Angels and Demons Review

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Edited By giyanks22

So I saw Angels and Demons last night and....

Summary: Exceeds The Da Vinci Code in every way.

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

As I sat in the theater almost crying to myself in dismay over the atrocity Ron Howard and Tom Hanks call the Da Vinci Code, I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel that is Angels and Demons.

Hanks and Company are back for the Sequel-Prequel Angels and Demons, and they have learned their lesson.

Acting wise everyone is much better. Aylet Zurer is very good as Vittoria Vetra, and better than the girl who played Sophie Neveau. Tom Hanks is very good as always, he is better in this though, because he works harder at giving the movie the feeling that it is a thriller. I think Ewan McGregor does the best job of any of the actors. He might even deserve a nomination come March, but doubtful. He had me convinced right until the very end. He's Dynamic and faithful, but rational, and realizes that the Church needs to put their past behind them. The minor actors also do very good jobs.

Technically and Visually the movie is much improved. The Cinematography is much...much better, and the Visual Effects are superb. The final explosion sequence at the end is excellent. Howard does a masterful job, taking you through a tour of Rome.

Pacing wise, Ron Howard does an amazing job this time around at keeping the story moving, and not boring us with a history lesson deemed at denouncing Christianity. The movie also makes you feel like more is at stake. In our feeble minds discovering whether or not Jesus had children, is not as high up on the list compared to a cataclysmic explosion killing thousands including the Roman Catholic Church. Part of the reason I think the story is so fast paced is due to the excellent score. I cannot say enough about the score. It was epic at times, like something from Lord of the Rings, but then sometimes it felt like a Bourne Movie, which is a nice mix.

My only complaint about this movie is that it is ridiculously far fetched. The chances of the Carmelengo being someone of Ewan McGregors age are highly improbable, and the chances of a Cardinal with an adopted son getting elected Pope are even more ridiculous. Not to mention the whole Antimatter thing, which has yet to be created, and Dan Brown wrote the book in 2003...

Overall Angels and Demons is much tighter knit, faster paced, more exciting, and more important movie than the Da Vinci Code. This is must see thriller for anyone who loves history and mystery combined into one.

Also on Mass Effect 2 and Bionic Commando:

I saw the Developers commentary on Pre-E3 stuff for ME2, and it looks amazing. If they can fix the games many technical flaws, then they'll be able to create one the greatest RPGS ever.

Also the Bionic Commando Launch Trailer looked great, and I'll be getting that...very...very soon.

Peace Happy gaming.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By giyanks22

So I saw Angels and Demons last night and....

Summary: Exceeds The Da Vinci Code in every way.

*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

As I sat in the theater almost crying to myself in dismay over the atrocity Ron Howard and Tom Hanks call the Da Vinci Code, I could not see the light at the end of the tunnel that is Angels and Demons.

Hanks and Company are back for the Sequel-Prequel Angels and Demons, and they have learned their lesson.

Acting wise everyone is much better. Aylet Zurer is very good as Vittoria Vetra, and better than the girl who played Sophie Neveau. Tom Hanks is very good as always, he is better in this though, because he works harder at giving the movie the feeling that it is a thriller. I think Ewan McGregor does the best job of any of the actors. He might even deserve a nomination come March, but doubtful. He had me convinced right until the very end. He's Dynamic and faithful, but rational, and realizes that the Church needs to put their past behind them. The minor actors also do very good jobs.

Technically and Visually the movie is much improved. The Cinematography is much...much better, and the Visual Effects are superb. The final explosion sequence at the end is excellent. Howard does a masterful job, taking you through a tour of Rome.

Pacing wise, Ron Howard does an amazing job this time around at keeping the story moving, and not boring us with a history lesson deemed at denouncing Christianity. The movie also makes you feel like more is at stake. In our feeble minds discovering whether or not Jesus had children, is not as high up on the list compared to a cataclysmic explosion killing thousands including the Roman Catholic Church. Part of the reason I think the story is so fast paced is due to the excellent score. I cannot say enough about the score. It was epic at times, like something from Lord of the Rings, but then sometimes it felt like a Bourne Movie, which is a nice mix.

My only complaint about this movie is that it is ridiculously far fetched. The chances of the Carmelengo being someone of Ewan McGregors age are highly improbable, and the chances of a Cardinal with an adopted son getting elected Pope are even more ridiculous. Not to mention the whole Antimatter thing, which has yet to be created, and Dan Brown wrote the book in 2003...

Overall Angels and Demons is much tighter knit, faster paced, more exciting, and more important movie than the Da Vinci Code. This is must see thriller for anyone who loves history and mystery combined into one.

Also on Mass Effect 2 and Bionic Commando:

I saw the Developers commentary on Pre-E3 stuff for ME2, and it looks amazing. If they can fix the games many technical flaws, then they'll be able to create one the greatest RPGS ever.

Also the Bionic Commando Launch Trailer looked great, and I'll be getting that...very...very soon.

