Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

I'd put this in the football thread, but I figured it's mainly only filthy europeans round those parts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/fifa-president-sepp-blatter-announces-resignation/story?id=31473282#.VW3zEHtCoJU.twitter

Is ABC generally a reliable news outlet?

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I got the same announcement from the BBC so I think it's safe to say it checks out. The king is dead!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I like that you come to Giant Bomb to ask if ABC is a reliable news outlet instead of just looking at other news outlets to check if they're reporting the same thing :D

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twigger89: Except the guys that literally just re-elected him will be electing someone equally corrupt.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grtkbrandon: Duder let us have a minute of joy before the cold shower of reality washes over us. Plus even if we get someone corrupt but a little less corrupt it is a move in the right direction.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

I guess I should clarify: I know Blatter is gone, I've been following the story for hours! It was the part specifically about him now being investigated by the FBI. That's why I wanted an American perspective on ABC. When I lived in the US I only watched RAW :/

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twigger89: Oh, I'm sorry. I'll go back to the corner. Please come get me when you're ready!

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grtkbrandon: You ruined the mood but it's ok, it wouldn't have lasted long anyway. It looks like Platini is considered the favorite to replace Blatter and I've heard he is pretty shady himself. Can any Europeans (or anyone who more closely follows UEFA) fill me in on that or is it just internet bs?

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twigger89: He may well be favourite, yes, if he puts himself up. He has been very outspoken against Blatter. But he also voted for the World Cup to take place in Qatar. Take that for what you will...

I'd personally vote for Figo, if he throws his hate back in the ring, as he dropped out of the running for president the first time, stating that it was a non democratic process, and so as to not split the for Prince Ali bin Hussein.

SJQPersonal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SJQPersonal

ABC is owned by Disney. While their channel is impossible to watch, their news is reasonable. It's all they've got.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@gregorygold: The Traditional Networks generally are reasonably reliable (ABC, CBS, NBC), as mainstream and as "official" news as we have anyway.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah cool! Thanks duders! Feeling more optimistic the FBI might take the toad down, then.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
@slag said:

@gregorygold: The Traditional Networks generally are reasonably reliable (ABC, CBS, NBC), as mainstream and as "official" news as we have anyway.

Except when it's Dan Rather or Brian Williams reporting!

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gregorygold: I think it's slightly naive to think Blatter is only now being investigated by the FBI.

At least I really, really hope it is.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm not sure how you would do it, but I think Switzerland, where teh headquarters of FIFA is located should assign an appointed executor to oversee FIFA for three years while everyone is investigated. After the "diseased wood" is burned out, with the organization 'worst apples' gone they can go on with tighter scrutiny.

I think the more likely and slower solution, is for major FIFA counties to keep rounding up these thieving idiots until most of the crooked ones decided there are easier ways to steal money...like the Olympics. Eventually, all the scrutiny and being dragged into count will wear-thin on these fools.

As others have said, the key is the sponsors. If you cut off the corporate cash flow from Adidas, Coca-Cola, Gazprom, Hyundai/Kia Motors, Visa, and Budweiser that would stop things. (Wait....Gazprom? FIFA is sponsored by fucking Gazprom! Isn't that run by Vladimir Putin cronies now, they do all sort of shady shit - well, like our own oil industry with associated military-industrial-complex aims?) Anyway, if they cut off funding things could clean up faster even if Adidas, Coca-Cola, Gazprom, Hyundai/Kia Motors, Visa, and Budweiser are all cocks too.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

@pcorb: My feeling was that if they had anything concrete on him, they would have done him before the election. But, it looks like they may have been waiting for his underlings to turn on him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/sports/soccer/sepp-blatter-to-resign-as-fifa-president.html

"Mr. Blatter had for days tried to distance himself from the controversy, but several United States officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that in their efforts to build a case against Mr. Blatter they were hoping to win the cooperation of some of the FIFA officials now under indictment and work their way up the organization."

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The FBI really get a bee in their bonnet over this kind of corruption, don't they? It's as if David Simon knew what he was talking about when he made The Wire.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#19  Edited By Slag

@slag said:

Except when it's Dan Rather or Brian Williams reporting!

ha true! Well played sir.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Now John Oliver has to drink a Bud Lite Lime. Hah!

Also as someone who couldn't give a rats ass about soccer even I knew that shit was corrupt like man how did he stay in control so long?