Am I the only one who hates Anime?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

I dont understand why it is so popular, its just an art style with spiky hair and way too feminine men, i suppose i get why 10 year olds like it because its what pokemon is but there are adults who are fascinated with it! Its become way too big a trend, like crocs or long hair for guys, there is no reason for it! Ever time i walk into a book store there is a whole freaking section devoted to this stuff and how to draw it!

And because of it, half of all RPGs i see are based on Anime, rarely do we see an RPG like Fallout or KOTOR because they are all Final Fantasy style with magic and things.

Im just wondering if there is something im missing? Is there something amazing about it that i simply dont get?

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Commando

Anime was something that I liked when I was younger. When I was in 3rd-5th grade I liked Pokemon. When I was in 5th grade through 8th grade I liked Dragonball Z. Then I liked YuYu Hakusho for like a year. 

Now you say it's popular? I don't think it's popular. Only a few groups of people, mostly gamers, like Anime. That's a pretty small percentage of people. I don't consider that popular.
Pokemon was an exception. Everyone used to like Pokemon. The cool kids liked it, the weird kids liked it, and the nerds liked it. But they mostly liked the game and the cards, not the TV show.

I don't like it anymore. I think I grew out of it. It's more of a little kids thing with a small high school fanbase, and even fewer college students.

I occasionally watched it when I was in high school, but I haven't even looked at it in college.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael
@Mikemcn said:
"I dont understand why it is so popular, its just an art style with spiky hair and way too feminine men, i suppose i get why 10 year olds like it because its what pokemon is but there are adults who are fascinated with it! Its become way too big a trend, like crocs or long hair for guys, there is no reason for it! Ever time i walk into a book store there is a whole freaking section devoted to this stuff and how to draw it!"
Anime is not "an" art style(technically it doesn't have anything to do with art styles at all, but I'm not gonna go into that) -- there are countless art styles in anime, many of which have neither spiky hair nor effeminate men. What you're talking about is generic anime -- you shouldn't generalize and assume that all anime is the same.

And seriously, you can't say that you hate anime. That's like saying you hate music -- there are so many different kinds of anime, you can't seriously hate(especially considering that you probably don't know about most of them) them all.
dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By dopeman

"Anime is for jerks"

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Crono

No, you are not alone.  I too think it is very poor style and do not see any appeal in it at all.  Also in response to Icemael and his effeminate man icon (I am joking with you here :), I have yet to see any anime I do like therefore I can say that I hate all the anime I have ever seen and using these statistics I can safely assume this trend will continue for anime I have yet to discover.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
@Icemael said:
" @Mikemcn said:
"I dont understand why it is so popular, its just an art style with spiky hair and way too feminine men, i suppose i get why 10 year olds like it because its what pokemon is but there are adults who are fascinated with it! Its become way too big a trend, like crocs or long hair for guys, there is no reason for it! Ever time i walk into a book store there is a whole freaking section devoted to this stuff and how to draw it!"
Anime is not "an" art style(technically it's not even an art style, but I'm not gonna go into that) -- there are countless art styles in anime, many of which have neither spiky hair nor effeminate men. What you're talking about is generic anime -- you shouldn't generalize and assume that all anime is the same.

And seriously, you can't say that you hate anime. That's like saying you hate music -- there are so many different kinds of anime, you can't seriously hate(especially considering that you probably don't know about most of them) them all.
"
What he said.

You just can't look at one or two anime series and then be so quick to judge anime as a whole.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 71Ranchero

The misconception is that anime is defined by spikey hair and males that arent exactly masculine. Thats true if you think american TV anime is all anime. There is a large amount of anime that does not fit in this catagory, in fact alot of it is film quality stuff but animated.

So if your asking if others hate spikey haired, girly man anime? Then yes, I hate it. However, I dont hate the good ones =)
birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By birchman

How can you hate anime? It doesn't seem...valid to hate. Now I am not a big fan of anime, but saying you hate a form of comic just sounds silly.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Nasar7
@Mikemcn said:
" rarely do we see an RPG like Fallout or KOTOR because they are all Final Fantasy style with magic and things.

"

"Magic and things" is an element of the fantasy genre, a la Final Fantasy. If you don't want a fantasy rpg, there are plenty of sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, and modern era ones. As for anime, it's a form of entertainment, just like live-action tv shows and video games. You can dislike it but there's really no need to bash it.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Crono

So you don't hate any sort of band?  You don't hate any kind of TV show?  There isn't any kind of genre of movie you would never watch?  No genre of book you would never read because you detest its subject matter?  You see what I am getting at here?  It is easy to say you hate something specific like that, anime included.  I hate anime.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By birchman
@Crono:  No, it's really odd to hate something like that. You can dislike something sure, but hate? Hate is a quite strong word, and saying you hate something like anime just sounds silly.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Icemael
@Crono said:
" So you don't hate any sort of band?  You don't hate any kind of TV show?  There isn't any kind of genre of movie you would never watch?  No genre of book you would never read because you detest its subject matter?  You see what I am getting at here?  It is easy to say you hate something specific like that, anime included.  I hate anime. "
Anime is not a genre. That's like saying "movies" is a genre.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crono

So you must say "I do so dislike Alpha Protocol ever so much!" for example.

