• 70 results
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

Okay, so...I'm turning twenty in July. I'm in College, yada yada yada; anyway, in terms of, well, "ruggedness," I still look like I'm twelve. Okay, maybe that's overstating it a tad, but I do look pretty young for my age (I get fifteen-seventeen a lot, but since I'm tall, yeah). Anywho, as you can probably guess, I was never really able to grow much facial hair. 

The sides of my face are completely clear (no stubble at all), and I can only grow a very faint goatee currently -- which I never do, because it looks terrible on me. Anyway, getting to the point, lately I've noticed that I've had to shave the aforementioned goatee-stubble more han usual. A month or two ago it increased to every other day, but now I'm almost at the point where I have to shave every morning. 

So here's my question for those with beards (Claude, looking at you for this one): I'm not a little kid; I'm almost twenty. Can/Will I even develop a full beard at this point? Or is it pretty set as to what my potential facial hair is? I'm just worried that I'm going to break out into some sort of uncontrollable grizzly-adams thing in another year - which COULD be cool, though it would require some getting used to. 

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

My suggestion is to not shave for a week or a few weeks and see what happens. Go for a month if you're willing. No use guessing, just let it happen and find out.

EDIT: Maybe even try it out one or two weeks every year; see if it changes.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By bacongames
@Bruce said:
" Okay, so...I'm turning twenty in July. I'm in College, yada yada yada; anyway, in terms of, well, "ruggedness," I still look like I'm twelve. Okay, maybe that's overstating it a tad, but I do look pretty young for my age (I get fifteen-seventeen a lot, but since I'm tall, yeah). Anywho, as you can probably guess, I was never really able to grow much facial hair.   The sides of my face are completely clear (no stubble at all), and I can only grow a very faint goatee currently -- which I never do, because it looks terrible on me. Anyway, getting to the point, lately I've noticed that I've had to shave the aforementioned goatee-stubble more han usual. A month or two ago it increased to every other day, but now I'm almost at the point where I have to shave every morning.  So here's my question for those with beards (Claude, looking at you for this one): I'm not a little kid; I'm almost twenty. Can/Will I even develop a full beard at this point? Or is it pretty set as to what my potential facial hair is? I'm just worried that I'm going to break out into some sort of uncontrollable grizzly-adams thing in another year - which COULD be cool, though it would require some getting used to.  "
As a significantly bearded gentlemen about to turn 18 in what, 3 days?  I have seen many men in your position.  Basically patience is key if you ever want to grow facial hair in your position.  From what I can tell keep the habit going of shaving for about half a month.  See how quickly and thick this comes through.  Then let the sumbitch grow out.  This is a test to see if it can go.  From what I can tell there's hope yet.  If it STILL doesn't want to work, rinse and repeat if you see progress. If not, then well...there's nothing I can do about your genetics.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bruce
@Hamst3r:  

I'm just wondering like, will I start sprouting BEARD from the spots that are completely clear as I get older? Or is that more or less set?
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

I've had a full-on mustache since I was twelve, then a full-on goatee/mustache combo by my junior year in high school.  Now I can grow a "chin strap" along my jaw line and I'm twenty. 

So maybe.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bacongames
@Bruce said:
" @Hamst3r:   I'm just wondering like, will I start sprouting BEARD from the spots that are completely clear as I get older? Or is that more or less set? "
Sorry to co-opt the quote but it's a question of patch.  The patch problem plagues many men and if it comes in small or faint but consistent, you're golden.  But it's all on letting it grow after a few weeks of shaving to make sure the face is completely clean to let the hair come in.  If it's a mess, then the prognosis isn't pretty.  If it is consistent but not thick, then beard is likely in your future.
LRP21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By LRP21
@rjayb89: I know it's you Chuck Norris
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, I'd just stop shaving for a while and see what happens. If you've got enough for some chin music, then fantastic.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Gabriel

If you pray to him your dreams will come true.  

