Does anyone else find using a 3DS or Switch uncomfortable?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've had a New 3DS XL for a long time a rarely use it but I finally picked up Metroid: Samus Returns and it is great however I have to stop playing after a short period because my wrists hurt like crazy while using it, it's very uncomfortable to hold and keep my fingers on the buttons and it's just Carpal Tunnel inducing.

I never use the Switch in handheld mode because of the same issues, it's just simply hard to hold it and use it. I think the switch could be better if the Joycons were maybe fatter but they are so flat it like you have to hold it weird.

Also, this is a great opportunity to say, Metroid games should ALWAYS use a D-Pad for movement. NOT the circle thing. Holy shit.

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have a non-New (old?) 3DS XL and I am right there with you. I really wanted to pick up one of the non-XL "New"s, but they only sold the damn things in north america for like 1 day. I wonder if the size/weight difference might have been more comfortable, especially hitting the triggers.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have tiny weak hands and I've never had issues with the 3DS which I still play (it's the small 3DS from 2011). I enjoy playing the Switch in handheld mode too but my issue with it is that it's a little too heavy for me. I find ring and little fingers can feel strained often by holding up the controller (I think this is due to the flatness thing). I've been assuming it was bacause I was a sickly person who isn't very strong, but maybe it's the flatness of the joycons reducing my grip.

Zebasteroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My hands are pretty small, so I think they're pretty good for the 3DS. I've had some pain in them after a few hours of Monster Hunter, but nothing major. No problems whatsoever with the Switch.

There are several grips to buy for the 3DS to make it more comfortable to hold. Maybe try one of those?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep definitely. I don't even have big hands and I can't play Samus Returns for longer than half hour or so. The Switch I bought grips for, so I manage with it more so than the 3DS.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

I bought a grip for my 3DS XL that really helps and I usually stick to playing my Switch on the TV.

The grip doesn't help with the circle pad, though, that thing needs some texture to it.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Weird, I have giant hands and have no issues with the Switch in handheld mode or the single joycons themselves

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sogeman

Switch mostly because of stick placement. 3ds was just bad like all their dual screen handhelds or even the SP in hindsight. 2ds is fine.

jakoo_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone that bought the Switch thinking I'd use it mostly portable, I find myself much preferring to use it docked--especially for games that rely on motion control. I think the form factor of the N3DS XL is actually pretty perfect from a width and weight perspective, and almost wonder if Nintendo will ever release a "Switch Mini" to cater to even greater portability.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

3DS XL yes after a short while it does start to hurt, my Switch doesn't hurt my hands at all they only time that becomes bad is because of the weight and only after a serious amount of playtime (1+ hour).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

At first, playing Samus Returns on the N3DSXL made my hands cramp up something fierce. Genuinely uncomfortable. I eventually stopped trying to keep my index fingers situated over the shoulder buttons at all times, only using them when I needed them. That has worked out pretty well to this point. My hands aren't especially large, though.

As far as the Switch goes, I'm in love with the feel of the Joycons. Nunchuck, grip-mode, tablet mode. I'm happy using them in almost every orientation.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I either built up muscles to tollerate holding the Switch in handheld mode or I destroyed the nerves responsible for pain.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Neurogia

Nintendo needs to make an app that lets you use the Switch's pro controller or the joycons with the 3DS.

What's hilarious is that they've already done such a thing with letting the 3DS be used as a controller for the WiiU version of Smash Bros.

Boss_Kowbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

To anyone getting hand cramps with a New 3DS XL, I’d almost recommend picking up the 2DS XL. The plastic may feel somewhat cheap when you’re holding it, but I believe it’s lighter than other XLs, and the larger form factor distributes that weight better.

Blastr85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The 3DS and the Wii U I find both to be very uncomfortable. Even the pro controller for the Wii U was awkward as hell, but not tiring to hold.

