America, portion sizes are killing

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

our wallets.  One of my most favoritest food items is the Fast Food Pizza, which is made by topping a cheese pizza with two cheeseburgers, two crunchy tacos, 12 chicken nuggets, a 'large' order of french fries, and a 'large' order of chow mein noodles.  I'm going to prove to you that American restaurants are overcharging on the meager amounts of food they give us by making this delicious food item with store bought products and another with restaurant products.  We will then compare the prices, and I'll prove to you that they do infact charge too much.

First, let's start with my shopping list for the homemade Fast Food Pizza.  We have:

• 1x DiGiorno Cheese Pizza: $5
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef: $1.50
  • Package Kraft American slices: $2
  • 8x Hamburger buns: $1
  • 12x Taco shell: $1
  • 1 head lettuce: $1
  • Frozen chicken nuggets, 36 count: $5
  • Frozen french fries: $2
  • 6x Ramen noodles: $6/1 (can't pass up a deal)
  • Grand Total: $24.50

So, now we will assemble our pizza.  This is price per unit
  • Pizza: $5
  • 2x burgers: 1.40
  • 2x tacos: 1.25
  • 12x nuggets: 1.75
  • Fries: .50
  • Noodles: .35
  • Grand Total: $10.25

Pretty good price!  Let's assemble our restaurant pizza, eh?
  • Large Cheese Pizza, Pizza Hut: $12
  • 2x Double Cheeseburger, McD's: $2
  • 2x Crunchy Tacos, Taco Bell: $2
  • 12 ct. Chicken Fries, BK: $5
  • Large Fries, McD's: $3
  • Large Chow Mein, Panda Express: $5
  • Grand Total: $29!!!

Twenty nine dollars!  And that's just for one person!!!  Imagine feeding an average family of four, that's outrageous.  WAKE UP AMERICA.  These companies will continue to charge you as long as you're willing to keep paying.  We need to stand up for our rights as Americans.  Do you think Ben Franklin would have taken this lying down?  General Stonewall Jackson?  John D. Rockefeller?  NONONO

Yes We Can!!!
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

You posted about drinks being too expensive aswell didnt you...

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Omn nom nom nom.....

What?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Or you can buy reasonably priced goods in a grocery store that *won't* kill you within 3 years...

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Osaladin

This isn't surprising, restaurants have always been charging people more money than it would cost for the consumer to actually make it themselves. But that's the whole point, they are profiting on people's laziness. Why go through all the hassle of making it yourself when you can just order it, even though it usually takes the same amount of time of making it at home.

JDUB_XL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JDUB_XL

"topping a cheese pizza with two cheeseburgers, two crunchy tacos, 12 chicken nuggets, a 'large' order of french fries, and a 'large' order of chow mein noodles."

This must win the award for the most awkward to eat Pizza in history.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MC_Izawa
Jayge said:
"Or you can buy reasonably priced goods in a grocery store that *won't* kill you within 3 years..."
The point of this topic isn't to preach to people, it's to show that companies are overcharging us for the delicious food that we love.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ

This kind of thing is pretty much a staple of conservatism. Let the free market decide how much a dominos pizza is worth. I certainly dont have any problem with it, but if you do, i recommend you stop buying those food products, because as long as people will buy their product at that price, they will continue to sell it at that price. 

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eclipsesis

a friend of mine visited the US to stay with her father, she sent me a picture of some food she bought at wendy's and it was crazy big in size it would probably be equivilent to meals for me

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gunner

your paying for convenience, besides you can get a large cheese pizza for 6 bucks at pizza hut now.

those prices dont add up at all either.

you forgot the ketchup, pickles and mustard.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Commando
MC_Izawa said:
"6x Ramen noodles: $6/1 (can't pass up a deal)
that's expensive! its 15 cents per package here, or $1.50 for 12.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gunner
Commando said:
"MC_Izawa said:
"
now i want ramen noodles.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo

The key to saving money is buying ingredients as a smart shopper.

Gunner said:

"your paying for convenience"
That's true, but I've read a lot of magazines describing how to save cash grocery shopping. One thing they point out are brand names. You're not just paying for convenience, but the marketing and the trademarked name. I feel MC's example would have been even more impactful if he used store-brand products. They are proven to be cheaper and taste almost the same. (Although not always cheaper.)

Edit: This is how you shop.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By maxszy
Commando said:
"MC_Izawa said:
"
Damn where are you then?
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Commando
Maxszy said:
"Commando said:
"MC_Izawa said:
"
Damn where are you then?"
Auburn, Al. They're 17 cents in my hometown, Mobile Al.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By dethfish

Ummmm.....what? Are you trying to say Americans eat too much?

