• 96 results
spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By spraynardtatum

Goro is a god damn staple of the Mortal Kombat series not a pre-order bonus. Playing video games is about playing as Goro, not about making somebody extra cheddar.

WTF?

Set Goro free!
Set Goro free!

(please don't take me too seriously)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

#GoroGate

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Is he really a pre-order bonus? Fuck that.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone who cares enough will just preorder anyway.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#INTEGOROTY

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's already like 24 characters in the base game who have three different forms which change the way they play. Mortal Kombat is not hurting for dudes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

There's already like 24 characters in the base game who have three different forms which change the way they play. Mortal Kombat is not hurting for dudes.

They haven't revealed anywhere near that number of characters yet and they're already jumping on the "Preorder now and get Goro!" train.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@brodehouse said:

They haven't revealed anywhere near that number of characters yet and they're already jumping on the "Preorder now and get Goro!" train.

I'm not going to spend time getting mad about the way a game is being marketed. Because I don't play the marketing. I care about what's in the game.

The last game had 28 characters. Injustice had 30 characters. If you've watched some of the gameplay demos, there are 24 character portraits in the select screen. Add to this the three modes every character gets (which I think is overkill and makes the metagame super complicated). I bet you the 60 dollar product will have enough dudes in it to make it worth 60 dollars.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse: I'm super excited for Mortal Kombat X. I just think Goro is better than a fracking pre-order bonus. He's my favorite MK character!

It's not about having enough fighters. It's about Goro getting stuck behind an arbitrary paywall. It's MK blasphemy!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

Just wait until more preorder bonuses and retailer-specific exclusives are announced over the next six months, I'm sure this won't be the only. Gross.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mb said:

Just wait until more preorder bonuses and retailer-specific exclusives are announced over the next six months, I'm sure this won't be the only. Gross.

If they were smart, it would all just be various skins for Goro. Tuxedo Goro for GameStop, Bikini Goro for Best Buy, etc.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZolRoyce

@spraynardtatum: I'm with you on this, it is just dumb to do this.

It would be like putting Zangief behind a paywall for Street Fighter or something. It doesn't matter how many characters you have in the main game, it matters that a main, or debatable semi-main character is now locked off from the meat of the game. If it was some side/silly character then fine, like back when they did that 'play as Freddy Kruger!' and stuff like that, put any number of them behind a pay wall. But not someone who has been in the series since day 1, not cool.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about Goro?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Publishers do some slimy things to keep the retailers happy. It has become a sad truth in today's industry.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mike

@alexandersheen said:

Who cares about Goro?

People who like Mortal Kombat? If you don't have anything to contribute, please don't pop into threads with your dismissive one liners in an attempt at being edgy. If you don't care about a subject it would be preferable if you just suffered in silence.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How many games has Goro actually been playable in? Isn't a pretty small number? MK9 is the first one that I really got into but I always had a bit of knowledge of each game and I thought Goro was only a playable fighter in a couple of the games.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spraynardtatum

How many games has Goro actually been playable in? Isn't a pretty small number? MK9 is the first one that I really got into but I always had a bit of knowledge of each game and I thought Goro was only a playable fighter in a couple of the games.

Which makes it all the more shitty!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By kindgineer

As long as its just Goro, im ok with it. I figured they chose him is because he is a throwaway/novelty character right? Thats my perception of him at least.

Now, if they put a key fighter like Sub-Zero or Scorpion (character, not cosmetics) I think we'd have a problem. I dont think they will, though. This was most likely meant as a hype-generator to make the release date reveal more interesting, and to get more people talking about MKX.

I would be utterly surprised if any more content, excluding costume variants, end up on the pre-order cutting board.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trilogy, MK4, Deception, and Armageddon at least. There may be more, not sure.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@spraynardtatum said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Which makes it all the more shitty!

I don't know. I see it differently. He's a series mainstay for sure, but not one that's often playable compared to other characters. If they had made someone like Kung Lao or Johnny Cage a preorder bonus, I'd be angrier. Don't get me wrong, it's still gross but I'm not as worried about it since it's just a silly animatronic.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

This is unfortunate and gross, because you know that you're gonna have to pay $5 if you want to get Goro without pre-ordering. I guess the retailer specific character costumes that MK9 and Injustice had weren't enough.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Okay. 4 games out of 9 is a reasonable amount. I get it, then.

This is why they should just stick to costume packs for preorder bonuses (since they'll never not do preorder bonuses.)

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as its just Goro, im ok with it. I figured they chose him is because he is a throwaway/novelty character right? Thats my perception of him at least.

There's no reason why he has to be. Given his treatment in past games, and the fact that they've turned him into a pre-order bonus, it seems probable to me that he will be a novelty character in MKX. A new game could mean a new Goro. Just not for everybody.

And novelty characters can still be fun to play. The broad appeal of MK is, in part, novelty-driven--what with ultra-violence, X-ray moves, fatalities, etc.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just thought of something even worse. Because they've said he'll be available for purchase later, that means he'll have to be available to buy before they start on any season pass content, meaning we have to wait for Goro before we can get the season pass characters. Unless they make him a bonus for the season pass as well.

Lame.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Let my Goro go!

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cmblasko

Guess I'll be paying money for Goro DLC somewhere down the line because I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering the game.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@brodehouse: I'm super excited for Mortal Kombat X. I just think Goro is better than a fracking pre-order bonus. He's my favorite MK character!

It's not about having enough fighters. It's about Goro getting stuck behind an arbitrary paywall. It's MK blasphemy!