The 3DS XL is the worst. Using the Dpad makes my left hand tired from supporting the weight of the device.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't like how the switch feels in handheld mode. 3ds is usually okay unless I play certain games or for hours on end.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a numb pinky when holding the 3DS for a long time but don't have problem with the switch but I'm not holding that thing for a long time either.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I had problems with the regular 3DS but the XL fixed that for me. I wish the Switch controllers were more fit for my hands but it's better than the original 3DS was.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it's horrible.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an OG 3DS and that thing is terrible to hold.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been okay with the Switch, and I can play for the XL for a little bit before my fingers and wrists start to hurt and/or go numb. The DS Lite and original 3DS were complete nightmares for me. For handhelds that I have extremely fond memories of (and in some cases and still forming fond memories for -- like Metroid), it's a system I don't/can't play for very long.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have not tried a Switch but playing racing games or anything else quite intense on the 3DS XL (or the DS and DS Lite before it) quickly gives me cramp.

SeraO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't tried the Switch yet, but definitely find 3DS and 3DSXL uncomfortable. The GBA SP which was pretty much a wrist destroyer for me, so Nintendo stuff just seems to not work with my hands.

I find 2DS is less tiring to hold, but not by a lot.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't have a Switch, but I always found the DS lite and 3DS XL uncomfortable to use while lying down (though I have the same problem with my phone and with books, so maybe I just have weak circulation in my limbs when they're above my body or something lol); no issues with anything while sitting or standing.

chekhonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3ds/xl make my hands cramp. Especially the padded part of my hand that my thumbs connect to. The switch with joycons connected nor the pro controller hurt my hands. The only other controller of recent memory that hurts my hands is playing a souls game on the xbox one controller. The way that you have to adjust your grip to have control over the RB and LB for light attacks and blocking make me grip it too tight.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think i have average hands? Either way, i reaaaaaly dont like using the joycons, without my pro controller i'd be anti-switch. Maybe if I was forced to use the joycon i'd get more used to them? just doesn't sit properly in the hand. 3ds has ruined my hands from picross 3d alone haha,

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Mcfart

The Switch is 399g with the joycons attached. That's pretty damn heavy, much more so than the typical ~150g phone, whereas The 3DS XL is 336g, also more than double the weight of an average phone.

In comparison, the New 2DS XL is 260g, and the DS Lite (most popular DS revision) is 214g. The Gameboy Color was 138g, and the Gameboy Advance OG was 80(!) grams.

Nintendo used to be really strict about their consoles being "pocketable" and portable, but they seem to have thrown that away to sell gimmicks like the 3DS (and the XL). Now you have to be wary of wrist issues when using Nintendo portables. They really REALLY need to deploy a Switch Lite...399 G is insane. That alone is reason not to get a Switch for primarily portable use.

PavlovianHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say about the switch as I haven't played one yet, but if they are as thin as you describe I can see it being a problem.

But nah, I have no problems with my 3ds. I dunno, maybe doing 'the claw' for so long to play PSP monster hunter has built up my wrists and hands.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

If I’m holding it up, the switch isn’t too great on the meaty parts of my palms if I’m keeping a finger on both shoulders and triggers. I can make it more tolerable if I only have my intex fingers on the back buttons. If I’m leaning forward and just resting it in my hands, it’s not too bad.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah playing monster hunter on a old 3ds XL with no circle pad pro is something you can only do for half a hour before your wrists tend to collapse. Pokémon is fine though for longer playthroughs but the ergonomics of a 3DS overall are really bad.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I bought a grip for my 3DS XL that really helps and I usually stick to playing my Switch on the TV.

The grip doesn't help with the circle pad, though, that thing needs some texture to it.

I said this and then went to Amazon and bought this and it's been working out pretty well for me thus far. I actually played a fair bit of Metroid: Samus Returns and had no issues doing so, whereas before I had to stop playing for a little while because my thumb just felt like it would slip right off the cirlce pad. So yeah, probably going to try and play some other 3DS games that make heavy use of the circle pad.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not so much my wrists that hurt but my neck cramps from looking down for too long which is why I prefer console gaming in general. However I much prefer the ergonomics of the 3DS as oppose to the Vita which I definitely can't get use to without a handle attachment. Also I didn't think too much about the circle pad when playing Samus Returns as it didn't noticeably affect my gameplay and I liked free aiming with it.

thepenguin55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone with big hands the 3DS is hugely unfcomfortable... if I have to use the shoulder buttons frequently. Otherwise, I'm totally fine. I actually find the Switch fairly comfortable to hold despite it not being very ergonomically designed.