#1 Posted by Rorie (5524 posts) -

They added Hard and Expert settings to the game. That's neat, but it's unfortunate that it took this long; I eventually gave up on the idea of this coming down the pipe and just plowed through to the end of it. I doubt I'll ever play the game again but it's nice that these options are there for people who might come to it later!

Version 1.03

• New difficulty modes added: Hard and Expert. You can choose how hard you want your challenge to be when you select “New Game” from the title screen, or by entering the in-game options menu at any time. Three difficulty levels are available: Normal, Hard, and Expert. The higher the setting, the harder the battles will be, but this will be offset by rarer treasures from monsters, from the chests in the Faraway Forest, and certain other places. You’ll also be able to access the true potential of accessories, with monsters occasionally dropping ones with two skills! (This won’t affect any you already own.)New equipment skills added.
    • Maximum quality level of equipment drops expanded (in Hard or higher).
    • Chances of rare item drops increased (in Hard or higher).
  • Rare accessories with second skill slot added.
  • Various other game balance issues and minor bugs have also been addressed.
    • A bug that allowed the airship to land in places where it should not be able to land has been fixed.
    • Steam version only: A bug that made the player unable to control the camera at specific screen resolutions has been fixed.
Staff
#2 Posted by Zeik (5183 posts) -

I'm glad I decided to hold off on playing the game. This will be a nice option when I get around to it.

I think I'll still wait to until the DLC is out though, to see if they add anything meaningful.

#3 Posted by MATATAT (1224 posts) -

If I can change 1/3 into the game like I am now I'll probably boost it up.

#4 Posted by MerxWorx01 (804 posts) -

@rorie: @matatat: agreed. I'll be checking this when I get home. Hopefully it can be changed mid campaign. It's a really fun game but it being on the easy side you have less reason to utilize abilities and upgrade items. Thanks for bringing this up Rorie.

#5 Posted by Rorie (5524 posts) -

@rorie: @matatat: agreed. I'll be checking this when I get home. Hopefully it can be changed mid campaign. It's a really fun game but it being on the easy side you have less reason to utilize abilities and upgrade items. Thanks for bringing this up Rorie.

It sounds like you can change difficulties at any time, which is nice!

Staff
#6 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

Great for people that waited for that, I agree it took a bit too long. Now, hopefully we'll get some info on the DLCs. I imagine we'll get some announcements soon, since they released an update to this after such a long time. I don't mind the easy difficulty, it's a perfect stress-free JRPG for me (tho there are some later fights, especially in side content that can be tough) I bought it a few weeks ago on the deal of the week PSN sale and I'm almost done with the story, 78 hours so far, on the last chapter, with a large number of side stuff completed. I'm enjoying this a lot! Especially the Kingdom Building aspect, but other stuff as well. I'm totally going for 100% and the platinum!

#7 Posted by poobumbutt (944 posts) -

Sick awesome. As weird as it sounds, I rather like geinding in RPGs if I've got something to watch while I do it. Since I only got about 2 hours into the game the first time, I'll probably just start over.

Now I wonder if - ironically - expert difficulty will end up being the opposite of normal and be crushingly difficult. Given that the base difficulty was nearly insulting in its ease, I'm inclined to choose expert, but who knows, maybe hard is the happy medium? Well, you can change it anytime, so whatever.

Great news. Thank you, Rorie.

#8 Posted by TheWildCard (692 posts) -

Good to see, although I don't know if I'll find the motivation to go back at this point.

#9 Posted by ripelivejam (13074 posts) -

Hooray, time to trick myself into thinking I have any skill, get frustrated at my suckiness, then drop it back down to Normal! (and potentially still suck at it)

#10 Posted by sparky_buzzsaw (8777 posts) -

This is the one game I've really been eyeballing this Steam sale. I don't particularly care about games being too easy (I'd rather it swing that way than the other) but the fact that they're still supporting it goes a long way towards me purchasing it. That's cool.

#11 Posted by Rorie (5524 posts) -

This is the one game I've really been eyeballing this Steam sale. I don't particularly care about games being too easy (I'd rather it swing that way than the other) but the fact that they're still supporting it goes a long way towards me purchasing it. That's cool.

It's pretty good on PC!

Staff