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By phlegms

Nope I hate it too.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crono
@Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
" So you don't hate any sort of band?  You don't hate any kind of TV show?  There isn't any kind of genre of movie you would never watch?  No genre of book you would never read because you detest its subject matter?  You see what I am getting at here?  It is easy to say you hate something specific like that, anime included.  I hate anime. "
"
Anime is a genre of comic.  It is Japanese comic.  Japanese comic.  Japanese in this statement is used as an adjective to describe comic.  Comics are to movies what manga is to action movies.
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Fallen189
@Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By birchman
@Crono: That seems quite overdone. Saying you hate something as big as anime just sounds stupid, like saying that you hate fruit because you don't think it tastes good.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cloneslayer

when was the last time you saw an american drawn cartoon with half as good story as most anime?

ya there is a lot of crap anime out there, but there is also a lot of crap movies, music, tv and whatnot.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemael
@Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
Anime is a genre of comic.  It is Japanese comic.  Japanese comic.  Japanese in this statement is used as an adjective to describe comic.  Comics are to movies what manga is to action movies. "
First off, anime is animation. Manga is comics. I get what you mean though, and I have to disagree. The location in which something is produced doesn't qualify as a genre. Anime has all the genres that exist in live-action movies and TV shows, so my argument still stands -- saying "anime" is a genre is like saying that "books" or "movies and TV shows" are genres. If you say that you hate generic anime, action anime or thriller anime, sure, I can accept that. But saying you hate "anime" as a whole is just stupid.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Crono
@_Horde said:
" @Crono: That seems quite overdone. Saying you hate something as big as anime just sounds stupid, like saying that you hate fruit because you don't think it tastes good. "
Ok, I get your opinion on the matter.  You don't seem to have much more to contribute so I thank you for your time.  Enjoy disliking things.  I will continue to hate.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Crono
@Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
Anime is a genre of comic.  It is Japanese comic.  Japanese comic.  Japanese in this statement is used as an adjective to describe comic.  Comics are to movies what manga is to action movies. "
First off, anime is animation. Manga is comics. I get what you mean though, but I disagree. The location in which something is produced doesn't qualify as a genre. Anime has all the genres that exist in live-action movies and TV shows, so my argument still stands -- saying "anime" is a genre is like saying that "books" or "movies and TV shows" are genres. If you say that you hate generic anime, action anime or thriller anime, sure, I can accept that. But saying you hate "anime" as a whole is just stupid.
"

So would you call Family Guy anime since anime = animation?  No.  Anime is Japanese animation.  Therefore it is still a genre.  A genre in animation.  Thanks for clearing that up for both of us.  Now you understand me!
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallen189
@Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
Anime is the Japanese word for cartoon. Research your statements pal.
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cloneslayer
@Crono said:
" @_Horde said:
" @Crono: That seems quite overdone. Saying you hate something as big as anime just sounds stupid, like saying that you hate fruit because you don't think it tastes good. "
Ok, I get your opinion on the matter.  You don't seem to have much more to contribute so I thank you for your time.  Enjoy disliking things.  I will continue to hate. "
wow, that doesn't sound close minded and dick-ish.

i guarantee you, if you took your time and had someone to guide you, you could find a anime that you would love. like I said above, there is a lot of crap anime, you just have to have a friend who is willing to wade through that crap for you just like I did (I yet somehow I still watched Evangellion, that piece of shit).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icemael
@Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
First off, anime is animation. Manga is comics. I get what you mean though, but I disagree. The location in which something is produced doesn't qualify as a genre. Anime has all the genres that exist in live-action movies and TV shows, so my argument still stands -- saying "anime" is a genre is like saying that "books" or "movies and TV shows" are genres. If you say that you hate generic anime, action anime or thriller anime, sure, I can accept that. But saying you hate "anime" as a whole is just stupid.
"
So would you call Family Guy anime since anime = animation?  No.  It is Japanese animation.  Therefore it is still a genre.  Thanks for clearing that up for both of us.  Now you understand me! "
Let me quote myself: "The location in which something is produced doesn't qualify as a genre". Oh, and thanks for not reading the rest of my post -- you know, the important part.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

It seems that people are just too quick to see anime as that thing with the spiky haired boys and the tentacle rape. i'd love to see  a live action thriller on tv even come close to the quality of say something like Monster. as Icemael said... Anime is not a genre its just a word to lump japanese animation together  to make it easily digestable for the general public. It also seems that a lot of people can't accept is as anything other than a joke or for children because it is animated.

