• 68 results
Posted by D-Man123 (58 posts) -

I was thinking about the successful Arkham series and how Rocksteady turned Batman from a laughing stock in the video game industry to a juggernaut. They utilized the Batman mythos and his powers and skillset to create fun engaging gameplay that made you feel like you were the dark knight stalking his prey in Gotham city. Most superhero games that focus solely on one hero turn out to be duds. For every Spider-Man 2, The Punisher, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Wolverine Origins, and Ultimate Spider-Man you have the train-wrecks like X-Men Destiny, Catwoman, Watchmen: The End Is Nigh, the Thor game based off the movie, and just last year the awful TMNT game graced our eyeballs in truly horrific fashion. I believe with the right developer one superhero can get a spectacular game and he is Superman.

No Caption Provided

I'll wait for the collective groin and PTSD flashbacks of the awful Superman 64 game to pass......okay your still hear, now just hear me out. Superman was, by all means, the first superhero and the reason we have superheroes today. If he bombed when he was first debuted back in 1938 we may not have a Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk, or Wonder-Woman today or the concept of superheroes would be very different. I hear the complaints of him being boring and what enemies would he fight since he is for all means invulnerable. Superman is a gold mine of potential for a great videogame he just needs the right ideas and good execution. With all those Superman can get the game he so rightly deserves.

First things first the game would have to be open world as I feel flying around Metropolis as Superman would be fun and entertaining to explore. The antagonist of the game would obviously be Lex Luther or maybe Brainiac or both working in a joint effort to take down Superman. Have them make some type magical or radioactive dome over Metropolis so he could be in a weakened state at all times. Then break everybody out of Stryker's Island so he can have an all of his villains to fight. Another idea is to instead of that have him fight kryptonite based enemies and he has to tackle each of those enemies in different ways based on how the kryptonite effects him. Green kryptonite drains his health and strength so he has to attack from afar with his heat vision, have blue kryptonite around so he can pick them up and get his health back, red kryptonite can nullify his power and he has to rely on stealth, his super intelligence, and investigative journalism skills to get past that missions. There is also other Kryptonians he could fight in the game as well. Have Brainiac restore Kandor to its original size and brainwash them into fighting for them and unleashing chaos or you could just have the Kryptonians not agree with how Superman is doing things. Any one of these ideas could work or a combination of the three could work as well.

There would, of course, have to be more than just fighting in the game. There could be some side missions where he has to save a civilian in time for they die and the more people he saves the more points he gets, which in turn leads to being able to upgrade his powers. Missions could range from stopping car robbers and bank robbers, to having to save people from a falling bridge or stopping fires with your freeze breath. You can even have a meter at the top of the screen that shows how much hope you bring to the citizens of Metropolis and the only way you can keep that meter up is to save metropolitans. I mean the guy has the symbol for hope on his chest for crying out loud I'm sure you could find a way to implement that into the game. Have Mr. Myxlplyx randomly show have Superman do challenges that could mimic the way the Batman AR challenges work that is repeatable. Have Superman use his super senses to help him detect people who might be in trouble and his x-ray vision that helps him mark enemies and see through walls. Another gameplay element could be putting lead walls in some buildings around the city that negates his x-ray vision. Maybe even make the Fortress of Solitude available to go to and have unlockable costumes like the all black suit from when he came back from the dead, his classic red and blue suit, new 52 version, red son suit, and even his 1938 suit from when he first graced comics.

Superman is too important to the Superhero genre, in general, to not have at least one marquee gaming title to his name. The critical success of Batman I feel it's only a matter of time before some developer figures out the key to making a great and enjoyable Superman that really makes you feel like the man of steel. See you guys tomorrow and have a nice day.

No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -
No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Shindig (4935 posts) -

"Superman. You lost all your powers due to an explosion and must regain them one by one."

#3 Edited by FlashFlood_29 (4430 posts) -

@shindig said:

"Superman. You lost all your powers due to an explosion and must regain them one by one."

Uaghhhhhhhhh

Superman is too much in one package. So many other heroes that could use a good game. *cough*

#4 Posted by takayamasama (1547 posts) -

To be a good game the source material you are based on must be good.