I see where you're coming from man and I agree that this sucks. But look, this game is probably one of the safe bets you can make as a pre order. I absolutely hate pre orders and you know what? It really sucks that this and Alien Isolation are basically forcing my hand to pre order simply cause I don't wanna pay extra for content I could get for free. So don't take this the wrong way, I would LOVE for Goro to be just included. Would love it! But, if you HAVE too, I think this one is safe to pre order because damn it looks utterly fantastic.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Goro even seem interesting to any of you from a gameplay standpoint? Big dude with four arms just doesn't seem like it would be very fun to play as. I think this could be worse.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Does Goro even seem interesting to any of you from a gameplay standpoint? Big dude with four arms just doesn't seem like it would be very fun to play as. I think this could be worse.

Could turn out to be a grappler. That interests me.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 49th  Online

Goro should only be provided for those who pay for the privilege. Goro is not something you are entitled to, Goro is earned.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By csl316

If you were a kid when MK first came out, Goro achieved this mythical status. He was just a powerhouse, a terrifying presence that would always catch your eye when walking past the arcade intro screen.

I was going to preorder the game, anyway, but fighting games have always used characters as DLC so I'm not too shocked by this. It's not great, but it's a well-known character that's not playable in all the games. I guess I'd rather have him as an extra thing than not have him in there at all.

People that have nostalgia about a dude named Gore-O would be a good target for a preorder campaign. The art looks pretty cool, at least.

Release me....
Release me....
Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mb said:

@mariachimacabre said:

Okay. 4 games out of 9 is a reasonable amount. I get it, then.

This is why they should just stick to costume packs for preorder bonuses (since they'll never not do preorder bonuses.)

4 out of 10. Trilogy isn't counted as a main entry in the series as it's just a weird buggy mess of the first 3 games not made by Netherrealm.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made my decision. On account of principal, I am going to bravely sacrifice my ability to play as Goro (My favorite MK character) in MKX. For the good of the many I won't be pre-ordering MKX nor buying him later on as a DLC. I know some of you don't understand this but I'm doing it for you. I'm going to be like Jesus.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viciousbearmauling said:

Yeahhhh, but you know how NetherRealm's Grapplers end up with those weird ass inputs.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I...Can't get mad...I already preordered it, I'm already stoked for MKX, and I'm stoked for Goro,but there is a high chance of me, playing Goro...maybe once, to get a feel?

Like most fighting games, I'll play a few and ignore the rest... sono harm done...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@starvinggamer said:

Yeahhhh, but you know how NetherRealm's Grapplers end up with those weird ass inputs.

I GOTTA BELIEVE!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made my decision. On account of principal, I am going to bravely sacrifice my ability to play as Goro (My favorite MK character) in MKX. For the good of the many I won't be pre-ordering MKX nor buying him later on as a DLC. I know some of you don't understand this but I'm doing it for you. I'm going to be like Jesus.

Dude step back from the ledge and get your Goro.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

Dude step back from the ledge and get your Goro.

I won't. I'm that dedicated. It's amazing.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Looks like Goro got nut-punched by the marketing team.

Loading Video...

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

I GOTTA BELIEVE!

Ferra/Tor seem to fill that cool grappler quota... and Grundy was alright in Injustice... and he (they?) just look cooler than Goro.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think enough people like to play Goro that holding him hostage as pre-order dlc is a little gross, but that those people might also have enough faith that MKX will be good that pre-ordering might be alright. I just don't think those people (Goro lovers) should have to bet on the game being good to get the character they want.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#NOTYOURGORO to use for selling more preorders. Think of Goro's feelings y'all.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

WB is the worst about this.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOD DAMMIT! It's 2014! Can we stop using whateverthefuck-gate to describe stuff.

#GoroGhazi

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

Guess I'll be paying money for Goro DLC somewhere down the line because I'm sure as hell not pre-ordering the game.

So, you're more comfortable giving the publisher extra money than pre-ordering, which costs you nothing? Look, I understand the dislike of all the pre-order bonuses, retailer specific bonuses, and other similar marketing tactics, but let's be reasonable here. If you're going to buy the game and you want this character, just fucking pre-order. If you spend extra later you're not "sticking it to 'em" by refusing to engage in pre-order business practices, you're giving them extra money.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cmblasko

@ll_exile_ll said:

@cmblasko said:

So, you're more comfortable giving the publisher extra money than pre-ordering, which costs you nothing? Look, I understand the dislike of all the pre-order bonuses, retailer specific bonuses, and other similar marketing tactics, but let's be reasonable here. If you're going to buy the game and you want this character, just fucking pre-order. If you spend extra later you're not "sticking it to 'em" by refusing to engage in pre-order business practices, you're giving them extra money.

Not if I wait a month when the game is $20 less. I don't buy very many games new these days.

EDIT: Also, I know this isn't likely, but what if the game comes out poorly or has online problems? Then that pre-order comes back to bite you.

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@cmblasko said:

Not if I wait a month when the game is $20 less. I don't buy very many games new these days.

You're gonna be waiting longer than a month, if you're planning on saving $20... But then kick back the POSSIBLE $5 IF they sell Goro after the fact?

What.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanx: Not sure if I'm missing something about what you're saying. If I wait for the price of the game to come down and then pay some money for DLC of Goro I am still paying less than $60, right? These are all hypothetical numbers, I'm just saying that for my situation it makes more sense to wait and not pre-order because I don't plan on paying $60 for the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Efesell  Online

I dunno, Goro is so rarely playable at all that he seems like kind of a logical fit for a dlc bonus.

It's not like pre-order now to unlock Scorpion.