But Giant robots fighting and a man dressed as a bat are for adults.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crono

Ok so you do call Family Guy anime?  And everyone would agree with you if you said that to them?  When someone says Anime to you, you are primarily thinking of Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park etc.  You are not thinking of primarily Japanese animations?  You lump everything under the umbrella of "Anime?"  I take it?  So I can safely say Family Guy is an anime and everyone would be able to understand that no questions asked and no berating?

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dopeman said:
" "Anime is for jerks" "
zing
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Icemael
@marioncobretti said:
" It seems that people are just too quick to see anime as that thing with the spiky haired boys and the tentacle rape. i'd love to see  a live action thriller on tv even come close to the quality of say something like Monster. as Icemael said... Anime is not a genre its just a word to lump japanese animation together  to make it easily digestable for the general public. It also seems that a lot of people can't accept is as anything other than a joke or for children because it is animated.But Giant robots fighting and a man dressed as a bat are for adults. "
Yeah, Monster is a great example of manga/anime that has neither spiky hair, effeminate men or OMGOVER9000LAZORS. Instead, it has realistic artwork and an(equally realistic) story that's both involving and deep. Few books and live-action movies can compare to Monster.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By EvilTwin
@Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
You're talking about "manga" not anime.  Manga is a Japanese comic.  It is also not a genre.  "Shonen" is a genre.  Shonen is the genre that encompasses pretty much any anime you've seen on TV.  So, I would accept that you don't like shonen. 
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sabata
@Crono: Are you dumb or something?  Family Guy is a cartoon.  Anime is a Japanese cartoon.  Neither cartoons nor Japanese cartoons are "genres."  A genre is something like Action, Comedy, Romance, Mystery, etc.  Cartoons/Anime is just another form of entertainment, like music, movies, and the like.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Bigandtasty

Of course you're not the only one.

And yes there are a lot of generic anime and it gets tiring but there are still a few unique series I like.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Crono
@Sabata said:
" @Crono: Are you dumb or something?  Family Guy is a cartoon.  Anime is a Japanese cartoon.  Neither cartoons nor Japanese cartoons are "genres."  A genre is something like Action, Comedy, Romance, Mystery, etc.  Cartoons/Anime is just another form of entertainment, like music, movies, and the like. "
So Jpop in music isn't a genre?  It is just "music" to you and not classified as anything.  Don't fall back on "no, it is just pop" because it is called Jpop, not pop.
herreno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By herreno

Some people just dont get anime. Me being one of them.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By 71Ranchero

Hmm, Im trying to find the spiked haired girly men and big breasted chicks with pink hair.....cant seem to find it....must not be anime then.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sabata
@Crono said:
" @Sabata said:
" @Crono: Are you dumb or something?  Family Guy is a cartoon.  Anime is a Japanese cartoon.  Neither cartoons nor Japanese cartoons are "genres."  A genre is something like Action, Comedy, Romance, Mystery, etc.  Cartoons/Anime is just another form of entertainment, like music, movies, and the like. "
So Jpop in music isn't a genre?  It is just "music" to you and not classified as anything.  Don't fall back on "no, it is just pop" because it is called Jpop, not pop. "
Yes, Jpop is a genre.  But Jpop =/= anime so I don't know why you bring it up.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Icemael
@Crono said:
" Ok so you do call Family Guy anime?  And everyone would agree with you if you said that to them?  When someone says Anime to you, you are primarily thinking of Family Guy, Simpsons, South Park etc.  You are not thinking of primarily Japanese animations?  You lump everything under the umbrella of "Anime?"  I take it?  So I can safely say Family Guy is an anime and everyone would be able to understand that no questions asked and no berating? "
READ MY FUCKING POST BEFORE YOU REPLY. I explained why anime doesn't qualify as a genre, and I also explained why saying that you hate "anime" as a whole is stupid. Why do you simply disregard that part of my post, and keep repeating yourself? I said "anime is animation", not that "animation is anime". There is an important difference.

Thank you, have a good day.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icemael
@Crono said:
" @Sabata said:
So Jpop in music isn't a genre?  It is just "music" to you and not classified as anything.  Don't fall back on "no, it is just pop" because it is called Jpop, not pop. "
Jpop is a genre. "Japanese music", on the other hand, is not a genre. Therefore, "Japanese animation" isn't a genre either.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By AhmadMetallic

absolutely hate it and find it corny and distasteful

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond

Dumb to hate.  As others have stated it's not a 'genre'.  It'd be like saying 'I hate videogames'.  There's a lot of shitty anime, and I haven't seen any anime I consider really great for years, but generalizing like that is fucking dumb.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Steve_C

This stereotyping of anime is just like saying all videogames are nothing but violence and shooting people in the face.