Superman is not good. Superman is not interesting. Superman is not entertaining.

Any game using him as the headliner would not do well.

#5 Edited by liquiddragon (3375 posts) -

Yeah, a ton of properties deserve a good game or 2 and maybe it's just a matter of time but it's hard enough making a great game w/o some brand attach to it. It's a real uphill battle but I don't think anyone out there is going, fuck Superman, he shouldn't ever get a good game. lol At least I hope not. And also, didn't Batman have games people liked on the SNES? I don't think it was a laughing stock as you put it. Superman on the other hand, that N64 game is actually what people point to when they talk about a real piece of shit. It might be the reason very few people even think to ask for another Superman title.

#6 Edited by Kevin_Cogneto (1886 posts) -

The only way to make a good Superman game is to have you be Clark Kent 90% of the time. That way, rather than being forced to weaken Superman with Kryptonite fog or whatever, it could be a game where the moment of transformation into Superman is a fun catharsis. After all, that's what's exciting about Superman -- the moment when Clark Kent pulls his shirt open and reveals that S, which is a moment that no Superman game has even attempted to capture.

But in actuality, a Superman game where you're Clark Kent 90% of the time would be rejected wholesale by audiences, which is a shame. I dunno, maybe Telltale could do something in the same vein of their Batman game, but they would have the opposite problem where I doubt they could properly capture the joy and fun of being Superman in that remaining 10%. I don't think it's impossible, but it's probably more challenging than it's worth for most developers.

#7 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

Usually if you have an unpopular opinion, you can still find likeminded people on the internet. But I think the Arkham series is the only place where I actually think I might be the only one who thought Origins was a lot better than any of the Rocksteady stuff.

#8 Posted by Slag (8157 posts) -

I've long felt G.I. Joe not having a great game was the biggest oversight in gaming.

I'd be down for a good Superman game. Kinda feel like any games involving Flying Melee combat is probably real tough to design though and that's kinda Superman's main thing.

#9 Posted by TheHT (15858 posts) -

A day-to-day style Superman game where you do the sort of shit Spider-Man does would do nothing for me. Gotta be a big Justice League level scenario. Alien invasion or whatever.

#10 Posted by glots (4328 posts) -

Well, they tried once at least.

Loading Video...

#11 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

I don't like Superman. The only superhero universe I ever had much of an attachment to was Batman. With that said, I want a sneaky Catwoman game about stealing valuables. A few ideas:

• Drop all the mechanics of Arkham. I want it to have its own style. The cat climbing in Arkham City and Knight wasn't so great because the Gargoyles and such were made for Batman. Make the combat fast and acrobatic, but not so automated. I don't want another beat 'em up like the Arkham games.
  • A little cat sidekick named Isis, who comes with you every now and then and gets into small spaces, navigates security and fetches items for you. She often rests on your shoulders.
  • I've never liked her goggles. I want the mask going around her eyes again, like this. I understand that she wears the goggles to protect her eyes from the wind and other hazards, so I wouldn't mind a different suit with goggles as an alternate skin. I want a more minimalist suit without so much metal and armor padding. I don't wanna see her thong through the leather, and she should pull up her zipper when she's cold.
  • Batman might be your main adversary. I think it would be interesting to see the dark knight from a second-person perspective. I also wanna occasionally play as Selina Kyle, with her gameplay having more adventure elements and featuring some backstory about the heists.

#12 Posted by ZolRoyce (1589 posts) -

I don't have any passion for Superman, but I would be down for a well done game involving him, but as of right now I can't imagine any scenario where it might not get repetitive after a while. I mean, it's Superman, you fly, it has to be open world as you said. At some point I just can't imagine they could make enough side content for it not to drag on. For myself I know I could only save a civilian so many times before screw it, save yourself I don't care!
But yeah, I'm not down on the idea, sometimes it's fun to play a God.

@shindig said:

You sent shivers down my spine with how accurate that probably would be, a kryptonite explosion. It also sent out 100 fragments around the city, go find and destroy them all Superman!

