No Man's Sky was leaked, does it look interesting?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I heard someone purchased a copy off of eBay and was posting a bunch of videos until Sean Muray expressed his disapointement with the game being spoiled. I think you can still find the videos on youtube. I don't want to spoil myself in case the game turns out great but I know a few people on here who don't care about spoilers so: thumbs up or thumbs down?

Is the game justifying its full price tag? Does the gameplay loop look interesting if stretched over douzens of hours?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#2 fisk0  Moderator

I didn't want to see too much of it, so I just skipped around a little in the leaked footage. Gameplay itself looks fine, but that FOV is ridiculous even by console standards. Looks like if you're playing Halo with the guns zoomed in, and Halo had a pretty awful FOV to start with. I really hope the PC version will have a FOV slider, because that PS4 version looks like it's actually hard to play with just how little peripheral vision you have.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Devil240Z

Well the video he posted made the game look really good but later he wrote a bunch of impressions/criticisms that weren't stellar.

So its kind of a toss up right now. There were some aspects to the game that didn't seem to be as advertised as well as some buggyness. But it could be a day one patch thing, who knows.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: FOV must be one of those things us console gamers don't notice. But maybe its just me. Also Ive never understood why pc people want all their games to look like skateboarding videos to begin with.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Just like with We Happy Few this will get a lot of "Not what I wanted it to be" that trumps any discussion of quality. You don't have long to wait until a wider discussion is possible.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#6 fisk0  Moderator

@devil240z: I'm not bothered by it in general, just games that go to extremes, like NMS (and Halo) seems to do.

I'm generally fine with FOV's in the upper 60's, though the sweet spot is absolutely around 90.

I'm not even sure if NMS hits 40 degrees, it just looks incredibly cramped and disorienting. That's what you should see when looking through the scope of a weapon, not when just walking around.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've been dropping more trailers recently. There is a lot of footage out for this game now if you want to see it in action.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched just enough of the leak (aka like 1 minute) to see him mess with the UI and feel comfortable that it is what I wanted.

Won't be watching or following anything else about the game cause good god that subreddit is a fucking trainwreck.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Hopefully the PC version looks nicer, because some of that texture work is a serious eyesore.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@alistercat said:

Just like with We Happy Few this will get a lot of "Not what I wanted it to be" that trumps any discussion of quality. You don't have long to wait until a wider discussion is possible.

It turns out maybe people shouldn't make a put-stick-and-a-rock-together games unless they're $15 and on Steam.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does anyone have a link to the actual videos? i watched a few minutes of one where he befriended a creature, but now i cant find that one or any other.

From what i watched its a little more like the standard survival games than i wanted, but thats not necessarily a bad thing, just have to see how its implemented. The survival formula is popular for a reason, its just that not every dev nails it, we happy few, for example just seems to bolt it onto an adventure game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0 said:

@devil240z: I'm not bothered by it in general, just games that go to extremes, like NMS (and Halo) seems to do.

I'm generally fine with FOV's in the upper 60's, though the sweet spot is absolutely around 90.

I'm not even sure if NMS hits 40 degrees, it just looks incredibly cramped and disorienting. That's what you should see when looking through the scope of a weapon, not when just walking around.

Console games with especially low FOV always make me wonder if it's some kind of insane design choice, or if the game is barely keeping it together and they're trying to limit how much they have on-screen at once in as many ways as possible.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Is this game Elite Dangerous meets Roguelite meets survival game? Cause that's all I really know about it.

TViddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TViddy

I am still getting it day one cause even if it's just flying around and looking at shit, I'm down. Then again I love the truck simulator games.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By 49th

Even with the leaked footage I think it's unclear whether No Man's Sky is going to be as good as people wanted. I think the game has almost certainly been overhyped and it's unlikely to be as mindblowing or revolutionary as many people hoped, but your actual enjoyment on release will come down to how realistic your expectations were.

One thing is for sure though - there is going to be a huge backlash after release regardless of the quality of the game.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: FOV must be one of those things us console gamers don't notice. But maybe its just me. Also Ive never understood why pc people want all their games to look like skateboarding videos to begin with.

I can't play games with an FOV under 90. It makes me feel a bit dizzy at times.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb said:
@devil240z said:

I can't play games with an FOV under 90. It makes me feel a bit dizzy at times.

I think I'm the opposite because when I turn it up in pc games it always seems like too much information for my eyes to handle.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@bisonhero said:

@alistercat said:

It turns out maybe people shouldn't make a put-stick-and-a-rock-together games unless they're $15 and on Steam.