Peace Happy gaming.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jack_daniels

Wow thanks for the reivew, I may have to see it now. I did read the books after all.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By giyanks22

Yeah...It is very entertaining, and even though its Two Hours, it flies by like a bullet.

jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jack_daniels

lol I always rank my movies on how many times I look at my watch during the show. Ive got crazy ADD so it can be quite often. Bad movies 5+ checks Good movies 2 or less checks.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Gunner

is this a movie that an athiest would enjoy?

What im trying to say is would this by the kind of movie that an athiest would feel uncomfortable watching? Im thinking about giving this a watch but if its nothing but a bunch of people  trying to warp christianity around to fit in with modern times im going to have to give it a pass.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By azteris
Gunner said:
is this a movie that an athiest would enjoy? What im trying to say is would this by the kind ... [more]
Yes, I would say so. I'm agnostic and the religious stuff didn't bother me.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

How does it stack against the book? I loved the book (by the way, some of you may simply know of that as Illuminati). I watched Da Vinci without reading the book and while it obviously doesn't compare to Angels & Demons as a story and plot, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought just by hearing opinions... But since I've read the Angels & Demons book I may be more critical of the movie so who knows.... I'll watch it next year or something anyway. And yeah, watch it you atheists... It's a mystery story, not religious... Lol. Why would it make anyone uncomfortable anyway? Do Christians get uncomfortable watching 7 years in Tibet? Lol. Silly :)

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gunner
Azteris said:
Gunner said: is this a movie that an athiest would enjoy? What im trying to say is would this by ... [more]
ill check it out then, thanks.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azteris
Al3xand3r said:
How does it stack against the book? I loved the book (by the way, some of you may simply know ... [more]
It's a mystery story that involves the hierarchy, structure, image, and dealings of the Catholic Church. Furthermore, the enemy (won't go further into it to avoid spoilers) is a group that is made-up of people that fit the stereotypical atheist.

I can see the potential for discomfort.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

No more discomfort than seeing a priest on the way to work... I'm not Catholic, it was still cool to read all that stuff.. The Vatican is certainly an interesting concept and setting whether you have their beliefs or not... As for the "enemy" meh, there's fanatics in every belief, it doesn't describe the average person just because they may share some similar beliefs. The movie has nothing to be uncomfortable about no matter your belief, imo. Er, I mean the book, I haven't watched the movie. Lol.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gunner
Al3xand3r said:
How does it stack against the book? I loved the book (by the way, some of you may simply know ... [more]
I would get uncomfortable if i was watching something like this that was ment to be taken literally, but after reading more reviews its more of a "what-if" kinda mystery movie.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By azteris
Al3xand3r said:
No more discomfort than seeing a priest on the way to work... I'm not Catholic, it was still cool to ... [more]
I do enjoy the fact that your so stupid you believe there's anything that no one can find uncomfortable. I personally don't find it uncomfortable at all, and recommended to him to see it, but I could understand someone being uncomfortable because of the way the "enemy" is portrayed.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

So you agree he wouldn't be uncomfortable and recommend he watches it... But on the other hand I'm stupid for thinking there's nothing to be uncomfortable about in it. Mind blown. Also, fuck you, there's no reason to call people idiots out of nowhere. It doesn't make you look smart.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By azteris
Al3xand3r said:
So you agree he wouldn't be uncomfortable and recommend he watches it... But on the other hand I'm stupid for ... [more]
No, I recommended it personal level. I thought that chances are, he wouldn't mind it. Most people won't. However, you asserted that NO ONE could find it offensive, which is absurd.

There's a difference.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By giyanks22

Angels and Demons is not as confrontational as the Da Vinci Code, and it is a much better story. It's a thriller, while Da Vinci Code is a mystery that doesn't really feel like anything's at stake.

Scarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scarecrow
Al3xand3r said:
I almost walked out halfway through this movie, just because I was so frustrated with how much of the novels story had been changed. Characters like Olivetti and the Hassassins roles in the movie were completely different. Maximillian Kohler and Leonardo Vetra were not even in the movie, and several important plot twists were either absent, or different.

Whether the movie is any good or not, I cant really say because I spent too much time rolling my eyes at things that had been changed, but as a fan of the novel, I really disliked what happened to alot of the story.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By teh_destroyer

I want to see this movie as I loved The Davinci Code, Angels and Demons looks really good.Tom Hanks needs to get his act together and do another action movie,that will break his trend.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
Staff said:
Has been deleted..
That's... Weird. Oh well, I'll probably watch it on DVD a year from now and think it's okay...
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman

Sounds good. Thanks for the review. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary story wise to watch the first one before watching this?