#13 Posted by ez123 (2157 posts) -

I'd take a Saints Row 4 type game that's mostly easy and only challenging moments are with the rogue's gallery. Don't really see why he has to be nerfed or anything like that.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
#14 Edited by Colonel_Pockets (1315 posts) -

Batman slots into "video game stealth character" very well. Superman doesn't really fit into any character. I think it's probably impossible to pull off a great Superman game, but I hope I'm wrong.

#15 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

Injustice is probably the best/only superman game you're going to get

I would either do something like the telltale batman games and have a story focused on clark kent or do something set off planet where everybody is over the top powerful so you don't feel the need to nerf any abilities. They could do something with a super early superman that hasn't discovered all his abilities yet as well.

While i do feel superman is the lamest of all the major superhero's, i do end up watching everything he is involved in so there is definitely something to be done with the character.

#16 Posted by SSully (5631 posts) -

I am still waiting for a WW2 Captain America game. It could be a brawler with some light stealth and shooting elements - but most importantly I want to boomerang my shield between a bunch of nazi's faces. Plus, the game would surely have a mission where you beat the shit out of Hitler, and I think there aren't enough games that offer that experience.

#17 Edited by SethMode (2005 posts) -

I think that Superman at this point has the ability to have some good stories told about him with how people are rethinking him (much more so than Batman, who is basically more invincible than Superman now)...but I don't think the character would make a good game regardless. A Telltale style game would be about the only thing that would work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
#18 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

I genuinely enjoy the character of Superman but you can't make a good Superman game hell they can rarely write a good Superman story. The concessions you have to make to the Superman character in order to give some challenge or work within the limits of what current tech can do just aren't fun.

The best Superman stories aren't about him fighting a big bad but dealing with what it means to have God-like powers and using them responsible to protect his adopted home. You can't really translate that into a fun video game.

Honestly I'd love to see a really kickass Flash game. He's my favorite DC hero not named Batman and I think his super speed could translate to really fun game mechanics.

#19 Posted by fisk0 (6889 posts) -

Yeah, I'm having a really hard time imagining what a good Super Man game would be. I don't think the open world mold that Batman and Spider-Man went for would work all that well for him.

Only things I can really think of would be the Clark Kent focused Telltale model mentioned previously or going all out Akira's Wrath or Bayonetta, just focusing on the ridiculousness of that character and just perpetually raising the stakes until you're battling against the heat death of the universe or something.

#20 Posted by liquiddragon (3375 posts) -

I want to ask Superman fans this or people who know him and hate him: Is Kryptonite an absolute indispensable part of the story? I'm not a comic book guy and I never understood this. I always "hear Superman is lame 'cause he's only weak to Kryptonite" but why can't you just get rid of Kryptonite and make Superman not invincible, just really strong. When I moved to the States, I knew Superman was red white and blue, really strong, sees through walls, and shoots lasers out of his eyes. I thought he just represented the US. I didn't know about the Kryptonite part. I just knew he came from outerspace, kinda like the American version of Goku. Isn't that an interesting enough backstory? I just don't understand why people are stuck on this Kryptonite business. Seems like a perfectly decent superhero that gets so much shit for that reason.

#21 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Technically Superman is also vulnerable to magic and can lose his powers if he can't absorb energy from a yellow sun. Do people really get upset about Kryptonite? It's just a plot device to give a nearly invulnerable character an obstacle to overcome. I guess a lot of people don't like that Superman is pretty much invincible and is rarely outclassed.

#22 Posted by SethMode (2005 posts) -

I want to ask Superman fans this or people who know him and hate him: Is Kryptonite an absolute indispensable part of the story? I'm not a comic book guy and I never understood this. I always "hear Superman is lame 'cause he's only weak to Kryptonite" but why can't you just get rid of Kryptonite and make Superman not invincible, just really strong. When I moved to the States, I knew Superman was red white and blue, really strong, sees through walls, and shoots lasers out of his eyes. I thought he just represented the US. I didn't know about the Kryptonite part. I just knew he came from outerspace, kinda like the American version of Goku. Isn't that an interesting enough backstory? I just don't understand why people are stuck on this Kryptonite business. Seems like a perfectly decent superhero that gets so much shit for that reason.