Limiting the price of certain games feels destructive. With that we get a race to the bottom like every game on an app store. I'm just not buying either of them, works for me.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I think it looks fine, but I also think there are going to be a whole lot of extremely disappointed people when this game comes out. I think No Man's Sky is going to be a hard lesson in keeping your expectations and hype in check.

vitz3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb:

Yes. This. 90 degrees or just don't even bother. When I get nausea just from watching the gameplay vids there's something fundamentally wrong here.

I sure hope the clever guys at the WSGF figure some kind of modification out. Either that or there better be an ini setting, console command or slider. I'm not picking this one up until I see the horse blinders come off.

Aethelred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is going to be released on PS4, and unfortunately Sony has started dropping DMCAs on YouTube channels for showing leaked content. Even channels showing screenshots have been hit.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Yo, so is that game Space Minecraft?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

I think it looks fine, but I also think there are going to be a whole lot of extremely disappointed people when this game comes out. I think No Man's Sky is going to be a hard lesson in keeping your expectations and hype in check.

No, no it won't be a hard lesson. A lot of the same dopes will do it again after conveniently forgetting how stupid they were. People enjoy it.

No Man's Sky looks like a solid type of one of those games. Nothing crazy good, nothing terrible. I'll wait for the price to go down, then i might give it a shot.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I watched a bunch of the leaked stuff and it made me realise that it's a game that I have absolutely no desire to play. People might enjoy it, but at its core, it just seems like another tedious survival game to me. Also, for the most part, the textures were a real eyesore.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mike
@giganteus said:

No, no it won't be a hard lesson. A lot of the same dopes will do it again after conveniently forgetting how stupid they were.

You're probably right. I'm actually looking forward to the 3 star review comments section more than I am the game itself. Now that's entertainment.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you actually spoil a minecraftlike/ space faring thing ? The only thing that could be spoiled is the end game thing in the middle of the galaxy but the rest ? you upgrade stuff etc. I don't think these thing are spoilers at all. Also I REALLY HATE this spoiler Culture we live in ! Where most of the "spoilers aren't spoilers...

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that he hit the centre of the galaxy universe whatever in 10-12 hours of play is what seems most concerning to me.

In answer to OPs question, I was planning on having a 'wait-and-see' attitude to the game anyway, but I don't think that what I have seen is particularly fantastic. The rush of actually traversing space and landing and disembarking on planets without any loading screens may trump that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

The fact that he hit the centre of the galaxy universe whatever in 10-12 hours of play is what seems most concerning to me.

I think that actually made me more interested . Don't mind if a game has "endless" content to explore, but I do prefer something with a tangible objective in a reasonable time rame.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It helps with motion sickness for me

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, with We Happy Few, the discussion underneat the "Not what I wanted it to be" is "well this doesn't seem fun at all".

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The discussion around We Happy Few isn't "not what I wanted it to be" but rather "not what I was lead on to believe it would be" the E3 demo was very deceptive to people who hadn't already seen the Kickstarter.

As for the leaks I watched them and it looked like another case of sacrificing quality for quantity to me. Nothing about what was going on was overly compelling other than there was a boatload of planets. In terms of designing an algorithm to handle that I'm impressed by what they've done but when I see what the game actually ended up being (and how ugly what I actually saw was seriously those textures are BAD, hoping it was a streaming issue) that impression dies off quickly.

There just didn't seem to be much to it, its feature set seems like what those hundreds of early access Steam survival games have when they launch on Early Access but with a bit of presentation polish on top. I feel like if Hello Games decided to keep adding features/content/mechanics to this game like the numerous Early Access games on Steam do, it could turn out to be what people wanted from it but at launch it will fall short.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

It helps with motion sickness for me

I can understand that.

Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What is Firewatch.....?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

Even with the leaked footage I think it's unclear whether No Man's Sky is going to be as good as people wanted. I think the game has almost certainly been overhyped and it's unlikely to be as mindblowing or revolutionary as many people hoped, but your actual enjoyment on release will come down to how realistic your expectations were.

One thing is for sure though - there is going to be a huge backlash after release regardless of the quality of the game.

i feel it's unfair to them as it seems like their game is getting positioned as this huge paradigm shifter when i think (despite the outcries) they've been pretty straightforward since the start about what this game is and what it will include, as well as very humble about it. i'm sure they appreciate the hell out their fans but i don't think they ever wanted it blown up this big or distorted so much.

i have a feeling i'll really dig it still. still haven't preordered but that may change.

it also seems like the supposed time to finish the game of 20ish hours may be bullshit as well, as with all open world games if you focused on the critical path yon can finish relativitely quickly. also i thought getting to the center was a goal only one could accomplish and then the galaxy completely resets? i guess everyone can do it and it doesn't change anything.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

What is Firewatch.....?