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By rjayb89
@LRP21: My mustache and goatee do not "connect." =(
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By cstrang

Some people just CAN'T grow facial hair.  My 23 year old roommate tried to grow a beard for like 3 weeks last summer and he didn't have anything.  I, however, have been able to grow a full beard since middle school...

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bruce
@cstrang:  

It's just weird considering how my father pretty much had one from age 12.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Famov

Like with anything else, some people are late bloomers. It's only been since my dad turned 45 that he has been able to do anything other than a weak mustache, but now he can do a passable beard (mostly gray, but beggars cannot be choosers!). It should be noted though, he's nearly 52 now and still has nothing resembling sideburns.

At 21 years old, I'm doing a lot better than him. But it also means that I get more hair everywhere else... not necessarily where I want it! There's good and bad points to everything.
izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By izzygraze

Yeah, it gets better as you get older. I used to not be able to grow much around my mouth, as in I had more of a mustache and soul patch than goatee. I've also noticed new hair on my face, giving me more to trim.

But yeah, just let it grow for a long time. I honestly think that most people just don't let it grow for long enough. They're like, "I've let it grow for two whole weeks! And I don't have a full on beard?! WTF!". It might take a few months to get all desired results.

One last thing. Shampoo your beard. People often complain that their beard is all scratchy but that's because either, it's not neat (trim it), or they're not shampooing. The hair on your face needs to be shampooed the same as the hair on your head. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I really couldn't grow a beard in my late teens and early twenties. I remember being in the Navy from ages 18 to 21 and not shaving for two or three days. Then around 24 or so, it started filling in. Sadly, when I turned 40, it started turning gray. 

I've been growing my beard out for a play the last few months. I usually keep it combed down, but for the play "Inherit the Wind", I'm going to make it all bushy. 

No Caption Provided
I would say around 24 or so you should know where you stand. The last thing to fill in for me was the connecting of my beard and mustache. The thickest part is on my chin. My mustache still sucks, sometimes I shave it off and leave the beard. It's a good look.
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By emkeighcameron

Facial hair will not help you with this problem. Even if you manage to grow a convincing beard (which doesn't sound likely given your hair history), it will simply be a mask for the more fundamental issues that plague your psyche.

For one thing, stop eating. Go on a starvation diet and drink only water. Clear your mind and fight the madness that slowly infects you as the hunger mounts. Shun all human contact and suffer, suffer for as long as you can conceivably bear.  Once this has been completed, you will need to feed. Feeding should be done cautiously, and only on acidic substances such as citric fruits and Excedrin. You will need to compensate with an appropriate amount of calcium carbonate (Tums) to counteract the acidic metling of your stomach lining.  At all times you should be in an unbearable state of hunger, eating only just barely enough to stay alive.

Once you have done these things, you will find that sleep is impossible. Anything more than four hours of sleep a night will not be attained. Accept this, and use the extra hours to focus your rage into constructive means, such as spelunking or bare-knuckle brawling.

Now, you will have to kill a living creature. If you own a pet that eats other pets, this problem can be solved via the loophole of feeding the predator pet. Most likely, however, this is not the case. You will have to arm yourself with nothing but your wits and your madness, and delve into the dark corners of the world. I cannot tell you what you will find, but know this: it means to end you, and should you fail to end it first, you will cease to be.

After surviving the trials of hunger and war, the only thing left is to get laid. Prostitutes are cheating, as is rape. In your state of starvation and bloodlust, you have to somehow convince a woman that you are worthy of sexual favors. This is the hardest trial of all, and many that triumph during the first two stages fail horribly here.

When you done these things, a great light will be made known to you. You will see the world in a new way, and become born again.

Once that happens, the beard will cease to matter. No facial hair will compare with what feats you have accomplished. Any who would think to scorn you for your child-like appearance will immediately stop and recognize that they are addressing a superior being, a warrior poet, a man who could destroy them with naught but a firing of his neurons.

