• 60 results
so1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By so1337

I tried to make a supercut of Dan saying "Frietza" over and over, but that didn't seem like it made for a great video so I made this monstrosity instead.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

Mama mia! That's a good-a Frizza.

No Caption Provided

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As an Italian American, I think the proper spelling should be "Frizza", as in Chaser's comment above.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ohh good ol Dan Rickerts

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Friet means fries in dutch. So Everytime dan mentions it i see a frie with purple spheres on it.

so1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

As an Italian American, I think the proper spelling should be "Frizza", as in Chaser's comment above.

The proper spelling of what? lol

@soulcake said:

Friet means fries in dutch. So Everytime dan mentions it i see a frie with purple spheres on it.

French Frietza.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Vinny and Alex’s genuine confusion during Gaiden the Ring was very funny to me. I guess you gotta give Dan credit for committing to a bit, no matter how bad it is.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@milkman: Considering that Dan said Florida Leaf (instead of fleur-de-lis), I'm not sure if it's a bit or not.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaff: I think in this case it is, but you're right it's hard to tell. We're talking about a guy who can't wrap his mind around grilled cheese sandwiches.

so1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think it's a bit aimed specifically at Dragon Ball fans who tend to be very particular and very opinionated.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But they say his name in the English dub several times.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man, the Kai dub must have changed some things. Coulda sworn it was Freeza in the original dub...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@gaff: I mean when he's having a conversation with Jeff on the podcast and Jeff will repeatedly and clearly say Freeza, multiple times in a row, and then Dan right after him still says Frietza, I don't know. It's not an imperceptible difference, it's a very conscious effort to not say Freeza.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By avantegardener
No Caption Provided

Florida Leaf..

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just wait until they get to the Maudlin' Boo saga.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't think it's a bit. Dan picks a pronunciation and adamantly sticks with it, even when literally every other source tells him it's incorrect. Also see: Epona.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wjb

I think it's Old Dan creeping up. He tries new things, but has to intentionally mispronounce names because he's afraid he'll sincerely like anime too much outside DBZ, lol.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pronunciation is baffling. It's a tv show and they say Frieza's name a bunch. Dan's heard people say it constantly the only way its ever been pronounced. It's not like he's only ever seen the name in writing or something. I kinda get a kick out of it just because i've never heard someone say it that way. (And Frieza would absolutely hate it.) It's just such a weird bit.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@justin258 said:

I don't think it's a bit. Dan picks a pronunciation and adamantly sticks with it, even when literally every other source tells him it's incorrect. Also see: Epona.

Tbf, I do that sometimes if it's something I've been saying for years and didn't know better until it had already become habit. Like, I still often pronounce "Hylian" as "Hill-ian", even now knowing it's wrong, because it feels more natural after so many years. It's hard to break long time habits, especially when you don't really care to.

So I can understand Dan stubbornly sticking to his pronunciation of Epona if he's been reading it a certain way for years without correction. But you don't build that kind of habit in a week, with half the Internet and the source itself immediately correcting you. Dan's doing it on purpose.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BladedEdge

I find the fact that people know Dan's doing it on purpose..and yet don't realize that he is either A-Trolling or B-Simply decided he is going to say it that way and no amount of complaining will change his mind funny. Why people are still trying to correct or not just accepting that its how its gonna be and moving on, is beyond me.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan "Fire is 2 syllables" Ryckert is at it again.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Justin258

@zeik: Fair enough, though if it is a bit, he needs to stick with it for every villain. Pronounce Cell with a hard c, like kale, and Majin like mage-inn.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find the fact that people know Dan's doing it on purpose..and yet don't realize that he is either A-Trolling or B-Simply decided he is going to say it that way and no amount of complaining will change his mind funny. Why people are still trying to correct or not just accepting that its how its gonna be and moving on, is beyond me.

Because the best way to enjoy the bit is to have fun playing along. That's how we get gems like OP's video!

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris: I will admit, you've got me there.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladededge: I think it’s because unlike all other humor on the site, that sort of trolling is done at the expense of the audience rather than WITH the audience. It’s kinda immature to continue a bit simply because you know it agitates others. It’s not a huge deal or anything but historically the GB crew has always been very inclusive with its humor and this isn’t.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MiniPato

@humanity said:

@bladededge: I think it’s because unlike all other humor on the site, that sort of trolling is done at the expense of the audience rather than WITH the audience. It’s kinda immature to continue a bit simply because you know it agitates others. It’s not a huge deal or anything but historically the GB crew has always been very inclusive with its humor and this isn’t.