No Man's Skyerwatch?

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tviddy said:

I am still getting it day one cause even if it's just flying around and looking at shit, I'm down. Then again I love the truck simulator games.

Ok, but what if while you were there you had to shoot a bunch of rocks and get the sweet sweet minerals?

haha really though, this is what i always though the game was and i was cool with that, but its way more like, go to planet, explore, shoot rocks to get minerals and upgrade stuff to get to the next planet so you can explore and shoot different rocks to get more minerals and upgrade again...etc.

ironically i think people like us are going to be the most disappointed, people who just wanted a really chill exploration game are getting a survival mode they cant opt out of.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this should have totes been dwarf fortress in space (aka rimworld). every person, alien, and animal has a history and stats/motives. procedural wars break out and alliances form. oh man that could have been great. now im disappointed. fuck no man's sky!

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the "if I can fly around and see some neat stuff then I'm happy" camp. Does help that I got it pretty much for free though...

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With infinite possibilities, I'm hoping to see at least one of those dinosaur-like critters in plaid.

I'm pretty much looking forward to this game, because it is still not clear what to expect, except there will be space wars, and everything goes on forever.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LawGamer

I think No Man's Sky is a game that should probably get a few marketing people fired. The entire lead up to this game has been kinda shitty in a way I don't think is necessarily Hello Games' fault. First, they debuted it way too early back at that 2013(?) E3 where, given how long the game ended up having before release, it had no business being. Then they had what amounted to essentially 2-3 years of previews that were basically the same thing - land on a planet, mine some stuff, fly around a bit, and talk about how massive the game universe was.

The thing is, I kinda feel like Hello Games has been pretty up front about the systems that are going to be in the game and if the game is just "land on planet, mine, fly around," that'd be totally cool in isolation. Not a game for everyone, but fine. The issue is that in almost every single preview out there they have Sean Murray saying something to the effect of "and we have so much more to show you," except every subsequent preview is just more "land, mine, fly," with none of the "so much more" bits. It's gone on so long that I would forgive people for getting suspicious about the level of content. And even if there is some cool secret in the game, I don't think it can live up to the massive build up at this point.

Regardless of how the game turns out, I'd be very interested to know just how much of the lead out for this game was Hello Games' idea vs. Sony's marketing people essentially forcing themselves into the conversation by saying "No, no, no. You don't get it. You have to market a game this way."

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: I agree with the fact some of the marketing in the last year has been poor, and it's probably not HG's call on that.

I do feel, however, that their first showing at the 2013 VGX awards, while early, had to be done. They didn't have a publisher at that time, and while I'm sure (and I think he has said as much) that Sean didn't want to show it off in such an early state, they had to in order to try to procure more funding. The studio was even smaller at that time. I fear without that showing and then the public outcry of interest in it after, the game might not have found the funds needed to actually progress and make the thing they wanted to make.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it will be cool if you can exterminate the life entirely off a planet though. hope jeff live streams himself blasting the outer layer entirely off a planet (potentially from space). yes i realize this probably can't/won't happen.

blackblade500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_max707: I with you on this one. For me, this seems like the perfect 30 min to hour at a time game. Also I got it for like 5 dollars. Had $42 in Amazon credit, and if you pre order it from Amazon you get it 47.99. So I feel like I am going to get my money's worth, but there is a larger value argument there.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@szlifier said:
@arbitrarywater said:

Yo, so is that game Space Minecraft?

No, that's Starforge.

you mean 2d No Man's Sky With More Going On

You're thinking of Starbound. Starforge is a different beast.

this should have totes been dwarf fortress in space (aka rimworld). every person, alien, and animal has a history and stats/motives. procedural wars break out and alliances form. oh man that could have been great. now im disappointed. fuck no man's sky!

The game's impressive as is, adding Dwarf Fortress lore generation, and AI life simulation on top of the amazing procedural generation is just not possible. At least not by a small indie team. So... not possible at all, since we would never, ever see that in a triple A game.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The perfect 30min-1hour game this year was Stardew Valley. Except that realistically it was a 1-3 hour game. And I haven't played games in longer than a 2 hour stint in 4 years

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people can be enraptured by Pokemon fucking Go, I'm sure no man's sky will do fine, as long as it isn't completely broken and your expectations aren't completely absurd. I think a select few people will be disappointed, and most people will dig it. Ignoring the opinions of this sites staff, lots of people do like survival games and NMS looks leagues better/more ambitious than any other before it.

I'm getting it through gamefly and my expectations are in check, so it doesn't matter much to me either way. Will be interesting to see the initial reaction vs long term sustainability though.