Is it worth getting a 3DS as a 30-something PC Gamer? What are the essentials games for the 3DS?

kodamun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A little bit of background for this question: Nowadays, my game purchasing is much more limited by the lack of time to play them than a lack of money to buy them. I haven't used a handheld much since I beat Chrono Trigger DS back 6-ish years ago. I have no real need of one, as I don't commute to work and wouldn't really feel comfortable playing on one at lunch.

So ultimately I'm debating on asking for one as a gift from my wife for my upcoming birthday. My big issue is I haven't really kept up with all that has come out on the 3DS since its launch, and I know that based on the sales numbers the days of the 3DS may be numbered.

I'd like to know if there are enough games out there to really warrant a purchase that could be considered more fleshed out than most mobile fare. I'm not looking for the "Short Time Games" - I'm in it for games more like what you'd get on a console. In fact, the only two games I know I'd be interested in is the older Fire Emblem, and the Mario 3D World that came out close to system launch.

So, for someone short on time and looking for a more core experience - is there much out there to make a purchase this late in the game worth it? And what are the best examples of games that go beyond the short-burst style games?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A link between worlds are monster hunter games are pretty meaty experiences i think (that first come to mind, if youre into them).

Theres a number of cool games on there that are vreat to experience if you don't mind staring at a tiny screen. I guess if you don't commute it's cool to play when you're watching tv or something else that doesnt require 100% attention.

But if you don't feel the need to and prefer pc gaming don't try to force/rationalize yourself into thinking you need one, if you honestly think you won't use it much if at all.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I moved this to the 3DS forum. I suggest spending some time reading similar topics, because there are a LOT of them. Such as, "Should I buy a 3DS?" or "I just bought a 3DS, which games should I get?"

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It might be a little outside your wheelhouse, but Luigi's Mansion 2 is a fantastic game.

kodamun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Good point, I'm not used to these forums. Thanks for moving it.