It's not necessarily a problem, but Superman as a character is tough to write action stories for because he's basically invincible save for things like kryptonite and magic, which get pretty tired after decades of overuse. I feel like Superman has gotten interesting lately because people have started to look into the "human" side of him rather than just raising the action stakes. Most action stories just equal a Goku-style "Oh shit Superman is more powerful than everyone but no wait here's this thing that makes him weak but no wait just kidding he persevered and won!" That sort of thing. It CAN work, but like I said, I think a lot of people are just tired of it.

#23 Posted by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -
Loading Video...

There's a cool little monologue from Kill Bill Vol. 2 from the titular Bill that describes why Superman is a neat character. It's a shame so few writers get Superman.

#24 Edited by cmblasko (2940 posts) -

A strategy/resource management game where you play as Superman and must decide which tragedies to respond to and how. You have a public perception rating that you must keep above a certain level. If it falls too low, Superman leaves earth and the game is over.

#25 Edited by D-Man123 (58 posts) -

@cmblasko: I think that this is a great idea and would be a better way for you to feel like Superman going and choosing who to save over other people. Instead of leaving Earth he could just give up being Superman and that's how you lose as well.

@liquiddragon: Kyrptonite isn't involved in all of Superman's stories and I think many people who complain about that don't really understand the point of his character. Superman to me is meant to inspire and make me want to be better. Kinda like how how Captain America does on marvels side. Will we ever be able to do the things he can do no, but he makes you wanna stand up for whats right in the world. An alien that understands humanity better than most humans and I love it.

#26 Edited by D-Man123 (58 posts) -

@shindig: Good god I would cry if they did this in a superman game

Also fun fact Kyrptonite was also not made up in the comics, but buy a radio show so the voice actor for Superman could record a handful of lines so he could take a vacation.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
#27 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (7832 posts) -

I still don't believe it's even possible. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

What's up Rocksteady? ;)

#28 Posted by Shindig (4935 posts) -

Superman: A Telltale Series.

#29 Posted by s10129107 (1508 posts) -

@shindig said:

Superman: A Telltale Series.

This guy is right, the only way a Superman game can be good is by doing a story driven series. Superman's powers are ridiculous so a brawler wouldn't work. The dichotomy between Clark and Superman is interesting though and it would be interesting to put him in bad situations and make him make decisions.

#30 Edited by Zleunamme (1042 posts) -

@ssully: That game already exists. If another Captain America game is made. It is doubtful Disney wants Nazis featured in the game.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for nietzschecookie
#31 Edited by NietzscheCookie (122 posts) -

Maybe something less ambitious than open world would be better. I could see some sort of super fast paced Panzer dragoon mashup with Asura's Wrath style over the top QTE boss fights.

#32 Posted by mems1224 (2505 posts) -

I would rather see an Arrow or Flash video game. Superman super sucks

#33 Posted by mems1224 (2505 posts) -

@cmblasko: that actually sounds pretty amazing. I'd totally play that

#34 Edited by Castiel (3475 posts) -

It might be possible to make a good Superman game but I just don't have any interest in Superman as a character. He's just too perfect. You wouldn't create a character like Superman today. He is very much a product of the time he was created and the character hasn't aged well in my opinion.

But there was multiple references to Superman in Arkham Knight so that might be Rocksteady's next game. Personally I would rather see Rocksteady make something completely new. Something that isn't a superhero game. But the Arkham games presumably sold pretty well and WB wants to make more money so maybe Rocksteady doesn't have a lot to say in that regard. I just think a Superman game would be a waste of Rocksteady's talent.

#35 Edited by DystopiaX (5803 posts) -

@ezekiel said:

I don't like Superman. The only superhero universe I ever had much of an attachment to was Batman. With that said, I want a sneaky Catwoman game about stealing valuables. A few ideas:

• Drop all the mechanics of Arkham. I want it to have its own style. The cat climbing in Arkham City and Knight wasn't so great because the Gargoyles and such were made for Batman. Make the combat fast and acrobatic, but not so automated. I don't want another beat 'em up like the Arkham games.
  • A little cat sidekick named Isis, who comes with you every now and then and gets into small spaces, navigates security and fetches items for you. She often rests on your shoulders.
  • I've never liked her goggles. I want the mask going around her eyes again, like this. I understand that she wears the goggles to protect her eyes from the wind and other hazards, so I wouldn't mind a different suit with goggles as an alternate skin. I want a more minimalist suit without so much metal and armor padding. I don't wanna see her thong through the leather, and she should pull up her zipper when she's cold.
  • Batman might be your main adversary. I think it would be interesting to see the dark knight from a second-person perspective. I also wanna occasionally play as Selina Kyle, with her gameplay having more adventure elements and featuring some backstory about the heists.

