Nintendo Reveals "New" 3DS With Updated CPU

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Figures this would happen. I remember ages ago I begged my parents for a Gameboy Color every year for Christmas (I was around 10-12) Well finally one year they got one for me and my brother. A few months later, GBA is released. I finally saved up enough cash to buy a 3DS in December and now...this.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@xanadu said:

Figures this would happen. I remember ages ago I begged my parents for a Gameboy Color every year for Christmas (I was around 10-12) Well finally one year they got one for me and my brother. A few months later, GBA is released. I finally saved up enough cash to buy a 3DS in December and now...this.

I bought one a week ago so you can imagine how that feels.

I am looking forward to parents being confused about this "so my son have a 3DS can he play this game?" "is it a new 3DS?" "It was bought new yes, not used" "No I mean is it the new 3DS?" "Well it is about 6 months old" "I am not talking about age, is it NEW!?" "What are you talking about? I guess I'll just buy a Vita"

Ostratego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

As if the frankenstick did not fragment the 3DS enough.

friendlypossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@friendlypossum: I thought Xenoblade was really good, but man, it's an expensive game to play. Spend the big bucks on a copy for the Wii, or spend the bigger bucks to play it on a New 3DS.

I hear you....but.....I still think Im going to do it. I just foresee some really great BIG games for this system.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oldenglishc said:

@friendlypossum: I thought Xenoblade was really good, but man, it's an expensive game to play. Spend the big bucks on a copy for the Wii, or spend the bigger bucks to play it on a New 3DS.

I hear you....but.....I still think Im going to do it. I just foresee some really great BIG games for this system.

No More Heroes 1 and 2 port. Do it Suda.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Well I got one at launch and I've been thinking about getting a new one, glad I waited. If they released a bundle with the new pokemon games that was also red or blue I'd buy it in a second.

Though I doubt it'll be out here by then -- a man can dream

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why don't they stick to the 'super' adjective? "Super 3DS" sounds like something a parent would buy for their kid immediately.

"My kid has to have the 'super' version!" or something like that. Bravo, Nintendo, for missing that opportunity. Are you even trying anymore?

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really wish they would differentiate their products better for the people who aren't as informed as people who visit gaming sites and follow news...

Either way though... I'm definitely getting it.

tineaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't they stick to the 'super' adjective? "Super 3DS" sounds like something a parent would buy for their kid immediately.

"My kid has to have the 'super' version!" or something like that. Bravo, Nintendo, for missing that opportunity. Are you even trying anymore?

"Super" would do a whole lot more to differentiate it than "new". "New" is just as time sensitive as it feels. It's not a good label to put in the name of your product.

pavakah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

At least Nintendo has a handheld they seem to care about.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

more market place confusion and fragmentation.... Nintendo.. why??

iotanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#363  Edited By iotanon

@tineaus said:

@yoshisaur said:

"Super" would do a whole lot more to differentiate it than "new". "New" is just as time sensitive as it feels. It's not a good label to put in the name of your product.

All of this. They came up with the most perfect, video-gamey way to name the next console since "_____ 2", and now they never use it.

I just imagined all the console manufacturers as children trying to count from 1.

Sony: 1...2...3...4...

Nintendo: Um...1...1a...New 1a...

Microsoft: 1! 360!! Uhh...1!!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Christmas 2014 -- Typical mum -- I bought my kids a 3DS! They'll love it.

Mid-2015 -- I'll buy buy them some Amiibos or some shit, that'll keep them quiet. Fuck what they work only on a New 3DS?

Christmas 2015 -- Fuck the big games only work on the fucking "NEW" 3DS?! This is worse than the time I bought them a fucking Wii game that needed that special Wii U controller but I couldn't buy just the controller. I told the dickhead at the store I had a Wii!!

Mid-2016 -- Fucking hell the new Pokemon game only works on the NEW 3DS!?! Well fuck me. Stupid Nintendo... here kids have an iPad. It has games, they're cheap as shit and you can do more than games with it. I don't care if weekend daddy said you can stay up past 8pm. Did he tell you about how his whore of a girlfriend hates you? I'm sorry, mummy's been drinking.

Mid-2036 -- I can't believe I have to visit my moron son in jail. This is all Nintendo's fault.

Branding is important. I don't know why Nintendo suck so much at it.

technoKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only good thing about this is the SNES controller colours.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm all over this, didn't get an XL because it wasn't really an upgrade, didnt by a 2ds because...why the hell would? This is the upgrade i was waiting for, like the GBC to the original GB, no more messing around with that stupid circle pad pro add on when playing Monster Hunter ^_^

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if it will be region free. 180 bucks is pretty cheap I would consider importing that.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having read that there will be games for the new 3DS that won't run on the old 3DS has made me realize that Nintendo learned absolutely nothing from the WiiU and how confusing people found it. This is even a step worse. The game box will still say 3DS but it won't work on all 3DS devices? Insane.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@shaanyboi: Yes! DSi as well, though DSi only had like 3 retail games. GBC had several.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought a 3DS XL a couple weeks ago so I'm a little annoyed. Nintendo should have just made this thing into a brand new handheld, not a slight upgrade. The "better 3D" has me a little intrigued though as the 3D on the XL is awful; I just leave it off. I'll probably end up selling my old 3DS a month or two before the new one comes out and then upgrading.

mathkor89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@superfriend: white is only offered in japan, sigh; going to either have to get the smash bros bundle since it has some white in it or wait for another limited bundle

nelson1tom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... are all new games going to need the NEW 3ds? Will it get a NEW set of mario cart, ect? I don't understand. What the fuck Nintendo? Its like they're TRYING to confuse us. At this point I can't even explain it to other people.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By Luck702

What happens when something newer than the New 3DS comes out? Think further than 12 seconds into the future Nintendo.

