Actual Play Podcast Recommendations?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Having listened through all of Austin's Friends at the Table actual play RPG podcast I was wondering if anybody has recommendations for any other good ones? I have been looking all over for a good ones but I can't seem to find any. I've also been looking for one that does a Arabian Nights style campaign as well so any one like that would be a bonus.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By odinsmana

Drunks and dragons is a really good one. They have a good mix of story/role playing and silly goofs. The early parts of the podcast are a bit rough, but they have actually started making abridged versions of those so you can get the best bits and most important story beats and get up to speed quicker. One player can also be pretty annoying, but they solve the problem before too long.

They also have a side feed called Random encounters where a couple of people from the main podcast are joined by guests and do mini (or not so mini) campaigns in a lot of different settings (for example Fiasco,The secret of Cats and Sailor moon). It`s good and if you really like the main show I would reccomend checking it out.

I also enjoyed The adventure zone for a while, but I stopped listening to it a while ago. For some reason it didn`t do it for me anymore. Still worth checking out for yourself.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a while since I've caught back up but I was a big fan of Six Feats Under.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

One Shot and Campaign. They do a great blend of humor and drama and almost never break character. It's done largely by chicago based improvers and it definitely shows. I would say to start with the early stuff for One Shot. Feng Shui, Scooby Cthulhu, and Everyone is John is some of the best stuff they've done. Otherwise jump around and listen to what interests you, most of it is good. You can also get right into campaign, but there's a few set up episodes of One Shot.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only two I've listened to are Nerd Poker (Brian Posehn) and The Adventure Zone (McElroy folks).

Nerd Poker was fun because they had a botch rule where if you roll a 1 it means you fuck yourself up like, you swung your sword into your own leg or something and can even end up killing yourself.

I don't actually know if Nerd Poker is still going but both seemed pretty good. Just to note these are both D&D.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only two I've listened to are Nerd Poker (Brian Posehn) and The Adventure Zone (McElroy folks).

Nerd Poker was fun because they had a botch rule where if you roll a 1 it means you fuck yourself up like, you swung your sword into your own leg or something and can even end up killing yourself.

I don't actually know if Nerd Poker is still going but both seemed pretty good. Just to note these are both D&D.

They stopped, but I think they recently did a live episode for Howl.fm.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No recommendations for any Arabian Nights style campaigns?

austin_walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely want to co-sign The Adventure Zone and Six Feats Under!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Do yourself a favor and check out The Adventure Zone. One of my favorite podcasts, pan genre.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No recommendations for any Arabian Nights style campaigns?

I'm honestly not sure what that means. If you could elaborate a bit I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconded on the McElroy's Adventure Zone. Everytime I think it starts to lose my interest they try something new and interesting (or just plain incredibly hilarious) and it's great.

You also get to hear Griffin improve as a GM and the brothers / dad improve as players, which is satisfying.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely want to co-sign The Adventure Zone and Six Feats Under!

Hey Austin thanks for the recommendations.

@yi_orange You know, like a campaign set in a world similar to the stories in One Thousand and One Nights. Desert kingdoms, flying carpets, djinn, magic lamps, ghuls, Sinbad, Aladdin ect. Or something like Prince of Persia.

Has anybody tried Tales from the Litch? I listened to one of their episodes last night and it seems pretty fun.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Major Spoilers Critical Hit is great, their campaign is well over 300 episodes now and has been going for YEARS!

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshth

I asked Austin essentially this on Twitter almost a month ago now. Someone responded with The Adventure Zone, so I started listening to that and got caught up after about two weeks of intensive listening. It was good and often very funny. I tried to start Campaign but have yet to really get into it.

My issue is I want one that captures FATT balance of taking itself seriously while also having fun and making goofs, but perhaps that's what makes FATT special.

I'll start giving Six Feats Under a listen now.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Immunity

The Adventure Zone is really good as people have mentioned. If you're interested in some similar stuff in video form, I'd recommend watching Critical Role. It's a bunch of voice actors playing D&D and it's the best D&D thing that I've watched. It works well as audio only, but the video adds a lot.

secondFANFARE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bringing up an old thread as I have recently been listening to Austin's Friends at the Table podcast. Love it!

A suggestion from me would be to check out Red Moon Roleplaying; they play the upcoming game "Kult: Divinity Lost" which is based on the Apocalypse World-engine. Compared to most other actual plays it's a lot more serious and story-focused. The sound quality is great and set to a dark ambient soundtrack by Atrium Carceri. Check it out!

