#1 Posted by joelwmusic (15 posts) -

I'm watching the Top 100 Movies according to this list:

http://www.filmsite.org/afi100films_2007.html

I would like to have some conversations about them as I go. Why is it on the list? Does it still work today? What makes it good? Stuff like that.

I'm starting at 100 so over the next week or so if you can carve out a chunk of time please watch Ben Hur

P.S. if you don't have time to watch and/or rewatch that doesn't mean you can't chat in here. I just don't want to be alone. Lol

P.P.S. My start date is hinging on whenever my girlfriend finishes binging Orange is the New Black, but based on her dedication we should be able to watch the first movie this weekend.

#2 Posted by RetroMetal (870 posts) -

Holy crap man, you are going to do all 100?

That's hardcore.

How would you get access to many of those?

#3 Edited by joelwmusic (15 posts) -

renting on Amazon. 4 dollars. can download on phone at work. got a hookup to play on tv. Not the greatest solution but it will do.

Also, I have no Idea how long this will take. I don't want to draw it out too long but i can't see me doing more than 1 or (MAYBE) 2 a week.

#4 Posted by RetroMetal (870 posts) -

Those are all available on Amazon? That's cool.

Sounds like a big undertaking, good luck!

#5 Posted by joelwmusic (15 posts) -

Don't know about all of them, but I will try and track down other means if that doesn't work.

#6 Posted by Luchalma (537 posts) -

Looking at the list, I've seen 36 of the movies. I've got a ways to go.

#7 Posted by liquiddragon (3291 posts) -

Looks like I've seen half of them. Do you not like to watch foreign films? Lists like these are always pretty silly given how many "classics" there are but an international list is almost certainly a time better spent.

#8 Posted by Captain_Insano (3483 posts) -

No Fast and the Furious? This list is not legit.

I've seen 43 of these.

#9 Posted by JPPT1974 (121 posts) -

That list needs some updating. It is ten years old.

#10 Posted by joelwmusic (15 posts) -

Yea I was tired of waiting on a possible 20 year anniversary list.

#11 Edited by Ringedwithtile (100 posts) -

I haven't seen Sophie's Choice, but I've seen the rest. This seems like a pretty cool idea, I hope you find some new favorites!

In my opinion it's not the best list, I think a decent fraction are pretty staid films that aren't really held in super high esteem anymore.

#12 Posted by Luchalma (537 posts) -

@ringedwithtile: Which ones, out of curiosity? Not trying to start anything, I just like talking movies.

#13 Posted by Ringedwithtile (100 posts) -

@luchalma:Yankee Doodle Dandy, Sophie's Choice, Swing Time, Forrest Gump, The African Queen, Shane, a few others. Not trying to say they're bad movies or anything, it's just that they stick out a bit. I like Swing Time more than most, but the only reason it's on there is because they wanted a Fred and Ginger film.

Discussing the validity or importance of a list like this is good to do, though. The canon of American films deserves to change a lot, because looking at the list, there's mostly just financially successful studio films. By its own metric Avatar should totally be on there.

#14 Posted by damnboyadvance (4197 posts) -

There's only one movie on the list from this century. Have movies become that bad? Maybe we just haven't had a chance to develop an appreciation for recent films.

#15 Edited by Cirdain (3797 posts) -

@joelwmusic: Hiya, I've seen all of them, Ben Hur is a long film so be prepared for that. Maybe have a break when the intermission card pops up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
#16 Posted by deactivated-5a0917a2494ce (1350 posts) -

Oh geez, I couldn't imagine doing this. Most of these movies are dramas and depressing, and I hate being depressed. However, it looks like i've seen 60 of these movies. I can't believe some of these are on the list. . . Titantic . . . Sixth Sense. . . ugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
#17 Posted by deactivated-5a0917a2494ce (1350 posts) -

There's only one movie on the list from this century. Have movies become that bad? Maybe we just haven't had a chance to develop an appreciation for recent films.

Just like with games, I like to give about 10 years before saying something is one of the best of all time. Also, yes, movies have gotten far more generic and dull over the last 10 years; there are exceptions of course.