It's not a big deal, but you saying that it's done at the expense of the audience and isn't inclusive humor over mispronouncing a fictional purple alien's name makes it sound like you think it's a big deal. I don't see how it's different than Ryan saying "suh-word" or "robit." How is it at the expense of the audience? Because a small minority of hardcore self serious Dragon Ball fans bust a gasket over mispronouncing names? If Dan is genuinely enjoying Dragon Ball Kai, why do people think there is some malicious intent behind some playful ribbing of the character names?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: Dan is much more of an active troll than anyone else on the site. I wouldn't call it malicious, it's mostly in good fun, but he relishes getting a rise out of people and admits to that. That's different than casually mispronouncing something just to be cute.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MiniPato

@zeik said:

@minipato: Dan is much more of an active troll than anyone else on the site. I wouldn't call it malicious, it's mostly in good fun, but he relishes getting a rise out of people and admits to that. That's different than casually mispronouncing something just to be cute.

Who are the people genuinely getting mad at him mispronouncing Frieza? I wanna see some hands. Are these the people who are upset at them deciding to watch Kai and watching the previews? Are these the same people who get mad in every quick look that they're playing the game wrong? Who are these people? Why are you going to bat for this imaginary demographic of people who are apparently deeply offended at him mispronouncing a DBZ character's name?

If Dan decided to watch my favorite show or play my favorite game and was genuinely enjoying it enough to make a dedicated weekly podcast to talk about it, I wouldn't get worked up over something so trivial as mispronouncing a name for a goof.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: yeah, they also changed big Green's name to piccolo for whatever reason. Can't wait till they get to when frietza goes nucalar.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat said:

Dan "Fire is 2 syllables" Ryckert is at it again.

It depends what dialect you're using, but it can either be a one or two syllable word.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: I'm not going to bat for anyone. I'm just pointing out your Ryan comparison is flawed. The motivations are different. I personally don't really care, but it's not hard to recognize that Dan's troll-y behavior comes from a much more antagonistic place, and there are going to be people that don't appreciate that. I'm sure even Dan is aware of that.

so1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By so1337
@quantris said:
@bladededge said:

Because the best way to enjoy the bit is to have fun playing along. That's how we get gems like OP's video!

Calling it a "gem" is a little much but thank you! Also, I couldn't agree more.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MiniPato

@zeik said:

@minipato: I'm not going to bat for anyone. I'm just pointing out your Ryan comparison is flawed. The motivations are different. I personally don't really care, but it's not hard to recognize that Dan's troll-y behavior comes from a much more antagonistic place, and there are going to be people that don't appreciate that. I'm sure even Dan is aware of that.

Yes, just as Jeff realizes there are anime fans who don't appreciate "anime is for jerks." Or Final Fantasy fans who don't appreciate them making fun of their favorite games. Or them making fun of their audience for wanting more endurance runs. They have had trolly sense of humor before Dan joined. Acting like he's wildly off brand for Giantbomb is some selective memory going on.

Again, Dan is loving Dragon Ball and is loving talking about it. The people who get mad at him for mispronouncing Frieza's name do not deserve your defense or consideration.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: well here is the situation from another point of you. Would you actively do something to annoy one of your friends, because it made you laugh that they got annoyed by it? And would you continue doing so even when they would ask you to stop just because it was funny to you? If yes, then there is a difference of opinion here that we won’t ever agree on and we can go our separate ways without wasting anymore time on the issue.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MiniPato

@humanity said:

@minipato: well here is the situation from another point of you. Would you actively do something to annoy one of your friends, because it made you laugh that they got annoyed by it? And would you continue doing so even when they would ask you to stop just because it was funny to you? If yes, then there is a difference of opinion here that we won’t ever agree on and we can go our separate ways without wasting anymore time on the issue.

