Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Sounds like they'll be continuing to support every other platform outside of XBox, so they're not truly intent on killing off the franchise. Almost sounds like Minecraft on PS4, iOS, Android, etc. will turn into an XBox advert. Microsoft technology will apparently make the game better? Better worlds!

Sounds fine, don't panic yet.

News post on Xbox.com

Our relationship with Mojang began when we initially talked to the team about bringing Minecraft to the console. Minecraft quickly became the top online game on Xbox Live, with over two billion hours played on Xbox 360 in the last two years. That working relationship set the ground work for other opportunities. We’ve long seen the incredible potential of Minecraft.

At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people. Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC.

The Minecraft community is passionate and diverse, ranging across all ages and demographics. We respect the brand and independent spirit that has made Minecraft great, and we’ll carry on the tradition of innovation to move the franchise forward. Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.

We’re excited to confirm that MINECON will continue next year. We’ll look to create even more ways for the vibrant community of YouTuber’s, innovators, bloggers and players to connect with each other – both in person and online. We will have much more to share in the coming months.

The Minecraft team’s unique vision, creative energy and innovative mindset make them a perfect fit alongside our other global studios. Microsoft Studios includes 343 Industries, Turn 10 Studios, and Lionhead Studios just to name a few. These industry-leading game studios within Microsoft that have had great success with beloved games and massively popular franchises like Halo, Forza, and Fable. We’re excited to welcome Mojang to the Microsoft family and we are thrilled to support the success and longevity of Minecraft for years to come.

Phil

@XboxP3

Blog post at Mojang. Sounds like Notch wanted out to work on other stuff, and reiterates that Minecraft development on other platforms will continue:

Yes, the deal is real. Mojang is being bought by Microsoft.

It was reassuring to see how many of your opinions mirrored those of the Mojangstas when we heard the news. Change is scary, and this is a big change for all of us. It’s going to be good though. Everything is going to be OK. <3

Please remember that the future of Minecraft and you – the community – are extremely important to everyone involved. If you take one thing away from this post, let it be that.

We can only share so much information right now, but we’ve decided that being as honest as possible is the best approach. We’re still working a lot of this stuff out. Mega-deals are serious business.

Why did you sell Minecraft?

Minecraft has grown from a simple game to a project of monumental significance. Though we’re massively proud of what Minecraft has become, it was never Notch’s intention for it to get this big.

As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang. He’ll continue to do cool stuff though. Don’t worry about that.

There are only a handful of potential buyers with the resources to grow Minecraft on a scale that it deserves. We’ve worked closely with Microsoft since 2012, and have been impressed by their continued dedication to our game and its development. We’re confident that Minecraft will continue to grow in an awesome way.

Minecraft means many different things to millions of people across the world, and to each and every Mojangsta. We feel that this is the best way for everyone – you guys included – to benefit.

What about the other editions of Minecraft? Will they stop being developed?

There’s no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can’t make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.

We’re extremely proud of all editions and the awesome things you have achieved through playing together.

Is the game going to change? Will we still be able to make videos, mods, awesome builds, and all the cool stuff we’ve created over the past few years?

Minecraft will continue to evolve, just like it has since the start of development. We don’t know specific plans for Minecraft’s future yet, but we do know that everyone involved wants the community to grow and become even more amazing than it’s ever been. Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone’s interests.

What about the Mojang staff? What’s happening to you guys?

Though it’s too early to confirm which of us will continue working on Minecraft or other projects, we predict that the vast majority (if not all) Mojangstas will continue to work at Mojang for the time being.

The founders: Notch, Carl, and Jakob are leaving. We don’t know what they’re planning. It won’t be Minecraft-related but it will probably be cool.

What’s happening to the other Mojang projects, like Scrolls?

We don’t know yet. We’ll share any news as soon as we do.

Will you still be able to tweet about features and interact with the community on a personal level, just like you’ve done over the years?

Yes! That’s not going to change.

How much money was the company bought for?

Microsoft acquired Mojang for a smooth 2.5 BILLION dollars.

Thanks for reading everybody.

And here's a blog from Notch. Sounds like he was getting really sick of internet garbage and just wanted out:

I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Bollard

EDIT: Mojang blog was added to the OP.

$2.5 billion is crazy money.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: Yeah, just noticed that and added it, thanks.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThunderSlash

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? Nah it's cool...

