I'm Almost Angry How Fun This Game Is

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

After bouncing off DNF due to my old-man hands and brain not being able to do anything close to the kinds of combos required to be good at that game, and since it's presented as entry-level and basic, apparently that genre is one I'm just done with. So I wanted something a bit more casual, and something I wouldn't have to plunk down $20-$60 to find out if I'm even decent at it, or enjoy it...so the pricetag on this one really spoke to me.

And goddamnit: this game is a fucking delight! 2v2 was something I was incredibly skeptical of, but it really is the best way to experience the game because characters really bounce off each other and interact with each other in fascinating ways, and I think certain characters would suddenly become massively imbalanced in 1v1.

Characters have classes that give basic ideas of things like weight, offense, speed, defense, and the game is massively populated, so rounds take less than 30 seconds to get into. There are perks that change things, but don't weigh too heavily on the game...

Unless it goes bonkers and becomes pay-to-win, or they overhaul perks to make them way more broken, this feels like it could become quite a delightful diversion.

And I hate myself for having this much fun with it!

shiyamiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wish there was at least a bare bones starting roster instead of this rotating nonsense, and I wish there was a little more level variety but otherwise I enjoy it a lot. I'm glad they're going for unconventional fighters as well.

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I wish there was at least a bare bones starting roster instead of this rotating nonsense, and I wish there was a little more level variety but otherwise I enjoy it a lot. I'm glad they're going for unconventional fighters as well.

If it's any consolation, they give you Wonder Woman for free for finishing the tutorial and she's maybe the most barebones character on the roster in my opinion.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've been having a BLAST with it. Spent my first gold to unlock Bugs and haven't looked back. I've used some other people for challenges and haven't disliked anyone yet, though I do wonder when the next character I actually care about will come out (super don't care about LeBron or Rick & Morty).

Also stuff like this is super charming:

https://twitter.com/GabrielCantorVT/status/1552110172847357952?t=5qUVBs_eSDgUzRcCv9iaTA&s=09

TheFourSeven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt exactly the same way about the game when I started. Knowing WB's history and the fact that it's a f2p game, I came in extremely cynical. By the time I got my first double ringout with a Bugs Bunny rocket at the end of the first play session, I had to admit to myself that I was actually having a great deal of fun.

Also Reindog is somehow adorable and terrifying at the same time, and my favorite character to use so far. Gandalf was on a leaked upcoming roster list, and if he's real I'm looking forward to him.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It does feel extremely wonky in how the characters move/feel and the ways that their attacks interact (hit and hurt boxes), but at this point I'm finding that I'm having fun whether I win or lose. Overall, it's a surprisingly good game. I really hope that they have a bunch of characters in the chamber because I think that it'll live or die by how quickly the roster is able to expand.

What I do absolutely love is how MultiVersus looks. There's something about the way that the characters are animated that is really striking, fluid, and gorgeous. I think that the game is getting a ton of mileage out of that aspect alone with me.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiyamiro: At this point it's still in Beta, and they're giving you a pretty good variety of characters (I think there are 1 from each class, plus Wonder Woman for completing the tutorial), so I expect that'll change as the game grows and evolves. Plus it's a good system for "try before you buy," and I was hoping more competitive games would following the Killer Instinct model anyway.

@ultimaxe: Timing and hurt boxes are definitely still my biggest hurdle, I feel like I'm whiffing and don't QUITE understand why, but I'm hoping that comes with experience and game tweaks.

@epidehl:I randomly went with Garnet, and I have not looked back. She is an absolute beast with a pretty decent suite of support for how offense-based she is.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I had a ton of problems with the netcode, but when it works, its really pretty good.

Characters feel pretty different and there is a lot of variety. Despite being quite cynical with WB and how they handle their properties, there is someone there that is having fun with the choices... Most of the locked characters are pretty cheap, and the rotating rooster makes it easier to experience different playstyles.

Currently maining Superman.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

This game is easily going to over take Smash or at least give it some good competition over the coming years. The roster potential in this game is sick, and if they do as good a job as they did with Space Jam Lebron, this game will be hard to beat. I played a little bit of it and liked it as lot. I might become a Batman main, but I haven't decided yet. Just the simple things like the authentic dialog of each character make this game special. What was Nickelodeon thinking with their Smash clone not having voices? A failure out the gate.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the main reason i haven't tried it yet is because i'm not really into cartoons, how cartoony is it?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

I think the main reason i haven't tried it yet is because i'm not really into cartoons, how cartoony is it?

I mean...VERY? Characters like Finn, Jake, Stephen Universe, Garnet, Shaggy, Velma, Bugs Bunny, and Tom & Jerry are translated directly from their cartoon sources, while Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, and Arya Stark are very...Pixar/Dreamworks-y versions of the characters. LeBron James is straight out of when he got cartoonified in Space Jam 2, but it all looks consistent.