50 Books, 50 Movies, 50 Games. 1 Year (2014)

• 63 results
chobobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

This is a challenge taken from the fiftyfifty.me site where people have to try and complete 50 books, movies and I have added to the challenge games since we are all gamer's here.

Some Guidelines:

• Recognize you’re doing this for bragging rights (only); although we promise some fun along the way.
  • Join anytime you like, but you only have till the end of 2014 to finish.
  • Read, watch and play at your own pace, just get to 50/50/50 before January 1, 2015
  • Finish that stack of half-read books, finally! We’ll let you count them.
  • Read/watch in any language
  • Only full games count disc-based or downloadable; I wouldn't count DLC content myself.
  • You can update your progress within this thread.

ChoboBot - 0/50 books | 0/50 movies | 0/50 games

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Captain_Insano

Sounds decent, though 50 games is out of the realm of possibility for me I think, I normally get through 10 - 20 in a given year. My wife read over 100 books this year. One year I kept track I got to 73, so the books aspect is achievable. Movies is as well though a movie a week is even a bit of a chore.

I'll give it a go though, especially with the books side of things. I only read maybe 18 this year so need to encourage myself to get into it more.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I can guarantee you that I couldnt pull the books/games part off. I could definitely watch 50 movies or listen to 50 albums though.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

50 games? I mean unless you count Flash/web games there is no way I could play 50 games in a year. You'd just not get enough time with them. Could do 50 books though. Probably even 50 films though I don't really love the medium all that much right now. But games? I'd just not get to spend time I want with things.

But good luck

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By erhard

I watch at least 50 movies and read at least 25 books per year. I can barely find 10 games that interest me in the same time period.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Fuck that.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll stick with enjoying what I read, watch and play rather than trying to cram in as many as possible thank you.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Going for volume is pretty stupid when it comes to games and books, there's a lot of fluff when it comes to both. As far as movies go though I think you could probably watch 50 a year and only run into trouble after like 10 years or so. Most of the best books are worth reading like 6 or 7 times and if you're reading 50 you're probably going to touch on some trash along the way unless you stick strictly to non fiction and classical literature. This year I read like 15-20 books, Three Kingdoms/Heart of Darkness/Almayer's Folly being the only pieces of fiction. I did watch probably like 70 movies and I've still got a while to go there. 25-30 games? Though mainly because of PS+

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could proobably do 20 of each in a year. 50 seems like way to big of a number (especially for games.)

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Challenge Accepted!

Hoboassassin54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50 games and movies are way too easy. Now books are going to be tough

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I can interact with 50 of each in a year, but I can't finish 50. I barely play 50 games a year, let alone finish them.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Sounds like a cool idea to encourage yourself to get through your backlog of books/games/movies. There are a ton of all three that I've been meaning to get through. So yeah, count me in. The games seems difficult but doable. Not all games are 60 hour mammoths. There are plenty of 3 hour indie games that can be finished in one session. Movies should be easy. Books is probably somewhere in the middle. Still, I fully expect to fail, but it'll be fun trying.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sounds like a good goal for people without a job or responsibilities.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Sounds awesome, but 25 games might be a better goal.

50 books doesn't sound like too much.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By benpicko

Well I read like 25 books this year, watched 133 films, and listened to like 90 albums and mixtapes. Don't think I played through a game entirely actually... and 50 is way, way too many. Not going to happen.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never read a book so Im fooked

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

They don't believe in the sacriligeousness of 50 albums.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#22  Edited By pyromagnestir

Impossible.

Of all of those, the only one I've ever accomplished is 50 movies in a year. Hell, I came close to averaging 50 movies a year between 2007 - 2012. But the last 4 years of that I was unemployed and out of school. And even then, they weren't all movies I'd never seen before, I'm not sure that I ever watched 50 movies I hadn't seen before in any of those years, but I know I was around that number for a couple at least. This year I went back to college, and I've maybe watched half that. Not sure.

There's zero chance that I could read 50 books or finish 50 games in a year though. I've never even come close. Not even during those years where I was literally doing nothing but watching movies, playing games, and reading books most of the time. I've come sorta close to playing 50 individual games this year, not sure how close, but according to the list I made I've played about 32 although the actual number is around 40, so I probably could get there this year if I quickly play a couple more games but I've only finished about 17 of them so far.

And reading has been the most affected by going back to college, including audiobooks off the top of my head I can think of 5 books that I've finished this year. Unless I padded it out with dozens of children's books or something I wouldn't even stand a chance.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Getz

I tried to watch 100 movies this year and gave up after the first 12. I just don't care enough.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By dichemstys

I could do 50 movies, easily. 50 books or games is gonna be rough.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games and movies are easy (just download 50 games from some game jam or go to newgrounds or something like that and BOOM all done in an afternoon), but books? That's a bit too much. Unless newspapers count. (I know right, I still read those things. It's like I live in the XIX century or something)

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I like reading, but a lot of the books I like are pretty damn long, and my ADHD means that reading literature isn't that easy for me. I probably read less than 10 books this year. Trying to read 50 books in a year might actually kill me.

This seems like a bit of a daft idea to me, but good luck to anyone who gives it a go.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50 games and movies are way too easy. Now books are going to be tough

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think you kind of have to choose between books and games. Unless you're reading a lot of young adult novels and playing a lot of indie games. If you're into the kind of thick ass fantasy books I am, and RPG's then there's no way.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

I read about 20 books and finished around 25 games this year, but I saw over 300 movies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cbd3a5285f1e
deactivated-5cbd3a5285f1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm fucking in.

