Everything sucks forever - starting January 10th, 2017!

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By moregrammarplz

What is Night in the Woods about?

College dropout Mae Borowski returns home to the crumbling former mining town of Possum Springs seeking to resume her aimless former life and reconnect with the friends she left behind. But things aren't the same. Home seems different now and her friends have grown and changed. Leaves are falling and the wind is growing colder. Strange things are happening as the light fades.

And there's something in the woods.

Is it pretty?

YES.

Is the music goo-

YES.

How's the gameplay?

I have no idea!

I want to play it right now!

Me too. You can get a taste of the game's story and setting through two short demos available at the official Night in the Woods website on the internet located at this URL, if you click on these words it will go to there

In Longest Night, gather around the campfire with Mae and her friends, and learn what the constellations in the night sky above really mean.

In Lost Constellation, learn about the legendary folk hero Adina Astra, an astronomer who ventured into the frozen wilderness on the longest night of the year in search of a star that's gone missing.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the few KS projects I wish I would've backed when it was possible, just for the sake of supporting the game. I'm glad a whole bunch of other people did, so that the game's getting made. I'm pretty excited that it's only about a month away from it's release, really hope it'll be a good way to start off the year 2017.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've sort of just thought this game is never coming out and would forever exist as pretty pictures Scott Benson tweets out but hey, I'll take it for reals too.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

This is one of the few KS projects I wish I would've backed when it was possible, just for the sake of supporting the game. I'm glad a whole bunch of other people did, so that the game's getting made. I'm pretty excited that it's only about a month away from it's release, really hope it'll be a good way to start off the year 2017.

I missed out on backing it too but I might buy an extra copy or two when it comes out to gift to some of my less financially-solvent friends.

I've sort of just thought this game is never coming out and would forever exist as pretty pictures Scott Benson tweets out but hey, I'll take it for reals too.

It's been three years! That's a long time. I hope it'll be worth it. It's gorgeous to look at but I get the feeling I'm going to finish it the day I get it.

Also - brand new trailer!

Loading Video...

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Think I will play through Lost Constellation again over Christmas, get me in the mood for this game.

Also, the Longest Night track has me very excited for the soundtrack, hoping it can all match the melancholy beauty of that.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sadly got delayed 'till early February. No official date given yet, which I guess is why I haven't seen that many mentions about this besides their Twitter account (or I just haven't looked hard enough).

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

This sadly got delayed 'till early February. No official date given yet, which I guess is why I haven't seen that many mentions about this besides their Twitter account (or I just haven't looked hard enough).

This bites. I literally just got home a few minutes ago and immediately got on Steam to buy it, only to find out there's been a last-minute delay.

Here's hoping everything's alright over there.

Coleslaw893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

They just announced on twitter it'll be out the 21st of February. Everything is apparently fine with development, but it's a core team of only 3 people working in separate apartments.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least it remained within Februray. Can just jump right into Horizon after playing this then, I suppose!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No delays anymore, it's happening on tuesday! Well...except if you plan to play this on the PS4 and live in the EU. That version apparently got delayed 'till the 28th day for whatever reason. I just went and pre-ordered the game from the US Store instead, saved some money as well. Got it pre-loaded and ready to go...psyched!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@glots: Pre-load on Steam not available yet. Hopefully it will be soon, I heard the game is like 7 gigs? Pretty damn excited for this release.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I pre-ordered this game in mid-December because I thought the release date was December 31 2016. Not only was that obviously a placeholder date, it was for the NEXT year, not the current one. Anyway, glad I didn't have to wait too long, this game looks rad as Hell. Monday night can't come fast enough.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: Well, Twitter just revealed that they're still suppose to patch the game, so this was probably some technical hiccup! Downloading again tomorrow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: Ah, alright.

Does anyone know exactly when the game is available by the way? Sorry but these time zones always make my head in. As of now it says 22 hours left on my Steam, but I suspect that might be inaccurate? Steam release times are always a bit sketchy.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magmamud: My PS4 pre-order has 18 hours and 28 minutes to go as I'm writing this...but I'm from EU and bought it with a US account, so uh, it'd be...I don't know, time zones suck. But I do know that each time I've had a timer counting down on a digital game on PS4, I've been able to launch it right after the counter has reached zero.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots: I'm from EU as well. If your timer is correct though, then I think the game will release at morning in the US. Like 6AM maybe Pacific Time? I just assumed it would be a midnight release. Or maybe I have my counting wrong.

In any case, good to know my Steam timer isn't totally off.

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Kickstarter message says 10AM Pacific for the Steam release, 8AM Pacific for the PSN release.

(However it also says I should have a key by now but I do not).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummytreesap: Thanks! Then all seems to be correct. Hope you get your key in time, I can't imagine you would receive it after the game unlocks.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it on PS4 for a while now and it's been great! The dialog's amazing and it looks so good!

