has always online DRM, I won't be buying it either. Even though, yes, an argument can be made that The Division, Destiny and Borderlands are meant to be played multiplayer, which means online, and therefore an online requirement shouldn't be the big deal people make it into. I just won't support mandatory online connections. Hell, most of the gaming community seemed to feel the same way back when Microsoft was trying to make always online DRM a core feature of their console, but now we see more and more companies sneaking it in through the back door and nobody seems to mind. What the hell?

#34 Posted by Syndrom (506 posts) -

I've been playing it for quite a bit now, actually enjoying myself alot. IT's a pretty basic loop but to be fair MGSV was that also, you didn't play that for the story either let's face it. The QL and unfinished made it seem alot harder than it actually is also.

The online thing doesn't bother me at all, it's 2018 let's face it, that kind of shit is here to stay. There are worse things to get mad about in life/games.

The story has me kind of hooked also. i wanna know whats up with that lord of dust and if i get to fight it in a metal gear :p

#35 Edited by nicksmi56 (826 posts) -

@cursethesemetalhands said:

@soulcake: Yeah, I suspect it's directly linked to the microtransactions, which just gives people one more reason to loathe their inclusion.

@ntm: Sadly, The Division is another game I passed on because of the always online requirement. Same with Destiny. I mean, I freakin' love loot games where numbers come flying off dudes when you hurt them. Those games were right up my alley. As much as I love the franchise, if Borderlands 3 has always online DRM, I won't be buying it either. Even though, yes, an argument can be made that The Division, Destiny and Borderlands are meant to be played multiplayer, which means online, and therefore an online requirement shouldn't be the big deal people make it into. I just won't support mandatory online connections. Hell, most of the gaming community seemed to feel the same way back when Microsoft was trying to make always online DRM a core feature of their console, but now we see more and more companies sneaking it in through the back door and nobody seems to mind. What the hell?

Welcome to the gaming world, where we scream and scream about bad business but conveniently forget all about it when it happens to be in something we want/our favorite franchises.

#36 Posted by Syndrom (506 posts) -

also this game gives me a weird res evil vibe

#37 Posted by Knurrunkulus (171 posts) -

@syndrom: It normally also wouldn't bother me that much, but I was booted back to the title screen five times in the span of four hours and lost a lot of progress due to that. Very unceremoniously. The game just shoves a box in your face saying "You have been signed out", and that's that. I have no problem whatsoever playing longer online sessions in Monster Hunter World on PS4 Pro and on Xbox One X I played both beta versions of MGS: Survive a lot and was never signed out during that time, so I find it hard to believe that it suddenly has to do with my internet connection. Might be the game or server issues? It sucks. I like the game a lot!

#38 Posted by Syndrom (506 posts) -

@syndrom: It normally also wouldn't bother me that much, but I was booted back to the title screen five times in the span of four hours and lost a lot of progress due to that. Very unceremoniously. The game just shoves a box in your face saying "You have been signed out", and that's that. I have no problem whatsoever playing longer online sessions in Monster Hunter World on PS4 Pro and on Xbox One X I played both beta versions of MGS: Survive a lot and was never signed out during that time, so I find it hard to believe that it suddenly has to do with my internet connection. Might be the game or server issues? It sucks. I like the game a lot!

yeah that sucks obviously. I've been playing on pc with zero connectivity issues

#39 Edited by paulmako (1956 posts) -

I've been playing this all day and it feels like a weird mash up of MGSV, Breath of the Wild and the Evil Within games. I'm enjoying it!

This game is very effective at putting a new carrot in front of you. I don't think there's been any downtime yet. The story also has me interested. There isn't tons of it but some of dialogue has gotten some genuine laughs out of me (intentionally).

#40 Posted by poobumbutt (940 posts) -

I'm bummed that I have a very shoddy internet connection at my preferred gaming location in house; it has never been a problem before as someone who generally dislikes multiplayer focused games. But this game's NEED for being online is a pretty large roadblock for someone who really needs to see this game to its conclusion. I don't even like survival games at all, but I'll force myself in order to discover the secret of the King of Dust (Hand of Fate crossover, perhaps?). But now does not seem to be in the cards...

#41 Edited by Rodin (348 posts) -

I was having a pretty good time with the game so far, though I don't know how long this game is and i don't really have many blue items, and now that I'm at chapter 17 I think, I'm enjoying the game a lot less, but that could change. The save and online connection stuff is very annoying and has screwed me a couple times so far. Hoping it gets better again.

#42 Posted by BoOzak (2476 posts) -

The games getting better, I just did the sequence where the "Lord of Dust" raids your base which was pretty cool. (I hope you get to return at some point though)

I also like that the survival aspect becomes more trivial once you get a farm. (the "broadcast station" blasting castlevania music is a nice touch too)

#43 Posted by Humanity (18401 posts) -

Not to discourage anyone, but I watched the ending of the game and last boss and oooh boy, the first comment under the video that said "thats it?" perfectly encapsulated my reaction.

#44 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@humanity: hmm, wouldnt call it spoilers but what you wrote kinda bums me out that you wrote it without spoiler tags. Ill keep playing the game in spite of it, so, no harm i guess.

#45 Posted by Jeldh (521 posts) -

@humanity: This will most definitely discourage someone.

#46 Posted by Humanity (18401 posts) -

@jeldh: I mean if the gameplay is fun for you then cool by if someone is struggling through itfor the story then yah I would maybe rethink that.

#47 Edited by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@humanity: yeah but we paid for the game and youre basically saying "hey dont bother, you wasted your money." kinda messed up.

Edit - expletive

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
#48 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4135 posts) -

I'm shocked at how much I'm actually enjoying the game. I have two major gripes. The lack of any checkpoints on missions that force you to go back to the last save and start all over again is the hottest bullshit.

Also Virgil. I know what low stamina and low food means. You don't have to tell me every time the meter gets low. Please. Stop. Talking.

#49 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

@thesoutherndandy: your two gripes i completely agree with. I saw an option to turn off tutorials, thinking that would help, but im worried ill miss something important. The checkpoint thing is garbage considering i see it "autosave" every few minutes.

#50 Posted by Qrowdyy (365 posts) -

Anyone want to comment on how this compares to Subnautica? I only have time for one survival game in my life right now.