A small minority of strangers on the internet are not my friends. And guess what, Vinny thinks its hilarious. Jeff made a Frietza Motorsports joke and has not corrected Dan at all. Alex corrected Dan and then proceeded to play along with the joke conceding that Dan is an anime expert. Most people who listen to All Systems Goku thinks its funny or no big deal. So given those circumstances where my real friends are playing along and think its funny, yes I would keep doing it. And you know what? If I had friends who would get genuinely mad at me over something as innocuous as a pronunciation of a fictional purple alien from Dragon Ball Z, then I don't want to be friends with them because they seem like the type of person who takes everything way too seriously and swear at their team mates in videogames if they don't play it good enough.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: Fair enough that’s your point of view on it and you’re entitled to it.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By xanadu

You guys are down here arguing about the pronunciation of Freeza and I'm up here going, "Actually it's Kuriren instead of Krillen." Soo....yeah.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Of course, unless it was something mean spirited. Honestly if you can't jokingly mess around with people they probably aren't your friends to begin with IMO. Also Dan's not our friend(besides the few of you who may know him in person), doesn't force anybody to watch his content, or keep watching it if they get "annoyed". I mean it's an anime podcast with jeff and dan, 2 people who have adamantly talked shit about anime in the past. I think jokingly pronouncing a few ridiculous names is about as tame is it gets.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MiniPato

@xanadu said:

You guys are down here arguing about the pronunciation of Freeza and I'm up here going, "Actually it's Kuriren instead of Krillen." Soo....yeah.

We're arguing about whether or not Dan's pronunciation is a big deal, not what the correct pronunciation is. We all agree the correct pronunciation is "Freetza."

DISCLAIMER: To all the Frieza's of the world, this is just a joke. This is a joke website about videogames. I meant no offense or malicious intent.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: *Raises hand* I exclaim at least once per episode that it's Freeza. It's annoying and not funny.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Sure, I'm just generally against doing things with the singular intent of annoying others because why? That said, obviously different people have different takes on the matter so it is what it is - for some it's a needless annoyance while for others it's a fun joke.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I don't care that he mispronounces Frieza. I care that he is doing it with the intent of genuinely annoying fans (the exact people that would be drawn to the podcast). It's funny once but doing it continuously on purpose is annoying. That's it; just annoying. But annoying is his schtick and I can stop listening whenever I want, so :shrug

Edit: Then again, they have been having some fans really annoying then continuously with e-mails they have already responded about so I could see it being sort of a retaliatory thing lol

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dan broke kayfabe (I just watch anime so I don't know if I'm right using kayfabe) slightly during the gaiden the ring segment of the video, around 1:35-ish.

Just as Vinny likes to poke fun at Dan with the "cock pit" he's poking fun at us with the Frietza saga.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: his intent is pure speculation on your part though, he may just find saying frietza funny.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MiniPato

@flashflood_29: @defaultprophet:

How are you guys getting so annoyed over a little goof? Is Dan not allowed to make jokes anymore because yall have decided everything he does is a troll? Is it not enough that he is giving a chance to something he and Jeff have written off in the past? Is it not enough that he's finding real enjoyment out of the show and looks forward to talking about it every week with Jeff? Him and Jeff are both earnest about the show and both really enjoy it and enjoy talking about it. Jeff said he hates Vegeta's voice, that's already gonna piss off fans. Hell, people are still mad they're watching Kai instead of Z. Those DBZ fans who don't know Giantbomb are gonna get mad anyways.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@xanadu said:

On that note, it still cracks me up that Final Fight's/Street Fighter's Rolento is actually supposed to have been Laurence/Laurent, but now it's Rolento forever even though that's a completely nonsense name that they didn't properly localize.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato: because it’s annoying. No one on the show or who talks about the show says freetza except Dan. He’s been corrected by Jeff on the show, by Vinny, by Alex, and probably by listeners of the podcast and continues to do it not out of ignorance but out of spite. It’s not clever, it’s not cute, and it’s not a funny or inside joke. It’s just dumb and annoying

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MiniPato

@defaultprophet said:

@minipato: because it’s annoying. No one on the show or who talks about the show says freetza except Dan. He’s been corrected by Jeff on the show, by Vinny, by Alex, and probably by listeners of the podcast and continues to do it not out of ignorance but out of spite. It’s not clever, it’s not cute, and it’s not a funny or inside joke. It’s just dumb and annoying

Vinny thinks its hilarious. Jeff doesn't care. Alex concedes that Dan is the anime expert. Dan hosts a Dragon Ball podcast. I'm pretty sure he knows how to pronounce Freetza.