No Man's Sky OST: Space Gold

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So the band who scored the soundtrack to No Man's Sky, 65daysofstatic, released their full album for streaming on Youtube the other day. I have never heard of these guys before, but I think they did a fantastic job with the project. Atmospheric and epic, the band drives home that sense of space exploration with lushly layered post-rock, experimental electronic and noise. As a matter of fact, it reminded me of Health's soundtrack to Max Payne 3: similar in sound, but less Michael -Mann abrasiveness (and South American flavor), and more touches of sci-fi leads and drums. Like the Max Payne 3, the No Man's Sky soundtrack is mixed exceptionally well, and will shine on a high-end sound system or headphones (those mids!).

For those who listened to the OST, what did y'all think of it?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only soundtrack i'll ever need (maybe)

i'll give it a shot, i liked some of their stuff but i also take umbrage with the name "math rock" so it could go either way.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3 sweep  Moderator

Not going to listen just yet because I want to hear it for the first time when I play, but I could do with some space tunes in my life right now.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man I need to listen to this. A big part of No Man's Sky appeal is flying around space, doing whatever, while listening to this soundtrack. I don't know anything about 65daysofstatic outside the tracks in the trailers, but man is it amazing.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer

My understanding was that 65DoS was procedurally generating the soundtrack for the game? I guess they made actual tracks as well!

Anyone who enjoys these tracks should go dig into the 65DoS catalogue because its all this style.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really glad these guys are getting more attention for their work on this game. Actually, I'm not sure of how popular they were before this, but I had just assumed they weren't (like many post rock bands). Listened to a lot of The Fall of Math and One Time for All Time in high school; really liking this album, as well.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see how any of it could be artificially generated, unless small segments were. If I am wrong, I hope they release a video that shows how they accomplished that task.

@xeiphyer said:

My understanding was that 65DoS was procedurally generating the soundtrack for the game? I guess they made actual tracks as well!

Anyone who enjoys these tracks should go dig into the 65DoS catalogue because its all this style.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't see how any of it could be artificially generated, unless small segments were. If I am wrong, I hope they release a video that shows how they accomplished that task.

@xeiphyer said:

It may be similar to the GTA V soundtrack, which was released as a full score that was a little different from how the soundtrack worked in game. The retail release was mixed by DJ Shadow, whereas the game mixed together the different stems from the artists involved (Tangerine Dream, Woody Jackson and Oh No, I believe?) as the action unfolded during regular gameplay (obviously the cutscenes and scripted elements played the regular tracks).

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:
@ghost_cat said:

@xeiphyer said:

It may be similar to the GTA V soundtrack, which was released as a full score that was a little different from how the soundtrack worked in game. The retail release was mixed by DJ Shadow, whereas the game mixed together the different stems from the artists involved (Tangerine Dream, Woody Jackson and Oh No, I believe?) as the action unfolded during regular gameplay (obviously the cutscenes and scripted elements played the regular tracks).

Ooooh, well in that case yes, that is highly probable. The way I interpreted xiphyer's statement was that 65DoS produced the soundtrack entirely by procedurally-generated music algorithms and a large library of sounds.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They're capable of some amazing stuff, so I'll make sure to have a copy of this in my CD player as I explore future space.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what if it turns out it's the same track over and over and it ends after 20 minutes? #nomansskyjokes

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only soundtrack i'll ever need (maybe)

i'll give it a shot, i liked some of their stuff but i also take umbrage with the name "math rock" so it could go either way.

Who said "math rock"?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: it's the supposed genre they are (or have been) associated with.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Swap in some Rebel Galaxy OST then it would be amazing.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@kcin: it's the supposed genre they are (or have been) associated with.

math rock is pretty dope, for what it's worth. I always suggest Don Caballero to start...actually, now that I think about it, I align myself pretty narrowly with mid-late 90s math rock, which makes me a bit of an elitist in that regard.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just lump it all with post-rock. Keen to have a listen to this, having consumed all their stuff bar the Silent Running score they did.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeiphyer said:

The album has two disks, one with "songs songs" and one with the weird procedural ambiance music.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is good shit. Hard to imagine how this fits into the game because it's so cinematic.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By s-a-n-JR

@ghost_cat said:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

The videos don't really go into technical detail, but it's something.

iwanecky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iwanecky

@ripelivejam: First album was definitely math rock, but I think they evolved through post rock to more electro-ish modern music.

Their albums are solid, but they really nail it live, especially if you're familiar with records. Don't miss them if you'd ever have a chance see the concert.