American Iran rallies don't accomplish anything.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PercyChuggs

So a bunch of cool, hip, trendy college students at the University of Minnesota (as well as probably every other big college campus in America) rallied today in support of the whole Iran thing. Which is absolutely pointless, and just an excuse for people to do some chest beating and get a bit of attention. Honestly, do the people in Iran who are getting stomped on by police give a crap about some kid who has lived in posh American suburbs his whole life holding up a sign on the corner? NO. Will a group of dudes chanting "Where's My Vote!" right before they hit up the bars for a night of hitting on skanks bring any kind of change at all? NO! So then what's the point, really? If you ask me, it's just a waste of time, and an act that only goes to make these people feel more important than they really are.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By End_Boss

What's the point of any rally? To raise awareness. Stop looking down your nose at them; even if they didn't do it for the right reasons, they got people's attention (including yours, obviously), and that's the thing you should take away from it.

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lukeissxc

Whats the point of this post? To make yourself seem more important than you really are?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PercyChuggs
@End_Boss said:
" What's the point of any rally? To raise awareness. Stop looking down your nose at them; even if they didn't do it for the right reasons, they got people's attention (including yours, obviously), and that's the thing you should take away from it. "
Ok, and what does this "awareness" do? Also nothing. Just because you are aware of something doesn't mean you care. @lukeissxc said:
"

Whats the point of this post? To make yourself seem more important than you really are?

"

Protestors are allowed to voice their opinions, I am allowed to voice mine. And you're right, I am so much more important than those people, obviously.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
@PercyChuggs said:
" So a bunch of cool, hip, trendy college students at the University of Minnesota (as well as probably every other big college campus in America) rallied today in support of the whole Iran thing. Which is absolutely pointless, and just an excuse for people to do some chest beating and get a bit of attention. Honestly, do the people in Iran who are getting stomped on by police give a crap about some kid who has lived in posh American suburbs his whole life holding up a sign on the corner? NO. Will a group of dudes chanting "Where's My Vote!" right before they hit up the bars for a night of hitting on skanks bring any kind of change at all? NO! So then what's the point, really? If you ask me, it's just a waste of time, and an act that only goes to make these people feel more important than they really are. "
Yeah they do actually. I would know since I have family living in Iran. It's very important for them knowing that they have support outside the country and that people know they are trying to to change and the struggle that entails. So shut up.
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez
@lukeissxc said:
"

"
Right, they don't have a direct impact on the Iranians and he doesn't have a direct impact on the protesters by posting on Giantbomb.  Therefore he = protesters.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

This post didn't accomplish anything but that didn't stop you.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@Diamond said:
" This post didn't accomplish anything but that didn't stop you. "
Zing!  Nicely said.  
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Seedofpower
@PercyChuggs said:
" @End_Boss said:
" What's the point of any rally? To raise awareness. Stop looking down your nose at them; even if they didn't do it for the right reasons, they got people's attention (including yours, obviously), and that's the thing you should take away from it. "
Ok, and what does this "awareness" do? Also nothing. Just because you are aware of something doesn't mean you care. @lukeissxc said:
"

"
Protestors are allowed to voice their opinions, I am allowed to voice mine. And you're right, I am so much more important than those people, obviously. "
How about you voice your opinion in the proper forum. Like the off-topic section, seeing as how this is a video game website.
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Randolph

Voicing your opinion is fine and dandy, but it would be nice if you could do it in the correct forum.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By jonnyboy

They do it so people discuss their issue. We are. It worked. That's why people protest.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_

This thread didn't accomplish anything.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Nasar7

Your pessimistic worldview is so original and refreshing, let's just all not give a shit about anything and all the world's problems will right themselves.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wolverine
@PercyChuggs said:
" So a bunch of cool, hip, trendy college students at the University of Minnesota (as well as probably every other big college campus in America) rallied today in support of the whole Iran thing. Which is absolutely pointless, and just an excuse for people to do some chest beating and get a bit of attention. Honestly, do the people in Iran who are getting stomped on by police give a crap about some kid who has lived in posh American suburbs his whole life holding up a sign on the corner? NO. Will a group of dudes chanting "Where's My Vote!" right before they hit up the bars for a night of hitting on skanks bring any kind of change at all? NO! So then what's the point, really? If you ask me, it's just a waste of time, and an act that only goes to make these people feel more important than they really are. "
The point is to show American politicians that Americans support the idea of freedom in Iran.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By toowalrus

The Iranian riots don't accomplish much ether, ya know?

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sabata

Yeah, fuck protesting!  Let's get rid of it!  In fact, let's get rid of that whole pesky First Ammendment!  I mean, really, what good does it do anyone?

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PercyChuggs
@Sabata said:
" Yeah, fuck protesting!  Let's get rid of it!  In fact, let's get rid of that whole pesky First Ammendment!  I mean, really, what good does it do anyone? "
Did I ever say anything about how they shouldn't be allowed to protest? No. And yes, it's the First Amendment that also gives me the right to say that standing on a corner with a sign does not get anything done. Want to support them? Send some money to one of the charities or organizations over there, and let them put it to use in ways that could actually help the people. But hey, shouting slogans for the local news team is one thing, spending REAL money is another, right?

And to those saying "blah blah blah, this thread didn't accomplish anything", it's not supposed to. It's someones opinion on a forum. I don't pretend that this changed anyone's mind about anything.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By EvilTwin
@PercyChuggs said:
" @Sabata said:
" Yeah, fuck protesting!  Let's get rid of it!  In fact, let's get rid of that whole pesky First Ammendment!  I mean, really, what good does it do anyone? "
Did I ever say anything about how they shouldn't be allowed to protest? No. And yes, it's the First Amendment that also gives me the right to say that standing on a corner with a sign does not get anything done. Want to support them? Send some money to one of the charities or organizations over there, and let them put it to use in ways that could actually help the people. But hey, shouting slogans for the local news team is one thing, spending REAL money is another. "
This is really stupid.  Aside from the fact that one person telling a thousand people about what's happening is probably more important in the long run than that one person just keeping their mouth shut and donating, what makes you think these people (at least some of them) aren't doing both?
SaucySala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By SaucySala

People rallying behind a good cause is always good.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Gunner

Your missing the point of a rally... seeing people in other countries support their cause might give them the moral that they need.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sabata
@PercyChuggs: I don't remember saying that you said that protesting should be banned. You said it was pointless, and I was making fun of your statement by making a snarky and sarcastic comment in this fine thread of yours. But please, don't mind me, continue undermining the usefulness of something that has been at the core of this country since before its founding. 
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Commando
Obama rescinds Iran's invitations to 4th of July Party

I'm not saying the American rallies are the whole reason Obama didn't them, but I bet they had something to do with it.

Edit: Damn CNN changed the name of the article since I bookmarked it. It used to say "considering". Now it says Rescinds.