Amazaon Prime Storage vs Google Photos vs Dropbox

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So if you heard the news, Amazon Video is now available outside of the US. So it finally made sense for me to get prime. At the same time, i've been paying Dropbox and Google Photos, mostly for the extra storage to keep my pictures in full size. Amazon offers free video and photo storage for prime members. Any point in keeping all 3? I will have top upload everything to Amazon but would like to save the money.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Depends on preference. I'd see if you like Amazon's user interface before dropping either.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jay_ray

@mtfikhan: Depends on preferences but Google photos has some good tools that amazon doesn't. I don't know what plans you have for either but Amazon also gives unlimited storage for everything for $60 (not including the prime membership) which kind of kills any reason to pay dropbox anything unless you need more then the free 5GB for work or something. If price is the biggest factor Amazon is the best.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By gkhan

Honestly I use Dropbox for one single reason: Dropbox only does this, and basically nothing else. If I'm going to pay for cloud storage to back up all my important shit, I'd prefer to not do it to Google, Amazon or Apple. I'm too scared that they will either drop this feature at some point, or lock me into their ecosystem (I don't even know if Apple's cloud storage thing has a Windows client, but even the suspicion that they might not, or might not in the future, is enough for me to not want to use it).

With Dropbox, you know you're going to have clients on every platform imaginable, and you know that it's not going away unless the company folds (which might have been a concern with Dropbox a few years ago, but it's a solid enough now).

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Really like Amazon Photos/CloudDrive (got Prime for Video and delivery, enjoying getting a free sub in Twitch, monthly book on Kindle, and limited but better than nothing music streaming - considering Spotify/Apple/Google/etc services cost 50% more just for music than the entire of Prime, the music streaming has a lot of stuff, if not everything you want).

I've been using it to backup my complete RAW/negatives archive and share the occasional snaps. So that's pushing up towards 100GB of archived negatives. Which is a great freebie service, especially as I don't think there's really a hard cap so I can continue to just upload all the shots (including negatives) I want to save.

I doubt it'd pay for it alone. But as part of the Prime package, it's totally worth using that free space to upload all your photos and make sure you're backed up. I wouldn't pay Google just to get unlimited high quality uploads when Amazon are totally replacing that as part of your Prime package. Dropbox seems good for non-photos, as you're only going to have 5GB of non-photo storage on the Prime package so this really will only be useful for archiving photos.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use all three services for different reasons, but I don't see a lot of value in paying for all three.

I do pay for Prime, so I use Amazon's service to back up all my photos, and I have a free Dropbox account for transferring things more easily between platforms. Google has a bunch of my cell phone pictures as a result of their cloud backup feature on my phone, but the moment they ask me to upgrade for more space is the moment I go in and remove most of those photos.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I let google backup my photos on my phone with their "reduced quality" or whatever that means. I generally only use it for email attachments and nobody is printing them anyhow. For high quality storage I use Amazon's service. The tie in with their print service makes sense for me and they have sales on books/prints/etc often enough that I feel OK about the whole thing. I'm really annoyed that Plex stripped Amazon out of their streaming server setup, so I'll have to pay for OneDrive, Google or Dropbox probably fairly soon. :-(

kolta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use Google Drive and Google Docs. There's a lot of space there. I get 115 GB from Google.