From experience, a lot of these people won't take a valid argument either, so it's generally pointless to try and convince them otherwise. Some people like to remain ignorant.

EDIT: And to the TC, you just haven't been looking at the right stuff. Anime on TV tends to be of the shonen variety which i avoid, but if you look around there are a ton of styles and a lot of interesting stuff.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fallen189

This is getting very out of hand very fast.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#42  Edited By KamasamaK
@Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Crono said:
"
"
So would you call Family Guy anime since anime = animation?  No.  Anime is Japanese animation.  Therefore it is still a genre.  A genre in animation.  Thanks for clearing that up for both of us.  Now you understand me! "
Using "is" does not necessitate an equivalence relation; it can also refer to being a subset. In that sense, anime is a subset of animation. However, being Japanese only specifies the country from where the content originated and does not describe the content itself. Saying you hate something like that is almost a slight against the country instead of the content and is about as valid as saying you hate things created on a Tuesday.

EDIT: As for some interesting trivia, Family Guy is or at one time was animated in Korea. Even though that doesn't make it anime, I think it shows that it doesn't matter where a show is made.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#43  Edited By sjschmidt93

I love anime, but no, I guarantee you most of America hates anime, maybe not people on a site like this though since games and anime/manga run pretty close to eachother.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fr0br0

Fuck you, DBZ is awesome. And I suppose those other more intricate and deeper series are alright too...

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Diamond
@SJSchmidt93 said:
I guarantee you most of America hates anime,
I guarantee you if you asked most of America what their opinion on anime was, they'd say "what's anime?"
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGremp

Among gamers/nerds etc., Anime is very popular...  But it's pretty much a joke in most social circles.  I'm pretty much the only gamer, geek and anime fan in the entire state of Kansas, and everyone here is rather ignorant about Anime.  The second they hear the word they'll either think of it like an old Kung Fu movie with the cliche'd translation lip sync thing, or think of it all as the stereotypical Anime. "I WILL DEFEAT YOU" "NO I WILL DEFEAT YOU" "HAHA" "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH" "KAME....HAME.....HAAAAAAAAAAAA" *japanese cute face*

*sigh*...  Sometimes the ignorance of the world's population worries me.  Almost everything and everyone has some kind of extreme, incorrect stereotype.  People are too close-minded to try things out that aren't mainstream.  For instance, I listen to metalcore, and people are too sucked into the incredibly incorrect stereotype of a metal band to give it a shot.  People instantly think "They're just saying 'WRAH WRAAAAAAAAAH'" because that's what the media tells them.

Anyways, I digress....  Somehow I went from the subject of anime to my personal hatred for more than half the population of the planet. ^_^
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ryanwho

Its stereotypical and ignorant to assume everyone has an extreme stereotype. Good job eating your own tail, there.

Also, everything? Like my toaster and my cat? Make sense.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PowerSerj
@TheGremp said:
" Among gamers/nerds etc., Anime is very popular...  But it's pretty much a joke in most social circles.  I'm pretty much the only gamer, geek and anime fan in the entire state of Kansas, and everyone here is rather ignorant about Anime.  The second they hear the word they'll either think of it like an old Kung Fu movie with the cliche'd translation lip sync thing, or think of it all as the stereotypical Anime. "I WILL DEFEAT YOU" "NO I WILL DEFEAT YOU" "HAHA" "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH" "KAME....HAME.....HAAAAAAAAAAAA" *japanese cute face*

*sigh*...  Sometimes the ignorance of the world's population worries me.  Almost everything and everyone has some kind of extreme, incorrect stereotype.  People are too close-minded to try things out that aren't mainstream.  For instance, I listen to metalcore, and people are too sucked into the incredibly incorrect stereotype of a metal band to give it a shot.  People instantly think "They're just saying 'WRAH WRAAAAAAAAAH'" because that's what the media tells them.

Anyways, I digress....  Somehow I went from the subject of anime to my personal hatred for more than half the population of the planet. ^_^
"
I like you :3
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By TheGremp
@ryanwho said:
" Its stereotypical and ignorant to assume everyone has an extreme stereotype. Good job eating your own tail, there.

Also, everything? Like my toaster and my cat? Make sense. "
Almost Everyone/Everything.  And how is it stereotypical to say that almost everything has a stereotype?  Exactly what stereotype do I fit?  You don't even fucking know me.  How can you decide on my stereotype just by reading a single post on a forum?  By the way, when I said "Everything", I mostly meant forms of media.  I figured that would be obvious to anyone with common sense.

@PowerSerj: :3
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50  Edited By Hamst3r
@Mikemcn said:
"its just an art style with spiky hair and way too feminine men

Im just wondering if there is something im missing?"

Yes. A lot.