Nioh = Soulsborne 6?

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By NeverGameOver

Anyone picking this up? I just preordered as I've been convinced to give it a shot based on all the positive prerelease coverage.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

I feel like this thread is basically the same. But yes, I am going to get it. I'm pretty excited for it because I haven't read anything on the game and have just been told it's basically my type of game.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

Does it have the dense, interconnected, layered level design of the Souls games?

I'll wait and see if there's a PC version. I might get a PS4 in a few years.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played the first demo and thought this game was awful.

Instantly fell off my radar and I haven't thought about it since.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isturbo1984: Meme genre's? PS2 graphics? It's hard to take you seriously.

@ezekiel There might be a PC version at some point, but I kind of doubt it. If there will be, I really don't think it will be any time soon. But who knows of course.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I barely like dark souls so hearing it's like dark souls but harder with repetitive environments and replaying missions over and over to grind levels makes me wanna pass.

It sounds like people who are really into dark souls will be really into this. I think Dan Tack from game informer said it was like Dark Souls meets Destiny's quest system meets Diablo's loot system. No idea how accurate that is though

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@mems1224: That description actually sounds kind of spot on, with all the positive and negative connotations it carries with it.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

I barely like dark souls so hearing it's like dark souls but harder with repetitive environments and replaying missions over and over to grind levels makes me wanna pass.

It sounds like people who are really into dark souls will be really into this. I think Dan Tack from game informer said it was like Dark Souls meets Destiny's quest system meets Diablo's loot system. No idea how accurate that is though

That sounds even more perfect to me than I thought. But I'm also aware my Souls/Destiny love is probably not the most common. But common enough to warrant more of these games being developed apparently. I kind of wonder how those game-idea-financial-prospect-spreadsheets look like for these types of games.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If i had a ps4 pro i would check it out

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Do you have a regular PS4? after reading/watching the DigitalFoundry breakdown, it still runs great on the base machine.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:

I feel like this thread is basically the same. But yes, I am going to get it. I'm pretty excited for it because I haven't read anything on the game and have just been told it's basically my type of game.

Ain't it fantastic when this can happen? It's more an uncommon thing nowadays with so much coverage, but the times I can go into a game without knowing anything about it except it's my style is fantastic. I knew nothing about Yakuza 0 and after the QL was sold and didn't touch any other content, and same thing is happening for Horizon. Makes me excited to know there can be surprises, versus the people that want to pretty much know an entire game the moment it's out.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Do you have a regular PS4? after reading/watching the DigitalFoundry breakdown, it still runs great on the base machine.

I do but 720p doesn't scale very well on my tv, maybe i will get it discounted down the road.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takayamasama: Indeed. I am doing that more and more and I like it a whole lot. The people who say spoilers shouldn't be a big deal can't be more wrong. Even not knowing how a game's area's look, which isn't a real spoiler, adds so much to the discovery of a game.

I have somehow managed to stay mostly black on Andromeda even, which is my highest anticipated game this year. Going in blind into that is going to be fantastic.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yup, got it preordered. This is one of the rare occasions I wasn't really sure what to make of a game, but after checking out the reviews, this seems like something I would really enjoy.

The structure of the world is, oddly enough, one of the biggest selling points for me because that was one of my favorite parts about Demons Souls. I wouldn't say I hate a large, interconnected world like the other Souls games, especially considering Bloodborne is my favorite, but if I had a choice, I'd go with separate levels nine times out of ten. I just find it less stressful because it's more manageable for me personally.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By NeverGameOver

@babychoochoo: Yeah I've always found the interconnectedness overrated. Demon's souls is my favorite souls game, and not because I played it first (I actually played it after ds1, 2 and bloodborne)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

@nevergameover: yeah, I don't think it offers much. In a lot of ways I prefer the Demons Souls formula with a hub world. I don't play Souls games for the interconnectedness, and in some ways it's kind of a pain to get around.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Humanity

@horseman6: very much so actually. The "connected world" aspect of the Dark series is not only overrated (it's not THAT amazing) but I actually found it to be a huge pain and welcomed with open arms the ability to teleport between bonfires they introduced in every subsequent game after Dark Souls 1. Bloodborne took a weird half step back, forcing you to warp to the hunters dream in order to warp elsewhere and it was worse off for it - especially since that game had rooouuugh loading times.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I honestly don't get the souls like comparisons for this game. I played the Beta and this game was pure trash.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pyrodactyl
@sterling said:

I honestly don't get the souls like comparisons for this game. I played the Beta and this game was pure trash.