0/50 G 0/50 B 0/50 M

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HerbieBug

I am avid reader and collector of books. I read relatively quickly. In order to actually complete the fifty book criteria in 365 days, I would have to specifically choose books according to total page count. And I don't want to do that. I ordinarily read between 15 and 25 books per year, average page count depending. So fuck it. :p

50 books in a year is 1 book for every 7.3 days. At my speed, that puts the max page count in around 250 or so for paperbacks with typical font size.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck it I'm gonna give it a shot.

I'm hoping that, especially with the books this will push me to read things I usually wouldn't.

Games though...whooo that's gonna be hard, lots of FTP in my future.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vanick

I have no life so what the hell, I'll give this a shot.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quick and dirty summation. Averages for number of Book pages (200 page) times reading speed (10page/h), movie length (1.5 h), well, turns out books and games take about the same time to finish - about 20 hours. So one would have to spend at least 2000 of about 5840 annual waking hours, with this challenge.

It could be a good incentive to read more and not to get into idiotic competitive, collectable, addictive games, which basically erase time and personality. And you could cut corners with short indie darlings and audio-books.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds like a good goal for people without a job or responsibilities.

It's called time management.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eurobum said:

Quick and dirty summation. Averages for number of Book pages (200 page) times reading speed (10page/h), movie length (1.5 h), well, turns out books and games take about the same time to finish - about 20 hours. So one would have to spend at least 2000 of about 5840 annual waking hours, with this challenge.

It could be a good incentive to read more and not to get into idiotic competitive, collectable, addictive games, which basically erase time and personality. And you could cut corners with short indie darlings and audio-books.

10 pages per hour? That sounds a bit slow to me. But then I suppose it's not something I've ever really considered, the pace that I read at.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By benpicko

@eurobum said:

10 pages per hour? That's incredibly slow. I do like 60 per hour and it still feels slow

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

50 movies? Shiiiiiiiet! This gon' be easy!

50 books? Can I find 50 books that don't put me to sleep?

50 Video Games? I love me some video games, but I don't know if I'll be able to complete 50 games that are actually worth playing. Even if I manage to find the candidates, that's a lot of time being spent in front of a TV.

50 CoD-esque games = Roughly 400 hours. That's only like...1.75 times the amount of time I spent playing Pokemon Y this past year. Fuck that! That's 400 hours I could spend doing productive shit.

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is anyone still doing this?

I've been keeping a weekly blog on this site, if your actually interested in any of the shit I've actually watched/read/played my rules are in the very first blog.

My January tally is

Total of 5 books,

Total 7 Movies

Total 4 games

Ill check in again at the end of feb....so yea this post is going to necro.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude im poor.

Sure i probably watch over 50 new movies a year, most of them are instantly forgettable trash. (i like movies, shut up). 50 games? Eh that sounds awful and unfun. I like to take my time with games and enjoy them at my own pace. Sometimes ill replay the same game right after i beat it the first time. Not to mention the prices of games, granted steamsales, but my video card is ASS right now (damn thing heats up to 80c watching GB videos....and no its not dust, its old and im assuming the thermal paste is shot, and its old enough to not warrant bothering replacing the paste)

The books? Eh honestly i don't read alot of books. I spend every morning reading tons of various articles, essays, news stories, ect. with my morning coffee/breakfast, but i generally don't read books. Does that make me a bad person? No. I have nothing against books, i enjoy a good book every now and then. It's just not a regular part of my life.

Seems like a fun challenge though, so kudos to you trying to do that. Just don't rush / force anything to meet a quota cus that'd suck all the enjoyment out of them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninnanuam: I thought it would be interesting to try, but I've lowered it to 25 of each. And it's in pursuit of finding new things with the number as a secondary goal, not in pursuit of reaching that number "just because". So if I only read fourteen books but they're things I would never have read otherwise, then mission accomplished.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hatking

Hm. I think I'll try it. I'm probably too busy to actually be able to accomplish this, unless I start doing audio books while I'm at work. The movie thing is no problem, and would probably happen regardless. Games is weird. I'm sure I'll play 50 different games, but I'm not as sure that I'll finish all of them. I think I'll count it as long as I've played enough that I feel comfortable giving my opinion about it.

Edit: I'm also going to add albums to this, because music is important.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Justin258

@hatking: I also added music to mine.

EDIT: Funny thing about music - I can make a reasonable argument for why I like a certain movie, book, or game. But I don't know much about music. I can tell you which songs I like, but I can't really tell you which ones have pretty good musicianship, which ones are technically brilliant, which ones are just generic, etc.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck, the games break it for me. I don't like 50 games a year enough to play through them. I've already read 30 books and watched 42 movies and just the press screenings next week bring that over 50 so that should be easy.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258: Yeah, that's fairly easy. I listen to music a lot. And I can knock out an album during my work commute or work out no problem. Heck, I could probably even knock out albums while I play some games. Then again, I do consider sound and music an important part of games, so generally I want to listen to them.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: I also added music to mine.

EDIT: Funny thing about music - I can make a reasonable argument for why I like a certain movie, book, or game. But I don't know much about music. I can tell you which songs I like, but I can't really tell you which ones have pretty good musicianship, which ones are technically brilliant, which ones are just generic, etc.

I think music is even more subjective and more purely based on personal preference and opinion than any other medium. If i like or dislike a game or movie/tv show i generally have alot of reasons i can articulate. With music? It's often "i just don't like it" or "it sounds cool".

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

50 games is a lot, I play a handful at most. 50 books and 50 movies is something I do every year though.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

how am I going to afford fifty books in one year?

Even if I swap movies for games, this challenge is crazy, since it means I'd have to finish a game every week, AND read a book in that time. This challenge is pretty messed up. :x

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

how am I going to afford fifty books in one year?

Even if I swap movies for games, this challenge is crazy, since it means I'd have to finish a game every week, AND read a book in that time. This challenge is pretty messed up. :x

Do you live near a library? Books cost the least of all of these.