The term "Mojangstas" on the other hand.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The thing they/Microsoft may not realize is that a lot of what made Minecraft interesting is a confluence of "random" stuff where touching or changing some of it will "break" it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MachoFantastico

I know Minecraft is stupidly popular, but $2.5 Billion dollars worth? Not to sure about that. I'm AMAZED microsoft say there going to keep supporting it for Playstation personally, totally thought they'd make it a console exclusive from this point forward (at least in regards to updates etc). Say what you will about Notch that dude aren't no fool and good luck to him, be interesting to see if it proves a good investment as it could go both ways. I'd have said Minecraft had its days years ago yet still I know people that adore it so it might be a smart purchase if Microsoft can manipulate it.

It's strange that they've bought 'Mojang' as you're basically buying Minecraft, can't think of much else they've done that's been particularly successful.

made me chuckle!
made me chuckle!

CharlesDA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CharlesDA

I wonder if they intend to give the XBone version any exclusive perks other than more texture packs. They have to be really careful not to piss anybody off.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's not very surprising to me that Notch would want to sell it, considering that he's been pretty strongly implying for the last year that he wants to work on other things and that Minecraft is too big for him to handle. It is weird to me that Microsoft would want to shell out over two billion dollars for it. That's a hell of an investment in something that's already out on everything except Nintendo platforms and the Vita and has been selling for several years already. When do they expect that to pay off?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico:

I think Notch made out like a bandit. I am not sure there is anything to improve or change that won't be controversial where I can see he didn't want to deal with it any more.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: If I was in Notch's position and was offered that much money for my product, I'd take it. Even though he's only going to get a percentage of it, its a percentage of $2.5B. Shit, I'd be happy with 1% of $2.5B.

I can't fathom how this is a good investment for Microsoft though. It's not like Mojang are proven to be a top developer. I'm sure they've seen what Mojang have in the pipeline though, but will it be worth that much? Is this just going to be Rare all over again?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*copy text from locked topic*

What the hell does MS want with Minecraft? Easily the most port-able game of all time and all of a sudden the fucking behemoth of antitrust emerges and gobbles it up.

THEORY:

MS hate ANY SOFTWARE that has sales on multiple platforms. In other words, anything that even resembles WINDOWS!

Minecraft sold gangbusters on 360 and the shitty execs at that division got all excited.

Then it comes out on PS3 and kaBOOM huge sales.

and what do you know, all of a sudden the VITA version is mysteriously delayed...

MS knows what will happen when Minecraft comes out on VITA. It will move that handheld like nothing else.

Without a doubt, Microsoft has consistently been the worst antagonist within the game industry making me wonder how people can vote a VIDEO GAME DEVELOPMENT STUDIO the worst company ever when MS have clearly demonstrated a passionate disdain for video games and the people who play them.

GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They will probably just allow Minecraft to continue to be available on the current platforms and support them as necessary. I would not be surprised though if we see exclusive stuff coming to Microsoft devices and systems.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markm: Minecraft is already on moblie platforms with Sony Xperia, iOS and Android devices. While some people might buy a Vita to play Minecraft on the go, this isn't going to see the sales of the Vita sky rocket at all.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: If I was in Notch's position and was offered that much money for my product, I'd take it. Even though he's only going to get a percentage of it, its a percentage of $2.5B. Shit, I'd be happy with 1% of $2.5B.

I can't fathom how this is a good investment for Microsoft though. It's not like Mojang are proven to be a top developer. I'm sure they've seen what Mojang have in the pipeline though, but will it be worth that much? Is this just going to be Rare all over again?

I can see how they make money from Mojang: They need to go out of their way to change absolutely nothing, port to new platforms and support old ones with vigor. But that REQUIRES the core Minecraft to almost never change where I'm not sure if anyone can keep their hands off. There will be a temptation do things like "Achievements" and "Mod API" and "In app store" that will easily ruin things.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markm: Minecraft is already on moblie platforms with Sony Xperia, iOS and Android devices. While some people might buy a Vita to play Minecraft on the go, this isn't going to see the sales of the Vita sky rocket at all.

