Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joelwmusic

This is the Top 100 Greatest American Movies Endurance Run based on this list:

http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

I did it. I watched #100 on the list and, good lord you guys, that was freakin' awesome. Ben Hur had so much going for it. I got about halfway through it before I figured out what was making it feel so impactful. The moments of silence. I don't know if this is accurate or not but movies nowadays don't let moments breathe like this movie does. So much staring but the tension is so good. Sure, that's probably why the movie is 4 hours long. That and the 20 minute overture. As a Christian I feel kind of ashamed that I've never seen this before as it ties so closely to my faith, but I think the movie stands on its own and I didn't start this list to preach to anyone. I have more thoughts but I kind of want to see where the discussion goes. Did anyone watch or have any thoughts that you can remember about it?

RonnieBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I adore that ultrawide aspect ratio.

Ringedwithtile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not too big of a fan, but I like it as an example of 50's Hollywood excess. I'm not religious, so its last section didn't really get to me dramatically, it was a little to lavish to really come across as spiritually compelling. The chariot sequence is of course wonderful though; just excellent use of physical movement and wide screen photography.

I prefer the silent adaptation of Ben-Hur personally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

One of my favorite movies. Charlton Heston is simply amazing at everything he does. If you liked him in this, then you have to watch the Ten Commandments. Also, watch The Omega Man and Soylent Green, great examples of 70's sci-fi cheese.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I'm not a religious guy in the traditional sense, but let me say that Ben-hur is one of my favourite movies of all time. I watch it every year.

The sets are spectacular, the colours are vibrant, the music is legendary, and the acting is just raw power... "I know this man..."

The chariot race is extremely thrilling I think too. Little known fact is that Sergio Leone is one of many unit directors in that scene, which, for obvious reasons, was a living nightmare to create. But man did they knock it out of the park.

I like your point about silence. This is a movie that really relishes the power of images. Lots of close ups of faces in extreme emotion.

In a way it's shame this is #100. Can't start the show with the showstopper! But boy howdy, still some good flicks to see.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

One of my favorite movies too. It's a cliche but that chariot scene has to be one the craziest things ever filmed.

joelwmusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moving on to #99! A movie I was old enough to see upon its release. I'm about to re-watch Toy Story!

joelwmusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not much to say about Toy Story. I never realized Joss Whedon helped write it. So that kind of blew my mind. I still adore Toy Story. I was laughing at every little thing again like I did when I was 6. But I'm ready to keep going to see movies I haven't seen. Which means it's time for Yankee Doodle Dandy with my first view of Blade Runner close behind.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toy Story is a fine movie. I loved it as a kid, but most of that was the novelty. It was the first CG movie I'd seen, and it just looked so different and cool. Without that factoring in, it's just a pretty good movie.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

My lifelong memory of Toy Story is "You've Got a Friend In Me". As a kid, it was impressive for its look. Especially compared to CG in games at that time! Hot diggity! As an adult, I find it a simple movie, from a simpler time, with a heartwarming message. I don't have kids yet, but, if and when I do, I'd think that's one of the movies on their must-watch list.

joelwmusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never noticed how much the humans also looked like toys. Especially SId's sister *shudder

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By OldGuy

Whatever else you think of it Ben Hur was awesome because of the chariot race - they built a full size stadium and filmed all of it for real (since CGI was not a thing) - and save for about 2 shots Chuck was driving. Which leads to one of my favorite quotes... Heston was concerned about the shoot and Yakima Canutt, who was the stunt coordinator running the thing, said to him: "You just stay in the chariot; I guarantee you'll win the damn race."

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my favorite movies. Charlton Heston is simply amazing at everything he does. If you liked him in this, then you have to watch the Ten Commandments. Also, watch The Omega Man and Soylent Green, great examples of 70's sci-fi cheese.

Don't forget Planet of the Apes.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@bribo: Or Touch of Evil and The Three Musketeers (1973) if you're not looking for cheese.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bribo: Or Touch of Evil and The Three Musketeers (1973) if you're not looking for cheese.

Mexican Chuck Heston might be too high a barrier for some, but if you can overlook that, Touch of Evil is an amazing film.