So I started playing the NEXT update for No Man's Sky and if you've been playing since launch there are some significant changes. I'd like to collate a list of changes people have found, since I feel like they have not really messaged a lot of significant changes to inventory and resources. Please add things you've discovered that were not messaged in the patch notes or marketing material. Here are some things I noticed right away:
- All your previously crafted ship, exo suit, and weapon perks are disabled - As soon as you try to get into combat you'll notice all the upgrades and enhancements for for ship and mutli-tool are have been converted into "obsolete technology" and you receive none of the benefits. Apparently Obsolete tech can be used in crafting later... but I haven't found out exactly how.
- Grenades are different and now hurt you - I'm fairly certain that in the base game, you could stand on top of a grenade and blow a big hole in the ground beneath you. Not so anymore. Your default grenade has no effect on terrain and if you're too close to it when it explodes you will take damage. There are now multiple grenade types
- Sentinels behave differently. - The mechanic that allows you to kill Drones before they call for reinforcements seems to be removes or severely shortened. Sentinel drones also have the ability to cover themselves in armor plating during combat.
- Random players can and will join your game without permission. You can group up with them, voice chat with them, or kick them. And you can choose to go into offline mode at any time in the options menu.
- Textures are far more detailed. Your ship will have a much more weathered and used look.
I'll add more as I find it and I invite you all to do the same.
- Ground based Sentinels can now damage your ship while it's parked.
- You can now use your ship's weapons to attack things on the planet surfaces.