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By BBAlpert
@secondfanfare said:

Bringing up an old thread as I have recently been listening to Austin's Friends at the Table podcast. Love it!

A suggestion from me would be to check out Red Moon Roleplaying; they play the upcoming game "Kult: Divinity Lost" which is based on the Apocalypse World-engine. Compared to most other actual plays it's a lot more serious and story-focused. The sound quality is great and set to a dark ambient soundtrack by Atrium Carceri. Check it out!

Out of curiosity, which season (of FatT) are you listening to? (and have you finished any of the seasons yet?)

secondFANFARE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: I finished "Autumn in Hieron" most recently, have been catching up on some other shows before starting the next! Really enjoyed how the story ended and the atmosphere Austin created.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#20 sweep  Moderator

I'll jump on the Adventure Zone bandwagon. Tis good.

I tried Friends At The Table but I couldn't get past the terrible mic quality of half the players. I find that too distracting. There's also the obvious disconnect of there being a lot of people in a single skype call, and the awkward pauses and clashes that come with that.

I listened to Harmonquest for a long time but I gave up because Dan Harmon loves the sound of his own voice a little too much for my tastes. Also he married one of his cohosts and then they got divorced a few months later and it bleeds into the podcast, which is depressing as fuck. However there's a bit around the 100 episode mark with Kumail Nanjiani which is fantastic.

Ghostface318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ghostface318

Critical Role just finished their first campaign. It’s a bunch of video game and cartoon voice actors who started streaming their game after playing at home for quite a while. It’s on YouTube as video, but also now out as a podcast.

The cast being actors leads them to focus on role play over combat tactics in some instances, but it’s often hilarious, sometimes heart-rending, and often surprising. There are several clips of the funnier moments on YouTube if you want to sample, and some fun guest players.

Oh, and they do eventually spend time on a continent that is Arabian-inspired, if that’s of interest to you.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'd watched the first 20 episodes on Youtube last year before I dropped off. Didn't know that they had a podcast version - I'll definitely check that out.

Critical Role just finished their first campaign. It’s a bunch of video game and cartoon voice actors who started streaming their game after playing at home for quite a while. It’s on YouTube as video, but also now out as a podcast.

The cast being actors leads them to focus on role play over combat tactics in some instances, but it’s often hilarious, sometimes heart-rending, and often surprising. There are several clips of the funnier moments on YouTube if you want to sample, and some fun guest players.

Oh, and they do eventually spend time on a continent that is Arabian-inspired, if that’s of interest to you.

RandomRedshirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Word on the street is that Facebooks "Ask a pathfinder" Michel K. who also works with Guy... Creator of "Bacon Battalion", Have reached out to Roll Mongers Actual Play podcasts to put together an Ametuer/pro up and coming podcast crew with players, all from different podcasts to produce a brand new podcast that has an Arabian Nights vibe....casting and pre-production has already started in Jan 2018! So fingers crossed they upload something soon...

Passingthrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Glass Cannon podcast. Hands down bar none the best actual play podcast there is. It’s that good.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BladedEdge

Ok. I've listened to a good 400+ hours of Actual plays, so I will give links to what I believe to be the biggest actual play website existing, and the others I know about.

First off, check Role-playing Public Radio . They have an absolutely astonishing amount of content. Like, 10+ 40-50 hour campaigns over as many systems. They have pod-casts for every genre in existence. For example, check their sister-site RPPR Tabletop tales campaign list. And note its Gurps, and 2 seasons of the Dresden Files (which uses fate).

Then have a gander at The main sites campaign list and realize just how much content there is. I can especially vouch for Know Evil and The Brutalists/Fallen Flag. Caleb Stokes is an amazing Gm and an amazing player and makes those games absolutely amazing story-telling experiences.

Also realize that campaigns are not all they do, there are vast numbers of one-shots for 20-30 different systems. Some they do a lot of (Call of Cuthulu) some they just try out once.

I will specifically point out my absolutely favorite sub-series. They are not connected but a man named Adam Scott Glancy, a scenario writer for Call of Cuthulu, has run 10 or Call of Cthulhu games for the cast and they are hands down my favorite one-shot material. If you also enjoy listening to detailed diatrabes of WW1 trivia, they are amazing. He's got one with a crew of bombers in WW1, he's got one with a german sub, he's got one set on a zepplin. All very carefully detailed, all amazing.

Aside from that, I realize everything else I've listened too doesn't come close. Seriously, if you like Actual play and can't find a single thing on RPPR that strikes your fancy, well good luck finding stuff I havn't yet.