One of my favorite games of all time.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Drekly

Holy shit. I need to tell people about this game.

That's how I feel when I think about Night in the Woods, a game that has completely gripped me and refuses to let go.

Without hyperbole, this may be one of my favorite games of all time. Now don't get me wrong, it isn't perfect, but boy am I completely enamored by the world and characters within.

I want to gush about my favorite parts but I think they're best experienced on your own. The game goes places, like really dark places, sometimes completely out of the blue. The character development is intense, and without much effort on the game's part you find yourself genuinely caring about Mae (the main character) and her friends.

I think this game will resonate with people, especially those in their 20's. There's no shortage of relatable situations to be found here. The writing and the overall humor throughout is very dry and irreverent. At some points (very rarely) it felt a little forced, and the characters feel less real and more like they're on an episode of Always Sunny, but the jokes stay pretty fresh until the end.

The only other negative I can think of is the dream-sequence sections that, although important to the plot in general, fall flat in terms of game play. They outstay their welcome just a little too often and if anything that is a testament to how awesome the story is.

Please if you want an adventure with some of the best characters I've seen in years, give Night in the Woods a chance. It's 20 bucks right now on PSN and probably cheaper on Steam.

I would love to talk about it, so please let me know how it goes for you!

PS. HOLY CRAP THE MUSIC IS AMAZING TOO!

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I was getting a lot of Life is Strange/Oxenfree/Emily is away vibes from the ql, and my feelings about those games were very similar to what you're describing here. Makes me kinda really wanna play it and not play it at all because I'm afraid it might take another sizeable emotional investment.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By alphasquid

@drekly: I don't know if this is the place to discuss spoilers but how did you feel about the ending? I liked it (although I think they could've taken some more time ramping up to it) but I know some people weren't as happy with it.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This is shaping up to be the same with me, honestly. I play games in a rather staggered, sometimes slow sometimes fast kind of way, so I don't know when I'll finish it. Considering the way I feel about it currently, it's hard to believe I'll feel anything other than love for it. Probably gonna go back and do all the "other choices on another playthrough, too.

As for the ending, I had heard similar things from people, but I think that as long as it doesn't compromise the great characters and their development, I'll be okay with it.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphasquid:

I'm almost at the end I feel. Things are going in a different direction than I would have preferred (less about the main characters and a little more spooky).

Still enjoying it thoroughly though. I don't think a less strong ending is going to change my overall opinion of the game.

CabooseMSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CabooseMSG

Yea this is my favorite game since Oxenfree, easily. I think my love of those two games say a lot of my predisposition coming in. But MAN was I not expecting this game to blow me away like it did. I cried numerous times. I literally beat it in two days, spent 11 hours with it.

I would've gladly paid twice as much for this game. My only complaint is that its over and I will never hear "Die Anywhere Else" for the first time ever again.

chilibubba26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished it. Great game. I love dark humor and this game is filled with just that. I really appreciate how something hilarious can happen in one moment, but then can get REAL real quick. I constantly thought while playing how I felt I was doing the developers a disservice for only paying them $20 for this, because it is worth much more. The pacing wasn't great at times and I was not a fan of some aspects of the ending, but overall, I loved this game. Going through the journal reminds you of how many great moments there are. And there are so many good characters.

PolyesterKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drekly: I really love it so far too, just started Act 3 I think? It's got that particular mood that just draws you in without being to forceful I think. It's funny that you mentioned Always Sunny because there's a couple situations in the game that remind me of a specific instance from that show.

The "parking lot trash" scenes where Mae and Gregg are just being lovable shitheels and breaking stuff and or causing a general ruckus really reminds me of the scenes of Charlie and Mac as kids throwing rocks at trains and stuff (in the Christmas episode I think it is). Totally endearing.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@polyesterkyle:

That's totally what I thought too! Those scenes are great.

The ending is pretty strange, the cult under ground was just weird and if it was a metaphor, it went completely over my head. I think it's a little abrupt, or that could just be me being unhappy the game ever had to end. I sincerely hope they make a sequel, these characters are way too good!

magicflounder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely love this game as well! It didn't exactly come out of nowhere, I follow one of the devs on twitter, but I didn't expect to absolutely adore this game. Just about every character is fleshed out so well and realistically, even ones who aren't "important" to the plot like Lori.

The ending fell a little flat for me, but everything else in that game (AKA the 8+ hours before the end) is so strong that I can easily overlook it.

I think it says something about the quality of the writing and characters (or maybe its just me being a weirdo) that I felt a little bad for ignoring all the other townsfolk to see scenes I missed for a second playthrough.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Based

I feel almost EXACTLY the same way. The game is wonderful and I can't praise it enough.

Drekly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it says something about the quality of the writing and characters (or maybe its just me being a weirdo) that I felt a little bad for ignoring all the other townsfolk to see scenes I missed for a second playthrough.

Oh my god I felt the same way playing a 2nd time! I found myself looking at the stars a few times again though. BIG SNAKKKEEE!!!