Of all the platforms you mentioned, which one would you prefer to play Minecraft on?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

I'm very glad for Notch. Dude created something that has made a lot of people happy and now he's getting out before it causes him any more unhappiness. Hopefully he'll be able to have the quiet life he wants. The cash doesn't hurt either, of course.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man things sure turned out good for that Notch fella. I am delighted for him. He pretty much nailed it. Fair ball :)

tommytoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tommytoad
Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So they buy Mojang, but Notch leaves? So they basically just bought the source code of Minecraft and all the rights of the (now) franchise.

I'm awaiting the announcement of the Minecraft TV series and Minecraft Movie..

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Rotnac

Now Notch can buy all the fancy hats in the world!

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@extomar: What new platforms though? It's already out on everything but the Vita and Nintendo machines right? It's on iOS, Android and probably Windows phones. And since it's still just selling for about $20, it's going to take them a long time to make money back off just porting and supporting Minecraft, even with the DLC skins they sell on consoles.

@markm: Obviously it would control best on Vita. The Xperia it launched on had a control pad built into it (actual buttons) rather than touch screen, but I still don't see it suddenly making the Vita sell incredibly well. It'd be swell if it did because then maybe Sony would pay more attention to it. I still think the game will come to Vita and I don't think it'll impact it's sales that dramatically.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$2.4bn as the investment to buy all those sales of Minecraft 2.

Minecraft 2 exclusive to Surface tablets and Nokia phones.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daaaaaaaaaaaaayum

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Very smart move for Microsoft, this will be a nice source of revenue for them in the coming years.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

@jesus_phish said:

I can see how they make money from Mojang: They need to go out of their way to change absolutely nothing, port to new platforms and support old ones with vigor. But that REQUIRES the core Minecraft to almost never change where I'm not sure if anyone can keep their hands off. There will be a temptation do things like "Achievements" and "Mod API" and "In app store" that will easily ruin things.

Just noting that Minecraft (PC) has an achievement system already (fairly underdeveloped but it's there). I don't know the status of the Mod API but Notch promised such a thing was coming *years* ago. On PC I think there's basically a community developed API for mods to interoperate since built-in support was lacking for so long. I doubt any mod developer would consider the introduction of such an API on console to be "ruining things" -- if the game had had such a thing in alpha days developing mods would not have been such a huge chore (the first step was decompiling the base game FFS)

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember when Notch was a developer on a small team making a game called Wurm Online in Java a decade ago. I would sit in the IRC and talk along with everyone else about what I thought Wurm could use, mention bugs I found, etc. Wurm was (and still pretty much is) an amazing game that still hasn't been topped in terms of what a user can do to the world and the tangible impact you can have on the "society" of the game both positive and negative.

I remember when Notch declared that Wurm would "Never have dragons!" (which it later did end up having, creating an in joke that even appeared on loading screens) and when he asked everybody to "danec!" in local chat. I always thought he was an awesome developer capable of really great things. When he split from the team that worked on Wurm Online I remembered being sad as I felt the game was as much Notch's as anyone else but I knew he'd find something else cool to work on. Shortly after he began talking about and showing off some game called Minecraft and I repeated the process, hanging out in the IRC, chitchatting with Notch and others about this amazing game that he was working on. Little did any of us know that the game would be this massive thing that it is today but honestly it doesn't surprise me in the least. It also doesn't surprise me that Notch is a bit daunted by all this.

When he announced his space game and began working on it rather than a small irc of people he had millions on twitter berating him for information about his project nonstop. I can easily see for a dev that a decade ago was lucky to have 20 people in his IRC talking about his game could get a bit weirded out by that. No surprise to me he's stepping back and transitioning to working on stuff like he used to. I wonder if Mojang will keep this page up: https://mojang.com/notch/ It has a ton of his old projects, I personally always thought Breaking the Tower was pretty cool.

tl;dr - Notch is a great developer but it doesn't shock me at all that he's making this move.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super curious to see where this goes. Minecraft might be a cash cow, but 2.5 billion would take a long, long time to break even on with DLC or sequels on just their platforms. Hopefully something cool comes out of this.

Nals

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey if this means they finally bring Minecraft to Steam and add some Steam features, I'll dig it. I'm not sure how Microsoft can actually make a profit from this situation, but well, that seems to be the Microsoft mantra right now.

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely anyone owns minecraft at this point are they planing to make 2.5 billion by selling Crepper plushies?

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm cynically assuming that we'll see a Minecraft 2 and THAT will be Xbox One exclusive.