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once I get off work it's gaming time.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By militantfreudian

I'm dying to play this after having enjoyed Lost Constellation, but uh, I came home from work and it seems like there was a day-one patch and now the game's like 14GB. That's a lot for a 2D game with no voice acting, isn't it? I'm not complaining; just slightly puzzled.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@militantfreudian: I'm downloading the patch right now and it's 6.9 (nice) gigs. My guess is it's downloading the original file and then the updated version. Original file I think was around 6.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By moregrammarplz

Been playing for a couple hours. The game's such a joy to look at. The dialogue is smart and funny. Music is brilliant.

Demon Tower is no joke. The difficulty ramps up pretty seriously. I wonder if beating it unlocks something.

I feel like this game might be pretty hard to quick look, since it's so focused on dialogue and a quick look that shows off the minigames might not be representative of the actual game itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam says I've been playing for 3 hours, but I think it might be closer to 4.5-5 hours.

Anyway, the game has been real solid so far. There is definitely a slow start and progression to it that I didn't expect, which makes me think that maybe it's fairly long for an adventure game. Real curious to see how the story evolves as well as the gameplay. (If there is any puzzle stuff)

@moregrammarplz: Yeah demontower is kind of hardcore. It feels like Hyper Light Drifter in a lot of ways. It's really substantial for a "game within a game" that you could easily disregard or miss.

EDIT: Also Germ is best character (next to Mae)

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really, really liking this. Been Playing for 5ish hours and, surprisingly, I don't feel like I'm really that far in. Seems like it might be pretty long. The writing is maybe some of my favorite writing I've ever seen in a game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this game might be pretty hard to quick look, since it's so focused on dialogue and a quick look that shows off the minigames might not be representative of the actual game itself.

They did check out Lost Concellation, so I imagine GBeast will cover this too. Maybe in a Playdate, if not with just a Quick Look?

The writing, characters, art...everything has been so amazing so far...and also surprisingly relatable on some levels. This has a good chance to climb up on my GoTY list already.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't even know this was out and even though I only played a tiny bit I'm already in love with it. I get a huge Kentucky Route Zero vibe from it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By glots

I like the fact that they've basically made a Hyper Light Drifter lite game-within game for this (as stated above, apparently!). On the sixth floor currently myself and it's starting to get tricky.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew I shouldn't have had tacos – I don't even like tacos! I wonder if that could've gone more smoothly. Also, it seems like the the two supplemental games do provide some context to the relationships between the characters. This game has been great so far; it has an incredibly charming sense of humor.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone beaten it yet? I'm Looking to see how long I can enjoy this. After playing some more I can definitely say this is the most charming fucking game I've ever played.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By glots

@shotgunlincoln: Just finished my morning session and I *think* I might be close to the end...or at least way past the half-point. I'd love to be wrong, because I want this to keep on going forever. Wish there'd be statistics, but I'd say I have sunk maybe 5-7 hours into it by now? I've tried to take my time with every day and do anything I've been able to.

I also kinda have the Heavy Rain dilemma at the moment, where I'm thinking that I should just stick to one playthrough, because that's how I experienced the world/story and I shouldn't "alter" it by doing another playthrough and choosing different activities to do...buuuut this world's so charming that I'll probably have to jump back in at some point, if not right after the first playthrough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shotgunlincoln: I'm 9 hours in and I think I'm getting close to the end. Still have new places to check out though.

@glots: I kind of feel the same about not necessarily going back. I know there are some parts I have missed or choices/sections I have screwed up, but I might just watch a Let's Play for that stuff. At the same time though this game is fun enough that I wouldn't mind replaying it.

EDIT: Also looking forward to Alex's QL later today.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not the most apt comparison, but I get a similar buzz as I did being in The Witcher 3 world, I just enjoy being in the town, walking along the power lines and talking to people. Finding it a very good experience, and some of it very relatable and a bit close to the bone around experiences I have had recently returning to my home town.

Also, I really like Mae's jumping animation. For whatever reason I just like watching her jump between cars and letter boxes, some satisfying animation in this game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By glots

Welp, looks like my first guess was right, the ending was just around the corner! Really wonderful experience as a whole...and a bit draining (not in a bad way). I'm kinda glad I'll have something a bit more video gamey like Horizon to dig into soon!

The ending came close to Grim Fandango's ending to me on a personal level. Not quite as "This really is the end for these characters", yet still very much something that left me a little somber, but mostly happy and satisfied. I liked the story as a whole and the supernatural elements worked for me...and I can't state how happy I am that none of the main characters ended up dying or something close to that, it probably would've messed me up. It still managed to have a handful of experiences that I was "unfortunately" able to really relate to, Bea especially reminded me of a friend I have (and was also possibly my favourite character after Mae).