That reminds me, it's time for fourth meal.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeoMinor

2 bags of Dole mixed lettuce - $1.99
Bottle of ranch dressing - $1.99 (every other week)
16oz. water from the kitchen sink - $0.005
Box of Nature Valley Granola Bars - $1.99
Bag of 10 Apples - $3.99
4 Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Meals - $8.00
Bag of Chex Mix - $1.50

So it costs me about $20.00 every Sunday night when I go shopping.  Yeah, I am trying to point out that I eat healthier foods and it's too bad more people don't.  You would feel better, look better and save a hell of alot of money.  No one is forcing anyone to lay down $11.99 for a large Pizza Hut pizza.  Yeah, a salad doesn't taste as good as a pizza, but a fat ass doesn't look as good as Miss February.

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By RIP_Icewood
LeoMinor said:
"2 bags of Dole mixed lettuce - $1.99 Bottle of ranch dressing - $1.99 (every other week)16oz. water from the kitchen sink - $0.005Box of Nature Valley Granola Bars - $1.99Bag of 10 Apples - $3.994 Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Meals - $8.00Bag of Chex Mix - $1.50So it costs me about $20.00 every Sunday night when I go shopping.  Yeah, I am trying to point out that I eat healthier foods and it's too bad more people don't.  You would feel better, look better and save a hell of alot of money.  No one is forcing anyone to lay down $11.99 for a large Pizza Hut pizza.  Yeah, a salad doesn't taste as good as a pizza, but a fat ass doesn't look as good as Miss February."
I cant beleive u just spent 20 bones on a fancy salad. Ummmm.....
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Brundage

Dude I bought a fucking Whopper meal at BK the other day with a medium fry and drink, and almost couldn't finish that shit. And I'm a pretty big teenager that can eat a shit load. The drink sizes is what really got me, a fucking medium size drink looked like an XXL. I was like "wtf I think this is the wrong size"and the fat black chick was all like "naw baby that be the right size."

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LeoMinor
RIP_Icewood said:
"LeoMinor said:
"2 bags of Dole mixed lettuce - $1.99 Bottle of ranch dressing - $1.99 (every other week)16oz. water from the kitchen sink - $0.005Box of Nature Valley Granola Bars - $1.99Bag of 10 Apples - $3.994 Lean Cuisine or Healthy Choice Meals - $8.00Bag of Chex Mix - $1.50So it costs me about $20.00 every Sunday night when I go shopping.  Yeah, I am trying to point out that I eat healthier foods and it's too bad more people don't.  You would feel better, look better and save a hell of alot of money.  No one is forcing anyone to lay down $11.99 for a large Pizza Hut pizza.  Yeah, a salad doesn't taste as good as a pizza, but a fat ass doesn't look as good as Miss February."
I cant beleive u just spent 20 bones on a fancy salad. Ummmm.....
"
I can't believe you thought I spent $20 on a fancy salad.  That's the food I eat during a week, not for one salad.  It would take a 10 gallon bucket to make a salad that big.  Ummmmm.......
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Uhh... what? I would have happily settled for just the pizza...

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LeoMinor
Brundage said:
"Dude I bought a fucking Whopper meal at BK the other day with a medium fry and drink, and almost couldn't finish that shit. And I'm a pretty big teenager that can eat a shit load. The drink sizes is what really got me, a fucking medium size drink looked like an XXL. I was like "wtf I think this is the wrong size"and the fat black chick was all like "naw baby that be the right size.""
Wow, I felt like I was right there in line with you.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By subject2change

Of course restaurants overcharge, its a business as everything costs more than its "true" value, but you also need to remember there are employees they need to pay, make profit to keep a business open, pay for rent, etc, etc.
You also claim that Americans over eat and make crazy large portions...but ummm never heard of a "Home Made Fast Food Pizza" in all 23 years of my life, as a pizza with say some vegetables and meat is the normal but topping a pizza with another class of food like mexican, and continental...ya "we" are clearly the over eaters. I think maybe a "Home Made Fast Food Pizza" would feed a family of 8, 1 slice per person.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By inkeiren

Man. Some food is really cheap. I could live off of multivitamins and ramen and a few other foods. Sometimes it blows my mind how much could be saved for other things. Now if I just liked tap water....

justinnotjason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By justinnotjason
LeoMinor said:
You could just buy the lettuce and cut it yourself. Dole is making money off you being too lazy to chop the salad yourself.

inkeiren
said:
"Man. Some food is really cheap. I could live off of multivitamins and ramen and a few other foods. Sometimes it blows my mind how much could be saved for other things. Now if I just liked tap water...."
You do realize that 1 package of Ramen has about as much sodium as you're supposed to eat in one day.; and that's just one little meal of soup. That shit is terrible for you.
nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By nexas
Commando said:
"Maxszy said:
"Commando said:
"MC_Izawa said:
"
Damn where are you then?"
Auburn, Al. They're 17 cents in my hometown, Mobile Al."
Dude Mobile represent.