Plus, beard are itchy as fuck.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I think Jeff has gone on record saying he is incapable of a true beard, so there's no shame in it if you can't. But growing it out does help see just how much is there; I don't think people are supposed to be FULLY fully grown til like 24. So don't worry about it, and stroke 'em if you got 'em.* 

* And by "em" I mean whiskers. Not penis.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

My advise: Consult Abraham Lincoln.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By veektarius

At 26, I still can't manage the connecting portion between mustache and beard.  Nothin there at all.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By grilledcheez

Bull Shark testosterone /thread

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FunExplosions
@Bruce said:

" @Hamst3r:   I'm just wondering like, will I start sprouting BEARD from the spots that are completely clear as I get older? Or is that more or less set? "

I'm 20, and just recently have finally been able to get some decent hair between the sides of my chin and my sideburns. The first facial hair I got was under my chin and straight down. It was the most disgusting stereotypical gamer under-beard. I have always kept it no more than a stubble. After about 6 months, probably around 18/19 years old, I started to get some side-burn hair. My side-burn hair is currently just about caught up to my chin hair. And I'm just now starting to get some sparse hair around my cheeks (very sparse. Like, I can probably count them). So basically, I have to kind of trim down my middle-neck beard if I want to grow my facial hair out a little, and even doing that, it starts to look real scummy in about a week. My point, is that you're not alone. And well, it probably? will start to grow. Hey, just be glad you're not an albino or something.

Edit: Never mind. emkeighcameron's comment is the be-all and end-all of this thread.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bruce
@emkeighcameron:  

I don't know what inspired you to do all that, but bravo.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By chrissedoff

assuming you aren't a chubby guy, i think you're better off clean-shaven. the scruffy look is not really in at the moment.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tebbit
@Claude: In another 90-120 years, you could look like Santa! 
I hear he gets all the hos.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude
@Bruce: 

Hey, maybe you'll have a darker version of Dave Snider. 

No Caption Provided
Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

My facial hair grows incredibly fast on my cheeks, chin, sides, and neck, but I can't grow a mustache for crap. I'll give it another few years before I try growing a full beard.

tariqari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By tariqari

If you have the genes you can do it.  Might take a few months to get a sizeable one.

EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EndlessMike

You're 20, not 50. If you think you've stopped growing you're fooling yourself.

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By j_drace

I have a friend who is 21 and another who is 19 who can't really grow any facial hair.  As for me I was shaving since I was 15.  I like to have a beard at times, however most of the time I'm clean shaven or I have something on the chin.  I kind of wish I didn't have facial hair because it grows fast for me.  My whole face is covered in about 2 days.  I hate shaving so I only do it once a week, but hair on your neck gets really irritating.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By subject2change
@chrissedoff said:

" assuming you aren't a chubby guy, i think you're better off clean-shaven. the scruffy look is not really in at the moment. "

Uhhhhh, chubby people with beards look terrible.

And don't know where you live, but beards are in on the East Coast...

I've had my beard since I was 19. Haven't shaved it off entirely since then. I am turning 24 in 4 months.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Black_Raven
@EndlessMike said:

" You're 20, not 50. If you think you've stopped growing you're fooling yourself. "

As far as I know he probably has, don't guys stop growing between 17 - 23, or something similar?
edit: And when I say "growing" I mean height, facial hair ect..
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By artofwar420

Men usually don't stop developing until their late 20s. So I'd say don't fret and just look at your dad or family for reference on potential bearditude.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bruce
@chrissedoff:  

See my profile pic for reference.
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Th3_James

I am 6"7 and look older than my age, but I can't for the life of me grow a beard. 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Bruce said:
Your facial hair will continue to fill in over time, although I would say look at your dad and granddads on both sides of the family, you will most likely end up with very similar facial hair to them.

Also you can encourage growth of the hair by shaving it as it grows in, thus why the hair you have currently grows in faster over time. 

ALSO: Dude, don't do it! Shaving is the worst! Sure you feel like a man when you do it, but shaving every couple of days is really annoying.