I'm not sure what was up with the Janitor. Just a supernatural guy helping you along somehow? The graveyard had a statue with a silhouette that made me think of him, not sure if it was related.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this game looks really cool but unfortunately for me it's being released at a bad time and clashing with HZD.

I'll get around to it though.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the life of me, I can't do a good job with that Pumpkin Head song.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I wish that there was better signaling about which hang-out sessions end the day and which don't.

I missed out on a couple of scenes with Germ and the mouse girl who hangs out on the rooftop because I figured hanging out with them would lock me out of hanging out with Bea or Gregg, the way that hanging out with Bea locks you out of hanging out with Gregg.

It's no huge deal since I plan on replaying the game eventually but it kinda sucks.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By chebbles

@moregrammarplz: I just had that issue with the kid on the roof, felt back turning him down to go to the tracks, I was enjoying our rooftop conversations.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it, great game and a solid ending. Took me about 11 hours. Tried my best to see every little thing and get every piece of dialogue I could.
Anyone know how to get to the windmill thing that is next to the building where the horror movie fan hangs out? Its like on a plaque that says 1901 or something. Even with the high jump I couldn't get to it. I got all the others.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even hear about this game until I saw the quick look and man this game looks damn interesting. It's something different that I think I just have to play.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a few games I've bought after watching a quick look because I found them charming. Oxenfree, Life is Strange and now this. Bought the supplemental games too, so I hope these guys do well with it.

moregrammarplz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By moregrammarplz

Just finished the game! Mega spoilers below.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, the ending left me feeling a little hollow. Everything that happened after Mae's injury just felt weird and wrong somehow. It actually gave me palpable anxiety - the disorientation, Mae drifting in and out of consciousness, the powerlessness you feel when you can't even run or jump. The ominous darkness, the tiredness and the headaches, and Mae's story about the day when she 'broke' and everything became just shapes and pixels - it really hit home for me, in a way that I can appreciate but also in a way that made me feel kind of really uncomfortable? It was effective but it made me *feel* a way that wasn't fun.

I feel like I would have been happier if the whole ghost thing had ended in a Scooby-Doo sort of way where the culprits were just some crooks and Mae's superstitiousness/anxiety had gotten the better of her. The fact that, in the end, there really was some sort of horrible miner cult deep underground who killed Casey and three dozen other people and whose dark god may actually exist and still be planning to destroy Possum Springs and the whole rest of the world...man, I don't like it! I respect it but my ideal ending would have been a little more Animal Crossing and a little less existential horror.

Still, the rest of the game was super rad and I know there's a bunch of stuff I didn't see. I hung out with Bea every chance I got so I never got to spend much time with Gregg, and I'm sure there are some scenes with Germ that I missed out on. But, honestly, I think I might play up to the endgame and then leave it there. That whole sequence got under my skin in a real weird way.

Retromancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I restarted last night because I wanted to play Longest Night and Lost Constellation. I strongly suggest playing those first.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By glots

@moregrammarplz:

The ending (and some parts towards it) hit me in some ways as well, like mentioned in my previous post, but I think I feel better about it after I've had a few days to think it through. It's still kinda grizzly, but I'm okay with that. I (and several others) actually expected something almost as sinister to be revealed by the end of Firewatch, but that never happened, so maybe I'm just glad this game did it! Though I'll say that a kind of bad ending having to do with elder gods was a bit easier to swallow, especially if the alternative would've been just Mae going crazy and making up most of the events in her head, then ending up in a mental hospital or something like that. That would've very much ruined my day/week/month/year.

Any thoughts on the Janitor guy? Just part of her imagination? Though I guess he did talk to Mae's parents when she was passed out, but that could've just been part of her head being a mess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots:

I thought they were hinting at the Janitor being God, the good one that is. At least I feel like that's sort of an old trope that there is the person who appears to be a "simpleton" but who for mysterious reasons seems to know everything going on and has all the answers, but nobody knows anything about him/her.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I wish that there was better signaling about which hang-out sessions end the day and which don't.

I missed out on a couple of scenes with Germ and the mouse girl who hangs out on the rooftop because I figured hanging out with them would lock me out of hanging out with Bea or Gregg, the way that hanging out with Bea locks you out of hanging out with Gregg.

It's no huge deal since I plan on replaying the game eventually but it kinda sucks.

This, along with working out which conversations are "This is your only chance" and which are "You can come back later", is actually my biggest problem with the game. You're right that it's not a huge deal, but for such a good game it's probably the closest thing to a huge deal, (aside from dying in Demontower because you get hit once, but actually it was 4 times.)

The most egregious example for me was late-ish in the game where your mother asks you to join her and you get reply options that are something like "Yes" and "hmmm not sure". If you answer in the negative this option is gone forever and you're never asked again.

The same day you're asked by Bea if you want to join her and you can reply something like "yes" or "No, definitely not". After picking "definitely not", you can talk to her again and are asked the exact same thing.