Low Resolution?

lordrenrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lordrenrew

Is it me? Is it the game? Is it my setup?

This is not a gripe, just curious if it's just me.

I've noticed that a lot of textures in this game are at a low resolution or lack detail (maybe muddy is a better word to describe it?), for example the textures of armor (like the bone helm, feathers on the Jagras Mail (detail on the Jagras Mail in general), wood on the trees and grass in the environment, and wood in general in Astera, weapons on the conveyor belt at the Smithy).

I've read other forums where others have mentioned the game is "blurry". Some have responded saying the HDR is broken and is making the colors washed out. While others have responded with "this game looks fantastic! it's smooth as butter!" I understand visual appeal is subjective, and that's fine, but at a technical level it seems a lot of objects in the game lack sharpness or detailed textures. Maybe it's the game's style.

In a lot of ways I'm struggling to describe it what I'm seeing, but maybe there are others experiencing the same thing.

FYI, I'm running on an X in "Resolution Mode" on a Sony x930e 4K TV.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By Forcen

Take some PS4 Xbox One X screenshots and share them, others that don't agree can take their own, compare and so on. Kinda curious myself since I don't have the game or a console that can run it.

Can one get a good 4k screenshot of a ps4 pro xbone x without tweeting it or facebooking it so it gets resized and compressed? Some PNG's would be cool.

EDIT: Oh, it was xbox.. still curious to see screenshots.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HeelBill

I'm playing on an X as well and have the same complaints with the graphics. Have tried all 3 types of rendering modes and they don't make a large difference texture-wise. The HDR does seem to have a weird, washed look but I was thinking that is just the games overall look, so I'm really not sure what it is, but I agree.

lordrenrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordrenrew

@heelbill: I think you and I are experiencing the same thing! Good to know I'm not the only one.

It's an "Xbox One X Enhanced" game but it doesn't look like one.

I guess it's the style of the game.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, i'm not sure what's going on. I actually gameflied the PS4 version so I'll be able to make sure it's how the game is supposed to look in HDR.

lordrenrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe I found the issue. It's the HDR. I've been reading that the HDR has made the game too bright and has washed out the colors. Turn the HDR off via the Xbox One X settings and restart the game. It looks considerably better.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordrenrew: i find washed out hdr to be a common issue when it comes to games. I thought it was just my tv at first but it seems people with better ones still have the same issues.

lordrenrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lordrenrew

I've done some more research and concluded that it's a HDR problem and not "low graphics" or "blurry". GameFAQs has a significant number of threads complaining about the washed out colors due to HDR brightness. Hopefully Capcom will patch it.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Xbox One (non X) version runs at some insane resolution bellow 1600x900.

Loading Video...

It's really badly optimized across the board, there's no option to cap at 30 in any version so the performance is all over the place regardless.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I made the right choice getting in now on the X.. it looks "fine." The HDR is pretty pointless. I would much rather have played on the PC, but i didn't want to wait a year for it. That said, if you are playing on any base hardware and have a PC too... hella wait.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm playing it on a regular PS4 and don't really see the low resolution, it does however have dynamic resolution in which the textures blur to maintain a steady framerate. But other than that everything looks crisp on my end.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the beta on a PS4 Pro (with a 1080p TV) then rented the game on my regular X1. The PS4 version looks a little bit better, but neither version looks very good. I think it's mainly because of the pretty bad lighting system. The lighting is VERY flat. Destiny 1 and other older games have way better lighting.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still on a stock PS4, but holy hell is it so much prettier and more playable than the previous 3DS games. I'm still just stoked to have a full-sized controller and if it's not a steady 30 frames, at least a responsive framerate. For the first time, my clumsy hands are semi-accurate with any kind of ranged weapon. If anyone's on the fence about the game because of graphics, I can't comment on the pro-level consoles or speculate about how much better the PC version might be, but nothing has bothered me unduly here compared to other content-heavy AA-level PS4 games.

BallPtPenTheif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@thatdudeguy: that's what drives me nuts about people who complain about MHW's art design pining over the days when they used to swing a giant blotchy hammer that vaguely resemebled a monster's head on DS. to each their own, but it's really not comparable.