Oh and beards on young people aren't cool. I always see people around my uni campus with em. Lame. Girls don't like them.
chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By chrissedoff
@Bruce said:
" @chrissedoff:   See my profile pic for reference. "
a beard might make you look like the jerk from king of kong. if i were you, i'd be glad to have been spared the chore of a daily shave.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Tuffgong said:
" @Bruce said:
" Okay, so...I'm turning twenty in July. I'm in College, yada yada yada; anyway, in terms of, well, "ruggedness," I still look like I'm twelve. Okay, maybe that's overstating it a tad, but I do look pretty young for my age (I get fifteen-seventeen a lot, but since I'm tall, yeah). Anywho, as you can probably guess, I was never really able to grow much facial hair.   The sides of my face are completely clear (no stubble at all), and I can only grow a very faint goatee currently -- which I never do, because it looks terrible on me. Anyway, getting to the point, lately I've noticed that I've had to shave the aforementioned goatee-stubble more han usual. A month or two ago it increased to every other day, but now I'm almost at the point where I have to shave every morning.  So here's my question for those with beards (Claude, looking at you for this one): I'm not a little kid; I'm almost twenty. Can/Will I even develop a full beard at this point? Or is it pretty set as to what my potential facial hair is? I'm just worried that I'm going to break out into some sort of uncontrollable grizzly-adams thing in another year - which COULD be cool, though it would require some getting used to.  "
As a significantly bearded gentlemen about to turn 18 in what, 3 days?  I have seen many men in your position.  Basically patience is key if you ever want to grow facial hair in your position.  From what I can tell keep the habit going of shaving for about half a month.  See how quickly and thick this comes through.  Then let the sumbitch grow out.  This is a test to see if it can go.  From what I can tell there's hope yet.  If it STILL doesn't want to work, rinse and repeat if you see progress. If not, then well...there's nothing I can do about your genetics. "
Word. This man has stolen the words from right out of my mouth.

I was accused of shaving since the age of ten. This is not true. It really is just all genetics. Just... please don't grow a mustache. Unless you want to look like those creepy guys on public transport services that stare at schoolgirls. You know who the guys I'm talking about.
Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sliced_Bread

Consult the Rules of Beard Acquisition    
 " 3. No one can predict when your teenage beard will mature into an adult beard. It could take months or years.    " 

When I was 20 and made my first attempt at a beard it was a miserable patchy failure.  I managed a fairly solid goatee and a crappy mustache, the rest was just a mess.  Now I'm 22 and have a pretty nice full beard, all i'm lacking is the mustache to beard connection.  So, if i were to hazard a guess I'd say you're far from done at 19. 

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hatking

I grow a badass 5 o'clock shadow... I like that so I try to keep it short.  I am weird though I go through frequent phases of facial hair.  I'll go clean for a week, then let it grow for two weeks into a full beard and then shave it down to the 5 o'clock shadow again.  The only thing I won't do is a goatee... personally I think it looks trashy. :/
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cinemandrew
@Bruce: I believe that some guys continue to "develop" through their early twenties so it's possible that your beard will thicken, but it won't be a dramatic change. Being a man of only 5'6", I had always hoped I would hit one last growth spurt in my early 20's. I think the fact that I could grow a full beard in junior high should have been definitive proof that I was done growing.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Scrawnto

I had roughly two hairs on my chin at eighteen. I'm now 21, and the hair is definitely still filling in on my face. I've got annoyingly scattered hairs on my cheeks, something that's just starting to look beardish on my chin, and almost nothing on my upper lip. Of course, I also didn't catch up to my peers in height until senior year of high school, and I've always been quite scrawny in general, so my beard growth may not be typical. However, A friend of mine who has a pretty good goatee says that the rest of his beard won't come in until he's around 25 based on the experience of his family members. I wouldn't worry about it. Just be patient and let it grow out every once in a while to see how it's progressed.

