THE JRPG to get on the Switch

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll THE JRPG to get on the Switch (190 votes)

Octopath Traveler 21%
Pokemon Let's Go 5%
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (with or without Torna - The Gold Country) 16%
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna - The Golden Country (Standalone) 1%
Ys VIII 4%
One of the "Classic" Re-releases (FF7, FFX, Vesperia, etc.) 9%
Others (I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, etc.) 1%
Wait for one of the up-coming releases. 6%
Result 37%

Switch seems like the perfect JRPG platform yet I still have not picked up one of them Japanese role-playing games on the system. Which one did y'all have the best time with?

Note that I've basically have play all the FF games that's been released and to be released except for World of FF.

• 
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Question - how deep into Bananasville are you willing to go? Because Disgaea 5 is on the Switch, and it's the perfect portable RPG. The story mode doesn't take long and the post-game is practically endless. That said, FFX is definitely one of the best RPGs ever made and still holds up very well, so that one maybe gets my vote.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

@sparky_buzzsaw: I played through VC4 last year, FE: PoR earlier in the year, and I'm actually playing Mario + Rabbids right now so I don't think I'm looking for another tactics game. I'm definitely interested in dipping my toes into Disgaea at some point but not atm. I kinda see this subgenre as a separate thing. I'm really just asking about standard JRPGs.

Also, l mentioned up top but I've played pretty much all the FF games coming to the Switch. I've played FFX 3 times and it's one of my all time favs. Sooo...probably will pass on it...for now...

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@liquiddragon: Ah. I saw FFX as a choice and assumed it was... er... a choice. Anyways, uh, pick something you haven't played, I guess? Vesperia was also very good. Can't speak much to the rest of them.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: well, I am interested in what ppl's picks are. If a lot of ppl think 15-20 year old games are the ones to get, that kinda speaks volumes about what they think about the more recent offers.

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm waiting for Dragon Quest XI Definitive S Edition. Other than that, I'd like to play Tales of Vesperia since I missed out on that first time around.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Octopath Traveler, easily. Either that or wait for Persona 5 or Dragon Quest XI.

RedPhoenix122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ys is an action RPG, not a turn based. It's also filled with all sorts of weird systems that feel half implemented. That said, I had a real good time with it and can recommend it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

+1 For Disgaea5 Fill the Rpg shaped hole with penguins Dood!

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gerrid

Xenoblade 2 is spectacular. Octopath and Vesperia are both good but didn't hold my attention in the same way.

But Final Fantasy 12 is just about to come out ...

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Octopath was disappointing for me

I'm waiting for Dragon Quest XI on the Switch as long as it runs half decently

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pokemon is the one I'm most excited to get to.

Superharman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 20

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a personal favourite JRPG of mine but it takes a lot of investment, especially in learning the combat system. For me though, it was extremely rewarding and the story gets really good.

I enjoyed Octopath quite a bit but it didn't really stick.

Of course, for me personally Dragon Quest XI is basically the ultimate classic JRPG. I think it's fantastic and if the Switch port is good, then it's well worth the investment.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I would really recommend giving Ys VIII a shot. That was one of my favorite games I played in 2017 when it was initially released and it is a fantastic title that was overlooked by a lot of people. The game was originally a Vita game and was made by a fairly small developer so the production values can't compare to a lot of the other games on this list but I'd say it is one the best games you can get on your Switch period. And don't worry about the number at the end of the title, the Ys games are all pretty much self-contained stories for the most part. Again, I'd really recommend giving it a shot especially if you like action RPGs. The soundtrack is also really amazing:

Loading Video...

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

SMT V

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One day they will rerelease Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on Switch... One day...