Which "mini" system would you prefer to see next out of Nintendo?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Which "mini" system would you prefer to see next out of Nintendo? (267 votes)

mini N64 23%
mini Game Boy (Color included, Pocket size, backlit) 11%
mini Game Boy Advance (I feel like they'd go with the original design but this is the SP option also, backlit like SP) 19%
mini SNES is coming right? I'm good. 9%
Please focus on the Switch 30%
Results 7%

I didn't include Gamecube 'cause I really don't think it'd happen anytime soon, if ever.

You'll have to make an educated guess as to what games could and would be included in these systems.

I selfishly would really like a GBA mini 'cause I never owned that system.

• 
Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Monkeyman04

Virtual Boy. But with more batteries needed to power it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Gamecube, it makes a big fuss, though!

I picked focus on the Switch. I really don't like these limited edition impossible to get discrete hardware plastic tat systems.

I think Gamecube is trivially easy in terms of hardware power and storage so I don't know why it wouldn't "ever" happen. Its discs were like 1 GB so for 21 games you'd only need a 32 GB flash chip, which they give away in cereal boxes at this point.

Gameboy Advance Classic makes the most sense if I HAD to choose. Something a little bigger than the GB Micro that you could just throw in your pocket and bring with you.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Virtual Boy.

Yeah dude. VR is all the rage right now after all.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Boy. But with more batteries needed to power it.

They COULD include the full library. That's appealing.

I'd actually buy this for $100, but I'm a very sick individual.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I would pick something I can't just download a free emulator for.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mini gamecube

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I honestly think they should stop at the snes or maybe do a gameboy classic. The idea of a N64 classic is silly to me, the graphics havent aged well (worse than the nes and snes) and a lot of the games you would want would be difficult to obtain due to licenses they don't own.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If they can do the licenses I would love to see an N64 classic. But then again almost every game that I would want on it has seen a rerelease which largely improves the base game

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just focus on the damn Switch and get the Virtual Console working for it already, and god knows that also needs some work compared to everything else.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Wouldn't the GBA Mini just be a GBA Micro? Those things were fucking tiny. I'd like to have one just for novelty reasons, but I don't really see myself playing it too often. However, I would definitely buy a Game Boy Advance SP re-release that comes pre-loaded with a bunch of good games and has a slot for new GBA games. Would be even better if you could use the GBA game slot to dump your own games into internal storage but that ain't gonna happen.

At the end of the day, I really like the idea of these mini consoles but I'm leaning more and more towards just building a RetroPi and plugging that up to my TV.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Gamecube

Boniti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gamecube. Voted for focus on the Switch since Gamecube isn't an option

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By liquiddragon

The reason Gamecube isn't an option is because it's just never going to happen. People would pay real money if Nintendo remastered some of the amazing GC titles and sold it on the Switch like they did with WInd Waker and Twilight on the Wii U. Why would Nintendo go out of their way to sell you a mini GC with 10-20 games at a reasonably price when people still yearn for remastered classics of that era? Not only that, GC sold less than the OG Xbox and regardless of however many great games live on it, very few people, especially mainstream people, consider that a classic system.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not only that, GC sold less than the OG Xbox and regardless of however many great games live on it, very few people, especially mainstream people, consider that a classic system.

Here are some counter facts (no matter how you look at it you'll always know it's true) about the Gamecube:

1) It makes a big fuss.

2) Nintendo bless us.

3) Its hardware easily surpass the rest.

4) When it comes to games we'll always get the best.

I wouldn't be so confident they won't do GC. The appetite for remastered (or re-made in the case of Windwaker) games is limited to a few specific titles. Metroid Prime, Zelda, maybe Pikmin. They could easily fill a GC classic with other games, and even if they put the original versions of some of these games on it it's not clear how much that would cannibalize remastered sales. Plenty of people will buy a remastered game even if they can get the original version cheaper, and you sell the remasters before you announce the GC Classic. Just putting out a Smash Melee machine probably sells 500,000 easy. It also didn't sell THAT many fewer than the N64, so I think there's a good shot. Maybe not in the next year or so, but relatively soon.

There are also a fair number of people who played Gamecube games on the Wii, so you can tap that market too.

It's time to open up your heart to let the light shine through.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A "mini" GBA on a Tv could be a pretty sweet deal.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Just put all of this stuff on the virtual console on Switch!

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#18  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I don't feel like I'm in the target audience for these systems, so I have a hard time picking any of it. I have a fondness for just about every Nintendo system, but with few exceptions (pretty much the Game Boy?) my favorite games are extremely unlikely to make it to any of these rereleases, and I'm not all that interested in Nintendo's first party output barring a few Zelda titles. Even a system with a small library like the N64 is unlikely to get stuff like Forsaken, Doom, Quake 2 and Hexen included in a Mini console.