Have wanted a Catwoman game for awhile as well. Would prefer with seeing more stealth-focused gameplay where you can fight if you get caught/fuck up, instead of the Arkham loop where there are clear "predator" stealth-ish rooms and clear brawler rooms. Probably would have a couple strict combat encounters but for the bulk of the game it'd be more interesting if the game let you choose how you wanted to solve each conflict instead of clearly shoehorning you towards one method or the other like the Arkham games did.

Rather than having Batman as a main antagonist I think it would be more interesting from a story/character perspective if he plays the sometimes adversary, sometimes partner type role that they frequently have going on. DC also has enough interesting characters/villains that I think it would be interesting to see more of them/more minor ones in a game as well, so I wouldn't want only 1 antagonist/major villain, especially since Batman has been featured in so much stuff (hated that Joker "came back" in Arkham Knight for the same reason, like have enough confidence in your shit to not feel like the Joker needs to be there to sell copies, or something)

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
#36 Posted by Redhotchilimist (2963 posts) -

I'd never want Rocksteady to make this. It could turn out like giving superman the Nolan treatment. But I dunno. An open world game could be cool, but what I actually imagine is a linear action game like Platinum's, set in different villain hideouts or whatever across the world. Or a fighting game, or any of the Dragonball games. Unless you've come up with some amazing way to make rescuing civilians fun, then it's not gonna work out.

#37 Posted by ToxicFruit (1922 posts) -

@s10129107:my thoughts exactly. I think the telltale game format would be perfect for superman.

BTW has anyone played that Batman telltale game ? how did that turn out ?

#38 Posted by Rigas (828 posts) -

I'd never say making a good game about something is impossible, because it's not. A good dev can make a great game about anything. On the surface I see a lot of people saying Superman is boring, too powerful etc. They are mostly talking about storylines I guess, Now i've read a lot of bad stories but there are some really great Superman stories.

There are good stories out there for Superman, we know that. For the sake of argument, let's put story aside and focus on gameplay. For gameplay people think his powerset is impossible to adapt. Now granted Supes has had some crazy power levels over the years, but the "Oh no you have lost your powers! here punch these men to regain them" is hackneyed and bad.

You can of course start him at a lower power level, basic flight, low power heat vision etc, but stripping him of his powers outright is a bad idea. Through experience and progression you can increase these powers and unlock new abilities. His character kinda doesn't lend itself to open world. It's hard to imagine Superman just wandering the streets beating up randos, or chasing balloons, but it can work.

There is also a whole Clark Kent being a reporter aspect you can go after.

Also everyone dismissing Superman out of hand, there are plenty of stories to read, or great Superman episodes of Justice League etc that you are missing out on. Give it a chance you might surprise yourself and i'd be happy to recommend some if you want.

#39 Posted by AlexW00d (7572 posts) -

Groin flashbacks are the worst fam.

#40 Posted by SethMode (2005 posts) -

@toxicfruit: I have played 4 episodes and really liked the story they're telling so far. That being said, it's a Telltale game so it runs like absolute ass (at leaset, on Xbox One).

#41 Edited by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

@dystopiax said:
@ezekiel said:

Have wanted a Catwoman game for awhile as well. Would prefer with seeing more stealth-focused gameplay where you can fight if you get caught/fuck up, instead of the Arkham loop where there are clear "predator" stealth-ish rooms and clear brawler rooms. Probably would have a couple strict combat encounters but for the bulk of the game it'd be more interesting if the game let you choose how you wanted to solve each conflict instead of clearly shoehorning you towards one method or the other like the Arkham games did.

