2nd Floor Room, how much weight is safe?...

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Hey all, just moved house, back to my parents after a bad experience with a landlord.

I'm being asked to keep all my stuff in my room, and my collection is quite large, i'm worried about how the weight will effect the floor.

I have a few small freestanding shelves, each with around 100 dvd sized cases on them (mostly games) 8 of those. And one large bookshelf, with 2 selves of hardback books, and around 400 games on, as well as some very light display stuff ontop and 2 original xboxes. Theres a small, light couch, and no bedframe just a mattress which I lean against the wall during the day.

Is there a chance this lot could fall through the floor? Or am I worrying needlessly? Anybody have any ideas or experience with this kinda thing?

Cheers

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

It shouldn't be a problem, unless the house is really, really fricking old and/or falling apart. I'm 19 and still in my parent's house (not too much longer! (:), and my room is full of heavy crap. The lower floor hasn't seen my room yet. (:

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By The_A_Drain

That's a relief, I mean the house is really old (built in the 50s afaik) but from what I gather thats not that old for a house.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By asurastrike

I've never heard of a second story floor collapsing from weight, but it would be funny. :P I would assume that you are fine, but if you are really worried, then it will take more than a post on the internet to find out. You need to find out all kinds of information about the house to find out the exact weight that the floor can hold.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Commando
@The_A_Drain: This is actually the perfect time for me to answer this question. I was doing research because I want to build a 2 story shed in our yard, and wanted to see what size wood I would need to support the second floor. The first floor is for storage, the second floor is a chill place, so I guess you could call it a guest house. I looked up building codes, and the supporting weight of 2x8's, 2x10's, and 2x12's. 

If the building is between 5-30 years old, the floor is being supported by 2x10 joists every 16 inches, while the walls are supported by regular 2x4s every 12 inches(don't worry about that, one 2x4 standing vertically can support over 4,000 pounds, I just thought I would throw it in as a fun fact). If it was built after 2004, the floors are being supported by 2x12 joists every 12 inches. This adds a huge amount of support.
You said it's a pretty large room. I'm assuming this means it's pretty close to 25x25 feet? One 2x12 joist that is 25 feet long at it's weakest point can support over 1000 pounds at it's weakest point(the center). So assuming they stuck with building codes and have a supporting joist running through the center of the 2x12s, you can hold about 3000 pounds at any spot in the room(the edges near the walls are many times stronger). A 2x10 with the same situation could support about 2000 pounds at any one spot in the room

If you don't understand what I'm saying, just trust me. You're fine unless you have (to be safe) over 1,500 pounds/ every sq foot. You could put a pickup truck loaded with bricks in the room and it wouldn't even dent the structural support. 
To make it short, you're fine. You're right to ask questions though, because no one wants to fall through the floor and end up in their neighbor's living room.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Commando:

Haha wow, thanks for the detailed information it's very reassuring :D

The walls here are brick, although the wall they are next to is a plasterboard wall meeting with the next bedroom (same in the room below) and i'm not sure how different building regs are here in the UK, but I would assume roughly the same, so it still puts me at ease.

Only thing worrying me now is how the previous builder (IE, my dad, who is not a builder) put the plasterboard wall in and whether or not it weakened the floor in some way.

Cheers again dude :D
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By skrutop

Just don't put a pool in there, and you should be fine.

DavidPalmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DavidPalmer

I think you should be fine, I have honestly not heard of a roof falling unless there was just a total lack of maintenance or something stupid (like the indoor pool) that caused it to happen.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

It must suck moving out of your parent's house. Everybody I've known similar to your problem always ends up in a bad situation. If you're rooming with friends the friendship deteriorates as your different lifestyles clash.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Vinchenzo:

It totally does suck. Especially wen you end up with an indian landlord who ides behind "Me no speaky englis" whenever you have a problem that needs dealing with. I've also cut ties with several of the 'friends' I moved in with.

You know what sucks even more though? Ok maybe not more, but, the uneven carpet caused a standing shelf to fall on my head, and rebound off of my head onto my FarCry 2 LE wooden box, crushing it to pieces ;_; and i've lost my ipod charge cable, and cant find my Wii (it's probably still back at the other house, my door is locked so noone can steal it, and i'm not officially due out for 2 weeks)
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MC_Izawa

You need to lay off the Twinkies and/or NES games if the floor collapsing is a real fear.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By keyhunter

A house gets proportionally shittier the newer it is. The percentage of stucco used to hold up a house also needs to be taken into account. Also, you should be able to park several cars on top of a house.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ahriman22

Nah man, I live on the second floor (It's a loft space and it's all mine, rest of the familly "live" on the first floor) and I have hella stuff here. No floorboards giving way at all.