''Pure trash'' with a metacritic of 87 and 9/10 reviews from all big gaming sites. For comparison in the same genre, this is pure trash: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/lords-of-the-fallen

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ivdamke

@sterling: Mate I can't hold all that hyperbole, you're gonna have to pick up some of the slack instead of just dumping it all over the thread.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@isturbo1984: What makes it different than genre's like the first person shooter (Activision,EA) , the third person shooter (Naughty Dog) , the isometric loot based games (Blizzard) , the isometric RTSes (Blizzard) , Sports games (EA,2K) , the 'hacker database' games (indies) , CRPG's (Obsidian, Inxile), the roguelikes (indies), open world sandbox games (Ubisoft) ?

Aren't most games iterative works that build on previous attempts and ideas? Right now i'm watching a Ghost Recon Wildlands stream and it's very similar to Far Cry gameplay-wise. But it seems to be less focused on a personal story and all missions can be played with people online. Still, it's very much like Far Cry.

AyoMistadurrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AyoMistadurrk

Personally, as someone who is pretty into the Souls games, I'm interested in the loot system and the lore/story/setting they're going with but there was just something about the actual combat that rubbed me the wrong way. The Beta and Last Chance Trial definitely felt way better than the Alpha so I haven't totally written it off yet, but it's not going to be a day one purchase for me.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@zevvion: I also know absolutely nothing about Andromeda other than it is the new Mass Effect game. It's gonna be great!

@takayamasama: I started doing media black outs for games I am for sure playing a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. I know absolutely nothing about Horizon and Mass Effect for this year and couldn't be more excited.

@isturbo1984:I'm confused. How is this type of game overused? From Software and the developers of Lords of the Fallen are the only ones that make this type of game really.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By TobbRobb

While the game shares a lot of blood with souls, it definitely doesn't play that much like one. I think going in with too many preconceptions could be bad. I think Nioh is really cool, and I liked the test periods a lot. But you most definitely need to relearn the combat pretty heavily if you only go by souls mechanics. If you think Bloodborne and Dark Souls don't play the same either (which they don't), then I can definitely tell you that Nioh feels leaps and bounds more different.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By caska

I can't be the only one who gets this game confused with Nier...right?

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zevvion

@caska While I can't see confusing the two myself, you have absolutely not been the only one to do so. Far from it. I've seen it several times on this website alone and I'm listening to Waypoint Radio for the first time today and the girl (don't know her name) on there also explains she confused it with Nier.

@colonel_pockets said:

@zevvion: I also know absolutely nothing about Andromeda other than it is the new Mass Effect game. It's gonna be great!

@takayamasama: I started doing media black outs for games I am for sure playing a couple of years ago and it is fantastic. I know absolutely nothing about Horizon and Mass Effect for this year and couldn't be more excited.

@isturbo1984:I'm confused. How is this type of game overused? From Software and the developers of Lords of the Fallen are the only ones that make this type of game really.

Is it?! Spoilers!

I have been enjoying so many more videogames and also a lot more per game since I've done this. People don't know what they are missing.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SethMode

@caska: nope. I legit thought "wow, that Platinum game is Souls-like enough to warrant a thread about it?"

Meanwhile "that Platinum game" isn't Souls-like at all.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been describing it to people as a hybrid between Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden. Makes sense considering the developer

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I decided to get it last Friday with some positive word of mouth on social media. Was scrounging to finish some games on Ps4 over the last few days to get ready for it.

ItsaCorey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always dreamed of a game that mixed Dark Souls with Diablo-style loot mechanics. From what I've read, Nioh is that game.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By LawGamer

It seems like it looks cool but I'm torn with it being a Team Ninja game. I loved the original Ninja Gaiden, but I'm at a point in my life where I don't have hours and hours to spend to "git gud" with the kind of twitchy deep combat systems they tend to put in their games.

Brainling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It's sitting pre-loaded on my PS4 Pro at home, just waiting to be unlocked. I'm a huge Souls fanatic, and having played the last beta, this scratched all the right itches (while still being different enough to be it's own thing). This will tide me over until the final Dark Souls DLC releases in March.

Matticus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadow said:

I've been describing it to people as a hybrid between Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden. Makes sense considering the developer

It's pretty much this. It also bring some of its own unique ideas to the table, which I really enjoy. I played the demos all the way through and loved them. I also really appreciate the 60fps option, since I will always take frame rate over fidelity. Cheers.