Rather than having Batman as a main antagonist I think it would be more interesting from a story/character perspective if he plays the sometimes adversary, sometimes partner type role that they frequently have going on. DC also has enough interesting characters/villains that I think it would be interesting to see more of them/more minor ones in a game as well, so I wouldn't want only 1 antagonist/major villain, especially since Batman has been featured in so much stuff (hated that Joker "came back" in Arkham Knight for the same reason, like have enough confidence in your shit to not feel like the Joker needs to be there to sell copies, or something)

I like those ideas. With how popular stealth-action, sex appeal and Batman are, I'm surprised there has never been a game like this. It's a shame that we only ever get a Catwoman game when a Catwoman movie comes out, meaning pretty much never.

#42 Posted by DonChipotle (3521 posts) -

To be a good game the source material you are based on must be good.

Superman is not good. Superman is not interesting. Superman is not entertaining.

Any game using him as the headliner would not do well.

Superman is great. Superman is interesting. Superman is entertaining. A good game using him as the headliner would do well.

#43 Posted by OurSin_360 (6177 posts) -

@bartok: I remember this vividly, so random but detailed breakdown of superman as a all powerful being pretending to be human. I wouldn't mind a superman written or directed by tarantino

#45 Posted by Rigas (828 posts) -

@liquiddragon: Usually I've found these responses are from people who haven't read much or any of Superman and are going of some abstract formulation of Superman in their minds. He had many weaknesses, not just Kryptonite. Magic like someone stated. You can also just be stronger or faster than him. When they killed him off in 1992, it wasn't magic, or Kryptonite, it was just a monster that was stronger than him. It beat him down until he couldn't get up.

If your interested, read All-Star Superman. It was a 12 issue run, now collected into a graphic novel format. If anyone reads that and still thinks Superman is dumb and pointless, then I dont know what to say.

#46 Posted by Shindig (4935 posts) -

"Superman vs the Bottle."

#47 Edited by D-Man123 (58 posts) -

@rigas said:

@liquiddragon: Usually I've found these responses are from people who haven't read much or any of Superman and are going of some abstract formulation of Superman in their minds. He had many weaknesses, not just Kryptonite. Magic like someone stated. You can also just be stronger or faster than him. When they killed him off in 1992, it wasn't magic, or Kryptonite, it was just a monster that was stronger than him. It beat him down until he couldn't get up.

If your interested, read All-Star Superman. It was a 12 issue run, now collected into a graphic novel format. If anyone reads that and still thinks Superman is dumb and pointless, then I dont know what to say.

All-Star Superman is great a great book to read if you're looking for a good Superman story. Superman Birthright is another good Superman story for folks out there that may sway your opinion of him.

#48 Edited by burncoat (558 posts) -

@rigas: All-Star Superman could really be made into a game. There's enough action and interesting moments in that series that could really work well in a videogame. Hell, the whole "steathily protect Luthor while keeping your identity a secret" segment might actually be fun to play.

Also I could totally be down for a Superman Simulator type game like the Farming simulator games (just more entertaining). Having all the powers and trying to keep Metropolis and the world safe has got to be super difficult. Some people might call that boring but to really experience exactly what it is to be Superman without dumb Kryptonite gas, time limits, depowering deus ex machinas, or rings dragging that experience down. People loved Saints Row 4 for how well the powers felt and I love to feel overpowered in a videogame (going ham with console commands in Skyrim and Fallout is my jam).

The problem is we've never had an unshackled Superman game so there's no way for people to say it's fun, only to theorize that because you could possibly do anything with his powerset it'd have to be boring. All Superman games so far have never made you feel more than just some Superman doll a kid is moving through the air making whoosh sounds.

#49 Edited by TrulyAlive (1178 posts) -

How about a Telltale Superman game? That way you don't have to make it too big or flashy but you cut down to Superman's true weakness: He can't save everybody.

Even though Superman can't fix all the worlds problems, a story focusing on him persevering in the face of that very literally inability to be in multiple places at once and finding an optimistic perspective sounds like just about the only interesting take on both a Superman game and a Telltale game I can think of today,

#50 Posted by korwin (3918 posts) -

Wouldn't a "Good new Superman game" require a "First good Superman game'?