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By azteris
JJWeatherman said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the review. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary story wise to watch the first ... [more]
Other than a few lines, they don't really reference the first one much.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CL60

I thought it was mediocre.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r
JJWeatherman said:
Sounds good. Thanks for the review. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary story wise to watch the first ... [more]
Angels & Demons takes place before The Da Vinci Code  actually. At least in the books, but I don't think they'd change it that much?
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By azteris
Al3xand3r said:
JJWeatherman said: Sounds good. Thanks for the review. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary story wise to watch ... [more]
They reference it in the beginning of the movie.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
Azteris said:
JJWeatherman said: Sounds good. Thanks for the review. Can anyone tell me if it is necessary story wise to watch ... [more]
OK thanks.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright.  It read more like a tourist guide than an actual story.  I wanted to read Angels and Demons, but I was always afraid that it would end up being the same way:  talking more about the locations and the history than the actual story at hand.  Granted, in order to tell the story in any fashion in DVC, Brown HAD to get into all the history of stuff.

Nonetheless, everyone I know that has seen the movie and read the book said this was just as atrocious as the movie for Da Vinci Code was.  However, I haven't read the book, so maybe I won't be affected the same way.  Since I don't wanna potentially get burned at the theatre, though, I'm just going to wait for the DVD to come out.

In spite of all that, you wrote up a good review.  Thank you much.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By azteris
jakob187 said:
I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright. It read more like a tourist guide than an ... [more]
Name a few movies that were adapted from a book that was praised by the majority of people who read the book.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
Azteris said:
jakob187 said: I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright. It read more like a tourist guide ... [more]
If I must:

Dolores Claiborne
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
No Country for Old Men
Lord of the Rings
The Godfather
The Princess Bride
Charlotte's Web
Fight Club
The Silence of the Lambs
Jaws
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
American Psycho

You were saying?
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By azteris
jakob187 said:
Azteris said: jakob187 said: I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright. It read more like a ... [more]
I don't know who you talk to, but at least half of those aren't seen as better by most people that read the book.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
Azteris said:
jakob187 said: Azteris said: jakob187 said: I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright. It read more ... [more]
Riiiiiiiiiight....
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By azteris
jakob187 said:
Azteris said: jakob187 said: Azteris said: jakob187 said: I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was alright. It ... [more]
I've never heard a single person say that the movies for Lord of the Rings, Fight Club, or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas were better than the book.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'm always curious what the sample size is for people on the internet that qualifies as "most people" and where they acquire said information.

@OP: Thanks for the review.  Sounds interesting even though I didn't see The Da Vinci Code, so I can't relate.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
Azteris said:
jakob187 said: Azteris said: jakob187 said: Azteris said: jakob187 said: I had read The Da Vinci Code and it was ... [more]
You never said anything about BETTER than the book.  You said AS PRAISED as the book.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By maxszy

I enjoyed it at a lot. It was a very entertaining film that was better than the first and the bits it changed from the book, were acceptable.

*BOOK/MOVIE SPOILER WARNING*

For instance, in the book the relationship between Vittoria and the professor/priest and CERN was much more involved. You came to learn that they were actually more like father/daughter than just work partners. They didn't really touch on this in the movie at all. While I noticed at the beginning, because there were no attempts to exploit that later in the film it worked. Second of all, Vittoria was captured in the book by the person executing the cardinals. That whole part was left out in the movie. While it may seem big, it worked in the movie and cut down on screen time that would of made the movie too long. Third, if I remember correctly Langdon had a fight in the water at where the 4th Cardinal was with the executer. It made sense to skip that out.

Overall I enjoyed it and if you are looking for an entaining movie I would say one should go as see this. Though I will still argue that they could have picked a better Langdon than Tom Hanks. Tom Hanks is a fabulous actor but he doesn't really fit the role of Langdon to me. I always thought of Langdon as a bit more agile and a younger professor. That being said, Ewan McGregor did a fantastic job and plays his role just great. Believeable till the end. If you haven't read the book or its been a long time and thus you may forget the ending a little bit, Ewan acted his character greatly.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive
reviews for this movie kinda suck, i won't be taking your word for it. even though i'd probably enjoy it. 
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By maxszy
TwoOneFive said:
reviews for this movie kinda suck, i won't be taking your word for it. even though i'd probably enjoy it. [more]
And this is a prime example of why I hate most movie critics. *sigh*
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
Maxszy said:
TwoOneFive said: reviews for this movie kinda suck, i won't be taking your word for it. even though i'd probably ... [more]
well rottentomatoes is a good thing to go by. i will eventually check this out on dvd but no way im seeing it in theaters. 
after i saw Star Trek, i got my summer movie fix. 
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Absurd

I've only read the Davinci code, Would I still enjoy this movie?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By teh_destroyer
Absurd said:
thats what the review is there for :|.
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Absurd
teh_destroyer said:
Absurd said: I've only read the Davinci code, Would I still enjoy this movie? thats what the review is there ... [more]
I only skimmed through the review :P
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By maxszy
Absurd said:
Yeah, you would for sure. Perhaps even more because you wouldn't know what was coming.

TwoOneFive said:
Maxszy said: TwoOneFive said: reviews for this movie kinda suck, i won't be taking your word for it. even though ... [more]
Well alright, understandable if you only like to go to the theaters every now and then. :)