Americans, will you watch/care about the World Cup?

• 104 results
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By Brundage

Well considering the United States is one of FIFA's most important markets and we already pay the largest television rights fees to FIFA of any country, i'd say a large number of American's will watch and care about the World Cup when the time comes around.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ethan

None of my friends watch it.  I dont.  Yet it's the only team sport I'd want to play... and yet I dont.  So nope. 

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53  Edited By jonnyboy

If you are interested, this is probably a good place to start: Saturday 12th of June, Group C, England Vs USA. 

Catch it on the web, should be good.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Rio

The only sporting event I care about is F1, and some le mans here and there.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By wefwefasdf

No. I'll probably catch the highlights online but I don't plan on sitting down and watching it.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@Blueman said:
"

How big is Football over there?

"
I'm Canadian, but we've (North America) got the MLS. I know it's insanely popular here in Toronto. It sells out every single game (around 20,000 people). I believe Los Angeles sells a lot of tickets too. Sadly though, the quality just isn't very good. I'd be hard pressed to put it at the same level of third division English football.  

@samcotts said: 
" It's a real shame that most Americans don't seem to care, the USA have a really strong team. You should easily qualify for the knock-out rounds. "
Oh God I would hope so. Every staff member of that team needs to be fired if they can't stroll out of that group in at least second place (I don't see them beating England).    

As for the topic at hand, I love the World Cup. Canada haven't qualified in like 60 years or something, and we've got an absolutely awful squad, but I love the sport and I love the World Cup. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ryanwho

Basketball and handegg are enough for me. You bitch about your sport not flying here and never give our sports a chance. So I guess its just bullshit nationalism from both ends.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By triple07

Not really interested but my sports interests are pretty narrow so its not just soccer (or football in other countries) that I don't care about. For instance I simply can't watch baseball. i find it so boring!

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#59  Edited By raidingkvatch

I'm not American and I still don't care, football is not my thing at all.

dougmansion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By dougmansion

The World Cup is about the only time I'll watch soccer of my own volition. I'm pretty excited for it, even if I don't know anything about the players. Now I just need to find out how to stream this Saturday's game at work...  

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By FakePlasticTree
@dougmansion said:
"  The World Cup is about the only time I'll watch soccer of my own volition. I'm pretty excited for it, even if I don't know anything about the players. Now I just need to find out how to stream this Saturday's game at work...   "
Does ESPN or anything not live stream it? That seems like something ESPN would get the rights for. 
dougmansion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By dougmansion
BlackIrish05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#63  Edited By BlackIrish05

I'm not a big soccer fan, but when the world cup comes around, I just have to watch.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#64  Edited By citizenkane

Yeah, I'll tune in to watch some games every now and then.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#65  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'm gonna watch the USA vs. England game on Saturday. Maybe I'll watch the finals match too, or whatever its called.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Coombs

I'm Canadian,
but the answer is No.
Soccer is not fun to watch.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By godzilla_sushi
@samcotts said:
" I'm wondering how much you Americans care about the greatest sporting event in the world, and if you will be watching the USA team play at all (or at the very least look at the results). "
Pretty high opinion of the Olympics I see!
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#68  Edited By gla55jAw

HELL NO.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#69  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Yup yup, the US got a bunch of bad calls thrown their way last time, so all they need is fewer of those and they could be one of the most dangerous teams in the field.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70  Edited By JJOR64

I don't care about the World Cup so No.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#71  Edited By Daveyo520

Wow, this is really even.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By cap123

You should all give it a chance with the England vs. USA game on saturday. That game should be great and a great way to kick it off. Unlike the first few games which feature the host team in the competition (who automatically get in despite being 78th in the world) and a seriously misfiring team in the shape of France.

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

Not really into sports at all myself, but I know a lot of people here stateside that are WAAAAAAY into soccer/football.

PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PoppaKyle

Hell yeas it's awesome. I'm from Turkey tho so..
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SSValis

I watch hockey, its like soccer but exciting. I will watch it if the u.s. plays North Korea though

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By yukoasho

I've been looking at soccer some lately, as ESPN always shows MLS during the season and there's plenty of soccer on the ESPN3 web service.   I'm probably not going to be watching a ton of games live due to the time difference, but I'll certainly watch 'em on ESPN3, it looks interesting.

However, it's just not going to be on the level of American Football.  I can see it soon outpacing hockey and giving baseball and basketball a run for their money (look how close to even the yes and no votes are), but American Football is king in this country.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By masternater27

I'll maybe watch some US games.  Maybe.  To me soccer is essentially hockey without any danger on a football sized field.  I love me some hockey, but take out the cross checking and fighting and make the rink like 100 times bigger and I'd certainly fall asleep, as I do whenever soccer is on.  I'd love to go to a game in person in a country that loves it though.  Shit looks nuts.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By teeknuts
@masternater27:  I could show you some pictures that might make you re-think your idea of soccer not being dangerous.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Dalai

It must be quite the cup if it belongs to the world.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By masternater27
@Teeknuts said:
" @masternater27:  I could show you some pictures that might make you re-think your idea of soccer not being dangerous. "
Well yeah, I could show you pictures of people who have shattered their eye sockets during baseball games too.
GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

No! We don't like soccer! Leave us alone!