Also the TC will probably die from a heart attack in a couple years.
dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dr_nefarious
Bellum said:
"Omn nom nom nom.....What?"
I wish we still had the old karma system so I could give you a +1
JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JakJ

Thank god for Little Ceaser's Hot-n-Ready $5 pizzas. Those are $5, ready to order pizzas you just grab and go, then put whatever you like on at home for much cheaper than a traditional pizza joint.

In these tough economic times, we must cut costs wherever we can, but I'll be sodomized with a spoon before I stop eating my pizza.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By penguindust

I swear when I opened this thread I thought it would be a comment on how most American restaurants have serving sizes that are larger than they commonly are in other countries.  As a result, America is fat and in poor health.  Heavily fried and rich in calories, the food most Americans enjoy when they go out to eat leads to higher rates of heart disease and other related illnesses.  Instead the thread is a diatribe of how eating out is more expensive than preparing the same meal at home.  Duh!  You know why food in restaurants cost more than food you make at home?  Because employers have to pay higher medical insurance rates due to all the fat Americans getting diseases related to poor diet and lack of exercise.  A good place to start would be smaller, reasonable portion sizes served in national restaurant franchises.  The sad thing is, for most Americans, unless they push themselves away from the table stuffed, feel they've been cheated.  So portion sizes will remain unhealthily oversized and Americans will just keep getting fatter.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JakJ
PenguinDust said:
"I swear when I opened this thread I thought it would be a comment on how most American restaurants have serving sizes that are larger than they commonly are in other countries.  As a result, America is fat and in poor health.  Heavily fried and rich in calories, the food most Americans enjoy when they go out to eat leads to higher rates of heart disease and other related illnesses.  Instead the thread is a diatribe of how eating out is more expensive than preparing the same meal at home.  Duh!  You know why food in restaurants cost more than food you make at home?  Because employers have to pay higher medical insurance rates due to all the fat Americans getting diseases related to poor diet and lack of exercise.  A good place to start would be smaller, reasonable portion sizes served in national restaurant franchises.  The sad thing is, for most Americans, unless they push themselves away from the table stuffed, feel they've been cheated.  So portion sizes will remain unhealthily oversized and Americans will just keep getting fatter. "

It's nice you know so much about 'most Americans'

If you knew anything about 'most Americans' you'd know how much they hate condescending, conceited little pricks telling them how they should live their lives.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hatking

PenguinDust is right, it is disgusting what we've turned food into.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK

$5 for a pizza is ridiculously expensive

But yeah......

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By penguindust
JakJ said:
"PenguinDust said:
"I swear when I opened this thread I thought it would be a comment on how most American restaurants have serving sizes that are larger than they commonly are in other countries.  As a result, America is fat and in poor health.  Heavily fried and rich in calories, the food most Americans enjoy when they go out to eat leads to higher rates of heart disease and other related illnesses.  Instead the thread is a diatribe of how eating out is more expensive than preparing the same meal at home.  Duh!  You know why food in restaurants cost more than food you make at home?  Because employers have to pay higher medical insurance rates due to all the fat Americans getting diseases related to poor diet and lack of exercise.  A good place to start would be smaller, reasonable portion sizes served in national restaurant franchises.  The sad thing is, for most Americans, unless they push themselves away from the table stuffed, feel they've been cheated.  So portion sizes will remain unhealthily oversized and Americans will just keep getting fatter. "
It's nice you know so much about 'most Americans' If you knew anything about 'most Americans' you'd know how much they hate condescending, conceited little pricks telling them how they should live their lives."
Okay, I probably should have said "a significant number of Americans" or "an unacceptable number of Americans".  As an American myself, I can recognize when I've made a mistake, can't I?  But having admitted that, if most Americans do hate condescending, conceited little pricks telling them how they should live their lives, then they should focus their outrage on the American Medical Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the US Department of Health and Human Services.  I didn't just make up the links between portion size and obesity, as studies have shown they do indeed exist.  If we, as a culture, are so easily offended by someone recommending to us to eat better, eat healthier, then we've got bigger problems than just the size of our collective fat asses.

Cornell University study
University of Illinois study