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By arkasai

Odd I was just thinking about highly visible beards earlier today.  I would suggest shaving as soon as humanly possible, meaning as soon as that stubble is long enough to catch on a razor.  That should up the growth rate a bit, I seriously don't think letting it just grow out will help.  It especially wont help if it looks patchy as fuck and you feel like you need to keep it for some time.  Once I started shaving I didn't let up, and my beard came in fierce.  You'll probably resent your beard like most guys eventually, the reason I have one is cause it's a pain in the ass shaving every morning.  I just shave my face and let a fat Amish beard grow under my jaw.  I'll usually do a full shave when I swap out my razors....which is another thing you'll resent, having to buy razors more often.  

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By c1337us

Just commit to gowing it out for a while. After a month or so you should have a good idea about what you can manage to sculpt it into. But at 20 you can look forward to it filling out a little better for a few more years yet.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By oldschool

I didn't shave regularly until at least 25+.  Up to then, it was pretty patchy.  It will happen. 

I have a full beard right now - holiday beard.  I am going to a sales meeting tomorrow, so I will shave it off.  The problem is that the bottom half of the beard (below the chin) is pure white.  The top half of the beard (chin up) is bright red.  It looks very odd to say the least.  Plus, I actually hate beards.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Red12b
@Bruce:  
Some people just grow beards, my mate turned 18, he has a full face red beard, looks like long pubes, but still, I would say, after the age of 23 Beards start to grow evenly, and more softer, not the kind of pubish fuzz, 

I am 21 nearly 22, I can grow this mangy red/ginger goatee, the jowls have fuzzy blonde wisps of growth, and my sideburns just grow out and not down, I usually like having stubble and keeping it at stubble, around my lips, just a stubble goatee, it's noticeable, looks groomed, and doesn't look like I am trying to hard,  

Since you have black hair, try that, if you try and grow a Beard, it will just grow in patches, be itchy as fuck, and look like you are trying to grow a Beard when you can't, go with the well groomed stubble, it's the latest craze!  

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Red12b
@Bruce:  
So, just for the sake of being Vain,  
Here are some before and after shots so you know what I mean about no filling and groomed stubble, 

So, this is unkempt, fuzzy, I don't give a shit how I look today fuzz.
 So, this is unkempt, fuzzy, I don't give a shit how I look today fuzz.

Side on showing wispy growth, 1 weeks growth.
 Side on showing wispy growth, 1 weeks growth.

After trim, noticeable stubble, looking ok, not as red, yay.
 After trim, noticeable stubble, looking ok, not as red, yay.
And since you have Black hair, it should be more pronounced as well,  

Ok, I'm done.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oldschool

If we are doing photos, well then, here is my 10 day growth.  Notice the white below, red above  :/ 

No Caption Provided
Oh, and I dyed my hair again - I was bored.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Red12b
@oldschool:  
I don't understand dying of hair, embrace the Viking in you, my Ex used to do it all the time, drove me batty, once she kept it a really nice kind of brown/red colour, I really liked it, then she went blonde again,  
natural all the way,  

also, My dad has that, it's still got colour in places but white mostly, also, go to bed, if you have a work meeting tomorrow, 12:30A.M, tsk tsk tsk :)
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oldschool
@Red12b said:
" @oldschool:  I don't understand dying of hair, embrace the Viking in you, my Ex used to do it all the time, drove me batty, once she kept it a really nice kind of brown/red colour, I really liked it, then she went blonde again,  natural all the way,   also, My dad has that, it's still got colour in places but white mostly, also, go to bed, if you have a work meeting tomorrow, 12:30A.M, tsk tsk tsk :) "
I do go long periods with natural colour - still mostly sandy blonde with grey blended in, but I just feel like a change every now and then.   I am just happy to have a full head of hair at 50.  Most of my peers are bald long before that.

As for bed, yep, it is time.  Up at 6am, on the road at 7am for a 90 minute drive and I have to do about 3 hours worth of presentations, which I have just finalised.   Good-night good sir - and you go to bed as well  :-)