I dunno. 2.5 billion seems ridiculous for this game.

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft must be trying to turn Minecraft in to the next Lego, it will no longer be just a game but a franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesus_phish said:

I mean, it would be one thing if Notch stayed with Mojang and Microsoft, at least then there's talent there. But he's leaving along with most of the other talent at the top of Mojang, right? And they were already a tiny company to begin with. Intentionally so. This is basically Microsoft spending nearly two and ahalf billion dollars on a shell of company purely for the purposes of buying the rights to a game that has already been out for several years, on nearly every major platform, including phones and tablets.

How do you make up that cash with a $20 game that's already ran most of its course, and how do you utilize the talent of a company where the the top talent left in the process of the acquisition? I just don't get it. Buying Minecraft is a super smart idea; for 2011.

The only way I see this making sense is if we get "Minecraft 2" in 2016, exclusive to Windows. That'll definitely sit well with people.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Amikron

@wohlf said:

Microsoft must be trying to turn Minecraft in to the next Lego, it will no longer be just a game but a franchise.

@t_wester said:

Surely anyone owns minecraft at this point are they planing to make 2.5 billion by selling Crepper plushies?

Basically @wohlf it already is its own franchise. Hell, they have a Minecraft Lego set for sale. If you go to a Walgreens or CVS, Walmart, etc. in my area you will see Minecraft stickers, plushies, swords, box heads, pickaxes, and so on. It has been a franchise for a couple years at least. Hell, the Gamestop near me has a Minecraft section.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least now Notch might be able to afford funding Psychonauts 2...

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

Wow, Notch is majority stakehold, Mojang said. So at least 50% of 2.5 billion.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very interested in how Microsoft could possibly screw up Minecraft

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#38  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

What is this about the Internet exploding over a EULA thing? I don't follow MineCraft.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: A lot of people are pointing out that MS are buying the customer base of Mojang, which sits around 16 million people. When you look at it that way you think, that's a good number of customers. But then you look at Mojangs other game, Scrolls, has nowhere near the number of players that Minecraft has.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By Justin258

So Notch wants to fade into obscurity as a billionaire. Can a person really drop off the face of the Earth after making something that explodes like Minecraft has?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very smart move from both parties involved. If Notch was collapsing under the pressure of the name Mojang and Minecraft, then this is perfect - let a large corporation handle it while he can go do other things.

I wonder if he got to keep the Scrolls game though.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Fuck yeah, crazy money for financial security AND peace of mind by getting out of the spotlight of this crazy culture. Good on you, Markus, and have a great life.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By mosespippy

@t_wester said:

People still buy Pacman and Tetris over 25 years later. How much revenue have those franchises brought in over the decades? Minecraft will still be selling and bringing in revenue in 30 years. Spending $2.5 billion on it now is probably a steal.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering mojang has almost no output ... thats crazy money just to pay for the brand.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Notch sold out.

So damn sad.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Bollard

@gunslingerpanda: That Notch blog is an interesting read.

@marokai: A lot of people are pointing out that MS are buying the customer base of Mojang, which sits around 16 million people. When you look at it that way you think, that's a good number of customers. But then you look at Mojangs other game, Scrolls, has nowhere near the number of players that Minecraft has.

Scrolls is better than HearthStone though.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#47  Edited By Jazz

Given how people have appeared to react to developers recently and the amount of abuse some get - you can't blame him for wanting to leave all that behind and concentrate on doing stuff he actually enjoys rather than..well..the internet. I'm sure the money helped as well.

Best of luck to him.

I reckon this really should be just posts from the fake Kaz twitter account:

No Caption Provided

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_wester said:

People still buy Pacman and Tetris over 25 years later. How much revenue have those franchises brought in over the decades? Minecraft will still be selling and bringing in revenue in 30 years. Spending $2.5 billion on it now is probably a steal.

Good point, I just read up on it minecraft has apparently sold over 54 million copies. If they just play a commercial at the startup screen, could they reach millions of teens saving millions in advertising.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He got paid and got out. Seems like the dream situation for anyone. I can't be mad at him. Especially when you consider where Minecraft was to what it's become.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#50  Edited By Hailinel

@t_wester said:

Assuming Microsoft doesn't badly mismanage it. I just started playing Minecraft a little more than a week ago on the PS4, and now I'm curious to know how much support I can expect for that version of the game.