A UK duder visiting Nashville, Tennessee. Any tips?

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By bibamatt

Hey GB buddies. So I'm a UK member and I'm taking a very last minute trip to Nashville next week for work. I literally just found out about it. I'm there for six days and, as someone who's only visited the States when I went to Disney World as a kid, I'm pretty excited! So, of course, I'll be working, but I'm hoping to have some time to explore, too. Any forumers got any hot tips or must-do things to help me? Thought it was worth asking as this is the most America-centric community that I'm involved with! Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

American girls love dudes with british accents. That's all I'll say.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never been to Tennessee so all I'll say is: Get BBQ!

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bibamatt

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

One of my biggest fears of visiting Nashville. I'm a vegetarian. *gulp*

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Castermhief117 said:

I'll chime with "keep the accent, but add 'y'all' to the end of every single sentence". Confuse the shit out of them.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ThePickle

Everyone plays some sort of instrument.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Wampa1

@bibamatt: You can just be a vegetarian in the UK then! Sorted, trust me eating large quantities of meat in a different time zone totally doesn't count...

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bibamatt

@ThePickle said:

Everyone plays some sort of instrument.

This is the best 'fact' I've ever heard about anywhere ever. Ha!

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe
@bibamatt said:

@insane_shadowblade85 said:

Then you'll probably starve to death. Nashville does have some amazing BBQ, though.

I was there a little over a year ago for vacation. It's a pretty nice place, though admittedly there's not much for me there. A lot of places have live music all the time, and in the city there are a ton of street musicians, most of whom I assume are actually just homeless people.
I will say that you should check out the Parthenon if you get a chance. That place is pretty neat. Don't really know what else there is. Most of the places I ended up while I was there were restaurants and bars.
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Canteu

Trade your knife for a revolver.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bibamatt

@Wampa1 said:

@bibamatt: You can just be a vegetarian in the UK then! Sorted, trust me eating large quantities of meat in a different time zone totally doesn't count...

Sounds legit.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Levio

@bibamatt said:

You can order a beans-and-rice burrito at Chipotle. Luby's also has veggie dinners, but there's none in Nashville

Kingfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kingfalcon

Got family who live just outside Nashville and have been there many, many times. Do you like hockey or think you might? If so, check to see if the Nashville Predators are in town. And, actually, anywhere downtown around Bridgestone Arena is a good time. And yeah, it's a shame you're a vegetarian because Nashville has some amazing BBQ. I believe the "Loveless Cafe" is well-renowned. I ate there around Thanksgiving and it was quite good!

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By MildMolasses

@Kingfalcon said:

Got family who live just outside Nashville and have been there many, many times. Do you like hockey or think you might? If so, check to see if the Nashville Predators are in town. And, actually, anywhere downtown around Bridgestone Arena is a good time. And yeah, it's a shame you're a vegetarian because Nashville has some amazing BBQ. I believe the "Loveless Cafe" is well-renowned. I ate there around Thanksgiving and it was quite good!

As a Canadian, I find your recommendation to someone from the UK to see a hockey game in Nashville to be quite surreal.

Kingfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kingfalcon

@MildMolasses said:

@Kingfalcon said:

As a Canadian, I find your recommendation to someone from the UK to see a hockey game in Nashville to be quite surreal.

Hahaha. I bet. Believe it or not, though, Nashville is pretty into hockey. They call the arena "Smashville."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By cornbredx

I haven't lived there in years, so take this for what it's worth, but when I lived there there was a lot of great restaurants (both big name restaurants and locally owned ones). It shouldn't be hard to find something to do really if you're into music or just hanging out in general. There's a nice mall there too.  A lot of sports bars. 

I used to like going to the hockey games. Their team is awful but they still usually put on a pretty decent show (at the time at least).  Also pretty easy to go to a concert out there, most bands play there at some point being that its a popular music town.

I can't remember anything else, but downtown Nashville is alright. 
Sorry, i don't have much specific- it's been almost a decade. There used to be a hard rock cafe there, but I have no clue if those still exist or not.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By MildMolasses

@Kingfalcon: If I were really into it, I would be angry about Nashville for stealing Mike Fisher away from my town, but I don't actually care that much

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By jonnyboy

Bring me back a bottle of JD. Thanks mate.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By Slag

@bibamatt:

Nashville is a town of great bars. You'll see music acts in small places that you'd have to pay good money to elsewhere. I'm no fan of country music but the scene there is pretty awesome.

The Grand Olde Opry is out in the 'burbs, but the downtown is where the fun bars and such are at to my knowledge.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bibamatt

@Kingfalcon said:

Thanks for these tips! I'd actually love to see a hockey match. I'm a (casual) NBA fan and, seeing as basketball is more-or-less non existent where I live, I would've loved to see some basketball but it seems that Nashville doesn't have much going on with that, right?

@CornBREDX said:

I used to like going to the hockey games. Their team is awful but they still usually put on a pretty decent show (at the time at least). Also pretty easy to go to a concert out there, most bands play there at some point being that its a popular music town.

Thanks for the tips! Music stuff is all sounding good. I actually work in the music industry (the reason I'm going), so I imagine some concerts and stuff will be on the cards.

@Levio said:

@bibamatt said:

You can order a beans-and-rice burrito at Chipotle. Luby's also has veggie dinners, but there's none in Nashville

Cool, thanks! I've done a tiny amount of research and it seems like there's actually a bunch of veggie and veggie-friendly places. Compared to places I've been in, say, France, it actually seems not too scary. I'll be staying in a house with a load of friends anyway, so I won't be relying on BBQ places every night! I'll be doing some cooking probably.

Avatar image for midnightsandwich
midnightsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By midnightsandwich

Hook up with Dixie Carter.

colubroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By colubroid

Accents are cool and I love the way the rest of the world pronounces aluminum. There is one word I suggest learning the correct pronounciation.

There ain't no 's' or 'y' in appalachian.

Kingfalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kingfalcon

Happy to help! And you're right, no NBA action in Nashville. If you're up for a drive, you can get down to Atlanta in four hours. Although then you have to watch the Hawks play :).

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By awesomeusername

@bibamatt: Look for a girl named Miley Cyrus and make her put on a blonde wig! Then make her sing as a person named Hannah Montana!

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@Castermhief117 said:

Not all British accents are sexy.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Coombs

@MildMolasses said:

@Kingfalcon said:

My thoughts exactly.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

Mumps, Etc. was a pretty disappointing album

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By downloaded

They probably have some sort of visitor's center. I would say the best thing to do would be to walk around town looking at things that interest you/asking people what they find to be great about Nashville, and if you want more info just head for the visitor's center.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By anarchyzombie9

Nashville is kind of filled to the brim with tourist trap bullshit. Still a fun city if you care about like country music or anything like that.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By JasonR86

Tell everyone that you're a homosexual Muslim. Then they'll welcome you with open arms. Trust me.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jams

@JasonR86 said:

Tell everyone that you're a homosexual Muslim. Then they'll welcome you with open arms. Trust me.

Only if you ask to get corn-hole'd

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#32  Edited By JasonR86

@hidys said:

@Castermhief117 said:

Not all British accents are sexy.

Crikey.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By Tireyo

I live in Tennessee, but I've never been in Nashville... just on the outskirts once. I could tell you a little bit about a few neat places to visit in Pigeon Forge and Ober Gatlinburg, but you ain't gonna be nowhere near there! Nashville is gonna have plenty of Country Music, though that isn't the birthplace of Country Music! Bristol, TN is.