Posted by youeightit (231 posts) 2 years, 11 months ago

Poll: Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night? (169 votes)

Super Metroid 44%
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 56%

I was looking for this poll, but didn't find it so I made it. The question is simple: which do you prefer?

These are two of my favorite games of all time, I know a lot of people agree. I'm currently going through Super Metroid again and having recently gone through SotN again, I think I might prefer SM over it. The reason simply being that SotN has more faults, I.E. the voice acting and weird seemingly unnecessary tricks to fill in the map. I don't actually mind either of those things, but it does point out how much more streamlined SM is. So, what's your pick, if you could only play one?

#1 Edited by csl316 (14946 posts) -

Symphony, the movement's a lot tighter so I prefer the combat, too. Personal preference on the music and art, as well. It also happens to be a top 2 game for me (the other being Mario World).

I wasn't a big fan of Super Metroid the first time I played it (after SotN). But I've come to realize just how good it is over time.

#2 Edited by Justin258 (15583 posts) -

Super Metroid is a game I've finished many times.

Symphony of the Night is a game I've tried to finish a few times and found it hard to press on. I don't know why, exactly, but I just get really bored of it.

#3 Posted by Strife777 (2101 posts) -

That's a really hard one, but I would probably say SotN. I'm more of a sci-fi guy, but Symphony just has a certain something.

#4 Edited by Rafaelfc (2243 posts) -

Super Metroid for the atmosphere alone. But I happen to think it plays fantastic to this day.

Symphony of the Night is of course a classic, but it never really grabbed me the same way as Metroid, I always peter out when I get to the inverted castle, to me the game becomes really boring by that point.

#5 Posted by TobbRobb (6568 posts) -

Sotn, mostly for aestethic reasons. Super Metroid is freaking fantastic.

#6 Posted by guthwulf (330 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me that I have never played Super Metroid. SotN is hella cool, though. I think I have to find a copy of SM now, so that I can get back to you poll-wise :P

Is it on VC for 3DS by any chance?

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (7089 posts) -

Ya know, as much as I like to consider myself a huge Metroid fan, I think I'd have to go with SotN. That game is on some next level, top tier shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
#8 Posted by deactivated-582d227526464 (835 posts) -

Havent played super metroid so I'm abstaining from voting. But as the years have pressed on, I've come to the conclusion SOTN is a little overrated.

#9 Posted by youeightit (231 posts) -

@guthwulf: it is on the 3DS virtual console, provided you have the new model (I don't, but that would be a fine way to play it).

#10 Posted by PeteyCoco (274 posts) -

SotN is pretty good, but I like Super Metroid's sense of atmosphere better. The story in SotN isn't great.

#11 Edited by jsnyder82 (862 posts) -

Super Metroid, easy. I don't really understand Castlevania games, to be honest. They always tend to bore me.

#12 Posted by Sinusoidal (3608 posts) -

Super Metroid without a doubt. SotN is a great Metroidvania, but Super Metroid is nearly fucking perfect.

#13 Posted by GnaTSoL (875 posts) -

Sry, but Metroid created the sub genre / game style. SOTN only did its own spin on it and should not be honored by having part of its name involved in 'Metroidvania.'

Thus, Metroid is superior and should be winning this.

#14 Edited by BoOzak (2518 posts) -

Super Metroid. I prefer the atmosphere and the way Samus moves over the weird swagger that Alucard and the Belmonts seem so keen on. The music in SOTN is amazing though. (and in most Castlevania games for that matter)

#15 Posted by Yummylee (24646 posts) -

Haven't played Super Metroid though I've always wanted to. SoTN is puuurty gooood, though.

#16 Posted by Vortextk (930 posts) -

SotN. I like the powers and equipment/rpg mechanics better. Personal taste of what I enjoy better too, that style of gothic castlevania vs space and aliens. I like anime, but I hate anime castlevania stuff only because I adore the style present in SotN and castlevanias similar to that. Honestly it feels like a GOTY discussion of trying to break down one amazing game to have another amazing game be "higher", they're both great, but that is my vote if I have to choose one. It might not exist without super metroid, but I don't have to pick the Odyssey as the best gaming console just because we might not have the newer consoles without it.

#17 Edited by pyrodactyl (4221 posts) -

As someone devoid of nostalgia for both of these I would say SotN holds up way better. It's expansive and deep in a way Metroid isn't. Both are great and Metroid basically invented the genre but SotN did it better.

#19 Edited by Rebel_Scum (1439 posts) -

Why not both?

#20 Edited by L33T_HAXOR (939 posts) -

Definitely Super Metroid.

Granted, I came to SOTN over 15 years after it came out. But I felt like I got overleveled way too quickly, and the controls felt clunky. Still a great game though. That art-style still looks gorgeous today.

#21 Posted by Gaff (2768 posts) -

While there is something to be said for both of them, I just remember the controls in Super Metroid being clunky as hell?

#22 Posted by LawGamer (1481 posts) -

Super Metroid.

#23 Posted by ripelivejam (13101 posts) -

@rebel_scum: that not how the internet works.

Anyway i never played sotn but super metroid.

#24 Posted by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

Castevania: Aria of Sorrow.

I never finished either of those. Super Metroid had a terrible quicksand platforming section that I couldn't get past and I couldn't figure out where to go in Symphony of the Night after a while.

#25 Edited by Belegorm (1848 posts) -

SotN. The looks, sounds, overall feel of the gameplay is incredible.

Also, if you avoid faqs or played it back in the day, the secrets in that game are next level. Some people went YEARS before they found the upside down castle!