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By teeknuts
@masternater27: I had a friend in high school who took two ground balls off of the face, he was pretty messed up for a while. Also, a shattered eye socket is pretty bad, but just put "cisse injury" into google and see what comes up. If that doesn't do it for you, try "Eduardo injury." Both of those are like the Joe Thiesmann leg break times ten.
yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By yukoasho
@masternater27:  I think the point Teeknuts was trying to make is that soccer isn't a soft sport, even if the international players love to fake injuries.  Try watching some MLS some time, you don't see that crap much if at all.  But yeah, you can get some pretty gnarly injuries in any sport, really.

teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By teeknuts

Oh man this whole discussion has me looking at things that I immediately wish I hadn't. 

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Hourai

I don't watch or play soccer, so I don't really care about it. The only sport I watch is hockey. 

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By masternater27
@YukoAsho:  @Teeknuts:  It is so much less impact and generally feels like less is happening than all of the sports that I enjoy.  Like even though baseball is slow and boring to most the batter/pitcher matchup is something unrivaled in sports.  It's essentially a chess match with athleticism thrown in.  Too much soccer takes place at midfield for me to get into it.  It should be noted that I played baseball for like 12 years though.  

And while nasty leg breaks are gross, yo this dude was seconds away from dying.  It makes me physically ill to watch this.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ChickenPants
@masternater27 said:

" @YukoAsho:  @Teeknuts:  It has so much less impact and generally feels like less is happening than all of the sports that I enjoy.  Like even though baseball is slow and boring to most the batter/pitcher matchup is something unrivaled in sports.  It's essentially a chess match with athleticism thrown in. 

I just see it as a simpler version of the cricket bowler/batter matchup.
teeknuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By teeknuts
@masternater27: Yeah when he takes off the mask.........ugh, I want this conversation to be over.

Also, I love baseball and hockey as well, but I guess I feel the opposite, that something is always going on in soccer. I guess it's kinda the same way as hockey, with how fluid the game is, but soccer is more technical. Or something. Any way, Yeah, World Cup! I'm excited.
sasnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By sasnipes

I've never been this excited for a World Cup! I'm going to watch as many games as my schedule will allow me, and probably have the others on in the lab :)

Also, while I want the USA to win, I've got my money on either Argentina, Germany or England. But hey, what the hell do I know. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

ShaolinSpade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#91  Edited By ShaolinSpade

I'm American and I cannot wait for the world cup! I probably wont be able to watch any of it live but i'm gonna record all of it and watch what i miss at a later date. I'm excited about seeing America win 3 games total and then watch Brazil disappoint again. 

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#92  Edited By JackiJinx

Soccer is the only sport I've neither enjoyed playing or watching, so no. 

SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By SpecTackle

Not in the least. Not that I don't respect the sport, it just doesn't interest me.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By dfsvegas

Soccer is great in theory, but in practice, it's hard to watch... Specifically, the flopping. For fucks sake, take a hit like a man, and get the fuck up.  

Worst of all, since flopping is popular and accepted in the world's most popular sport, it's now creeping into other sports, like Basketball (my personal sport of choice).  

Thank you South America and Europe, for raising a generation of flopping pussies. 

All that said, I can't wait for Saturday. Yes, I'm from America, and I'm rooting for the US. Although, since I'm a casual fan, and half Italian, I'm rooting for both.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jim_dandy

Bitch, I only watch curling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I love how they keep pushing soccer on us (Americans). Sure we flirt with soccer every now and then like with Pele, the sports bra chick, and that David Beckham fellow but we promptly forget about it a month or two later. Really the only people that watch soccer in the states are immigrants (both legal and illegal) who are 2 or less generations removed from there homeland, hipsters, college kids, and degenerate gamblers who will bet on anything sports related. 
We didn't accept the much more logical metric system what makes you think we will accept the most popular sport in the world ?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#97  Edited By penguindust

If it's on Sportscenter (ESPN, an all sports cable network in the US), I'll watch the highlights, but I won't tune in to the show just to catch the World Cup standings.  Currently, the National Basketball Association championship play-offs are going on and that has everyone's attention.  The National Hockey League's Stanley Cup play-offs just ended (congrats to Chicago) and the US Open golf tournament starts next week.   Plus, we're in the midst of baseball season.  All of these sports are more popular in the United States than soccer.  The sport is played by school children here, but it holds no wide interest as a spectator sport. 

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By EdIsCool

sports which feature heavy cheating with steroids are better than sports in which someone uses guile and trickery to get a man sent off. 

Discuss?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@EdIsCool said:

" sports which feature heavy cheating with steroids are better than sports in which someone uses guile and trickery to get a man sent off.  Discuss? "

A real sport isn't able to be played by my 5 year old niece. Discuss? 
MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

I'm pretty excited about it.