I'd be way into the SNES Classic if it actually included something like ActRaiser, Dune II, SimCity, Megalomania or any other strategy games of that era, or for that matter a single flight simulator or Desert Strike-like (be it an official Strike series game or one of the many clones, like A-10 Desert Fighter). It doesn't have anything like that, and I have little reverence for the listed games.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either commit to VC on the Switch or make a mini that does NES/SNES/N64/GBC/GBA.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Nintendo puts out another box that plays Melee nobody would be able to buy it since the pro players would buy up every one of them like they do with the Gamecube game.

Isn't not being available on store shelves kind of the hallmark of the Nintendo Classic series?

Also, why do the pro players buy all the copies of Melee? To have backups, or for some more sinister purpose?

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By monetarydread

I want to see Nintendo cycle their systems so my vote is for a better NES mini.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about the opposite? A Giant Game Boy!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how about a giant nintendo licensed ps2 slim

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't vote. I still own my N64 along with any games I'd want to play on a mini N64 so the urge to have one isn't there yet. However, my vote would go towards a mini GameCube. Never owned one so having one with a collection of the better games would be enticing to me.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pdxsonic said:

How about the opposite? A Giant Game Boy!

You didn't pick yours up when they were available?

No Caption Provided

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Color TV-Game Mini.

So cute you could just shit.
So cute you could just shit.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Boy.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Corwag

An original size Gameboy with games up until the dual screen era. Just jam pack it with games and a rechargeable battery obviously. Oh and a netflix app, (not really). Also give it one of those 3DS 3-d on/off sliders so they can include virtual boy games as well (I'd be really happy to play Telero Boxer again)

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mini Switch.

warpr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By warpr

I think next year they need to make the NES mini available again for everyone who missed it the first time.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mini-DS would be cute. There are a bunch of DS games I never finished, but returning to them now is tough. Oddly, they exist in a strange middle-ground between iconic limited graphics and modern satisfactory graphics that just feels strange to visit now (sort of like playing 240p YouTube videos). A smaller form-factor and screen-size could actually make it easier to return to for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A mini Nintendo Sega Master System would be dope.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original brick sized Gameboy was the first "console" I ever owned and to took two years saving to get. When it finally died in 2004, it was a very sad day, so I'd like a new Gameboy. Maybe slightly thinner, with a backlight and doesn't require 4 AA batteries, but with the same shades of green screen and an annoying red light that shines in your eyes when the battery needs charging.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By matatat

Mini GameCube. Make it even smaller than before.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be good when I get my hands on the snes mini.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

A pre-loaded GBA with the top titles would be amazing. I don't think they could produce it as cheap because of the addition of a screen and battery, but I would buy ten.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A pre-loaded GBA with the top titles would be amazing. I don't think they could produce it as cheap because of the addition of a screen and battery, but I would buy ten.

They can make a 2DS for $80. A GBA classic would be cheaper to make since it needs less processing power, no networking stuff, no touch screen etc...

Admittedly there is also the cost of licensing the software and you can't make up the hardware cost on future software purchases, but still, if the 2DS is economical at $80 you could make a GBA classic profitable at the same price or a bit more.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could do without a Nintendo 64 classic. There simply aren't enough games, and Rare games would more than likely have to go missing.

What I would like to see is a sequel to the SNES Classic, with more games.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

switch░mini (し遠も)

deltamind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Switch is great to be honest but I'd really like to see Virtual Boy since VR is pretty much in trend these days.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mini power glove.... I'll see myself out...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Virtual Boy. The market's never been hotter.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original Game Boy has so many gems. I'd love to have a tiny replica with a slew of their hits on it. I'd make my own via 3D printing something and then using a raspberry pi, but I love supporting Nintendo.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

N64, don't care about the switch at all and the N64 is the childhood nostalgia console for me.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd like to see a mini N64. I didn't play many titles from that console, so getting a chance to experience some of that stuff in a cool package would be nice.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think Nintendo should "re-issue" a slimmer GameBoy (replica) that is the same size, 148 mm x 90 mm but make it slimmer and just have 20 games on it. Have the ability to play teh game in two mode orgianl reultion and "Max Res" which would be about 1440 x 1300 - chunky vs smooth.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: Knowing Nintendo it would be released without a backlight. Monkeyking1969? More like Monkey Paw 1969.

And if you think Nintendo would never release a Game Boy mini without a backlight remember the Sega Game Gear Micro.

Yeah it's Sega and not Nintendo, but let's not pretend that Nintendo is above it.