Chicken008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nelson1tom: The games exclusive to the New Nintendo 3DS will likely have the new logo on the box. Same thing happened with Gameboy Color or DSi exclusive games.
I doubt they would make a Mario Kart game that's exclusive to it. I think a new Pokemon RPG is more likely.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@luck702 said:

What happens when something newer than the New 3DS comes out? Think further than 12 seconds into the future Nintendo.

Newer 3ds? That has them covered for at least 3 more years!

Fawkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peritus said:

@luck702 said:

What'll they do after "Newest 3DS"?

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo has learned nothing from the Wii-U and the branding problems the company faces in the West. It's hard enough for me to swallow that my Pikachu 3DSXL (with camera nipples) is going to be outdated by another system less than 1 year after it came out, but to then call it 'New 3DS' and some games will only work with 'New 3DS'... Yeah, I'm going to have parents cursing me out next year at my store, I just know it. They really need to figure their shit out, because all of those new people that were brought into gaming with the Wii and the 3DS are going to either give up on Nintendo or give up on gaming entirely out of frustration. If you're going to change system specs, then change the name of your system. Trying to build '3DS' and 'Wii' up as evolving brands just confuses folks.

duttyfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

instead of coming with this they should have done a fourth version of the handheld with much better specs. high res screen, better gpu\cpu, and more memory.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why didn't they make the GPU up to snuff of the initial graphical projections? (Think MGS3) As well, a higher-res screen would have really sold me. Maybe the new CPU means some better/more RAM too. I want to like this, but they should have made it a bit more drastic.

Also *new 3DS is a disastrous name. Again, they should have been more liberal with the upgrades and called it the Super 3DS.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By Sessh

That second stick looks incredibly pointless. I highly doubt you can use that, to accurately control anything, especially not in conjunction with also pressing buttons.

And that there will be games that run only on this is annoying as hell.

frenchy789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fawkes said:

@peritus said:

@luck702 said:

THE 3DS

rudyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what is this a joystick for ants?

no seriously that joystick is terrible!!! They could have easily moved the face buttons down and it would have looked more like the Wii U gamepad. They shouldn't have done a iteration rather they should have just released a new handheld.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram said:

@fawkes said:

@peritus said:

@luck702 said:

THE 3DS

I think Nintendo is just trying to screw over kids whose parents have little to no understanding of console names. "wtf mom, this is the New 3DS. That's from like 3 years ago."

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I just got a 3ds like a year ago :(

But man, I might double dip for a Xenoblade Chronicles on portable machine.

Jennifyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By Jennifyre

@brightside:

http://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-2676163

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@fram said:

@fawkes said:

@peritus said:

@luck702 said:

THE 3DS

I'm holding out for that one.

Avatar image for mailordermonster
mailordermonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Capcom take over at Nintendo? Don't bother buying this "new" 3DS. The Turbo Hyper edition will probably come out in a couple of months.

Papacheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo is seriously stepping into Sega territory with the mistakes on their branding, and release of products that will ultimately split the install base.

Plus they did announce that Monster Hunter 4G along with Xenoblade will only work with New 3DS.

Imagine people who bought the 2ds even. Now we have the 3DS, 3DSXL, 2DS Wii Wii U. Seriously it's a sega move.

There are even some leaks that are "NOT VERIFIED" of Majora's Mask 3D being only playable on New 3DS. The spec increase goes along with the new 3D image quality that can now be achieved, and I think they are using it for some of the next N64 and gamecube games they are bringing to the 3DS.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plus they did announce that Monster Hunter 4G along with Xenoblade will only work with New 3DS.

I haven't heard anything about Monster Hunter 4G working only on the new one. They're offering a 4G+N3DS bundle (as well as a Smash Bros+N3DS bundle), but as far as I know it will still work on either device.

So I guess I'm asking for your source on that one?

Papacheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#392  Edited By Papacheeks

@superkenon:

Sorry i misread a newgaf post, Monster Hunter 4G will have exclusive features such as the C-stick and 60fps in 3D, and out of 3D.

It also looks to have enhanced texture quality too according to some of the people on gaf looking at pics and snippets of video.

Neogaf Thread

XenoBlade will only be playable on the New 3DS.

Also a lot of people are getting rumors that Majora's Mask 3D that supposedly is being worked on will be N3DS exclusive.

Polygon wrote a good piece on the slippery slope they are on right now.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

Is this really the time for this, Nintendo?

chimpchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard from an engineer that Nintendo was hit with a lawsuit regarding the 3D tech in the US. They fought and lost, so made the 2DS and New 3DS to avoid paying for use of the patented tech. I haven't even googled this, but if it's true that'd explain a lot.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...this is not a good thing. I read the article, and I'm still confused. So...this is a new console. Sort of. I assume the 3ds carts are the same form factor. Yet, newer games for the 3ds NEW, won't work on the 3ds. Mind is blown...

I was at Target this weekend with my son, and they have all of the Wii, and WiiU games all mixed together on their shelves. I can only imagine how many WiiU games are being purchased for people who only have a Wii. It borders on deception. As a company, this is the last thing you want to do. It burns people...for good, to the point where they don't want to buy your product anymore.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

i wonder if the smash bros will use the c stick?

Papacheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j:

It does, they confirmed that for the the new 3DS if you buy smash bros in Japan. But as is right now you can buy a accessory add on for your current 3DS , because new 3DS wont happen for US till spring.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally a new 3DS design! I never wanted an XL. I guess, I'll still be playing the waiting game.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@tineaus said:

@yoshisaur said:

It's like New Coke all over again.