How much side content?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

How much would you recommend doing? Beat 4 bosses thus far and have been doing all side missions. Just wondering if this is a good idea? Will I become overleveld? Will it burn me out? How much did you do?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking for myself i ended up burning myself out, want to go back to it one day and may get the pc version if it goes onsale with all the dlc.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did all the sidequests and was actually quite underleveled as far as the mission recommendations went, but it really wasn't an issue. It felt like the game got easier over time., so don't take the level requirements on missions as being accurate.

I'd say the big issue is burn out. The main missions already have a severe lack of variety, so going through all the side missions will just make you bored with everything faster. I'd say pick and choose ones that are just bossfights (like Warrior of the West) and do those. Then do side missions only if you start to feel underleveled, or if a specific side mission's reward is a weapon that you want/need.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@frodobaggins: I remember doing all side content missions except for one because at that early point I did not know, really, how to fight. Later I concentrated on magic and fighting technique, but learned a bit of ninja. I wish I had done the side missions after the main ending, some post hinted I might of missed out on something (?) But I was then finally tired of NIOH.

The side missions were a good way of obtaining necessary articles and such, besides 'skill points' (I don't remember how that part worked.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@frodobaggins: I think if you clear out every area of the side stuff before you go on and do the main story missions it's easy to burn yourself out unless you're really immune to grind in games or thats just your thing. I would clear out every new area up until about 3/4 through the game at which point I started to beeline that stuff. Nioh is pretty damn long, even if you do only engage with the side content occasionally.

There is also the matter of what type of player you are. Some people like the challenge and some people like the power fantasy. Personally I enjoyed going into areas being slightly overleveled so that it was still a challenge but I wasn't getting one-shot killed by bigger baddies. For me feeling slightly more powerful than my adversaries is always a positive rush and I think the overwhelming odds you face balances that power trip out - or at least thats how I like to justify it in my head. If you're the type of person that wants a real challenge without diluting anything, you know like never summon anyone in a Souls game, or never use "over powered" item sets etc, then doing less side content is probably better as it will keep you neatly below the level range for most stuff and as such will present you with a bigger challenge.

Me? I have no shame so for half the game I used the sloth amulet on bosses because hey, it's in the game so why not. When you get to NG+ things get a lot more vicious.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I did everything until the end of the game where the "additional content" opens up. I think it took me about 100-105 hours to platinum and do everything until the end of the game (basically opens up a remixed, and harder, version of everything).

Kusigarama maxed out really, really, really made light work of some difficult situations near the end of the game. Love this game so much, in my top 10 for 2017.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The leveling curve is a little funky, I did everything as soon as it came up, and I was overleveled for most of the game, but towards the end I somehow fell back down to being underleveled. It's like it just ramps up stats really harshly in the late game. This had the odd side effect where I never really bothered checking my gear properly until the game basically told me my equipment is shit and I do no damage anymore lol. Turns out set bonuses are really important and you should always, always keep them over stat boosts unless the stat boost is really big.

But yeah it depends on what you want from the game honestly. The side stuff is kind of a grind, it's there to have more content to fight through. Which is exactly what I wanted, and what a lot of people want from the game. But if you just want to see unique bosses and levels and then stop playing at the end boss, then you can just stick to the main path and a handful of unique side missions and get the best content. If you feel weak towards the end of the game the side stuff will still be there to level up or find gear even if you ignore it for most of the game.